I suspect that the "Great White Throne Judgment" as described in Revelation is only imagery rather than an event

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

I believe the word "everlasting" is a mistake. I believe the following translation is correct.

Mathew 25:41 CLNT
41 "Then shall He be declaring to those also at His left, 'Go from Me, you cursed, into the fire eonian, made ready for the Adversary and his messengers.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everlasting punishment is not temporary and destruction is not restoration.

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mat_25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

I believe the Bible from which you are borrowing these scriptures contradicts itself. In the verses that you shared here they say that people are condemned forever. In 1 Timothy 4:10 (and other) it says that Jesus is the savior of ALL people. So which is it? The CLNT does not contradict itself because it CORRECTLY translates the original scriptures.

Incorrect translations lead to incorrect beliefs, my brother.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@St. SteVen

We're told that when we die we are judged. I believe it is immediate. Why and how would we then appear at a later judgment, aka the "Great White Throne Judgment"?

A 'working understanding' in God's Word like Apostle Paul proposed prevents wonderings like the above thought.

Revelation 20 is laid out showing that ONLY Christ's elect that reign with Him are of the "first resurrection" and will not be subject to the "second death". It also reveals that the Judgment for the "second death" does NOT happen on the day of Christ's future return, but ONLY AFTER His "thousand years" reign with His elect.

So this is not difficult to understand, as long as one STAYS in the Revelation 20 Scripture AS WRITTEN.

You people who don't WANT to STAY in God's written Word, but rather come here to SPECULATE WITHOUT REASON, reveal you have ANOTHER AGENDA. You don't fool me at all.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@St. SteVen

We're told that when we die we are judged. I believe it is immediate. Why and how would we then appear at a later judgment, aka the "Great White Throne Judgment"?

I think John was given imagery of people being judged by Christ rather than an actual event wherein ALL people who ever lived are all judged at the same time.

I think we die and that most go to Heaven and some go to Hell.

Thoughts?
My view is that there is an Age of Reconciliation.
That "judgement" will be a public event. One person at a time.
The "judgement" will both rewards and correction.
With the goal of restoration/mercy/redemption.
There will also be a judgment of nations and leaders.

Before the Age of Reconciliation we are held in the Realm of the Dead -- Hades/Sheol.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the Age of Reconciliation we are held in the Realm of the Dead -- Hades/Sheol.

Our physical bodies, yes. However, I believe our souls immediately go to Heaven or Hell. I don't believe in "soul sleep". Jesus didn't soul sleep and neither does anyone else, or so I believe.

Reactions: ewq1938

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible from which you are borrowing these scriptures contradicts itself. In the verses that you shared here they say that people are condemned forever. In 1 Timothy 4:10 (and other) it says that Jesus is the savior of ALL people. So which is it?

You are misunderstanding what it means to be the Savior of all people. It means all kinds of people, not every single person. This is in harmony with everything scripture says about those who are saved and those who are not.

Again, even you deny Christ is the savior of all men in a hyper literal way because you said the really evil ones won't be saved.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you said the really evil ones won't be saved.

Evil, unrepentant, remorseless, people are probably sent to Hell. No, they are not saved from that fate. I'm saying that they will repent while in Hell and THEN they will be saved. In the end, all will be resurrected and one with God. 1 Corinthians 15.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are misunderstanding what it means to be the Savior of all people. It means all kinds of people, not every single person.

I believe Paul was speaking about every person who ever lived.

Anyway, I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for sharing!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are misunderstanding what it means to be the Savior of all people. It means all kinds of people, not every single person. This is in harmony with everything scripture says about those who are saved and those who are not.

Again, even you deny Christ is the savior of all men in a hyper literal way because you said the really evil ones won't be saved.

I personally see it as...

Jesus Christ had the victory over all things, he has saved people from "Sin, death, Satan, the beast, the false prophet, hades, satan and his angels', Jesus has saved all people from these things.

However - not everyone is 'saved to' the Kingdom as they choose to not believe, therefore their residence is outside of the Kingdom, as it states in Revelation 21-22, very helpful to consider these things, however there are many, many, many people that would disagree with me and therefore makes it look like an insignificant treasure to behold.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Corinthians chapter 5. Everyone must appear before judgement seat of christ.
Revelation chapter 20. . They are judged by their works.

At end of millennium, is judgement day.
How?? Because the wicked are in sheol, waiting for judgement day.
Luke chapter 16. Theirs two sides of the gulf. Paradise and sheol.
Revelation chapter 20. Hell gave up the dead. Everyone will be judged on judgement day. Revelation chapter 20. Hell, and sheol are the same.
Those found unworthy will go into lake of fire with satan. Your judged by your Works.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@St. SteVen

I think John was given imagery of people being judged by Christ rather than an actual event wherein ALL people who ever lived are all judged at the same time.

I think we die and that most go to Heaven and some go to Hell.

Thoughts?
Did you see post #27?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you see post #27?
Here it is...
Jesus taught the same as John

Matthew 13
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left
What's your point?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is that Jesus said that every with be judged and separated on the judgement day
I actually agree with that for the most part.
But we may see the definitions, order of events and outcome differently.
Anything else?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Which verse and Bible translation, please?
Actually, the burden of proof is on you to show scripture to back up your claim that the lake of fire is a temporary cleansing.

But I'll indulge you anyway:
And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where “ ‘the worms that eat them do not die, and the fire is not quenched.’
Mark 9:47‭-‬48 NIV

they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever.
Revelation 14:10‭ NIV

Reactions: St. SteVen