I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe tongues are given but not in the Pentecostal way.

Something that happened years ago is of interest here.

A young man fluently spoke an obscure foreign language went to a Pentecostal church that was heavy into tongues with interpreters.

At the right time He stood up and made a long statement in that language.

An interpreters immediately jumped up and interpreted. But it did not even faintly resemble what he said.

Something else to consider is Cults that practice tongues. They cannot be legitimate.

Mormons practiced tongues. No way those were from God.
On this note, my pastor's father was a full blooded Chippewa who was born and grew up in Canada. When he first came to the Lord, as led by the Holy Spirit he spoke in a fluent French while another new convert present at the same service spoke in a fluent Chippewa. Neither of the men knew the other at all prior to that day and neither one of them knew nor spoke any of the native language of the other.

Later in his life this same Chippewa became known in many places in the United States as an Indian healer although he never claimed to be a healer. God did however use him to heal many people of physical problems and diseases.

Reactions: Willie T

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes when a public tongue is spoken, someone who does not have the gift of interpretation will speak, utilizing a different gift of the Holy Ghost (such as word of wisdom or exhortation). In that the Holy Ghost would still be operating; but the words spoken secondarily would not match the first words.

There are those in the body of Christ who are disrespected by others and who would not have credibility in what they say doctrinally unless what they are saying is perceived to be the interpretation of a tongue. Sad but true.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is Holy Ghost; for the kjv is not an invalid translation.

Only the King James version says Holy Ghost. It is wrong.

Strong's Number: 4151 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
pneu'ma from (4154)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pneuma 6:332,876
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pnyoo'-mah Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    1. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the \\Holy\\ Spirit)
    2. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of \\Truth\\)
    3. never referred to as a depersonalised force
  2. the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    1. the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
    2. the soul
  3. a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    1. a life giving spirit
    2. a human soul that has left the body
    3. a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
      1. used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
      2. the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
  4. the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    1. the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
  5. a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    1. of the wind, hence the wind itself
    2. breath of nostrils or mouth

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Strong's Number: 4151 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
pneu'ma from (4154)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pneuma 6:332,876
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pnyoo'-mah Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    1. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the \\Holy\\ Spirit)
    2. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of \\Truth\\)
    3. never referred to as a depersonalised force
  2. the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    1. the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
    2. the soul
  3. a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    1. a life giving spirit
    2. a human soul that has left the body
    3. a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
      1. used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
      2. the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
  4. the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    1. the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
  5. a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    1. of the wind, hence the wind itself
    2. breath of nostrils or mouth
Nope. The kjv is correct in its rendering.

You have a personal bias against the kjv; so I see that that is where you are coming from.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the other translation, linguists, interlinears are all wrong.
I didn't say that.

Do you believe that every translation that differs from your preferred translation (the Nearly Inspired Version) has to be wrong because it does not translate it exactly the same as the NIV?

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person cannot speak in tongues, then an effective substitute might be to pray the disciples' prayer once a day.

Mat 6:5, And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:6, But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Mat 6:7, But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Mat 6:8, Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Mat 6:9, After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10, Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11, Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12, And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13, And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Mat 6:14, For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15, But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

It is implied that in praying the disciples' prayer, one is praying a general prayer that covers all of our needs. Because God knows what we really need before we pray. So then, in simply praying the disciples' prayer, we are lifting up a general prayer for the will of God; and trusting the Lord to do as He pleases in our lives, knowing that He will work all things out for the good in our lives (Romans 8:28).

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say that.

Do you believe that every translation that differs from your preferred translation (the Nearly Inspired Version) has to be wrong because it does not translate it exactly the same as the NIV?

No. But when the KJV gets words completely wrong it is wrong.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would take going through every verse line-by-line and showing that it is accurate to what the Holy Ghost intended to say; which would very likely take eons.

No; I think that the burden of proof is on you to show that it isn't.

That the kjv is inspired and inerrant is something that must be taken on faith; and therefore I take it on faith that the kjv is inspired and inerrant: and my faith is the substance of, and the evidence of, something in particular, Hebrews 11:1.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would take going through every verse line-by-line and showing that it is accurate to what the Holy Ghost intended to say; which would very likely take eons.

No; I think that the burden of proof is on you to show that it isn't.

That the kjv is inspired and inerrant is something that must be taken on faith; and therefore I take it on faith that the kjv is inspired and inerrant: and my faith is the substance of, and the evidence of, something in particular, Hebrews 11:1.

You mean your opinions.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It was right when the translation was made, but 'wrong' now only because the meaning of the word 'ghost' has changed over the centuries. To us modern English speakers, "ghost" implies a dead person - and the Holy Spirit is very much alive!

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was right when the translation was made, but 'wrong' now only because the meaning of the word 'ghost' has changed over the centuries. To us modern English speakers, "ghost" implies a dead person - and the Holy Spirit is very much alive!

I understand the history but the Greek predates that history and it is spirit not ghost.

You're referencing to popular/secular usage. There I agree.

My point is we simply do not speak 1769 English.

As you pointed out language evolves. There is no reason for a newbie to the Bible not only have to study what the Bible teaches but also to translate archaic English.

In other cases the KJV is just flat out wrong from the beginning. Such as Easter instead of Passover, a deliberate rewrite. Or adding words in versus that were never written in the originals.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can gain insight into who the Holy Spirit is by understanding the terminology in the kjv wherein He is called "the Holy Ghost."

He is the Spirit of Jesus who died, see Luke 23:46.