If atheists get accused of taking verses out of context, how do we know fundamentalists making those accusations aren’t doing the same as well?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God”

“its like this and like that and like this”

Obviously you don't understand the concept of "Scriptural Context."

Reactions: Jim B

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you not live in the now? Do you not think about the past in the now? Is the now not where everything happens?

And I don’t reject what I don’t know, that is your own assumption. You are projecting assuming onto me. I simply said “God” as a being is an unfalsifiable claim.
You don't know everything, and it shows. I have assumed nothing.

Nonetheless, it is your choice to get off at whatever stop you like.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know everything, and it shows. I have assumed nothing.

Nonetheless, it is your choice to get off at whatever stop you like.

Scott, it's the Atheist garb that places doubt on everything. Romanov and his partner are here to kill the faith of anyone they can.

It's a planned attack on the faith of the unsuspecting. It's the work of Satan himself.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Scott, it's the Atheist garb that places doubt on everything. Romanov and his partner are here to kill the faith of anyone they can.

It's a planned attack on the faith of the unsuspecting. It's the work of Satan himself.
What if it’s just encouraging people to think critically?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if it’s just encouraging people to think critically?
Sure, but critically thinking is not just innocent honesty, but doubt...the opposite of belief, and therefore against God.

Thanks for confessing your intentions.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to say you dislike critical thinking, just say it.

Critical thinking is good when used in its proper place.

The manner in which you are using it here is unacceptable to the born-again believer.

Don't play dumb, Romanov. You know what you're doing and I do too!

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Sure, but critically thinking is not just innocent honesty, but doubt...the opposite of belief, and therefore against God.

Thanks for confessing your intentions.
Ah so you admit critical thinking is bad because it goes against God. We wouldn’t have cars on the road if we thought critical thinking was bad did you know that? Maybe you just have an issue with critical thinking not because it goes against any “god”, but because it exposes the frail house of cards that belief in a god is based upon. It’s time to go back to the drawing board, and no one wants to do that. You’ve built your entire life around a belief system and now the sunk-cost fallacy is setting in where it feels too late to pull out.

Belief and doubt are two sides of the same coin, they are inseparable. All beliefs can be doubted, surprise, surprise.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Critical thinking is good when used in its proper place.

The manner in which you are using it here is unacceptable to the born-again believer.

Don't play dumb, Romanov. You know what you're doing and I do too!
That’s called hypocrisy. You’re willing to selectively apply critical thinking to everything else BUT your own beliefs. Questioning oneself is the beginning of critical thinking. Starting from the periphery makes you a hypocrite.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s called hypocrisy. You’re willing to selectively apply critical thinking to everything else BUT your own beliefs. Questioning oneself is the beginning of critical thinking. Starting from the periphery makes you a hypocrite.

Don't subject doubt to the innocent in the Lord, in your weaseling way! If you don't believe, then say so, and tell us why, be a man about it.

Why don't you fill us in on your personal background as you did on City Data? I'm sure the good folks would like to know the angle this "critical thinking" is coming from!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah so you admit critical thinking is bad because it goes against God. We wouldn’t have cars on the road if we thought critical thinking was bad did you know that? Maybe you just have an issue with critical thinking not because it goes against any “god”, but because it exposes the frail house of cards that belief in a god is based upon. It’s time to go back to the drawing board, and no one wants to do that. You’ve built your entire life around a belief system and now the sunk-cost fallacy is setting in where it feels too late to pull out.

Belief and doubt are two sides of the same coin, they are inseparable. All beliefs can be doubted, surprise, surprise.
You don't listen so well.

I didn't say I didn't like critical thinking, I do like it. In fact, you would do well to fully apply it. But no, I did not speak out against critical thinking, but the fact that it is based in doubt, and in your own application, it is indeed against God. Just listen to you projecting now that you are under a little pressure. Wow!

But no, I personally have not "built my entire life around a belief system"--not at all. I tried to tell you--I matter a factly told you, that what I told you, I did not tell you I believe--but that I know. Thus, it is you rather who thinks "now the sunk-cost fallacy is setting in where it feels too late to pull out." More projection. Typical.

But what I told you is not typical. Yet you still do not listen.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Don't subject doubt to the innocent in the Lord, in your weaseling way! If you don't believe, then say so, and tell us why, be a man about it.

Why don't you fill us in on your personal background as you did on City Data? I'm sure the good folks would like to know the angle this "critical thinking" is coming from!
Belief is the arrogant man’s tool. He believes because he doesn’t know. Belief is a cover up for a deeper issue, a deeper fear. The moment you believe something-anything, you automatically create its opposite: doubt.

Doubt is not a sin, it is a sign of intelligence.