If I'm a sinner how can I be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for me it's all about repentance repentance is the main key to salvation next is christ God knows your heart so if you are not sincere about helping the poor or visiting jail then don't do it he knows you don't want to but you can force yourself if you are required to because it is written God knows you do not want to do this but you are doing this because of his word not that you want to show the people you are a true christian but because of God i think he will be pleased by this

so let's stop being a liar infront of God and stop being a good person infront of a creature stop the useless courtesy but start being honest in the presence of God

Good point, God doesn't need us to lie to him, he knows the truth.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Good point, God doesn't need us to lie to him, he knows the truth.
yup that is also why if you want something from him don't be like talking to a human you are embarass to ask for his help and you would first entertain him/her before asking for money if you need money

just ask without useless talks because he already knows what you would say before you even think of it

ask and it shall be given but when you ask you should believe you already recieved it believe he is the Lord God but before you do this you should repent first because the prayers of the wicked cannot be heard by God but him/her who do his will his commandments God will hear

that's why if i pray God will not hear
let's stop fooling ourselves and only talk about the things that are in favor of us we are only fooling ourselves if we do these not God because God is perfect but we are not

Reactions: dev553344

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayerfully and hopefully, from the active living conscience which is a gift from the Creator.
What if it's from the devil?
The Spirit of God prompts a person to do good and be more like Him, yes that does involve acknowledging flaws, but then moving forward with Him.

If you feeling is wailing “I’m so imperfect, I shouldn’t bother coming to Christ” with being trapped in moping and dispaer - that’s a trap from the devil.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then he didn't want Jesus help clearly, he turned Jesus down. Not the other way around.
We need to remember that God’s blessings come when and how He deems best. Not us. God is not a vending machine to instantly grant a persons wishes.

Yes, there are times Christ tells the lame man to walk. But then there are also Paul begging to have the thorn in his flesh removed, but that was not part of God’s plan.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation.
It is not what people think, but what God says in the Bible. One must simply believe the Word of God.

ROMANS 10: WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

And [the jailer] brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:30,31)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read this Luke 18:9-14 and it gives me hope, but then I read this and think I'm doomed Matthew 25:31-46.

I'm not the best at helping the poor and I don't visit people in jail or the sick too much. I do help people when I can.

So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation. I'm not real versed in this and my current views are orthodox, but this thread should be for all to express their opinions and debate how we can be saved.

I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved.

What are your beliefs?
Hello @Devin Wintch,

John said concerning the Gospel that bears his name:-

And many other signs truly did Jesus
in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book:
But these are written,
.. that ye might believe
.... that Jesus is the Christ,
...... the Son of God;
........ and that believing
.......... ye might have life
............ through His Name.'

(John 20:30)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this Luke 18:9-14 and it gives me hope, but then I read this and think I'm doomed Matthew 25:31-46.
There is no contradiction between these passages. The Bible clearly tells us how to be saved.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Ephesian 2:8,9 ESV

The tax collector had faith in what God had said. Because of that faith he knew he was a sinner who deserved nothing but condemnation, but he also knew that God was willing to show mercy to sinners. He received salvation through God's grace.

But we need to also consider verse 10 of Ephesians 2.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

The sheep were not saved because of the good things they did; their works proved that they were already saved. A person who is saved will now have a desire to serve God that he didn't have before. If he doesn't have such a desire that is a sign that his faith is not genuine faith.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

I'm not the best at helping the poor and I don't visit people in jail or the sick too much. I do help people when I can.

So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation. I'm not real versed in this and my current views are orthodox, but this thread should be for all to express their opinions and debate how we can be saved.

I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved.

What are your beliefs?
i believe you are nailing it :)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:8-9

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your beliefs?
The only way to be saved is to believe and be baptized per Mark 16:16 and to be specific, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins per Acts 2:38.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What are your beliefs?
Great perspective DW.
According to my understanding DW, I think that grace is the key principle in regard to salvation. For through it, we understand that for one, there is a means available for salvation, and two, it is solely by the mercy of God that such forgiveness is even made possible. Both principles instilling a great admiration and love for God.
As far as works are concerned, as Paul stated (paraphrased) 'the spirit is at enmity with the flesh...therefore, what can save me from this inextricable quandary that I, and all men, are in?' It is the ineffable mercy of God.
By the recognition of our sinful standing with God, and appreciating God's mercy, and the means to which He made it available i.e. one man's righteousness, exonerated many men's wickedness (Romans 5:12-21), one will receive redemption. Christ was the first-born of all of creation, he is the reason behind all of God's universe and all within it. He is a creature that God reserved his appearance until the appointed time - just when man was without hope due to the excesses of his sins. Christ showed that all men were guilty before God, due to his living a perfect life according to God's Law, and justified his Messiaship and pre-eminence in doing so.
Accepting Christ as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, due to the mercy of God, will bring one into salvation.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
sounds like Grace to me; but i would bear in mind that No son of man may die for another's sins too
The only way to be saved is to believe and be baptized per Mark 16:16 and to be specific, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins per Acts 2:38.
sounds like a law to me wadr?
i mean, arent there even other ways listed in Scripture?
(yes Monty, there are :))

Last edited:

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those six works mentioned in Matthew 25 are not limited to just helping the poor. When you go hungry or thirsty in order to fight off the temptation of lust or for the sake of some other virtue, you feed Christ Who rejoices in chastity. Likewise when you are hungry and thirsty after righteousness (Matthew 5:6) and you study His words. When you become a stranger to the ways of the world you effectively invite Christ within you. When you also learn to practice His ways you likewise clothe Him, or rather, you are clothed in Him (Romans 13:13-14). Finally, when you endure sickness patiently and with thanksgiving or when you keep watch* over your senses and your thoughts, so as not to accept anything evil, it is as if you are visiting Him.

Psalms 119:96:
Of all perfection have I seen the outcome; exceedingly broad is Thy commandment.
As for your question (how you can be saved), you already have the answer when you acknowledged your helplessness (Matthew 5:3).

______
* The Greek word translated as jail or prison also means watch (φυλακή).

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have to believe that Jesus Christ took the penalty on himself for sin in your Stead. Believing this fully is the right way to go

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your beliefs?
Two things are Biblical: Repent of your sins and believe in Christ's sacrifice for you.... don't complicate it.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sounds like Grace to me; but i would bear in mind that No son of man may die for another's sins too

sounds like a law to me wadr?
i mean, arent there even other ways listed in Scripture?
(yes Monty, there are :))
Other verses debunk Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38?

Which ones?

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do exactly like the Sinful Publican did......cry out , “ Lord , have Mercy on me a Sinner!”
Jesus said that this man went home “ Justified”. He was saved. It worked for him.....it worked for me.....I flat- out guarantee it will work for you.....you are in my Prayers.... God so far has answered all my prayers positively .....I believe great things could be in store for you! “ Anybody that ASKs to be Saved WILL be Saved “ .....God is eager to save the lost....he makes it VERY simple...

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do exactly like the Sinful Publican did......cry out , “ Lord , have Mercy on me a Sinner!”
Jesus said that this man went home “ Justified”. He was saved. It worked for him.....it worked for me.....I flat- out guarantee it will work for you.....you are in my Prayers.... God so far has answered all my prayers positively .....I believe great things could be in store for you! “ Anybody that ASKs to be Saved WILL be Saved “ .....God is eager to save the lost....he makes it VERY simple...
Can we cry or scream loud enough to drown out Peter in Acts 2:38?

I trow not.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally was forgiven by Heavenly Father and I hadn't repented. He visited me in spirit and filled me with a very strong version of fruits of the Holy Spirit Love and Peace (Galatians 5:22-23) that lasted for hours and said he forgave me of my sins. So you're statement is wrong in my knowledge of God. But that is really besides the point, repentance is stopping sin, forgiveness is from God. Two different things.

This is likely something you've never learned from Orthodoxy, but it comes straight out of the Word of God.

First things first. We can try to turn away from sin, but we are only successful AFTER we have received the Holy Spirit. So true repentance is not turning away from sin all by yourself. Repentance is acknowledging you are a sinner and that you can't stop sinning on your own.

Next, after this acknowledgement that you are weak, it is then you cry out to Jesus to free you from your desire to sin. Jesus fills you with His own Spirit that cannot sin, and it empowers you to be able to turn away from sin because you've been born again with a new nature that partakes of the divine nature of Christ. In other words, we MUST be born again and baptized with God's Spirit to have any hope of being saved.

Understand? Ananias and Sapphira were filled with the Spirit, and willfully lied anyway. They quenched the Spirit. Hebrews 10:26-31 (We have been warned to never grieve or quench the Spirit, and for good reason!)

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Everyone has a conscience, but the Spirit will super-sensitize your conscience, so NEVER go against your conscience. It is your jet-fueled conscience that prevents you from committing sins unto death. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

What are the details leading up to your visit from the Father? I'd like to know.

Last edited: