If I'm a sinner how can I be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
And to answer the OP

ONLY SINNERS CAN BE SAVED.
i thought only the righteous who are a doer and not only a listener

but if you are a sinner you will continue being a sinner disregarding the commandments of God so how will a sinner be saved it this sinner does not change

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just like john the baptist when he was baptizing sinners and non sinner he was speaking the truth without the politeness the words are true and not the usual empty courtesy
James 3:14-17 KJV
But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. [15] This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. [16] For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. [17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Please reconcile this.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i thought only the righteous who are a doer and not only a listener

but if you are a sinner you will continue being a sinner disregarding the commandments of God so how will a sinner be saved it this sinner does not change
He saved you while you were a sinner.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
James 3:14-17 KJV
But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. [15] This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. [16] For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. [17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Please reconcile this.
that is exactly what i am trying to say

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but you will not continue being saved there's no such thing as once saved is always saved you will never find that in the bible that is why he said in his shared examine yourself⇩
Galatians 3:3 KJV
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Or have you only begun in the flesh?

Examine yourself!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this Luke 18:9-14 and it gives me hope, but then I read this and think I'm doomed Matthew 25:31-46.

I'm not the best at helping the poor and I don't visit people in jail or the sick too much. I do help people when I can.

So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation. I'm not real versed in this and my current views are orthodox, but this thread should be for all to express their opinions and debate how we can be saved.

I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved.

What are your beliefs?
Romans 10:9-10
9 if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Reactions: Waiting on him

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Galatians 3:3 KJV
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Or have you only begun in the flesh?

Examine yourself!
why don't you say first what is your understanding to this

Galatians 3 1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. note 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. note 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. note 16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. 19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. <<PrevTopNext>>

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation

The Spirit within. Turn to God and not to men(women included). Instead of asking ‘what people think is required for salvation’ ask God what is required. Don’t mean that to imply you don’t have the Spirit within; only trying to spare you from all the varying ‘what people think is required for salvation’

Last edited:

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does "saved" mean, iyo?

"He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself!"
The meaning of being saved depends on the context in which it is being used. It can mean saving your physical life from danger. In the statement you quoted that is probably what the people had in mind. But it can also mean forgiveness of sins so that our souls are saved and will experience eternal life. Jesus died so we could experience the latter salvation. He could not do this and also save his body from death. In the end it didn't make any difference because his body rose from the grave.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Not saying you have to agree but (imo) that the man was not helped is not so. Mark 10:21-22 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. [22] And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

Mark 10:26-27 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? [27] And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Including that man.
you think? so a man can serve both Mammon and Yah then? Or i mean how might you justify that?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The meaning of being saved depends on the context in which it is being used.
maybe, yes; im passing curious now what they might have meant by "saved others" though. Obvious examples aside. Iow i would have to take those literally, Lazarus et al, which kinda whacks my current model. But maybe you make a good point here, i chose a v in which we are getting the perspective of the world, right, so it might need to be Read diff, kinda like Ecclesiastes maybe

it can also mean forgiveness of sins so that our souls are saved and will experience eternal life.
or so many think anyway, ya. Unfortunately Scripture does not seem to bear that out, and in fact condemns the position apparently, or at least sure seems to, on the one hand maybe, etc. Id Quote the vv again but that gets blanket ignored lol, all the sudden you are not a soul, but rather you have a soul, and eternity becomes "forever," but how can millions of ppl be wrong right. "I came that you might have death, more abundantly" maybe huh

anyway, got a v to back that up bac? We could take a look i guess. Funny to me though that A Thousand Years gets kicked around so much, in the loose context of Eternity and Eons, and the early OT characters living to just shy of a thousand years...dunno

anyway, i appreciate the response, but i also have to kinda consider that i always seem to get tag-teamed on this subject, if i get any response at all. Of course i dont expect that to impact you any, its just another thing that comes to mind.

so, can "saved" mean what you say there? I guess we would have to strip out any instances of "saved" said by the crowd, stick to Jesus and Paul i guess, as the other apostles are mostly the Straight Men...well, in the gospels at least.

"Saved" from what? also seems to be like skirted around, in the vv that are left, interesting. Also, why does it seem that we could pretty much take all of those who claim they are "saved" in the manner you indicate, and put them with all the lawyers at the bottom of the ocean, and the world would be a better place? Iyo? Being dramatic of course, but i mean shouldnt it be the other way round? Not even the same ballpark iow?

Last edited:

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And humility isn't thinking mean of your self, it's not thinking of yourself at all.
And the true mark that we have such humility is when we don't think mean of those who are mean to us but rather justify them, like David did with Shimei:

2 Samuel 16:5-11
When King David came to Bahurim, there came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera, and as he came he cursed continually. And he threw stones at David and at all the servants of King David, and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left. And Shimei said as he cursed, “Get out, get out, you man of blood, you worthless man! The Lord has avenged on you all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned, and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of your son Absalom. See, your evil is on you, for you are a man of blood.”

Then Abishai the son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and take off his head.” But the king said, “What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord has said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who then shall say, ‘Why have you done so?’” And David said to Abishai and to all his servants, “Behold, my own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Leave him alone, and let him curse, for the Lord has told him to.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 16:30 And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Not hard to understand. Just hard for many people to ACCEPT.

Reactions: theophilus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the true mark that we have such humility is when we don't think mean of those who are mean to us but rather justify them, like David did with Shimei:

2 Samuel 16:5-11
When King David came to Bahurim, there came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera, and as he came he cursed continually. And he threw stones at David and at all the servants of King David, and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left. And Shimei said as he cursed, “Get out, get out, you man of blood, you worthless man! The Lord has avenged on you all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned, and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of your son Absalom. See, your evil is on you, for you are a man of blood.”

Then Abishai the son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and take off his head.” But the king said, “What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord has said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who then shall say, ‘Why have you done so?’” And David said to Abishai and to all his servants, “Behold, my own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Leave him alone, and let him curse, for the Lord has told him to.
To seek His life.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To seek His life.
Indeed, it's because (or when) He is living/acting in us that we can say we have humility:

Quote from St John:
“Humility is a nameless grace in the soul, its name known only to those who have learned it by experience. It is unspeakable wealth, a name and gift from God, for it is said: “learn not from an angel, nor from man, nor from a book, but from Me, that is, from My indwelling, from My illumination and action in you; for I am meek and humble in heart and in thought and in spirit, and your soul shall find rest from conflicts and relief from thoughts.” (cf. Matthew 11:29)​

The opposite is also true. When we act with pride we harbor a different... rider:

A person who suffers bitterly when slighted or insulted should recognize from this that he still harbors the ancient serpent in his breast. If he quietly endures the insult or responds with great humility, he weakens the serpent and lessens its hold. But if he replies acrimoniously or brazenly, he gives it strength to pour its venom into his heart and to feed mercilessly on his guts. In this way the serpent becomes increasingly powerful; it destroys his soul's strength and his attempts to set himself right, compelling him to live for sin and to be completely dead to righteousness. - St Symeon the New Theologian