If I'm a sinner how can I be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps last post tonight - if someone allows / follows/ false teachings , and does not give them up , does not repent of them, in order to follow Jesus,
is that what the Scripture in James calls being double-minded ?
If so, to expect nothing from God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who told you that someone could be forgiven without repentance then ? Where does that teaching come from ?

I personally was forgiven by Heavenly Father and I hadn't repented. He visited me in spirit and filled me with a very strong version of fruits of the Holy Spirit Love and Peace (Galatians 5:22-23) that lasted for hours and said he forgave me of my sins. So you're statement is wrong in my knowledge of God. But that is really besides the point, repentance is stopping sin, forgiveness is from God. Two different things.

Your other statement regarding the rich man going away appears incorrect also, as that was just that he was to sell all to be perfect. Matthew 19:21. This does not mean anything other than perfection.

I think maybe you're seeing more in the scripture than what's stated.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally was forgiven by Heavenly Father and I hadn't repented. He visited me in spirit and filled me with a very strong version of fruits of the Holy Spirit Love and Peace (Galatians 5:22-23) that lasted for hours and said he forgave me of my sins. So you're statement is wrong in my knowledge of God.
As always, with everything, (not to be me likely; but God knows), this is subject to be proven by testing by God's Word, not by feelings nor by false teachers anywhere ....

Billions of people are led astray by feelings and emotions - and multitudes are told , after believing all their lives they were saved and somehow right with God, they are told by Jesus be gone I never knew you --- "all they did was for show" .... as written in Scripture as a serious warning for all disciples of Jesus.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are just your idea of false teachings, but you don't appear to understand what the bible says as I've pointed out.
No - we can get more specific tonight or tomorrow if you want to.

I can't tell from your posts so far if you ever repented or not - it is unknown to be in Christ Jesus without repenting in Scripture. (repenting can simply be "turning to God, away from sin" (I like this better than what I thought before that years ago - fire and brimstone type - but repenting is still being convicted of sin, by God's Spirit, and turning away from it , to sin no more .... ) )

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As always, with everything, (not to be me likely; but God knows), this is subject to be proven by testing by God's Word, not by feelings nor by false teachers anywhere ....

Billions of people are led astray by feelings and emotions - and multitudes are told , after believing all their lives they were saved and somehow right with God, they are told by Jesus be gone I never knew you --- "all they did was for show" .... as written in Scripture as a serious warning for all disciples of Jesus.

You didn't read my post did you, just picked what was convenient to be rude. Which I'm finding typical for your posts. Telling people their lost, in the dark and damned.

You were wrong on two accounts and don't appear to comprehend what you read in the bible, see post #22 again.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't read my post did you, just picked what was convenient to be rude. Which I'm finding typical for your posts. Telling people their lost, in the dark and damned.

You were wrong on two accounts and don't appear to comprehend what you read in the bible, see post #22 again.
I read them. Was replying to various points one by one. Whatever teaching you are coming out of or from, I don't know. I thought you were doing well with your questions, but now I can't tell if you started listening to someone else (a false teacher messaging you) or what ?
There is nothing "typical" of my posts, and nothing rude, although to the carnal soul the gospel of Jesus is a message of death and a stench in their nostrils, while the same message is a fragrant aroma to everyone who is destined for life in Christ Jesus.

Perhaps you are 'confused'/ someone may lead you astray, because you do not know the Scriptures I post, and you assume something is not in Scripture when errors you were taught or told by someone recently or long ago conflict ?
Your so-called two accounts were read and are wrong, but I have not had time to reply or did not know what your objection was yet to reply to ....

The only ones lost are those who God says are lost. / damned/ judged/ and so on. Not up to you or to me to decide. You and I can either agree with God, or disagree with Him.
Most people choose to disagree with Him. (as written in His Word - as God Says)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally was forgiven by Heavenly Father and I hadn't repented. He visited me in spirit and filled me with a very strong version of fruits of the Holy Spirit Love and Peace (Galatians 5:22-23) that lasted for hours and said he forgave me of my sins. So you're statement is wrong in my knowledge of God. But that is really besides the point, repentance is stopping sin, forgiveness is from God. Two different things.

Your other statement regarding the rich man going away appears incorrect also, as that was just that he was to sell all to be perfect. Matthew 19:21. This does not mean anything other than perfection.

I think maybe you're seeing more in the scripture than what's stated.
This might be the post I was reading / seeing how to reply.

It might have to be taken in like three parts if possible so as to properly address it.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this Luke 18:9-14 and it gives me hope, but then I read this and think I'm doomed Matthew 25:31-46.

I'm not the best at helping the poor and I don't visit people in jail or the sick too much. I do help people when I can.

So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation. I'm not real versed in this and my current views are orthodox, but this thread should be for all to express their opinions and debate how we can be saved.

I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved.

What are your beliefs?

Repentance and amending of ways, obey Christ through His Church and do good things.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance and amending of ways, obey Christ through His Church and do good things.

Yes thanks, that's refreshing, I noticed I get a portion of the Holy Spirit when I do good things like Peace and Love and Joy (Galatians 5:22-23). And that makes me feel saved. I'm working on repentance and amending of ways, but I'm not perfect and wonder if I ever will be. So sometimes I feel fear of my salvation. Fear of God's wrath. I'm still working on which church I believe. I follow mostly orthodox, but not entirely, so I'm a little lost as to which church to fully join, but I think I'm starting to figure that out :)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point in that not all miracles were recorded. It would have been amazing in those times to have wittenessed all that occurred - although even more amazing to have been there when Jesus was ministering!
"oops". the above quote was in the buffer/whatever... but is good example here - when Jesus ministered, everything was perfectly in harmony with all of His Father's Word, and was by the Father's Direction - Jesus did nothing of or from or for Himself, as He said in Scripture.
I personally was forgiven by Heavenly Father and I hadn't repented.
This is unlikely - as I just noticed you posted "repentance is stopping sin"... if you did not repent, did not turn away from sin, did not turn to Jesus or to the heavenly Father the Creator of all Life, then it is not in line with any Scripture at all that He would forgive you (yet). If it happened as you posted
He visited me in spirit and filled me with a very strong version of fruits of the Holy Spirit Love and Peace (Galatians 5:22-23) that lasted for hours and said he forgave me of my sins.
then there would be other indications, in line with what God says in Scripture (not religion), and not at all relying on feelings...
So you're statement is wrong in my knowledge of God. But that is really besides the point, repentance is stopping sin, forgiveness is from God. Two different things.
I do not remember my statement you refer to here about your knowledge of God. So far it was a mix it seems, from your posts , of various things , all of which were or need to be tested before being accepted as true. (tested by you first , when it happened, is most important, or tested by you now, when you find out all the spirits that visit must be tested and must pass, and all the messages must be tested and must pass the test, before accepting them.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"feel good" false teacher or false teaching - subject to testing by Scripture at least, again, ... ongoing...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"feel good" false teacher or false teaching - subject to testing by Scripture at least, again, ... ongoing...

I think you might have gotten lost in there somewhere, when you're in Christ's Holy Spirit you should be feeling in your heart the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Otherwise you might be lost as suggested in scripture (Matthew 15:8). The fruits of the Holy Spirit are given to you when the Holy Spirit is with you to guide you to God's will and service.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then he didn't want Jesus help clearly, he turned Jesus down. Not the other way around.
Correct. He turned Jesus down.

Jesus did not turn him away even. He turned Jesus down.

Oh, he may have wanted Jesus' help - to be saved even (don't most people),
but
like most people, he did not want to do what Jesus says.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you might have gotten lost in there somewhere, when you're in Christ's Holy Spirit you should be feeling in your heart the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Otherwise you might be lost as suggested in scripture (Matthew 15:8). The fruits of the Holy Spirit are given to you when the Holy Spirit is with you to guide you to God's will and service.
This topic is far different than what we have discussed so far, and will require quite a bit of posts most likely.
The false teachings involved (worldwide/ most places) are far more in number (on the wide popular path remember) than the simple truth as revealed in God's Word, in Scripture, God's Way,
and the false teachings are meant to tickle ears, to feel good, to deceive and to distract someone/ everyone from even finding God's Kingdom.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the people that were sick, does it say they were forgiven?
It is in Corinthians, and the assembly of Ekklesia were born again set apart believers followers of Jesus , from all that is written about them - far more obedient to Jesus and to the Father than anyone you know personally today probably (more than most know today, perhaps by far) ....

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply, what is written of the assembly of Ekklesia (those born again by the will of the Father, set apart by Him for Himself from the world) in ACTS, what "feelings" did they have ? (in line with all Scripture; not in line with even their own human expectations!)

How about continual fullness of peace, and continual fullness of joy, and continual fullness of righteousness ?

Does that even ring a bell ? (does that even job a memory of reading, hearing or knowing that ? )

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved.
Why not both? We are simultaneous sinners and justified.
What Does "Simul Justus et Peccator" Mean?
An excerpt...
"He was saying from one perspective, in one sense, we are just. In another sense, from a different perspective, we are sinners; and how he defines that is simple. In and of ourselves, under the analysis of God’s scrutiny, we still have sin; we’re still sinners. But, by imputation and by faith in Jesus Christ, whose righteousness is now transferred to our account, then we are considered just or righteous. This is the very heart of the gospel."

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not both? We are simultaneous sinners and justified.
What Does "Simul Justus et Peccator" Mean?
An excerpt...
"He was saying from one perspective, in one sense, we are just. In another sense, from a different perspective, we are sinners; and how he defines that is simple. In and of ourselves, under the analysis of God’s scrutiny, we still have sin; we’re still sinners. But, by imputation and by faith in Jesus Christ, whose righteousness is now transferred to our account, then we are considered just or righteous. This is the very heart of the gospel."

When I feel the fruits of the Holy Spirit in my heart then I feel saved because "against such there is no law". And if the Holy Spirit is with my spirit and body then I know there is no law against me (Galatians 5:22-23). But sometimes, especially lately, I've been unable to serve God and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

But perhaps I should not worry like you say, I have read a lot of scripture to that effect.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I read this Luke 18:9-14 and it gives me hope, but then I read this and think I'm doomed Matthew 25:31-46. I'm not the best at helping the poor and I don't visit people in jail or the sick too much. I do help people when I can. So the thread is about what people think is required for salvation. I'm not real versed in this and my current views are orthodox, but this thread should be for all to express their opinions and debate how we can be saved. I'm not one of the doctrine where I say I'm saved, I like to leave that up to God and just say I'm a sinner and need to be saved. What are your beliefs?
for me it's all about repentance repentance is the main key to salvation next is christ God knows your heart so if you are not sincere about helping the poor or visiting jail then don't do it he knows you don't want to but you can force yourself if you are required to because it is written God knows you do not want to do this but you are doing this because of his word not that you want to show the people you are a true christian but because of God i think he will be pleased by this

so let's stop being a liar infront of God and stop being a good person infront of a creature stop the useless courtesy but start being honest in the presence of God

Reactions: dev553344