If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunate that the government has to have their hand in licensing ministers and marriages.
God's calling and blessing isn't enough. I understand that it is for good, but still... ???
The government doesn't have much of anything to do with the licensing/ordination of ministers.

It's influence is strictly about taxes. Registration as a 501(c)3 charitable organization can be revoked if a church doesn't follow the laws. Most of those laws are actually good. One that I think is bad - churches are not allowed to make political statements or endorsements.

But I digress...

Reactions: St. SteVen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christians seem to be incapable of applying common sense to these things.
Interesting choice of words. Maybe your sense and their sense are not in common. Relativism is a poor way to interpret the Bible.

The thing to do is determine the correct reading of the text, then accept it. And if you have cognitive issue with God's Word, work it out. Adjust your mind, not the Bible.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are led through scripture by the Holy Spirit.

We are not led through scripture by our common sense, that doesn’t even make sense to me.

We’re talking the word of God...what common sense is there in man’s words?

Again common sense in God’s word doesn’t stand.
Claiming "common sense" is just setting yourself as judge over God's Word. It's not good!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If something someone says they believe of the word, cannot be verified, harmonized and backed in context by the plainly written script of the word, then "spiritual" sense says it isn't true.
1 Corinthians 2:13
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've all heard the vacuous mantra: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."
What does this communicate parenthetically?
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it." ??? (with a shrug?)

Do we really need to check our brain at the door when we go to church?

There are three subjects that I post a lot about:
1) Universalism (UR)
2) The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)
3) LGBT issues and the church

On the forum, and elsewhere, I run into the common sense roadblock on all three.

Perhaps you have subjects that give you similar problems?

/
common sense and critical thinking is rare among Christians on most topics.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not what I said. Once you repent and are saved, you become a new creature and you will change. That is the new part. 2 Cor 5:17 "
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
The changes may be gradual but there will be changes. There are things you wont do anymore because you love the Lord and feel that those activities would hurt Him. You want to do His will.
I believe that if one repeatedly does something he knows is wrong, his eternal life may be in danger.

For me one thing was smoking. I liked smoking but felt it was wrong. I tried to quit an couldn't. God and I worked out a plan to quit and it worked--smoke free for a decade. This does not mean that one is condemned for smoking. It does mean for me, had I not quit, I could be in jeopardy.
I have a long way to go, but if something starts bothering me, that is when I need to address it with Jesus.
Matthew 22:37
Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did you conclude that it was Catholic?
I'm fairly sure it is of Protestant origin. But I can't confirm that.
Sounds like an evangelical Bible-thumper quote.

Probably has to do with the memorization and use of biblical apologetics.
The answer-to-every-question mindset. "If Jesus is the answer, there shouldn't be any questions."

/

Much of the Roman Catholic doctrine was assimilated into Protestantism and is still being passed along as Christian groups continue to split off from one another. In a nutshell that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity, dead people are alive, God is in control of everything that happens, the Four Gospels are written to Christians, and water baptism is relevant. And then there's everything that you know about our sin nature was taught to you by them.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've all heard the vacuous mantra: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."

1) Universalism (UR)

On the forum, and elsewhere, I run into the common sense roadblock on all three.

/
you should follow the message with a open Bible and a listening ear Lots of Doctrines are formed on what one thinks / we have a unction that we may Know all things unction is the indwelling presence of the Holy spirit aka spirit of Truth/ discernment

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1) Universalism (UR)

/
The question I have is, Is there such a thing as common sense beyond our five senses? Everyone is coming from different levels of education, knowledge, experience, age. Kids sense things differently than adults do. It is said that children can't distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy until about the age of 8. Us older folks have gone through many of life's experiences that we can relate to and so have a common understanding of what is good and what is evil, what is right and wrong for instance. Then again, what is moral in one culture may not be in another, so then our senses, discernment/ perceptions are vastly different with few things in common. But none of this really matters much, since the natural man is blind, unable to discern God or any depth of Biblical scripture. Until we are spiritually enlightened, "born again", we are stuck in a world filled with vanity of vanity and futility leading us closer to death. None of it matters until we are in a relationship with Christ.

The born again Christian sees a whole different world that the natural common man with his varied education, knowledge and experiences sees. It is as if he past through another dimension, which is uncommon to the blind natural man and now common among the enlightened. So the true Christian interprets scripture differently than the unbeliever. It is not a side step, it is a stairway that ascends gradually into heaven and further away from the common natural man who remains on one level. So his spiritual sense grows far beyond the common sense of natural man.
So what do I see from this vantage point?
I see people with common natural senses struggling with concepts like Universalism, the deity of Christ, while marching alongside the LGBT folks who can't discern scripture and continuously get it wrong.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of the Roman Catholic doctrine was assimilated into Protestantism and is still being passed along as Christian groups continue to split off from one another. In a nutshell that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity, dead people are alive, God is in control of everything that happens, the Four Gospels are written to Christians, and water baptism is relevant. And then there's everything that you know about our sin nature was taught to you by them.
Well, to be fair, the Catholic Church was the link between Protestantism and the early church.

So, you take issue with the Trinity, the afterlife, the sovereignty of God, authorship of the Gospels,
the relevancy of water baptism, and the sin nature? Where does that leave you? - LOL

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Us older folks have gone through many of lives experiences that we can relate to and so have a common understanding of what is good and what is evil, what is right and wrong for instance.
It seems that many leave that common sense in the car when they go into church from the parking lot.
That's what I am addressing here.

/

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what do I see from this vantage point?
I see people with common natural senses struggling with concepts like Universalism, the deity of Christ, while marching alongside the LGBT folks who can't discern scripture and continuously get it wrong.
That's a curious list.
Is there a connection between Universalism, the deity of Christ, and LGBT? ???

/

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian Bible has nothing to do with "common sense". It's filled with miracles from God! 'Christian' churches are filled with "common sense" and unbelief in the Bible. 'Christianity' has been DUPED big time!

2 Corinthians 11
Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness,

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that many leave that common sense in the car when they go into church from the parking lot.
That's what I am addressing here.

/
That was the point I was trying to make. Common sense varies and then doesn't really amount to much when you are talking about God and the Bible. You would think Stephen Hawking had this common sense you are talking about, but he turned out to be a fool, confounded by the Biblic concepts that a child can perceive.
Knowledge and wisdom you might say is something a person has after going through much of life's experiences. He knows the difference between good and evil, right and wrong, how to live and prosper, get along with people, control himself, he's able to admit when he is wrong, be merciful, learn to absorb pains, insults and suffer from others evil and selfish doings and can forgive others, care for others, function withon societies set of mores and taboos, hold onto values that are worthy, avoid the pitfalls in life because he has suffered many, etc. These are common civilized things we learn, pieces of the puzzle of life we have figured out. Are this the common sense you are talking about? Because lots of old, educated and wise people have it, yet don't have a clue when it comes to spiritual reality, God, nor can they perceive the deep meaning of His Word.
When it comes to the Bible, a new sense is required apart from all the other senses. God must remove this blindness and give the person spiritual sight. It is a whole new perspective of the world, himself and others. The person becomes a new creature with gifts, perception and awareness he didn't have before, as if he had been roaming around in the dark with only the moon light to see, but now the sun rises and sheds light on everything.
So it's not like you leave all your common sense at the door, it does have some value. Richard Dawkins, an atheist has this common sense. It is meaningless to take all of it with him through the door. His so called TOE view is an obstacle that would prevent him from seeing. He needs to leave them at the door. It's kind of like Jesus' description of a Rich man coming into the kingdom of God like a camel through an eye of a needle.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, the Catholic Church was the link between Protestantism and the early church.

So, you take issue with the Trinity, the afterlife, the sovereignty of God, authorship of the Gospels,
the relevancy of water baptism, and the sin nature? Where does that leave you? - LOL

/

It leaves me with the Apostles Ministry and not the Catholics. Here's some data on the water...

Water baptism is a carryover from part of the Levitical Law. There are many examples of people in the Old Testament who would wash themselves with water as a final step to being clean. Water baptism was an outward sign of washing, and then you would be clean to God. Baptism in water, and the need to be circumcised passed away with the coming of Pentecost, as did the other Levitical Laws. To be led by the spirit is to not be under the yoke of bondage with the extreme of legalism, seeking the works of the flesh from the old covenant concerning the past Law administration that was written to Israel.

It's clear from the gospels that water baptism had to do with the kingdom, which was ministered by John who was known as the Baptizer, and not a minister for the Church of God. John who was a prophet functioning under the old covenant was appointed by God to prepare and confirm the promises made to Israel. His message was to tell those who lived under the old covenant that the king had come and “the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” He used water as a sign to baptize those who believed the promised Messiah would be coming in just a matter of months and to illustrate that he would be the Christ, who would baptize them not with material water, but with holy spirit, which is “power from on high.” From the habit of tradition, and only for a short period of time, a small handful of people were baptized with water into the New Testament, but never again afterwards.

In the epistles written just a little bit past the beginning of the New Testament is where we read the only time water baptism is mentioned is to note there is no more need for it, and that we are now to be baptized with holy spirit. And this is why in Acts 2:38, Peter commands “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ.” In Acts 8:16, Peter and John “baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.” In Acts 10:48, Peter “commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.” In Romans 6:3, it declares “that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ.” There is not one exception to this practice where we see water baptism, which belonged to the time period when Christ walked the earth, being used once the Church of God had become established.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a curious list.
Is there a connection between Universalism, the deity of Christ, and LGBT? ???

/
This was your list of topics that you frequently post about:
1) Universalism (UR)

People with common sense have a problem with those topics, can't seem to sort them out as to what is truth and what isn't.