If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would think Stephen Hawking had this common sense you are taking about, but he turned out to be a fool, confounded by the Biblic concepts that a child can perceive. ... Richard Dawkins, an atheist has this common sense. It is meaningless to take all of it with him through the door. ...
Oftentimes atheists ask really good questions that Christians just blow off. Since we can't answer their common sense.

/

Reactions: Mr E

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
That's a curious list.
Is there a connection between Universalism, the deity of Christ, and LGBT? ???

This was your list of topics that you frequently post about:
1) Universalism (UR)
2) The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)
3) LGBT issues and the church

People with common sense have a problem with those topics, can't seem to sort them out as to what is truth and what isn't.
Okay.
But the "the deity of Christ" isn't on that list. Nothing to do with
The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)

And I disagree that "People with common sense have a problem with those topics..."
They "can't seem to sort them" because of a LACK of common sense.

- There is no common sense in clinging to a view of God as a cosmic tyrant.
- There is no common sense in a limited view of the law, etc.
- There is no common sense in dismissing LGBT issues as if they don't effect all of us.

/

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oftentimes atheists ask really good questions that Christians just blow off. Since we can't answer their common sense.

/
There are many valid and worthy questions that need to be answered. I had hundreds and God answered them in due time. My brother is smart, accomplished, a millionaire. I would say he has lots of common sense, but he is an atheist and has these huge obstacles secured firmly, preventing him to see God.
My father was an atheist too. This was challenging for me. So I studied the TOE, read a couple of books to try to understand it and its flaws and wrote a 30 page thesis to give to my father, which basically dismantled and exposed its flaws. People don't normally delve into this theory; likely thinking it's real empirical science, complicated and so are apprehensive. They aren't interested in challenging it. Still the paper didn't change his view. Apologetics helps but doesn't always work. Why didn't it work? I offered the gospel as well. But it just wasn't his time. Then I wrote a book about Christianity using 570 of the most powerful scriptures and gave that to him. Eventually that sunk in and years before his death he got on his knees and prayed to God for forgiveness. My Dad had lots of common sense but the veil of blindness had to be lifted first and frankly God takes His time with some people. I was drawn to God at age 35. Some are at a young age. The point is, all that we have as far as intelligence or wisdom is not enough. He has to enable us to believe, lead us to that time of our divine appointment. We don't figure out God on our own, otherwise guys like Einstein would have. Hopefully he saw then Light before he died? My brother is another nut to crack. I always thought it would take the Great Tribulation for God to get his attention as he will see and personally experience all the events written as they happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It leaves me with the Apostles Ministry and not the Catholics. Here's some data on the water...

Water baptism is a carryover from part of the Levitical Law. There are many examples of people in the Old Testament who would wash themselves with water as a final step to being clean. Water baptism was an outward sign of washing, and then you would be clean to God. Baptism in water, and the need to be circumcised passed away with the coming of Pentecost, as did the other Levitical Laws. To be led by the spirit is to not be under the yoke of bondage with the extreme of legalism, seeking the works of the flesh from the old covenant concerning the past Law administration that was written to Israel.

It's clear from the gospels that water baptism had to do with the kingdom, which was ministered by John who was known as the Baptizer, and not a minister for the Church of God. John who was a prophet functioning under the old covenant was appointed by God to prepare and confirm the promises made to Israel. His message was to tell those who lived under the old covenant that the king had come and “the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” He used water as a sign to baptize those who believed the promised Messiah would be coming in just a matter of months and to illustrate that he would be the Christ, who would baptize them not with material water, but with holy spirit, which is “power from on high.” From the habit of tradition, and only for a short period of time, a small handful of people were baptized with water into the New Testament, but never again afterwards.

In the epistles written just a little bit past the beginning of the New Testament is where we read the only time water baptism is mentioned is to note there is no more need for it, and that we are now to be baptized with holy spirit. And this is why in Acts 2:38, Peter commands “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ.” In Acts 8:16, Peter and John “baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.” In Acts 10:48, Peter “commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.” In Romans 6:3, it declares “that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ.” There is not one exception to this practice where we see water baptism, which belonged to the time period when Christ walked the earth, being used once the Church of God had become established.
What do you make of these references to water baptism?

Acts 8:36 NIV
As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said,
“Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?”

Acts 10:47 NIV
“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.
They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

1 Peter 3:21 NIV
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—
not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience
toward God.[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

'

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that scripture the enemy of common sense?
Ask yourself what made you parrot that apologetic in this discussion.
Do you leave your common sense in the car when you walk across the parking lot to go to church?

/
There is a way that seems right to a man

This is what the man considers common sense. We all have our opinion of what that is, we all have our own common sense values.

But the end is the way of death

We better make sure what seems common sense to us is the truth of God. or this is where we are headed

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that some are gullible to bad doctrine?

/

I don't believe that people, Christians, are intentionally gullible. But there is a tendency to believe what is taught rather than applying ourselves to searching to know if what is being taught is true.

• Love

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you be gullible to common stupidity if someone claimed it was biblical truth?

/

If a doctrine supposedly found in Scripture doesn't make sense, then it is IMO nonsense! The Word of God should teach, not confuse. For instance if what we believe the Bible is teaching causes contradiction, clearly there is something wrong with our understanding.

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a way that seems right to a man

This is what the man considers common sense. We all have our opinion of what that is, we all have our own common sense values.

But the end is the way of death

We better make sure what seems common sense to us is the truth of God. or this is where we are headed
That sounds like a bit of a conundrum.

You used your literal interpretation of the Bible to declare that
"... a way that seems right to a man" is common sense, "But the end is the way of death".

So, you have clearly declared the use of common sense as leading to death. Right?

But then you explain how to use that common sense.
"We better make sure what seems common sense to us is the truth of God."
How can that be? (based on your senseless declaration)

Do you understand what this topic is about?

/

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of these references to water baptism?

Acts 8:36 NIV

Acts 10:47 NIV
“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.
They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

1 Peter 3:21 NIV
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—
not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience
toward God.[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

'
I already mentioned Acts 8:36 when I said... From the habit of tradition, and only for a short period of time, a small handful of people were baptized with water into the New Testament, but never again afterwards.

Acts 10:47 mentions water but none was used. Verse 48 dose not mention water.

No water mentioned in 1 Peter 3:21

All that water does is get you wet. This should be common sense. Again, it's just more Catholic thinking that is in our culture because they have been around so long.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that people, Christians, are intentionally gullible.
Agree. My use of gullible was a bit harsh, but needed to be said, I suppose.

Better to say that we are trusting. And perhaps TOO trusting of what the church tells us.

I think there is some fear at the core of it.
We have been taught (brainwashed?) that believers go to heaven and unbelievers go to hell.
We were also told that those who disagree with the church are unbelievers.
Therefore, we believe that those who disagree with the church are bound for hell.

Any questions? (gulp) - LOL

/

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already mentioned Acts 8:36 when I said... From the habit of tradition, and only for a short period of time, a small handful of people were baptized with water into the New Testament, but never again afterwards.

All that water does is get you wet. This should be common sense. Again, it's just more Catholic thinking that is in our culture because they have been around so long.

Why did the Lord submit to being baptized in water? Was He not setting an example for His disciples (Church) to follow?

My apologies St Steven. I don't mean to highjack your thread!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds like a bit of a conundrum.

You used your literal interpretation of the Bible to declare that
"... a way that seems right to a man" is common sense, "But the end is the way of death".

So, you have clearly declared the use of common sense as leading to death. Right?

But then you explain how to use that common sense.
"We better make sure what seems common sense to us is the truth of God."
How can that be? (based on your senseless declaration)

Do you understand what this topic is about?

/
As usual, You have a hard to understanding what people say

It does not matter what WE THINK. What matters is WHAT WE THINK.

if we try to rely on common sense (our thinking) to get it right. And not Gods way. It leads to death.

Gods ways are not our ways Unless we repent and come to his way of thinking. We will remain dead.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did the Lord submit to being baptized in water? Was He not setting an example for His disciples (Church) to follow?

My apologies St Steven. I don't mean to highjack your thread!
Why? John told us why

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who [k]is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ 31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”

32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me,Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

Reactions: rwb

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Proverbs 2:7-17​

7 He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.
8 He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him.
9 Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy.
11 Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe.
12 Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose words are twisted.
13 These men turn from the right way to walk down dark paths.
14 They take pleasure in doing wrong, and they enjoy the twisted ways of evil.
15 Their actions are crooked, and their ways are wrong.
16 Wisdom will save you from the immoral woman, from the seductive words of the promiscuous woman.
17 She has abandoned her husband and ignores the covenant she made before God.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here is your premise.
Baptism in water, and the need to be circumcised passed away with the coming of Pentecost, as did the other Levitical Laws.
Now you are including workarounds to accommodate your weak premise. IMHO

- The Ethiopian Eunuch was baptized in water.
- There is no reason to assume that the members of the house of Cornelius were NOT water baptized.
They had already received the Baptism with the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of such.

Furthermore, early church writings before the RCC was established indicate water baptism.
As we see here in the Didache (teaching of the Twelve Apostles) written in the first, or second century AD

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

/

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
But how does the church respond?

/
Well, the Body of Christ is composed of 2.65+ billion believers. We respond collectively concerning the fundamentals in the Bible. Then there are the doctrines that are blurry at best, mysterious, things we typically debate over. So things we can be certain about, we usually unite. Catholics and Prostestants can unite over basic fundamentals. They don't squablle about them usually, they squabble about most everything else.