If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did the Lord submit to being baptized in water? Was He not setting an example for His disciples (Church) to follow?

My apologies St Steven. I don't mean to highjack your thread!
That is a good point. However, John introduced Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Jesus was baptized but what accomplied that baptism? The Holy Spirit appeared and the Father spoke from Heaven. Just a water baptism by itself wouldn't mean much, wouldn't prove much to all the onlookers. Just as His talk was backed up by miracles. If He just came with talk, who would be convinced. That was an event, "God is with us" ... "Did you see and hear that?" " That has to be the Messiah, the Christ". They went out and spread the news. There were no doubts at that scene.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are not the "New Testament" since God did not put a paper in the Bible between Malachi and Matthew that says New Testament. Men did that... probably Catholics.
Seriously?

What books are in the Hebrew Bible?
Does it include any NT books?

/

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just remember

this is spirit baptism not water..

God baptized us into the death of Christ, And he raised us to new life

Yes, which is what baptism by water symbolizes. In the same way that crossing of the sea was symbolic of being baptized unto Moses, the servant of the Lord. Death to slavery and life through the water, in which Israel was saved and saw "that great work which the LORD did..." In the same way Christians are baptized with water unto Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:2 (KJV) And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

Exodus 14:30-31 (KJV) Thus the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore. And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and his servant Moses.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good point. However, John introduced Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Jesus was baptized but what accomplied that baptism? The Holy Spirit appeared and the Father spoke from Heaven. Just a water baptism by itself wouldn't mean much, wouldn't prove much to all the onlookers. Just as His talk was backed up by miracles. If He just came with talk, who would be convinced. That was an event, "God is with us" ... "Did you see that?" " That has yo be the Messiah, the Christ". They went out and spread the news. There were no doubts at that scene.
I think this shows the connection between water baptism and Holy Spirit Baptism in the early church.
But the Holy Spirit Baptism was always confirmed with evidence of a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

In the case of the house of Cornelius, the Baptism with the Holy Spirit came first, followed by water baptism.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No water mentioned in Acts 2:41
A baptism of repentance is.
Given here as a prerequisite to filling with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:38-39 NIV
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you,
in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.
And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—
for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

/

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:21-22
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Galatians 5:1-4
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

We will fall from the understanding of the grace that is in Christ, and succumb to the doctrines and theories that are dictated by human conception if we seek justification by our own works. The concision was from those who taught circumcision was necessary for salvation. Circumcision is a work of the flesh required by the Old Testament Law, and by the way so is water baptism, which is a carryover from part of the Levitical Law.

Who here has argued that water baptism is the means of being justified before God? Just because some denominations wrongly teach that obedience to the Law is necessary to be justified before God, does not mean the ordinances of the Church should be done away with. Rightly taught and practiced water baptism, as I've said serves the purpose of making a distinction between the body of Christ, Church, and the world. That is the reason that Christ left us with the mandate: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" Matthew 28:19 (KJV)

Reactions: St. SteVen

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you think it is demeaning of God to view him as a cosmic tyrant?
Where's the common sense in that? Don't we know better?

/
It isn't so much a matter of 'common sense' (which isn't very common at all) but through Jesus we were taught to consider God not as a tyrant, hell-bent on condemning and torturing the disobedient evil-doers, but as a loving Father, eager to forgive, accept and restore.

• Love

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP reminds me of atheist memes I see on the Net.

72e7c549ff11f82e535420c5fdde369f.jpg

ce202187749142f2c4f701a3c6121e4e.png

Since when is common sense a factor in religious faith? When secular reality very often doesn't make sense.

Oxymorons: Civil War. Pure evil.

A nation that boasts itself a free country. While its citizens labor to make a living only to be forced under penalty of the people's Constitution,and Federal law, to give their government a percentage of their earned income.

A "Lockdown Order", in the 21st century, commanding people stay in their homes to avoid infection but an air born virus.

If the Bible doesn't seem to make sense it could be because it was written by a people who thought the earth was flat. And they tried to communicate through idioms,metaphor,simile, etc... an understanding for why we exist. And that we should behave.

And in order to drive it home,they threatened that non-compliance to the controls the bible imparts would result in the disobedient burning alive for eternity once they're dead.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this shows the connection between water baptism and Holy Spirit Baptism in the early church.
But the Holy Spirit Baptism was always confirmed with evidence of a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

In the case of the house of Cornelius, the Baptism with the Holy Spirit came first, followed by water baptism.

/
The key distinction that John the Baptist made between his water baptism and a more powerful baptism is this:
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Matt. 3:11

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. People get baptized AFTER they have been touched, sealed, born again, accepted Christ, etc. The ceremony getting dunked under water merely symbolizes the end of the old life and the beginning of the new life, which has, in point of fact, already happened.

I believe this is akin to marriage. The couples commitment came when they agreed to get married. The ceremony of standing at the alter is just a formality, formally symbolizing that commitment.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The key distinction that John the Baptist made between his water baptism and a more powerful baptism is this:
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Matt. 3:11
John baptized those who believed the Messiah was coming--Jesus baptism was for those who believed on him.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why do you think it was necessary that Jesus be baptized? What was he repenting of?

--Or do you think it was simply pretense? A charade?

Reactions: Wrangler

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who here has argued that water baptism is the means of being justified before God? Just because some denominations wrongly teach that obedience to the Law is necessary to be justified before God, does not mean the ordinances of the Church should be done away with. Rightly taught and practiced water baptism, as I've said serves the purpose of making a distinction between the body of Christ, Church, and the world. That is the reason that Christ left us with the mandate: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" Matthew 28:19 (KJV)

The water taught in our Christian circles is Catholic. Not biblical to the New Testament. Water has nothing to do with what Christians have in Christ.

Reactions: Wrangler

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The water taught in our Christian circles is Catholic. Not biblical to the New Testament. Water has nothing to do with what Christians have in Christ.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to believe whatever you wish. Remember opinion without validation from the Bible remains opinion, and of no value in discerning biblical truths.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've all heard the vacuous mantra: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."
What does this communicate parenthetically?
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it." ??? (with a shrug?)

Do we really need to check our brain at the door when we go to church?

There are three subjects that I post a lot about:
1) Universalism (UR)
2) The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)
3) LGBT issues and the church

On the forum, and elsewhere, I run into the common sense roadblock on all three.
Some Christians seem to be incapable of applying common sense to these things.

Perhaps you have subjects that give you similar problems?

If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

/

Certainly that depends on our definition of "common sense" or what context you mean.

In one context or respect "common sense" would mean "your own understanding", in which case it would be completely suspect.

However, I get your point and believe you do not mean that context, but rather as you also said about not "checking your brain at the door when we go to church." Which is true, one ought to be able to "reason" regarding the truth from and of God. The worst case scenario I come across is the intentional blindness to reasonably consider things against what is preconceived and therefore believed...or worse, heard and blindly believed against obvious contradictions, i.e., the blind leading the blind.

The greatest of these issues regarding these times, is the militant rejection against the idea that "false teachers" as foretold in scripture did in fact enter into the church teaching "destructive doctrines" that became so common that they are now accepted and believed to be the truth. As these things were foretold--everyone should as much as expect that what they have been taught should be considered as possibly being in error. But, no, what most call the very idea that the foretold "false teachers" entering into the church and teaching "destructive doctrines", is heresy. And by so doing, they themselves become the heretics. :(

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of this?

John 7:38 NIV
Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”

/