If You Believe Your Denomination Is...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But where is the truth in all this?...
This is the right question, but how real is this question to people who do ask it? Was Pontius Pilate serious in wanting to find the answer to his question when he asked, "What is truth?" One way or the other Pilate may be out of it, but for you and me the question is still there... even though many will only put to others to ask... for they, of course [in their own minds, hearts] already are certain that their answer is the correct answer so for them there is no further need to ask...

Unless and until we have overcome the world just as Jesus did and we are right now where the Father is, should any of us stop looking to see more clearly? What is our time here for anyway? Until we run out of 'time', should we ever sit back and watch the things of the world... and/or of God, go by?

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If you believe your denomination is teaching something that is closer to the truth than others, does that necessarily mean you are narrow-minded or elitist or, worse yet, look down on those of other faiths?

Why do you want to exist in "closer to the Truth".
What kind of believer wants some , or part, or "closer to the Truth".
You are to seek THE Truth, and you find that by understanding what isn't.
And you learn how to understand what isn't true, by listening to someone who knows.
See, you don't know, and that is why you are concerned about "getting along" and "holding hands" and "tolerating liars".
But if you CARED about the TRUTH, you would only seek to know what is True, and you would not accept what isn't.
You are not there yet.
You have a little more time.
Wake up.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe God sends some to certain Church's for "a season"? Maybe for lessons we might not even realize until down the road.

And, maybe it is NOT God sending people to certain Church's...I'm sure He is not sending His children to erroneous Church's...and I bet all of them would say that God sent them there...?

First are we/they sent by the One who sends workers to do His work and is this place or that place our/their place to work His work until the night cometh?

"After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come." Luke 10:1

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" Eph 4:11-12

So God certainly sends them... also to those "erroneous churches"? However "erroneous" they may be God may still be interested. He may still have his 7,000 [LOL of some smaller number... like 10 for the sake of Abraham?], who have not bowed down to Baal [mammon], who are in need of a physician.

"And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Matt 9:11-13

Who is the physician? Jesus alone?

"As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." John 9:5
"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world,..." John 17:11

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt 5:14-16

Are you, or am I, in a church or called to a church where false prophets are?

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" Matt 7:15-16

For everyone it may not be time to come out of the worst of places because you or I are God's physicians doing His work...

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities." Rev 18:4-5

When "her sins have reached unto heaven" if we know just then that is then perhaps it would then be time to come out...

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarnyFife

So did Jesus my friend... care how people felt who were not in his immediate circle. Those mentioned here by John may not have been in the very best place, but Jesus seemingly did care about them...

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." Mark 9:38-40

But among some people who may indeed be so "narrow minded or elitist or worse"... are there not likely to be at least a few who are able to keep a tight rein on their tongue. Maybe there an even smaller few who really in their heart care about those "other guys"

Catch anything not under the limit yet?

Glad to hear that. I guess I was testing the waters a bit...
Not sure if this is a spanking, affirmation, a little of both, or neither, but coming from you I'll take it and like it regardless.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But scripture declares otherwise according to your reading of scripture, do you trust your conscience or the denomination?
The denomination believes that God has reserved to Himself 7000 who have not bowed the knee to Baal. God has His people in all communions. That is not the issue. This is proving to be quite an interesting experiment.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do you believe God sends some to certain Church's for "a season"? Maybe for lessons we might not even realize until down the road.

And, maybe it is NOT God sending people to certain Church's...I'm sure He is not sending His children to erroneous Church's...and I bet all of them would say that God sent them there...?
gotta goto grade school before high school, eh
the heir is a slave while he is a child, and no better than a servant, even though he is the lord of all
paraphrased

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gotta goto grade school before high school, eh
the heir is a slave while he is a child, and no better than a servant, even though he is the lord of all
paraphrased

I think when we are young in the faith we can actually learn from virtually all denominations, because there is so much to learn even from the basics. But as we mature, we come to the place where this is less and less the case, until we finally arrive at seeing the flaws in all denominations, because ALL denominations teach falsehoods in one form or another. So many of us (though not all) end up retaining our churches but discarding staunch and absolute adherence to the teachings of our denomination. This is why I stopped worrying about denominationalism a long time ago. You reach a point where you grow past it, and it becomes only a way to somewhat compartmentalize people you meet, should they identify themselves as adhering to a particular denominational background.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you want to exist in "closer to the Truth".
What kind of believer wants some , or part, or "closer to the Truth".
You are to seek THE Truth, and you find that by understanding what isn't.
And you learn how to understand what isn't true, by listening to someone who knows.
See, you don't know, and that is why you are concerned about "getting along" and "holding hands" and "tolerating liars".
But if you CARED about the TRUTH, you would only seek to know what is True, and you would not accept what isn't.
You are not there yet.
You have a little more time.
Wake up.
People mainly ignore your venom, right? Think I'll try that. Bye now.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think when we are young in the faith we can actually learn from virtually all denominations, because there is so much to learn even from the basics. But as we mature, we come to the place where this is less and less the case, until we finally arrive at seeing the flaws in all denominations, because ALL denominations teach falsehoods in one form or another. So many of us (though not all) end up retaining our churches but discarding staunch and absolute adherence to the teachings of our denomination. This is why I stopped worrying about denominationalism a long time ago. You reach a point where you grow past it, and it becomes only a way to somewhat compartmentalize people you meet, should they identify themselves as adhering to a particular denominational background.

It can get to the point where you're a bit unsure of what to and what not to say/ask as, soooo many tow the line and have no tolerance for others thoughts. Buncha clones if you ask me. Even "non-denom's" are a denomination!
We're all mutts... :D

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your vote in a poll would be "no doctrinally pure church" then?

I don't by any means intend to put you on the spot (after all, you're certainly not the first one ever to express the sentiment), but that's kinda sad when you think about it. I mean, Israel had the truth--Christ said as much in John 4:22. But He's left His end-time church without a true orthodoxy. Somehow it doesn't make sense. I can't think of a good explanation for such a state of affairs that wouldn't seem like rationalization.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HIH,

I have learned that a lot of ‘home church’ Christians have the same thought process as your statements above. They accept the doctrines they have taught themselves and disregard with the “falsehoods” of the denomination they left. They reject the authority of the denomination they left and accept their own authority. I have never been able to figure out how those ‘home church’ Christians have determined that their teaching is not a falsehood and the teaching of the church they left is a falsehood....:cool:

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think when we are young in the faith we can actually learn from virtually all denominations
I think we have a lot to learn from each other, period. I've gone (in the exploration of truth in Scripture) far past what my church believes in a crude form of a creed, and since I left the Baptist faith, I've learned way more from Charles Stanley about common grace than I'll ever hear from the front of my own church home.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can get to the point where you're a bit unsure of what to and what not to say/ask as, soooo many tow the line and have no tolerance for others thoughts. Buncha clones if you ask me. Even "non-denom's" are a denomination!
We're all mutts... :D

I heard a preacher say one time that when he was among several people identifying themselves by their denominations, someone said, "I'm a Baptist," and he said, "I am, too!" Another woman said, "I'm Pentecostal," to which he said, "What a coincidence. So am I!"

While those two were still trying to figure it out, a third guy said, "I'm Catholic." To that he responded, "Praise God Almighty! I'm a Catholic too!!"

You get the idea, Lol. Depending on the individual, it doesn't really matter much.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your vote in a poll would be "no doctrinally pure church" then?

Mmmm... I'd say doctrinally flawless, yes. But "doctrinally pure" sounds a little overly condemning. I subscribe to the Apostles Creed. If they can hold to that, at least they are somewhere in the ballpark of being what I'd call "doctrinally pure."

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
because ALL denominations teach falsehoods in one form or another.

Hi HiH,

Hmmm, i would suggest rather, that all denominations teach the truth in as much as they hold to the teaching of the Church, the 'pillar and foundation of the truth'.
Sadly they mix in their own errors and the traditions of men with which they were founded..

The way out of that land of confusion, is to enter into the community that Christ established through His apostles.
The one which He promised would be led into all truth.
The one which He promised He would not leave orphaned, but rather would be with them till the end of the age..
The one that cannot teach error, for 'we have the mind of Christ'

It can be a hard thing, to submit ones own understanding to the correction of the Church, but to do otherwise?...

Peace be with you!

Reactions: historyb

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HIH,

I have learned that a lot of ‘home church’ Christians have the same thought process as your statements above. They accept the doctrines they have taught themselves and disregard with the “falsehoods” of the denomination they left. They reject the authority of the denomination they left and accept their own authority. I have never been able to figure out how those ‘home church’ Christians have determined that their teaching is not a falsehood and the teaching of the church they left is a falsehood....:cool:

Hi Mary!

It happens. But I do think there are numerous instances of people frivolously having knee-jerk reactions to some teaching they hear that bucks them the wrong way, only to end up just as flighty in doctrinal matters when they end up some place else.

But for me, it's a matter of deep reflection on things. I don't come to my conclusions quickly or flippantly, nor do I come by them through the instruction of men 19 times out of 20, nor do I overreact when I hear things I disagree with being preached. If I did that, I'd never be able to attend anywhere. But I do have a mind of my own, and I will question even the strongest theologians as well as famous ones down through history when I think they are wrong. I was doing so regarding someone icxn was quoting just recently. Whoever the person was, they sounded solid enough and scholarly to some extent, but I their conclusions were not thought out far enough, IMO, and I had to openly disagree with icxn, though I was polite about it.
On the natural state of the intellect

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we have a lot to learn from each other, period. I've gone (in the exploration of truth in Scripture) far past what my church believes in a crude form of a creed, and since I left the Baptist faith, I've learned way more from Charles Stanley about common grace than I'll ever hear from the front of my own church home.

You just improved your avatar, Lol. That was my favorite episode.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HiH,

Hmmm, i would suggest rather, that all denominations teach the truth in as much as they hold to the teaching of the Church, the 'pillar and foundation of the truth'.
Sadly they mix in their own errors and the traditions of men with which they were founded..

The way out of that land of confusion, is to enter into the community that Christ established through His apostles.
The one which He promised would be led into all truth.
The one which He promised He would not leave orphaned, but rather would be with them till the end of the age..
The one that cannot teach error, for 'we have the mind of Christ'

It can be a hard thing, to submit ones own understanding to the correction of the Church, but to do otherwise?...

Peace be with you!

Hey Phillip! I hope you are blessed today.

Listen, don't take offense, but I had to chuckle reading your post. I am happy for you in a way if you have full confidence in your church's doctrines, but despite there being a number of Catholic theologians I have respected, I respectfully disagreed with all of them on one thing or another, including very educated men like Mitch Pacwa.

We'll have to part ways peacefully on that one, because I will always think for myself until proven otherwise from scripture, and they had better come "packin'" as they say. I'm not mystified by high-sounding theology, there is not a lot I haven't heard before, and I will take apart something verse by verse in very short order to show weaknesses in it. But now I sound like I'm boasting in myself and that's not something I would wish to do either. I'm capable of error like any other man - including any Catholic man or woman - but I will not simply submit my mind to anyone without superior arguments being presented. That's not how I was created, nor should I be expected to act any differently. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to, if they knew what was good for them. It is precisely because many Christians do NOT think for themselves that we end up with so many being deluded into joining cults. We must not be mental automatons that think as we are told. If so, we are doomed already.