"If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're really getting desperate now.

Nowhere in, or near, that verse is the Lord's Day defined, one way or the other.

BUT, it is clearly defined in Isaiah 58:13.

The ONLY day God ever blessed and called His own.

The Holy Sabbath Day .... Saturday the 7th day of the week.
Running off to the old testament again.

What day are Christians commanded to give? That giving is a part of worship, Acts 2:42.
Answer, first day of the week. Worship for Christians is Sunday.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the time of Acts 20:7 christians were not following the Jewish calendar. Give a new testament scripture that teaches Christians must obey the Jewish calendar?
What part of "on the first day of the week when the disciples came together to break bread dont you understand?

It was the Lords supper for preaching of the gospel is worship on Sunday.
Paul instructs christians not to eat common meals in worship,

If you can prove it is commanded that christians must keep the Jewish calendar as part of Jesus' gospel you have some credibility.
If you cannot show in the new testament of Jesus Christ that christians are not commanded as Gods law to keep the Jewish calendar you have no case.

Jesus was ressurected on the first day of the week,
John 20:1
Now on the first day if the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead.

Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week.
That is significant for why the Lords supper is partaken on the first day of the week,
1Corinthians 11:26,
For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the Lords death till He comes.
-33-34
Therefore my brethren, when you come together to eat( the Lords supper) wait for one another.
But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

When the church came together to worship God on Sunday, they did not eat common meals. They only partook of the Lords supper when worshipping!

Acts 20:7
Now on the first day of the week when the disciples came together to break bread(Lords supper),
Paul, ready to depart the next day, preached to them and continued His gospel until midnight.

These are Christians!
Follows of Jesus Christ.
Jews kept the Sabbath.
Christians worship God, Jesus on the first day of the week. That day is Sunday.
Sunday is the Lords day.
Christian worship includes the fellowship of the Lords supper, singing hymns, prayer, preaching the gospel and giving to Lord what we have been prospered.
This is all done on the first day of the week.
1Corinthians 16:1-2,
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia so you must do.
On the first day of the week, let each of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

John knows what day is the Lords day.
It is not the Jewish Sabbath day.
Revelation 1:10,
I was in the Spirit on the Lords day and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet
1. The sacred calendar is not "Jewish". It is how God reckons time. Read Gen. 1-2. God issued numbers to the first 6 days, and then gave a name to the 7th day.

2. The fact that Sunday is referred to as the "first day of the week" in Acts 20:7 means there is still nothing sacred about the day, just as there wasn't anything sacred about it whenever it was mentioned in the OT.

The whole premise of your argument is entirely deceitful because it is based on the premise that divinely mandated traditions were invented by Jews.

3. Acts 20:7 does not support your obviously fallacious argument, because it is not describing the "Lord's Supper" at all. Proof of this lies in the fact that Acts 2:42, 46 mentions that the 1st century Christians regularly dined together to promote unity in their ranks:

"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers...So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,"

You keep throwing passages around out of context to support an obviously dishonest cause, and all the while you are proving that Romanists are biblically illiterate. Just because the meal in Acts 20:7 happened on a Sunday, it still doesn't prove that it was a Christian festival.

All of the disciples mentioned in that passage would've known about Sunday-keeping being a pagan tradition that God condemned in the OT scriptures, so again, there is 0 biblical support for the hare-brained idea that God suddenly changed His position on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: GEN2REV

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that's your definition of a Commandment, I've got bags full of verses to dump on you proving ALL of your arguments against the 10 Commandments - completely WRONG.
Ok,
Tell me then,
Do I have to obey keeping Gods word?
Or was Jesus implying that is , if I want to or not?

Do you think keeping Gods word is optional?

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Running off to the old testament again.

What day are Christians commanded to give? That giving is a part of worship, Acts 2:42.
Answer, first day of the week. Worship for Christians is Sunday.
What exactly is the problem with referring to the OT? Jesus said man is to live by every word that came from God. The OT came from God, did it not?

Reactions: GEN2REV

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The sacred calendar is not "Jewish". It is how God reckons time. Read Gen. 1-2. God issued numbers to the first 6 days, and then gave a name to the 7th day.

2. The fact that Sunday is referred to as the "first day of the week" in Acts 20:7 means there is still nothing sacred about the day, just as there wasn't anything sacred about it whenever it was mentioned in the OT.

The whole premise of your argument is entirely deceitful because it is based on the premise that divinely mandated traditions were invented by Jews.

3. Acts 20:7 does not support your obviously fallacious argument, because it is not describing the "Lord's Supper" at all. Proof of this lies in the fact that Acts 2:42, 46 mentions that the 1st century Christians regularly dined together to promote unity in their ranks:

You keep throwing passages around out of context to support an obviously dishonest cause, and all the while you are proving that Romanists are biblically illiterate. Just because the meal in Acts 20:7 happened on a Sunday, it is doesn't prove that it was as a Christian festival.

All of the disciples mentioned in that passage would've known about Sunday-keeping being a pagan tradition that God condemned in the OT scriptures, so again, there is 0 biblical support for the hare-brained idea that God suddenly changed His position on that.

You keep throwing passages around out of context to support an obviously dishonest cause, and all the while you are proving that Romanists are biblically illiterate. Just because the meal in Acts 20:7 happened on a Sunday, it is doesn't prove that it was as a Christian festival.

What part of, Acts 15:24 do you not understand?
Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment

You must ignore plain scripture to be a OT covenant keeper,

You a cursed,
Galatians 3:10

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice the corrupt, Jesus denying Pharisees, did exactly as the modern day Sabbatarians are guilty of.

Acts 15:5
But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, It is necessary to circumcise them(gentiles) and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

The apostles response:

Acts 15:24,
Since we have heard that some who out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles doctrine, was never eat common meals together.
The disciples obeyed the apostles doctrine.
You dont obey any new testament covenant to eat common meals together.
Show where any of the apostles taught this in Jesus' gospel?

What you do find is The apostles doctrine of the breaking of bread ie The Lords supper,
1Corinthians 11:23-34.

Now listen to what the early christians did,
Acts 2:42,
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Now Desire Of All Nations teaches that breaking of bread is eating a common meal, in Acts 2:42 ;46 is the apostles doctrine.

Not so! This is ignorance of not understanding the difference of eating a common meal as in Acts 2:46.
And breaking of bread ie Lords supper, Acts 2:42 .

Let's listen to the apostles doctrine on the subject of eating common meals. Is it the apostles doctrine as ,
Desire of All Nations claims?

1Corinthians 11:27,
Therefore whoever eats of this bread and drinks of this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be gulity of the body and blood ov the Lord.

That is the Lords supper. Apostles doctrine, Acts 2:42.

Now let's hear the apostles doctrine about eating a common meal during worship,

1Corinthians 11:33-34,
Therefore my brethren when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgement. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

Now, the apostles doctrine is to partake of the Lords supper in worship when the church comes together.
If anyone wants to eat a common meal, let the eat at home or you will be judged!

So, worship is not eating a common meal, this breaking bread on Sunday when the disciples come together is the Lotds supper,
Acts 20:7,
Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread. Paul ready to depart the next day, preached to them and continued His message until midnight.

No way in worship were these Christians eating a common meal.
The apostles doctrine, Acts 2:42 is partaking of the Lords supper.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.

And the fact that it's called Sun-day is evidence that it is the day of Sun-worship which goes all the way back to before Jesus' time, as you mention the people of that day being surely aware of.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok,
Tell me then,
Do I have to obey keeping Gods word?
Or was Jesus implying that is , if I want to or not?

Do you think keeping Gods word is optional?
I think those who love God, keep His Commandments, just as the title of the thread states.

And God's Commandments are Jesus' Commandments - per John 5:30 and John 10:30.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think those who love God, keep His Commandments, just as the title of the thread states.

And God's Commandments are Jesus' Commandments - per John 5:30 and John 10:30.

O, I see Gods commandments are Jesus' commandments,

of Sun-worship

No such thing as a Holy commandment new covenant calendar. God gives us liberty to follow whatever calendar is used in our time.
No Christian, sun-worships. Show me a christian today who worships the sun because of our calendar?
You wont find any!

Gods law is Jesus' law. One continuous Covenant, Ok,

Acts 15::5,
...it is necessary to circumcise them(chfistians).
You gonna keep your teaching true?
Gods commandment is circumcision.

And it's where God created, and sanctified, the 7th day Sabbath.
Genesis 2:2-

-3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

So Adam and Eve had to keep the Sabbath?
Wrong! The Sabbath was in the future!
This verse is a prolepsis. Something that has occurred but will be inacted in the furure.

The Sabbath command began with Israel,
Exodus 20:1-2; 8,
Remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy.

Who?
1-2,
I Am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Israelites, Hebrews, Jews. These are those who God gave the Sabbath commandment not gentiles!

Why do you mislead men?
]Notice the corrupt, Jesus denying Pharisees, did exactly as the modern day Sabbatarians are guilty of.

But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, It is necessary to circumcise them(gentiles) and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

The apostles response:

Since we have heard that some who out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment.

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple, proselytes to Judaism.

What part of, Acts 15:24 do you not understand?
Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment
You claimed that no Gentile was ever allowed in a synagogue, and you were conclusively proven wrong. The bottom line is that the scriptures show Gentiles being taught in a synagogue with Jews. Whether or not they were observing the traditions of the Pharisees is besides the point.

Furthermore, the "law" that is referred to in Acts 15:24 concerns the Pharisees' traditions. No one around here is telling you that you have to be physically circumcised to be saved, therefore, your argument is completely bogus. Read Acts 15:1-2. The issue was not clearly not about whether or not God's commandments had to be kept. Again, you are dishonestly trying to construe God's commandments as "Jewish".

Contrary to what you want to believe, it is you who fails to understand what is written in Acts 15:24.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really you proved me wrong?
Then show me where an uncircumcised gentile could enter the synagogue!

Why did Paul circumcise Timothy?,
Acts 16:3,
Paul wanted to have him go on with him. And he took him an circumcised him because of the Jews who were in the region, for they all knew that his father was greek.

Now give me a verse that teaches uncircumsiced gentiles could go into the synagogue?
IT WAS PROSELYTES THAT ENTERED THE SYNOGOGUE

You left that out because you are intentionally mis-representing me!

The apostles response:

Since we have heard that some who out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment[

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You accuse me of lying!
Here is the real liar!

Furthermore, the "law" that is referred to in Acts 15:24 concerns the Pharisees' traditions.

It is The Law!
That is not referring to the Pharisees sect!

It is the whole Law of Moses! You inserted the Pharisees traditions in the text. Nowhere does it say this.

The Pharisees were trying to force the gentile christians to keep THE LAW OF MOSES!

]Acts 15:5
But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, It is necessary to circumcise them(gentiles) and to command them to keep the law of Moses

The apostles response:

Since we have heard that some who out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, You must be circumcised and keep the law-- to whom we gave no such commandment[

Reactions: mailmandan

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone please calm yourselves...if you disagree with someone then simply say let's agree to disagree and move on.
No one in this thread is going to be changing their beliefs or how they choose to worship.
Each of you are accountable for your own salvation..
I have read through most of this thread and the atmosphere here is very hostile.
Where is the Holy Spirit? Not here....
Where is the exhorting and edifying one another? Not here...
Where is the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself? Not here....
Honestly, division of the body of believers over their different doctrinal beliefs is a weapon Satan uses all the time.
If this thread continues to be so hostile I am going to shut it down.
Thank you for your time.
God Bless