If you think Mary remained a virgin till she died, then bet on it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This OP is NOT about whether Mary was a perpetual virgin or not. I assume that you think she was. This post is about betting on what you believe.

Let proposition P1 = Mary remained a virgin till she died.
P2 = Mary did not remain a virgin till she died.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Are you willing to bet based on your weighting scheme?

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to mathematically and scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

You can say you are 100% sure the earth is flat. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 1:25 KJV: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Did not die a virgin. Mary & Joseph consummated their union after the birth of Jesus when the waiting period for cleansing was over !

P2 .the most maximum number possible to count....sorry I suck at rules;)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If you think Mary remained a virgin till she died, then bet on it​

Or was the idea virgin' on the ridiculous?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you think Mary remained a virgin till she died, then bet on it​

If ya'll are so curious about the lady's sex life, when and if you get to heaven, buy Joseph a beer, and let the conversation drift around to women, love, and marriage.

Last edited:

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on the above proposition? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

The only way P-1 is satisfied.... is if someone rejects biblical scripture …giving more credence to the words of man (religion) than that of the God Breathed Word. In essence, it is the veneration (not of Mary) but of the knowledge and writings of what man says (or written) about God (Mary, Joachim and Anne, and numerous other things)…. it is the original counterintelligence.

Religion is a stronghold, a verbal aphrodisiac which stimulates a lie…. giving it the euphoric appearance of truth, which is done at the behest of the enemy of Truth.

And, as is the nature of man ….they build stories, statues, stained glass, temples and cathedrals around their beliefs to solidify the lie with visuals in effort to bill the lie as truth ….which over time, with optics and teachings the lie is not only accepted as truth in the mind of the unsuspecting sincere followers… it overrides all else, because people will defend religion (religious beliefs) with every fiber of their being even when it contradicts the truth of the God breathed Word …. (Religion is what man thinks of God)

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only way P-1 is satisfied.... is if someone rejects biblical scripture …giving more credence to the words of man (religion) than that of the God Breathed Word. In essence, it is the veneration (not of Mary) but of the knowledge and writings of what man says (or written) about God (Mary, Joachim and Anne, and numerous other things)…. it is the original counterintelligence.

Religion is a stronghold, a verbal aphrodisiac which stimulates a lie…. giving it the euphoric appearance of truth, which is done at the behest of the enemy of Truth.

And, as is the nature of man ….they build stories, statues, stained glass, temples and cathedrals around their beliefs to solidify the lie with visuals in effort to bill the lie as truth ….which over time, with optics and teachings the lie is not only accepted as truth in the mind of the unsuspecting sincere followers… it overrides all else, because people will defend religion (religious beliefs) with every fiber of their being even when it contradicts the truth of the God breathed Word …. (Religion is what thinks of God)
I could roll with that!

Reactions: Tommy Cool

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P2=10 for sure. It is the only thing that matches up to scripture, and it's not at all difficult to see in the verses. I am astounded at what some wrest out of the scriptures to fit their pet doctrines. I was born and raised Catholic, never learned anything but fear, not the right kind of fear either. God help us all!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on the above proposition? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

P1 = 0%
P2 = 10%

Reactions: Nancy

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some ways Sigma I admire your conviction …not against the overwhelming evidence ….but here, against overwhelming odds. ….That doesn’t make it right…. but steadfastness and conviction are great attributes.

My steadfastness and conviction on this subject is because of God. He will always give those who speak the Truth such attributes, as He always has.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we can say the same thing.

Yea others can too, but I haven't had to lie, assume, insert words into verses that aren't there to make them mean what I want, put words in other people's mouths, etc., like others have in this debate. That shows who's speaking the Truth.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 1:25 KJV: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

The word used in Lk. 2:7 is "πρωτότοκος" (prōtotokos), or "firstborn" in English, and it has more than one definition. Until you show how the definition "eldest" applies, you're only assuming it does, and an assumption is not proof.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My steadfastness and conviction on this subject is because of God. He will always give those who speak the Truth such attributes, as He always has.

I don’t take anything away from God nor do I diminish Him in any way….

But attributes are not given by God they are developed by the individual. God does give us specific things which are laid out in His Word, but attributes (positive ones) like yours are developed ….I guess negative ones are developed also…. but you chose to harness the characteristics that allowed you to develop who you are.

We can pray for boldness …but God doesn’t make us bold. He will cause situations that allow a person to step up and be bold …..or that same person can just as easily cower in the face of adversity.

As believers we take on the characteristics of Christ from what we assimilate and believe (put on) of the Word of God. The attributes don’t come from just assimilation…. A I’s can do that ….but they cannot believe….and that is what it takes to strengthen and developed attributes ….

I used to say ….”You are what you believe” but that is inaccurate ….because if you are born …..no matter what you believe ….even if you totally dismiss God in your life …You are still born again ….heaven bound and all hell ain’t gunnna stop that. (1Pe 1:23)