If you think that Noah's flood was global, then bet on it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let proposition P1 = Noah's flood was global.
P2 = Noah's flood was not global but local.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Are you willing to bet based on your weighting scheme?

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

You can say that the moon is made of cheese. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

You can say that the moon is made of cheese. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.
This is simplicity itself.

First God stated His intent:

Genesis 6:17 KJV
And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

And then recorded the outcome:

Genesis 7:19-23 KJV
19) And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20) Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21) And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22) All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
23) And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

Everything was covered, and everything died.

I'm curious how you will arrange for a 3rd party to hold both our wagered funds, and how you propose to "prove" the matter so that I will be able to collect my winnings. Unless you have these things in mind, these words ARE cheap, as there will be no such wager.

Let me know that, I'll put up everything I have, because the Bible is plain on this.

Much love!

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is simplicity itself.

First God stated His intent:

Genesis 6:17 KJV
And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

And then recorded the outcome:

Genesis 7:19-23 KJV
19) And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20) Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21) And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22) All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
23) And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

Everything was covered, and everything died.

I'm curious how you will arrange for a 3rd party to hold both our wagered funds, and how you propose to "prove" the matter so that I will be able to collect my winnings. Unless you have these things in mind, these words ARE cheap, as there will be no such wager.

Let me know that, I'll put up everything I have, because the Bible is plain on this.

Much love!
This right here.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God's words below are truth, every mountain on earth was covered by water, every living substance upon earth died, "something you deny"

God's words before your eyes state the mountains were covered by 15 cubits, it states every living substance was destroyed on the earth, read it again, will you call the words of God below a lie?

Genesis 7:4 & 19-24KJV
4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

(Noah's Global Flood)

Genesis 7:20KJV
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

WEATHER NEWS

Why Are There Fish Fossils High Up In The Himalayas?​

By Mishana Khot​

29 June, 2018​

Representative image (skeeze/Pixabay)

The mighty Himalayas, also known as ‘The Roof of the World’, rise up to an incredible height, disappearing into the clouds on some days. Some of the world’s highest peaks are in the Himalayas, including Mount Everest, which at 29,029 feet is the highest mountain in the world. At these altitudes, the air is thin, and the temperatures are extreme. The land is arid and brown, and it looks like it’s been this way since the beginning of time. These mighty mountains are hundreds of miles away from the closest sea. So how is it possible that marine fossils have been found in multiple locations in the Himalayas?

How Did Seashells Get On Top Of Mount Everest?

March 29, 2023 by Allen Watkins

Some of the most unlikely places on Earth are home to seashells. Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world, is one of them. But how did they get there?

The discovery of fossils of ancient underwater creatures with shells at the summit of Mount Everest provides evidence that the mountain was once under an ocean. The fossils, including those of crinoids, are embedded in limestone at the summit of Everest. Crinoids are ancient underwater animals with tentacles and cone-shaped shells. The discovery of their fossils at the summit of Everest provides evidence that the mountain was once under an ocean.

Back when a huge fossilized whale was found on a California mountaintop (1899)

May 21, 2019

Fossilized whale found in Monterey County, California​

A fossil whale’s head, the remains of oysters and other things of the sea have just been unearthed in Monterey County, at a place 2300 feet above the sea level and eighteen miles inland from the present coastline.

NewYorkTimes

WHALE FOSSILS HIGH IN ANDES SHOW HOW MOUNTAINS ROSE FROM SEA​

By Malcolm W. Browne
  • March 12, 1987

The Fossils On Katahdin In Maine That Still Spark Debate With Geologists To This Day

By Chris Dodge|Published August 08, 2022

Way up the mountain where the trees start to thin out fossils can be found.
Not your typical dinosaur bones but sea life. Muscles, coral, and sea shells have been found pressed hard into the rock.

Questions arise with this interesting find. How did sea life get fossilized way up high on Mount Katahdin?
2022-07-05.jpeg

The Geology of Baxter State Park and Mount Katahdin
It’s an interesting question that beckons us to examine it closer. Speculation has been presented that Katahdin was once a volcano or the effects of Tectonioc Plates shifting. Most scientists will agree that much of Maine’s beautiful landscape was shaped by massive glacier runoff. What or how did that happen is a spark of debate.

Reuters

Fossils of giant marine reptiles found high in the Swiss Alps​

Will Dunham
April 28, 2022

(Reuters) - Fossils from some of the largest creatures ever to swim Earth's oceans - whale-sized marine reptiles called ichthyosaurs - have been found in a counterintuitive place: atop three mountains in the Swiss Alps up to 8,990 feet (2,740 meters) above sea level.

Reactions: Jack

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's words below are truth, every mountain on earth was covered by water, every living substance upon earth died, "something you deny"

God's words before your eyes state the mountains were covered by 15 cubits, it states every living substance was destroyed on the earth, read it again, will you call the words of God below a lie?

4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

(Noah's Global Flood)

Genesis 7:20KJV

WEATHER NEWS

Why Are There Fish Fossils High Up In The Himalayas?​

By Mishana Khot​

29 June, 2018​

The mighty Himalayas, also known as ‘The Roof of the World’, rise up to an incredible height, disappearing into the clouds on some days. Some of the world’s highest peaks are in the Himalayas, including Mount Everest, which at 29,029 feet is the highest mountain in the world. At these altitudes, the air is thin, and the temperatures are extreme. The land is arid and brown, and it looks like it’s been this way since the beginning of time. These mighty mountains are hundreds of miles away from the closest sea. So how is it possible that marine fossils have been found in multiple locations in the Himalayas?

How Did Seashells Get On Top Of Mount Everest?

March 29, 2023 by Allen Watkins

Some of the most unlikely places on Earth are home to seashells. Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world, is one of them. But how did they get there?

The discovery of fossils of ancient underwater creatures with shells at the summit of Mount Everest provides evidence that the mountain was once under an ocean. The fossils, including those of crinoids, are embedded in limestone at the summit of Everest. Crinoids are ancient underwater animals with tentacles and cone-shaped shells. The discovery of their fossils at the summit of Everest provides evidence that the mountain was once under an ocean.

Back when a huge fossilized whale was found on a California mountaintop (1899)

May 21, 2019

Fossilized whale found in Monterey County, California​

A fossil whale’s head, the remains of oysters and other things of the sea have just been unearthed in Monterey County, at a place 2300 feet above the sea level and eighteen miles inland from the present coastline.

NewYorkTimes

WHALE FOSSILS HIGH IN ANDES SHOW HOW MOUNTAINS ROSE FROM SEA​

By Malcolm W. Browne
  • March 12, 1987

The Fossils On Katahdin In Maine That Still Spark Debate With Geologists To This Day

By Chris Dodge|Published August 08, 2022

Way up the mountain where the trees start to thin out fossils can be found.
Not your typical dinosaur bones but sea life. Muscles, coral, and sea shells have been found pressed hard into the rock.

Questions arise with this interesting find. How did sea life get fossilized way up high on Mount Katahdin?
2022-07-05.jpeg

The Geology of Baxter State Park and Mount Katahdin
It’s an interesting question that beckons us to examine it closer. Speculation has been presented that Katahdin was once a volcano or the effects of Tectonioc Plates shifting. Most scientists will agree that much of Maine’s beautiful landscape was shaped by massive glacier runoff. What or how did that happen is a spark of debate.

Reuters

Fossils of giant marine reptiles found high in the Swiss Alps​

Will Dunham
April 28, 2022

(Reuters) - Fossils from some of the largest creatures ever to swim Earth's oceans - whale-sized marine reptiles called ichthyosaurs - have been found in a counterintuitive place: atop three mountains in the Swiss Alps up to 8,990 feet (2,740 meters) above sea level.
You would do yourself a favor to study to answer the question how the Himalayas became the mountains they are today, and similarly for the Sierras and the Swiss Alps.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please focus. You seem to have trouble staying on-topic. If you can't even do this, why should I pay attention to your interpretation of the Bible? Hermeneutics is a focused discipline. Again, please focus. You can do it. Answer the following with mathematical precision.

This is the 2nd time I have asked.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would do yourself a favor to study to answer the question how the Himalayas became the mountains they are today, and similarly for the Sierras and the Swiss Alps.
I have done my study, God's words clearly state every mountain was covered with water in Noah's time, every living substance died in Noah's flood, is God a liar?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please focus. You seem to have trouble staying on-topic. If you can't even do this, why should I pay attention to your interpretation of the Bible? Hermeneutics is a focused discipline. Again, please focus. You can do it. Answer the following with mathematical precision.

This is the 2nd time I have asked.
And I have responded several times with God's words below that you deny, once again!

God's words before your eyes state the mountains were covered by 15 cubits, it states every living substance was destroyed on the earth, Only that within the ark remained alive, read it again, will you call the words of God below a lie?

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I have responded several times with God's words below that you deny, once again!
I don't have time for this kind of childishness. This is the 3rd and the last time I'd ask.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have time for this kind of childishness. This is the 3rd and the last time I'd ask.

And I have responded several times with God's words below that you deny, once again it's not going to change, God has the last word!

God's words before your eyes state the mountains were covered by 15 cubits, it states every living substance was destroyed on the earth, Only that within the ark remained alive, read it again, will you call the words of God below a lie?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is quite clear the Flood was global. But what makes the difference? God drowned all by 8 "making them an example"!

2 Peter 2:4-6
4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;

Fillan

Feb 12, 2023
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Much love!
Hello Marks, interesting biblical points! Thanks for sharing. In addition to what the bible says there is plain logic. If the flood was local then why did Noah spend 120 years building a giant boat for a flood he could have walked away from in a few days? God Bless You :)

Reactions: marks and Jack

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the flood was local then why did Noah spend 120 years building a giant boat for a flood he could have walked away from in a few days?
Good question. Because as far as Noah and the writer of Genesis knew, it was the whole earth. There was no place to go to escape.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In addition to what the bible says there is plain logic. If the flood was local then why did Noah spend 120 years building a giant boat for a flood he could have walked away from in a few days? God Bless You :)
Just so! And why load up all those animals? They could have walked away with him.

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It wasn't global but it did cover the earth.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
FAQ: Is it possible that the Flood was local rather than global?

REPLY: Well; the problem with that theory is: the waters breached the
highest mountains by fifteen cubits (22½ feet). So then, if perchance Noah
lived in a geographic basin, the waters would have overflowed the
mountains surrounding him and kept on going before they ever got up to
that 22½ feet of extra elevation; which would've been air space instead of
solid rock.

But the water would start spilling past Noah's area long before it breached
the tops of the highest mountains surrounding him because mountain ranges
aren't shaped smooth, level, and planed like the rim of a domestic bath tub.
No; they're very irregular and consist of high points and low points; viz:
peaks, valleys, canyons, saddles, and passes.

Thus mountain ranges make poor bath tubs because you would lose water
through the low points before it even had a chance to fill to the peaks. In
point of fact, were the sides of your bathtub shaped like a mountain range;
you could never fill it. And in trying to; just end up with water all over the
floor.
_

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P1.
From 0 to 10, a 10.

But how do you “scientifically measure” an event that is specifically stated as a Divine occurrence?
Does not the Genesis account say that God was behind it, thus it was a miracle?
Miracles suspend the laws of Physics; therefore, science can’t measure the parts that were miraculous.

But we can measure the Flood, by what resulted from it, the world wide evidence left behind….

The freshwater Permafrost itself, and the animals found within it, stretching across the entire Northern Hemisphere, is just one.

Science hasn’t found any natural explanation for the evidence.

Last edited: