If

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there are some things the vast majority of Christians believe to be true. Are we to assume those things are true?
I make no such presumption. No one should. Too many apparently do... following the crowd or the natural hunger of their bellies instead of Jesus.

Early in his ministry when Jesus first began to open his mouth and speak to people there were thousands flocking to him to hear his anointed words. By the time of John chapter 6 the meat was too much for many of them. They wanted, I guess more of the wrong kind of meals to feed their natural bellies ...

"And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed." John 6:25-27

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People debate things, and one side will provide this set of scriptures to prove their point, and the other side will provide their set.
Sadly this is too true, yet you would be hard pressed to find this kind of "unity" or agreement amongst even those of the same denomination! Even the clergy.

The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth, and I believe some of these truth's can have multiple meanings but the core Christian values are pretty much the same. I always read the "statement of faith" when considering visiting a local body of believers.

Ephesians 4:13-15a
13 "...until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God, as we mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ. 14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ Himself, who is the head.…"

If I can't grasp something, I just lay it aside and come back to it later...

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we talking about things like the virgin birth, the literal resurrection of Jesus and Jesus being God? There are some central truths that most of us can agree on.
I don't think we can just discount all of Christian history and assume we are right and they were all wrong.
If you go back and look into some of their discussions, and I mean way back, like 1000 AD
you'll see a lot of agreement about the main things and lots of disagreement on stuff we don't even think about most times.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly this is too true, yet you would be hard pressed to find this kind of "unity" or agreement amongst even those of the same denomination! Even the clergy.

The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth, and I believe some of these truth's can have multiple meanings but the core Christian values are pretty much the same. I always read the "statement of faith" when considering visiting a local body of believers.

Ephesians 4:13-15a
13 "...until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God, as we mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ. 14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ Himself, who is the head.…"

If I can't grasp something, I just lay it aside and come back to it later...
Yes most of what people all agree on is true. So you can get the basics of doctrine from the mass consensus.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know why I posted the above...I guess it just felt like that is the core if what this thread is about.
I loved all the verses you used in that post H2S.
Yes the "core" of what we should ALL believe and have in common...The gospel!! The "good news" of the greatest gift ever... JESUS CHRIST! Sing it sister! :D

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we talking about things like the virgin birth, the literal resurrection of Jesus and Jesus being God? There are some central truths that most of us can agree on.
I don't think we can just discount all of Christian history and assume we are right and they were all wrong.
If you go back and look into some of their discussions, and I mean way back, like 1000 AD
you'll see a lot of agreement about the main things and lots of disagreement on stuff we don't even think about most times.
In the back of my mind is this question: If most Christians believe something, should we assume they are right? In other words, is it possible most Christians are wrong about something?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the majority of Christians believe something to be true, can we assume it's true?
Absolutely not. And the precedent is written of Israel, God's chosen, the majority of whom were so wrong they crucified their Messiah.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I loved all the verses you used in that post H2S.
Yes the "core" of what we should ALL believe and have in common...The gospel!! The "good news" of the greatest gift ever... JESUS CHRIST! Sing it sister! :D
I'll shout it from the mountain top!
I want the world to know..
The Lord of Lords, has come to me...
And I want to pass it on...:cool: ♡♡♡♡

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll shout it from the mountain top!
I want the world to know..
The Lord of Lords, has come to me...
And I want to pass it on...:cool: ♡♡♡♡

"...Shout to the Lord all the Earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name..."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the back of my mind is this question: If most Christians believe something, should we assume they are right? In other words, is it possible most Christians are wrong about something?
Yes, it is possible. We are still people. After being saved out of bondage in Egypt, how many of the 600,000 natural offspring of Israel, not including women and children, were wrong in the way they followed Moses and God in the wilderness? All but two!

Reactions: Nancy