Imputed righteousness;

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Imputed righteousness;

Impute = 1.to attribute (something, a crime, a fault) to another; charge with; ascribe.
2. in theology, to ascribe (good or evil) to a person as coming from another

Phil 3:1-21
1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe.
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation!
3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

*** What is Paul talking about when he said "and have no confidence in the flesh?"

4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so:
5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee;
6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law,blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

*** Some teach that a person must have righteousness of their own. Yet Paul called his "own" righteousness under the law "rubbish." Paul claimed the righteousness of God that is "imputed" to him because of his faith in what Jesus Christ did for him on the cross.

10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

*** Some teach that a Christian has attained perfection while living in this world. It seems that Paul would disagree.

13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.
16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.

*** Paul taught "faith" as the way to salvation. It is his example of faith that we are to follow.

18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame-- who set their mind on earthly things.
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
(NKJ)

Rom 4:11
11 And he (Abraham) received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,
(NKJ)

*** The words, "that righteousness might be imputed to them also" clearly shows that it is God that imputes righteousness.

Rom 4:20-24
20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,
21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
22 And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness."
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone that it was imputed to him,
24 but also for us. It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead,
(NKJ)

*** And we also are convinced that God will keep His promises to us. "Whosoever calls upon the name of Jesus will be saved." "He that believes in me (Jesus) has passed from death unto life." These are God's promises.

Rom 5:12-13
12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned--
13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
(NKJ)

*** And we, who are in Jesus, have died to the law and are, therefore, no longer under the law. We are free to live unto God having a good conscience. For we turned to God when we saw into our own hearts and realized that we live in a body with a sinful nature and are powerless to save ourselves. We deny ourselves (our ability) and look to Jesus to save us. Trusting in Him to accomplish our salvation.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Imputed righteousness;

Impute = 1.to attribute (something, a crime, a fault) to another; charge with; ascribe.
2. in theology, to ascribe (good or evil) to a person as coming from another

Phil 3:1-21
1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe.
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation!
3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

*** What is Paul talking about when he said "and have no confidence in the flesh?"

4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so:
5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee;
6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law,blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

*** Some teach that a person must have righteousness of their own. Yet Paul called his "own" righteousness under the law "rubbish." Paul claimed the righteousness of God that is "imputed" to him because of his faith in what Jesus Christ did for him on the cross.

10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

*** Some teach that a Christian has attained perfection while living in this world. It seems that Paul would disagree.

13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.
16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.

*** Paul taught "faith" as the way to salvation. It is his example of faith that we are to follow.

18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame-- who set their mind on earthly things.
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
(NKJ)

Rom 4:11
11 And he (Abraham) received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,
(NKJ)

*** The words, "that righteousness might be imputed to them also" clearly shows that it is God that imputes righteousness.

Rom 4:20-24
20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,
21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
22 And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness."
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone that it was imputed to him,
24 but also for us. It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead,
(NKJ)

*** And we also are convinced that God will keep His promises to us. "Whosoever calls upon the name of Jesus will be saved." "He that believes in me (Jesus) has passed from death unto life." These are God's promises.

Rom 5:12-13
12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned--
13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
(NKJ)

*** And we, who are in Jesus, have died to the law and are, therefore, no longer under the law. We are free to live unto God having a good conscience. For we turned to God when we saw into our own hearts and realized that we live in a body with a sinful nature and are powerless to save ourselves. We deny ourselves (our ability) and look to Jesus to save us. Trusting in Him to accomplish our salvation.

What! No disagreements!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
The righteousness is imputed to us so that we may walk in it. His righteousness is in his very nature. We receive that nature that we might be like him, thus we are 'born from above'.

If we are made alive in the spirit, we must also walk by the spirit. Can man walk by the spirit and fulfill the lusts of the flesh?

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
The righteousness is imputed to us so that we may walk in it. His righteousness is in his very nature. We receive that nature that we might be like him, thus we are 'born from above'.

If we are made alive in the spirit, we must also walk by the spirit. Can man walk by the spirit and fulfill the lusts of the flesh?

Looks like Paul said man can, Romans 7, last 8 words.

If we can become righteous by our works to be righteous then Jesus shed His blood for nothing.

Nothing is said, in scriptures that our flesh recieves righteousness; only our spirit is righteous before God.

We are to walk in the rigtesousness that is imputed to us by faith and you can not do that in the flesh, only in the spirit.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Galatians 5:16
[ Walking in the Spirit ] I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Your confusion still is the same.

To do something while living in the flesh does not mean to do it by the flesh. To do something by the flesh is to do it by the strength of the flesh.

Did Jesus have a body like ours?

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Galatians 5:16
[ Walking in the Spirit ] I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Your confusion still is the same.

To do something while living in the flesh does not mean to do it by the flesh. To do something by the flesh is to do it by the strength of the flesh.

Did Jesus have a body like ours?

We do not have a body that does not sin. If we did we would not need God's imputed righteousness.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Of course!

But Christ has a body just like ours, and never sinned. Why? Because he walked by the spirit. Is God weaker than sinful flesh, so that if he fills a man completely with his spirit sin still reigns?

Of course not!

God wants help meets, a bride, a people who willingly obey him. Because of this, we need much training to be like him, but by the power and work of the spirit within us it is possible.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Of course!

But Christ has a body just like ours, and never sinned. Why? Because he walked by the spirit. Is God weaker than sinful flesh, so that if he fills a man completely with his spirit sin still reigns?

Of course not!

God wants help meets, a bride, a people who willingly obey him. Because of this, we need much training to be like him, but by the power and work of the spirit within us it is possible.

So you are claiming that God has so filled you with the Holy Spirit that you no longer sin. Since you no longer sin you do not need God's imputed righteousness you have your own, right?!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
No, not me. I claim God is capable of so filling a man and so working in the man, by the power of the cross and the power of the ressurection.

God's imputed righteousness is that he gives us to walk in his righteousness, not because it is of us, but it is made available to us through his son.

We are to walk in the same power as he does, in the power of the ressurection, now.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Romans 4:1-8 --- Abraham Justified by Faith (Genesis 17:10)

1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin."

NKJV

We have no righteousness of our own. However, under grace we are accounted as righteous when we believe God. To believe God is to take Him at His word and that word was sent to us through the gospel of grace that was given to Paul by Jesus.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Faith without works is dead.

So you wish to bind the children of God to the Law of Moses. James wrote his letter to the Jews (James 1:1) who were under the Law of Moses, not the Gentiles who are under grace. Our works of the flesh do not save us. Only faith in the blood of Jesus shed on cross can save a person.

1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV
Those that quote James do not believe verse 5 above.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Once again, to claim two gospels is false.

Paul says in acts 20 that he has preached the gospel of grace, the kingdom of God. They are one and the same gospel.

To think that grace is a free pass to heaven is to have no understanding of the will of God. He wishes us to be conformed to him, to destroy sin, not hide it.

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
Once again, to claim two gospels is false.

Paul says in acts 20 that he has preached the gospel of grace, the kingdom of God. They are one and the same gospel.

To think that grace is a free pass to heaven is to have no understanding of the will of God. He wishes us to be conformed to him, to destroy sin, not hide it.
Amen Prentis!

People who have suffered for Christ's sake would be apalled to hear this teaching of how it's a free pass into heaven, that all we do is believe. Even the demons believe and they shudder!

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
So you wish to bind the children of God to the Law of Moses. James wrote his letter to the Jews (James 1:1) who were under the Law of Moses, not the Gentiles who are under grace. Our works of the flesh do not save us. Only faith in the blood of Jesus shed on cross can save a person.

NKJV
Those that quote James do not believe verse 5 above.
I have never said we are saved by our works, yet if you don't have faith - you don't have works.

God has given each of us spiritual gifts, it's like the parable of the talent, if you use your gifts, you receive more, and more is expected, if you don't use them, you receive less and less is expected of you.

So do you use them or not? If you use them - that's work - heaven forbid anyone would use their spiritual gifts for the glory of God that they might be misconstrued as work or worse yet obedience! Yet it's a sin if you don't use what God has freely given you!

Look, here is that word "works" again.

Eph 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to DO good works, which God prepared in advance for us to DO."

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Don't talk about works, Jake, don't talk about doing, we're gonna have to excommunicate you if you don't stop! :lol:

A dear brother of mine once did a study about works, and found 4 kinds.

I can't quite remember all four, but of course there are dead works, by which man may try in vain to justify himself (no man can justify himself). There are the works of faith also, those prepared in advance by God.

Acts 8. God tells Ananias 'go to a street called straight, there you will find a man named Saul. Renew his vision'. Ananias' obedience is a work of faith, prepared in advance by God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
In today's 'civilized' society, we very rarely talk about 'burning someone at the stake' for believing differently... And so we assume we've grown up and are better.

But to reject the truth and not want to hear it, and simply not cause 'physical harm' because of our 'civility' is only cultural, and denotes no spiritual change if the hatred is the same. Of course, if we lovingly disagree that is different.

I simply have this thought because their is this thinking that says that we have evolved, we are more civilized and better, but that does not denote true change, only the trend of the times.

Just a thought I had :)

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
Society as a whole has been permeated with the spirit of the anti-christ, so the only thing we have done is evolved further and further away from Truth, the same spirit has continued dividing Christians by increasing the amount of denominations and throwing doctrines of men out and misleading more and more people.

Good point about the trends of the time, we justify our behavior because we say it's simply the trends of the time, even if the behavior is far from the Truth. As we enter further and further into society, we can barely see Him anymore, but this kind of evolving is called "good".

That's why, we as the Body of Christ, need to get out and DO the work He has prepared for us, to help in building His Kingdom.