In Peleg's days, the EARTH was divided

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gen 10:

25To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided,
What does "earth" refer to? Single Earth continent?

I don't think so. Let's read on:

and his brother’s name was Joktan. 26Joktan fathered Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 27Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 28Obal, Abimael, Sheba, 29Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab; all these were the sons of Joktan. 30The territory in which they lived extended from Mesha in the direction of Sephar to the hill country of the east. 31These are the sons of Shem, by their clans, their languages, their lands, and their nations.
32These are the clans of the sons of Noah, according to their genealogies, in their nations, and from these the nations spread abroad on the earth after the flood.
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:

(25) Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided.—This may refer to the breaking up of the race of Shem into separate nations.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges:

The reference is generally assumed to be to the division, or dispersion, of the peoples at the tower of Babel, the words being an anticipation of the story in Genesis 11:1-9. “The earth” will then mean “the inhabitants of the earth,” as in Genesis 11:1 and Genesis 19:31.
Pulpit Commentary:

At the confusion of tongues (Bochart, Rosenmüller, Keil, Lange, Murphy); at an earlier separation of the earth's population (Delitzsch).
Barnes' Notes on the Bible:

The verb "divide" (פלג pālag) occurs only three times elsewhere in the Hebrew scriptures 1 Chronicles 1:19; Job 38:25; Psalm 55:10. The connection in which this rare word is used in the Psalm, "divide their tongues," seems to determine its reference in the present passage to the confusion of tongues and consequent dispersion of mankind recorded in the following chapter.
Matthew Poole's Commentary:

The earth was divided, first in language, and then in habitations.
Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament:

in his days the earth, i.e., the population of the earth, was divided, in consequence of the building of the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:8).
All these commentators agree that "the earth was divided" refers to the people of the earth being divided into nations and languages. I would like to see any scholarly references interpreting this as the earth being divided into continents.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Gen 10:

Pulpit Commentary:

All these commentators agree that "the earth was divided" refers to the people of the earth being divided into nations and languages. I would like to see any scholarly references interpreting this as the earth being divided into continents.

There isn't, as far as I know, any commentators who think the continents were really decided in Plegeg time.

The division of the continents happen as the flood waters receded. In breaking up the tectonic plates, ßinking the ocean basins and rising up the mountain ranges, God made space for the waters of the flood.

Reactions: rwb and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There isn't, as far as I know, any commentators who think the continents were really decided in Plegeg time.

The division of the continents happen as the flood waters receded. In breaking up the tectonic plates, ßinking the ocean basins and rising up the mountain ranges, God made space for the waters of the flood.
Some think there were massive ice deposits at the poles, which took a while to melt and fill the new ocean basins, so that it may have been during Peleg's time this happened.

First God tore up the world into different parts, then scattered the people, then filled the oceans to separate them? Maybe.

It's always interesting to me to see people's though processes as they make one thing become another, in this case, the earth becomes the people.

I find that Biblical disagreements tend to arise because someone is saying, It says THIS, but means THAT.

Much love!

Reactions: rwb

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
there were massive ice deposits at the poles,
More than just the poles. The volcanic activity going on as the tectonic plates split and moved had several affects.
Massive amounts of dust etc thrown into the upper atmosphere cooled the land, reflecting the sun's heat away, while the eruption of thousand of square mi.es of larva heated the oceans.
Warm water with a cool dry wind means massive evaporation which inturn is precipitated as snow over a cold land mass.
With cool summers and colder winter's snow would build up causing an ice sheet covering g the northern hemisphere.
This would only start to melt as volcanic activity subsided allowing dust in the atmosphere to settle.
Reduced volcanic activity would also allow the oceans to cool, reducing precipitation and as both summers and winters warmed so the ice sheet would melt.

Ken Hams scientists are not stupid, they have researched this.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 10:

Pulpit Commentary:

I'm not of that belief or conviction nor do I interprete verse 32 ad such. Why the unique comment regarding Peleg as opposed to all the other comments prior to 32 and after 25? They all are no different than those pertaining to genealogy as is that of Peleg and Joktan. Peleg is just one separate listing as are the others. Why is Peleg singled out and not linked with Joktan and all the others listed? And Peleg begat no one as opposed to Joktan who did beget others that must have been alive at the same time one would think based on the like timing, unless there was a span of time in Peleg and his brother Joktan's days that Joktan had not yet begotten children, during which time the earth itself was divided. The scripture then goes on to list Joktan's progeny in verse 26. Also, verse 32 says the NATIONS in the earth were divided, not the earth as does verse 25. There is a distinction made between verse 25 and 32. Why doesn't verse 25 say 'for in his days were the nations of the earth divided'?The argument that verse 25 means nations and not the land itself is not a sound one in my view.

Gen 10:25

"25And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan."

26And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah, 27And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah, 28And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba, 29And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan. 30And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east. 31These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.

Gen 10:32

32These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can rely on so-called scholars and experts if you like,
That's not the only thing I rely on.

but the only opinion that I value is mine based on my own study,
knowlege, common sense, and understanding.
Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on this?

BTW, I weigh everyone and everything, including your opinion. :)

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not the only thing I rely on.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on this?

BTW, I weigh everyone and everything, including your opinion. :)
10 based on my own aforementioned study, knowledge, common sense, and understanding which I value above all else. I let the words of the bible and careful study guide me and not the opinions of others or that of religious organizations including that which I'm part of.

Reactions: marks

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
10 based on my own aforementioned study, knowledge, common sense, and understanding which I value above all else. I let the words of the bible and careful study guide me and not the opinions of others or that of religious organizations including that which I'm part of.
Are you willing to bet based on your conviction?

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 10:

Pulpit Commentary:

According to the Strong's Hebrew Dictionary H6389 the meaning of the name Peleg originates from a Hebrew word H6388 that is defined
river, stream. This word originates from the Hebrew 6385 and is defined - divide.

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
6385. פָּלַג palag (pâlag)

פָּלַג pâlag, paw-lag' - divide

a primitive root; to split (literally or figuratively):—divide.

6388. פֶּלֶג peleg (peleg)

פֶּלֶג peleg, peh'-leg

from H6385; a rill (i.e. small channel of water, as in irrigation):—river, stream.

6389. פֶּלֶג Peleg (Peleg)

פֶּלֶג Peleg, peh'-leg the same as H6388; earthquake; Peleg, a son of Shem:—Peleg.

When going to the origin of the name Peleg, a son of Shem, and his birth being associated with "the days the earth was divided" how does earthquake fit the opinion that it "refers to the people of the earth being divided into nations and languages" and not the earth itself being divided into continents and separations by water?

I don't have the answer, simply exploring all possibilities.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any scholarly reference?

It seems you often insist on having scholarly references! Do you believe one must be a Biblical scholar to understand Biblical doctrine? Does not the common Christian man not also have the Spirit to guide him within?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are willing to bet, then you will find out. Do you want to put your money where your mouth is?
As I said, no one is qualified to serve as the supreme arbitrator, so your comments are illogical. I've offered my opinion and logic; study more to arrive at your own conclusion as did I.

• Love

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As I said, no one is qualified to serve as the supreme arbitrator, so your comments are illogical. I've offered my opinion and logic; study more to arrive at your own conclusion as did I.
As I said, if you are willing to bet, then you will find out. Do you want to put your money where your mouth is or are you in the habit of making claims without a penny's support?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've stated my position. Who will be the arbitrator of a so-called bet? Makes no sense as no one possesses supreme authority to do so.
That wanna bet stuff he got from a website. It doesn't make any sense. It's silly.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only Supreme arbitrator I know doesn't live on this planet.
This is the 3rd and the last time I am asking you: Are you willing to bet? Do you want to find out who is the Supreme arbitrator? Then go ahead and proceed with the bet. It is a bad habit to say things without some sort of external support of your words other than your own mouth.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said, if you are willing to bet, then you will find out. Do you want to put your money where your mouth is or are you in the habit of making claims without a penny's support
I think these are empty words. Who will determine who wins the bet? And how? Hm? Will you both put your cash in my hand, and I will decide who wins?

Much love!