'In quietness and confidence shall be your strength'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nitpicky for those who can research: 'Righteousness' is apparently more accurate than the world 'Charity' in Scripture. Some sites I saw a decade ago showed that 'charity' is often if not always a misunderstood translation used (sometimes/often?) as if to promote false good feelings, etc ....
The Righteous Godly Jews (not the misled ones) may have had no word for 'charity' - it was not used nor thought good, ? , as it was/is of the fleshly way(s)/ worldly ways of describing-thinking various attitudes and acts.

Get translations render the word different. But there was and is a word for it. Those of the promise looking to: 1 Peter 1:10-12 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: [11] Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. [12] Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

“Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things” ...if that is not brotherly love, charity, or seeking after the glory that should follow “when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.” Then I don’t know a better Example of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 than they ministered those things for the sake of Christ in seeking after not their own but another “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.”

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Referring to the doctors and nurses who are putting their lives at risk in carrying out their duties towards those in their care, they are doing their jobs, it is how they earn a living. At this present time it involves the risk of contamination and possible death in the performance of those duties, but it is none the less a choice they have made. They deserve our admiration at this time, because they have to face the fear associated with performing their duties, and have had inadequate equipment to enable them to do so.

When I referred to the words,
'a form of godliness but denying the power thereof' of 2 Timothy 3:5, it was in relation to the works of self-sacrifice being manifested in this present time of difficulty. It all has the appearance of godliness, for it bears the same hallmarks, but it is entirely of man.

In your OP or one following it you said: the good should not keep us from the best. Ask you to consider this in the passage where God said they seek after water, food and clothing. How He promised to provide those things. Don’t let the good keep you from the best. You are questioning the world right now turning to the temporal and their own power in this and neglecting God. We don’t to eat the same bread, nor drink the same water where one drinks Of that water and they thirst again, we don’t put on the same garment being clothed richly instead in all Spiritual things of God. We can’t condemn them for going hard after the world and the things of it, yet in the same breath say what His body drinks, what His body eats, and what His body is clothed in ...are the same but going from the good to the Greater of: He who is in you is Greater than he who is in the world. Do get what you are saying of man being applauded right now and not God. What you seem to be suggesting (or seeing) is there is a difference between dead works and those works of Faith in God.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Get translations render the word different. But there was and is a word for it.
And originally (the meaning from God over 2000 years ago) ? I did a quik web search for tidbits:

Tzedakah - Wikipedia
Tzedakah - Wikipedia
Tzedakah [ts(e)daˈka] (Hebrew: צדקה) is a Hebrew word meaning "justice" or "righteousness," but commonly used to signify charity. This concept of "charity" differs from the modern Western understanding of "charity." The latter is typically understood as a spontaneous act of goodwill and a marker of generosity; tzedakah is an ethical obligation. ...

Judaism 101: Tzedakah: Charity
[Search domain www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm] www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm
The Meaning of the Word "Tzedakah" "Tzedakah" is the Hebrew word for the acts that we call "charity" in English: giving aid, assistance and money to the poor and needy or to other worthy causes. However, the nature of tzedakah is very different from the idea of charity.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You began by referring to the people's dependence upon the government for assistance and advice during this present crisis, and to the criticism of the way that the government is handling the crisis coming from the churches. You draw attention to the wealth of the churches, and refer to Acts 5:1-3 and Luke 18 22-23, as illustrative of the obligation of the church to look after the poor and needy.

“Draw attention to the wealth of the churches... “ consider taking joyfully the distributing of your possessions to the poor ...knowing in yourselves you have a better and enduring wealth in Heaven. a verse keeps coming up how Jesus Christ thought it not robbery to become a servant. are the churches giving up the multitude of banked wealth (thinking it not robbery to be His likeness)to distribute to the poor for a Better wealth (treasure in Heaven). His command was to distribute to the poor and come follow after Him.
Philippians 2:3-8 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. [4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Thought it not robbery to be equal with God but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of servant ...obedient unto death, even death of the cross. Distribute to the poor...have wealth in Heaven. Are the churches, as the world is also ...looking for the government to distribute its wealth to the poor and to bring aide. Does the church see it as robbery to give it’s temporal wealth and become a servant knowing there is greater wealth in obedience unto death, even death of the cross. What is equal to God?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And originally (the meaning from God over 2000 years ago) ? I did a quik web search for tidbits:

Tzedakah - Wikipedia
Tzedakah - Wikipedia
Tzedakah [ts(e)daˈka] (Hebrew: צדקה) is a Hebrew word meaning "justice" or "righteousness," but commonly used to signify charity. This concept of "charity" differs from the modern Western understanding of "charity." The latter is typically understood as a spontaneous act of goodwill and a marker of generosity; tzedakah is an ethical obligation. ...

Judaism 101: Tzedakah: Charity
[Search domain www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm] www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm
The Meaning of the Word "Tzedakah" "Tzedakah" is the Hebrew word for the acts that we call "charity" in English: giving aid, assistance and money to the poor and needy or to other worthy causes. However, the nature of tzedakah is very different from the idea of charity.

tried to find the verse on the fatherless and widows. Couldn’t find the one I was looking for though. What has always stood out there is how can one give away all their goods to the poor and give their body to be burned and still not have love? Maybe fits with @charity point of having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof.

There is a lot there regarding love and do see your point (maybe) of “is very different from the idea of Charity”. Between that which remains and that which does not remain. Between that which fails and ceases, and that which does not fail. 1 Corinthians 13:8–13 (YLT): The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless; 9for in part we know, and in part we prophecy; 10and when that which is perfect may come, then that which is in part shall become useless. 11When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; 12for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known; 13and now there doth remain faith, hope, love—these three; and the greatest of these is love.

really has nothing to do with the above but how many times do we read of God making useless the things of men without God so that they will turn to Him? 1 Corinthians 2:5–6 (YLT): that your faith may not be in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. And wisdom we speak among the perfect, and wisdom not of this age, nor of the rulers of this age—of those becoming useless,

2 Corinthians 3:11 (YLT): for if that which is being made useless is through glory, much more that which is remaining is in glory.

2 Corinthians 3:12–16 (YLT): Having, then, such hope, we use much freedom of speech, 13and are not as Moses, who was putting a vail upon his own face, for the sons of Israel not stedfastly to look to the end of that which is being made useless, 14but their minds were hardened, for unto this day the same vail at the reading of the Old Covenant doth remain unwithdrawn—which in Christ is being made useless— 15but till to-day, when Moses is read, a vail upon their heart doth lie, 16and whenever they may turn unto the Lord, the vail(that doth lie) is taken away.

1 Corinthians 1:26–29 (YLT): for see your calling, brethren, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but the foolish things of the world did God choose, that the wise He may put to shame; and the weak things of the world did God choose that He may put to shame the strong; 28and the base things of the world, and the things despised did God choose, and the things that are not, that the things that are He may make useless— 29that no flesh may glory before Him;

1 Corinthians 15:22–26 (YLT): for even as in Adam all die, so also in the Christ all shall be made alive, 23and each in his proper order, a first-fruit Christ, afterwards those who are the Christ’s, in his presence, 24then—the end, when he may deliver up the reign to God, even the Father, when he may have made useless all rule, and all authority and power— 25for it behoveth him to reign till he may have put all the enemies under his feet— 26the last enemy is done away—death.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What has always stood out there is how can one give away all their goods to the poor and give their body to be burned and still not have love?
They did it for show. This is drawn out - revealed simply and clearly , in some of the translations.

Love is NOT an emotion, nor a feeling, as God calls it. It is a CHOICE of the WILL. CHOOSE WHO TO SERVE.

God or anything else.

Serving God, we are told to let others know that we are required to always DO what is best for them.

Jesus says clearly, if someone loves ME, He obeys ME(Jesus/God). -- no wishy washy fleshly carnal feelings .....

rather, A CHOICE of the will.

Reactions: charity

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did it for show. This is drawn out - revealed simply and clearly , in some of the translations.

Love is NOT an emotion, nor a feeling, as God calls it. It is a CHOICE of the WILL. CHOOSE WHO TO SERVE.

God or anything else.

Serving God, we are told to let others know that we are required to always DO what is best for them.

Jesus says clearly, if someone loves ME, He obeys ME(Jesus/God). -- no wishy washy fleshly carnal feelings .....

rather, A CHOICE of the will.

We choose? Whose will?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As God says: Choose TODAY who you will serve.

Most people choose to reject Jesus, and to continue to serve the enemy, demons, the flesh, or the world.

enough topics already on who chooses. On the topic of what is going on right now in the United States and around the world...heard the president say the other day (paraphrasing) the spirit seen right now in the United States and around the world is remarkable. The kindness and love being displayed from those on the front lines fighting. Surely doctors and nurses are confronted right now with things I can’t even imagine. They are doing more than I am doing sitting on my bottom doing nothing. Who am I to judge if the kindness and love of many is for show or of Him. Acts 5:38–39 (YLT): Refrain from these men, and let them alone, because if this counsel or this work may be of men, it will be overthrown, 39and if it be of God, ye are not able to overthrow it, lest perhaps also ye be found fighting against God.’

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
enough topics already on who chooses. On the topic of what is going on right now in the United States and around the world...heard the president say the other day (paraphrasing) the spirit seen right now in the United States and around the world is remarkable. The kindness and love being displayed from those on the front lines fighting. Surely doctors and nurses are confronted right now with things I can’t even imagine. They are doing more than I am doing sitting on my bottom doing nothing. Who am I to judge if the kindness and love of many is for show or of Him. Acts 5:38–39 (YLT): Refrain from these men, and let them alone, because if this counsel or this work may be of men, it will be overthrown, 39and if it be of God, ye are not able to overthrow it, lest perhaps also ye be found fighting against God.’
Sorry, no.
The deception is very wide-spread, even more than ten years ago... but a few people are learning by God's Grace the truth.

Everything born of the flesh, IS flesh, and profits nothing. This has not changed in six thousand years, nor since it was written in Scripture, inspired/ breathed by the Creator.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“Draw attention to the wealth of the churches... “ consider taking joyfully the distributing of your possessions to the poor ...knowing in yourselves you have a better and enduring wealth in Heaven. a verse keeps coming up how Jesus Christ thought it not robbery to become a servant. are the churches giving up the multitude of banked wealth (thinking it not robbery to be His likeness)to distribute to the poor for a Better wealth (treasure in Heaven). His command was to distribute to the poor and come follow after Him.
Philippians 2:3-8 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. [4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Thought it not robbery to be equal with God but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of servant ...obedient unto death, even death of the cross. Distribute to the poor...have wealth in Heaven. Are the churches, as the world is also ...looking for the government to distribute its wealth to the poor and to bring aide. Does the church see it as robbery to give it’s temporal wealth and become a servant knowing there is greater wealth in obedience unto death, even death of the cross. What is equal to God?
Hi VictoryinJesus,

What the various denominations do with the money they receive is between them and their Lord. I have no way of knowing how they administer it. There is more than one way to 'give', it is not all about giving money. Time, comfort, love, and personal care can be given by most, regardless of their financial circumstances. Many give themselves tirelessly in the service of others, away from public gaze, their labour being for God's eyes only. They do not talk about it, but just get on with it in the name of their Lord and Saviour.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi VictoryinJesus,

What the various denominations do with the money they receive is between them and their Lord. I have no way of knowing how they administer it. There is more than one way to 'give', it is not all about giving money. Time, comfort, love, and personal care can be given by most, regardless of their financial circumstances. Many give themselves tirelessly in the service of others, away from public gaze, their labour being for God's eyes only. They do not talk about it, but just get on with it in the name of their Lord and Saviour.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Agree. But that could also be nurses or doctors who give of themselves where it isn’t all about the money. as there are nurses and doctors who go to church and sit in the congregations. My only question was about tithes being collected to keep a building going when the many members of that church building struggle to eat and have what they need day to day. The building faring far better than its many members. Only questioning during this: if a church has a million for the building of a new sanctuary why not let go of that in the store house to those in this crisis that make up the true body(building) of God? Only asking if more importance is put on the buildings that cover the nation instead of the body and what it puts on of one another. You are right though that I have no right to question the different denominations but by what you pointed out in your OP. Right now that building taking up blocks and looking pretty on the outside is not even on the list of: essential. ABC stores and liquor made the list of essential though. Big demand right now in the nations for liquor.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agree. But that could also be nurses or doctors who give of themselves where it isn’t all about the money. as there are nurses and doctors who go to church and sit in the congregations. My only question was about tithes being collected to keep a building going when the many members of that church building struggle to eat and have what they need day to day. The building faring far better than its many members. Only questioning during this: if a church has a million for the building of a new sanctuary why not let go of that in the store house to those in this crisis that make up the true body(building) of God? Only asking if more importance is put on the buildings that cover the nation instead of the body and what it puts on of one another. You are right though that I have no right to question the different denominations but by what you pointed out in your OP. Right now that building taking up blocks and looking pretty on the outside is not even on the list of: essential. ABC stores and liquor made the list of essential though. Big demand right now in the nations for liquor.
Hi VictoryinJesus,

May God's will be done in and through each one of us, for His Name and Glory's sake.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

I have been watching the news, and it is obviously largely taken up with the coronavirus, it's effect upon society, and the measures being taken to overcome the problem's associated with it. But I have left the television screen to come away by myself, for my mind is saturated by reports of humanity's efforts to counteract the devastating effects of this pandemic. So many stories of valour and bravery, kindness and consideration on the part of so many, as they seek to encourage and uplift those in lock-down. Singing and clapping and other expressions of appreciation for the work of those who serve on the front line of this invasion. All worthy of praise!

However, wonderful as it is to see the best of humanity at a time of crises, I feel that God is being lost amid the clamour. We have a form of godliness around us, which denies the power thereof. We must not let the good things of this world keep us from the best.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Charity,
I want to encourage you to continue to share the things on your heart as you do....I love reading your posts and there is always a sense of peace and love in your words. I don't recall ever reading anything you have posted that stirred up strife.

You are very passionate and compassionate about the Word of God and the spiritual condition of His people. God Bless you for that....your heart is pure and you are most definitely lead of the Holy Spirit when you submit a thread. You are a true disciple of Jesus and what He is all about. And there is so much wisdom in what you share and how you present it.

Your concerns about the world resolving a crisis without calling upon God to move and intervene is justified....the world wants to give all the praise to their scientific discovery and give technology all the glory.

But He is on the scene even now, the Holy Spirit is being poured out mightily, signs and wonders are happening all over....the awakening!
But there is sadly a falling away...as the Bible said their would be...the great apostasy....so we need to wake up, get stirred up, and start demonstrating His Word in Power and Truth.......He is pouring out His Fire on His called and chosen and restoring His church as He promised.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Heart2Soul,

If that is what you see then I praise God for it. Thank you for your kindness.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Heart2Soul