Interesting history

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh wow, brilliant. We have a university in Bolton and people come from all over the world to study here. We had a couple from Nepal who joined our church when Khim came over with his family to do his masters degree in business studies. And we had Vera from Nigeria and years ago Michael. It is lovely to meet Christians from other cultures.
PS: Years ago I remember someone from Lancashire Polytechnic; maybe this was the place that was given its charter as Bolton University?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
PS: Years ago I remember someone from Lancashire Polytechnic; maybe this was the place that was given its charter as Bolton University?
Two different places.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think Manchester - developed from Owen's College in the 19th century, right? - was traditionally Lancashire's premier university.

B

Butterfly

That is what I miss being here. :(

I love English history...and love the old building..castles, Stately homes.

I remember when I was younger using the public toilets over there in Hastings.
I kid you not they were no different from when they had been built in Victorian time. Probably state of the art back then.

The 'stalls' were each about as large as my bedroom at home!!! ....why?
To accommodate the huge Victorian crinolines !! :D

They pulled the old building down when I was about 22.

Pat/Pearl probably remembers as I do...a lady standing at a turnstile when we went to use these facilities...we had to give her a penny (one of the big old fashioned ones, before the common market changed our money) then she would allow us to go in .
All the big stations had a lady to take the money...and we called it "spending a penny" .. Charing Cross, Victoria , Paddington ..all very Victorian.

For me England has changed so much :(
I 'remember the turnstiles and ladies at the toilets at Brighton station - and using a penny !
They have automatic turnstiles now, and it costs 20p !!!

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I 'remember the turnstiles and ladies at the toilets at Brighton station - and using a penny !
Inflation.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think Manchester - developed from Owen's College in the 19th century, right? - was traditionally Lancashire's premier university.
No idea.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was struck by the unique, odd-looking Pavilion at Brighton, when I visited.

It was actually smaller than I expected, having previously seen it in pictures.

B

Butterfly

The royal pavilion, Prince regents palace - it still attracts a lot of interest from tourists
I catch the bus right outside of it when I go into the town centre. In winter they put up an ice rink in the grounds and open up a large cafe xx

Reactions: Pearl and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The royal pavilion, Prince regents palace - it still attracts a lot of interest from tourists
I catch the bus right outside of it when I go into the town centre. In winter they put up an ice rink in the grounds and open up a large cafe xx
Yes, it was the Prince Regent whose "pile" it originally was (some say, as a cover for his extra-curricular activities). The dome seems almost out of place in England, being more redolent of somewhere an Eastern potentate away in far flung Asia would have been found.

I remember within walking distance was a good bookstore and possibly tattoo/piercing places; don't know if they are still there.

There's also a huge Giles Gilbert Scott church building not far away, as I recall.

Reactions: Pearl
B

Butterfly

Yes, he use to come away for ' weekends by the sea ' !!!!
How long ago did you visit the town ?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hahaha!! Yet on here someone posted a video the other day ( in the Brexit thread) of men peeing into OPEN stalls in London where everyone can see!!!!

Strange world , double standards....eh.

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

Yes, it was the Prince Regent whose "pile" it originally was (some say, as a cover for his extra-curricular activities). The dome seems almost out of place in England, being more redolent of somewhere an Eastern potentate away in far flung Asia would have been found.

I remember within walking distance was a good bookstore and possibly tattoo/piercing places; don't know if they are still there.

There's also a huge Giles Gilbert Scott church building not far away, as I recall.
The church is a little way from the pavilion - but it is still there, I can see it from the Costa coffee shop I go to when I am waiting for my second bus on the way to work xx

Reactions: Helen and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, he use to come away for ' weekends by the sea ' !!!!
With alluring, glamorous company, no doubt.

In those days a lot of men were keen Protestants...but didn't somehow identify with the spiritual and moral claims of the Nazarene. Somehow this would probably describe the Prince Regent, too.

B

Butterfly

@Butterfly I would reckon I paid visits on foot to Downtown Brighton nearer 30 than 20 years ago.
Many of the shops have changed - some of the old cinemas have been knocked down, and they have developed the marina and are in the process of redeveloping the main town centre ( Churchill square )
But we still have the lanes , the dome, pavilion gardens , museum - all original buildings X
Rita

Reactions: farouk