Interesting history

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Many of the shops have changed - some of the old cinemas have been knocked down, and they have developed the marina and are in the process of redeveloping the main town centre ( Churchill square )
But we still have the lanes , the dome, pavilion gardens , museum - all original buildings X
Rita
I recall many young people using the restaurants and piercing/tattoo establishments near the Pavilion.

There used to be a pier that looked half demolished.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
With alluring, glamorous company, no doubt.

In those days a lot of men were keen Protestants...but didn't somehow identify with the spiritual and moral claims of the Nazarene. Somehow this would probably describe the Prince Regent, too.

It was his weakness yet he was a very good King ...not that he got to reign for very long, being old when he came to the throne.

B

Butterfly

I recall many young people using the restaurants and piercing/tattoo establishments near the Pavilion.

There used to be a pier that looked half demolished.
The tattoo parlours are further up nearer to Brighton station now
We have two piers, the palace pier is fine, the west pier was damaged by fire, then some years ago it recieved more damage - it is now just an empty shell, and not complete. There is a preservation group who want the council to spend loads of Monday to restore it - personally I think it should just be left as it really is unrepairable.
Rita

Reactions: farouk
B

Butterfly

It was his weakness yet he was a very good King ...not that he got to reign for very long, being old when he came to the throne.
Must admit I don't know much about him as King - not even sure we covered his reign at school !
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've heard so much about his extracurricular activities that the good things he did didn't seem to feature in what I read about him...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Butterfly

We heard this week that a Sheik has bought Hasting pier. And is spending millions to restore it. I forget how many times it been rebuilt or restored.

But I think Brighton take the prize for the most fires on a pier!!
Brighton must have had almost double digits for fires and rebuilds. :)

We has so many wonderful Saturday nights on Hastings, Eastbourne, and Brighton piers ....dancing the night away..

Reactions: Butterfly

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We have two piers, the palace pier is fine, the west pier was damaged by fire, then some years ago it recieved more damage - it is now just an empty shell, and not complete. There is a preservation group who want the council to spend loads of Monday to restore it - personally I think it should just be left as it really is unrepairable.
Rita
Yes, well it would make sense to have the tattoo parlors by the station now - probably in close proximity with one another - because so many people travel to Brighton with the tattoo establishments primarily in mind. Sounds like you would have been there much more recently than I have, so you would know the neighborhood better.

The pier did seem dilapidated and seemingly unrepairable; I can understand local politicians hesitating to do anything except demolish it.

B

Butterfly

@Butterfly

We heard this week that a Sheik has bought Hasting pier. And is spending millions to restore it. I forget how many times it been rebuilt or restored.

But I think Brighton take the prize for the most fires on a pier!!
Brighton must have had almost double digits for fires and rebuilds. :)

We has so many wonderful Saturday nights on Hastings, Eastbourne, and Brighton piers ....dancing the night away..
It's awhile since I have seen Hastings pier, we use to go there quite a bit as children. Did I tell you that my ex is a bus driver in Hastings, he lives there with his partner. Eastbourne, I went there a few years back, I think Brighton palace pier is by far the busiest and seems to have so much more on it- its mainly fun fair rides now - I am sure their use to be a theatre at the end !?
Rita

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've heard so much about his extracurricular activities that the good things he did didn't seem to feature in what I read about him...

That is always the same...

King Henry VIII is one too.

Always he is remembered for his wives etc...but he built the British Navy , he was a wonderful King.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Must admit I don't know much about him as King - not even sure we covered his reign at school !
Rita
Well, he was King only from 1820 to 1830, whereas his predecessor - from which period his title of Prince-Regent was derived - reigned from 1760 - 1820 and then of course, after William 1V's short reign, came the long reign of Victoria. So his reign is not exactly a footnote to English history, but still very much overshadowed by other monarchs.

B

Butterfly

Well, he was King only from 1820 to 1830, whereas his predecessor - from which period his title of Prince-Regent was derived - reigned from 1760 - 1820 and then of course, after William 1V's short reign, came the long reign of Victoria. So his reign is not exactly a footnote to English history, but still very much overshadowed by other monarchs.
I was never very interested in history - I know more about Victoria and HenryVIII !

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was never very interested in history - I know more about Victoria and HenryVIII !
Well, Victoria and Henry VIII were major figures as monarchs. So was George IV, but his fame for arty pursuits and for his extra-curricular activities became so well known that historically they seemed to eclipse his period as monarch.

B

Butterfly

@Pearl I think Blackpool would be the Lancashire 'equivalent' to Brighton, right?
Personally I think they are different. Blackpool has lovely sandy beaches , Brighton has pebbles ( horrible to walk on ! ) Blackpool has more fun fairs and amusement arcades, where as Brighton has historical landmarks and fewer arcades and amusement. Blackpool has donkey rides, we have the volks railway - Blackpool is bigger and has the illuminations -but they are both very popular places to go.
I went up to Blackpool with my mum once, we travelled over night on a coach - so we could see the illuminations X
Pearl, have you ever been to Brighton or Hastings ?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Personally I think they are different. Blackpool has lovely sandy beaches , Brighton has pebbles ( horrible to walk on ! ) Blackpool has more fun fairs and amusement arcades, where as Brighton has historical landmarks and fewer arcades and amusement. Blackpool has donkey rides, we have the volks railway - Blackpool is bigger and has the illuminations -but they are both very popular places to go.
I went up to Blackpool with my mum once, we travelled over night on a coach - so we could see the illuminations X
You are right; they are somewhat different in some ways. Seems like Southport near Blackpool would also fulfill for its area some of what Brighton also is, with its sought after residential areas.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I think Blackpool would be the Lancashire 'equivalent' to Brighton, right?
Right farouk, but Blackpool is very seedy these days. It became a Mecca for stag and hen parties and got very tacky. It take an hour from here to Blackpool but it isn't somewhere I've ever really liked. I prefer Southport or Conway in Wales both almost as near.
I was taken to Hastings once as a teen and remember the pebbles.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like Blackpool it is very seedy. Parts of the seafront are ok but it became a Mecca for tacky stag and hen parties and lowered the tone. I prefer Southport which is a lot smaller but more gentile and also Conway in Wales which has the wonderful castle. Blackpool is only an hour away but the other two are almost as close.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't like Blackpool it is very seedy. Parts of the seafront are ok but it became a Mecca for tacky stag and hen parties and lowered the tone. I prefer Southport which is a lot smaller but more gentile and also Conway in Wales which has the wonderful castle. Blackpool is only an hour away but the other two are almost as close.
I guess if alcohol licensing regulations in Blackpool were more strict, it would alter the character of the place considerably...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Rita
It's awhile since I have seen Hastings pier, we use to go there quite a bit as children. Did I tell you that my ex is a bus driver in Hastings, he lives there with his partner. Eastbourne, I went there a few years back, I think Brighton palace pier is by far the busiest and seems to have so much more on it- its mainly fun fair rides now - I am sure their use to be a theatre at the end !?
Rita

I think I read that Eastbourne pier had a fire, too, in recent years.

The old wooden structures are quite prone to being flammable. A bit like a lot of buildings on the Prairies; it's not unusual to hear of fires; and in fact in some places on the Prairies if a house is left derelict (often the houses are made of wood), the authorities will move in and demolish it.

I think Brighton was also the venue for a tattoo congress a while ago.