Interesting history

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Farouk and I highjacked another thread and have been sharing posts so we thought it would be best if we started a separate thread.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk and I highjacked another thread and have been sharing posts so we thought it would be best if we started a separate thread.
Great idea!

So didn't you say you were from the north of England?

Wars of the Roses country, Lancashire and Yorkshire, and so forth...still driven by the Middle Ages in some ways...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Great idea!

So didn't you say you were from the north of England?

Wars of the Roses country, Lancashire and Yorkshire, and so forth...still driven by the Middle Ages in some ways...
Yes Bolton is in Lancashire. Although for administrative purposes we come under Greater Manchester. My husband was born here and I moved here when we married.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes Bolton is in Lancashire. Although for administrative purposes we come under Greater Manchester. My husband was born here and I moved here when we married.
I think historically Manchester was part of Lancashire, even if not now under Lancashire County Council.

I haven't been there for many years.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think historically Manchester was part of Lancashire, even if not now under Lancashire County Council.

I haven't been there for many years.
Yes it was. Bolton people still consider themselves to be in Lancashire, which we are geographically but for admin purposes we come under Greater Manchester. You are very well informed farouk.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes it was. Bolton people still consider themselves to be in Lancashire, which we are geographically but for admin purposes we come under Greater Manchester. You are very well informed farouk.
I've been in the area but not for many years. I attended an event at UMIST many years ago.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in the area but not for many years. I attended an event at UMIST many years ago.
Oh wow, brilliant. We have a university in Bolton and people come from all over the world to study here. We had a couple from Nepal who joined our church when Khim came over with his family to do his masters degree in business studies. And we had Vera from Nigeria and years ago Michael. It is lovely to meet Christians from other cultures.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh wow, brilliant. We have a university in Bolton and people come from all over the world to study here. We had a couple from Nepal who joined our church when Khim came over with his family to do his masters degree in business studies. And we had Vera from Nigeria and years ago Michael. It is lovely to meet Christians from other cultures.
Sometimes channels of communication can be developed via foreign students which can last a lifetime.

Sounds like Bolton has become very cosmopolitan.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A model of Crompton's Spinning Mule.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A model of Crompton's Spinning Mule.
It's good for young ppl to learn how things ppl now take for granted came about by a long process of technological development. Lancashire in particular was at the heart of the industrial revolution.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl : Someone has said that the UK is from a North American perspective like a vast, open air museum. There is such a lot of absorbing historical sites...

Reactions: Dave L

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl : Someone has said that the UK is from a North American perspective like a vast, open air museum. There is such a lot of absorbing historical sites...
You can't get away from history in the UK but then every country has its own history. Also here in Bolton we have one of the oldest pubs in the country. It's called the Man and Scythe. A fitting name as it is where the Earl of Derby was kept prisoner before his execution by Oliver Cromwell's army.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You can't get away from history in the UK but then every country has its own history. Also here in Bolton we have one of the oldest pubs in the country. It's called the Man and Scythe. A fitting name as it is where the Earl of Derby was kept prisoner before his execution by Oliver Cromwell's army.
Charming...

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Charming...
It is not a very 'charming' pub. The regulars call it the Cider House and it gets quite a rough clientele. I've only been in a few times.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That is what I miss being here. :(

I love English history...and love the old building..castles, Stately homes.

I remember when I was younger using the public toilets over there in Hastings.
I kid you not they were no different from when they had been built in Victorian time. Probably state of the art back then.

The 'stalls' were each about as large as my bedroom at home!!! ....why?
To accommodate the huge Victorian crinolines !! :D

They pulled the old building down when I was about 22.

Pat/Pearl probably remembers as I do...a lady standing at a turnstile when we went to use these facilities...we had to give her a penny (one of the big old fashioned ones, before the common market changed our money) then she would allow us to go in .
All the big stations had a lady to take the money...and we called it "spending a penny" .. Charing Cross, Victoria , Paddington ..all very Victorian.

For me England has changed so much :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L and Nancy