Intolerance And Judgmentalism In A Christian Forum?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I really shudder as I feel like many people here would literally persecute others for their beliefs it were socially and/or legally acceptable. There is so much hostility. Am I the only one who feels that way?

In a forum - any forum - there are bound to be differences of opinions!!!

And some people are very passionate about their opinions!

So is it "socially and/or legally acceptable" to have an express them???

And we might add the question of whether doing so be to "literally persecute others"?

Look - if we are passionate about our opinion and another person also passionate about their opinion differs with our opinion, we might feel like that is persecution, but that is not persecution!! That is still just a difference of opinion! While there probably does need to be some rules as to how we write to others on this or any forum, but expressing an opinion is not the same thing as an act of persecution.

I bring this up because in general there are signs of this getting confused in our society! In the USA, according to our constitution, we have the freedom of speech. It is generally understood by our courts, that there are indeed some limits to what can be said about another person. There is something call defamation of character, and I copied a definition below.

Defamation is the oral or written communication of a false statement about another that unjustly harms their reputation and usually constitutes a tort or crime.

However the above definition involves making 'a false statement' which is not exactly an opinion, but sometimes the line get a bit blurred. Still, I don't see a lot of intentionally lying about the other person on this site. Perhaps offensive statements but offense is a matter of perspective which goes back to have a strong opinion and not an intentionally false statement that unjustly harms a reputation. If a person comes to a forum then they should expect that strong differing opinions might be expressed.

Which brings me to something we see today called "Cancel Culture", which is the eliminating someone for not thinking like we do. Now that starts becoming persecution!!!!

Religious persecution has a lot to do with "Cancel Culture" - that getting rid of someone because they have a different opinion!! That is and should be the exact opposite of what should happen on this forum especially!!! Of course this is a "Christian" forum but say a devote Catholic Christian has a strong negative opinion about someone with my opinions, who tends to like the Charismatic Protestant part of Christianity - that is Ok by me. I will try to point them to Jesus Christ and try to get them to listen to Him, because from my experience with Him it is listening to Him that is going to actually change their opinion. Yet even He has spent time talking to me about our selective hearing (even when it comes to listening to Him) So a person might not even be willing to listen to Him concerning their religious beliefs. Maybe He can use this forum to get someone to actually listen to Him as opposed to digging in their heals and getting offended at opposing views.

We read that His thoughts are not our thoughts - did we not? So He has an opposing view to ours!!!!!!!!!!

If you are easily offended - and there is something about taking offense to even Him - then are we really seeking Him like we should?

TOO OFTEN - that "feeling of persecution" is really just us taking offense to differing opinions!! Oh maybe someone didn't put it exactly right, but who does? Only Him, and we don't listen to Him like we should either - and isn't that our taking offense to Him?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a forum - any forum - there are bound to be differences of opinions

And some people are very passionate about their opinions!

True but I believe @BarnyFife's point is there is far too much disagreeableness when we disagree.

As my wife is fond of saying, it's not about religion but relationships. When I divorced my 1st wife, my family of origin was so against it, we no longer talk. Their passion for their opinions stepped out of bounds, into foolish efforts to control how I live my life. They are content to condemn me to total estrangement. This is not love.

We should be the ones the world looks to to disagree agreeably.

Reactions: Rita and BarneyFife

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know since becoming a mod I have come to see that often things are being done that you don’t see , so you think the mods are not doing something when in fact they are, but there are rules to follow and guidelines to take into account……….also it depends on whether posts are reported, but then again all reports are assessed, but you cannot see that all the time…….
Someone’s words may be harsh and not liked, but often as not the person is not breaking the rules as such….
I get frustrated as well as I think many on here are rude, abrupt and insulting, and certainly do not show Christian love to one another, but I have a lot more respect for the mods now that I have seen the other side xxx

Kudos to you my sweet sister! I'm sure there are many things you are finding out now that were not so clear before.
I personally have not a single problem with any of the Admin/Mods on here. It cannot be an easy job, for sure!
xo

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not tolerance of what they believe, tolerance for their abusive, irrational, and insulting demeanor.

I suppose here is where I should jump in because these are the two instances where I can get aggressive.

We had a new member last week who is/was a Gnostic, and was recommending to a sister she investigate into it and keep an open mind. I had to come down on that. I mean, anyone who knows what the religion is knows it's essentially Christianity transformed into a sorcery-practicing sex religion; Satanism with a "Christian" veneer. His posts left little to doubt that. In one thread he was advocating that Paul's encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus was actually with "Lucifer, the Light-bringer." I think in such instances I am not in disobedience to the Spirit of God to warn the sister NOT to take advice from such a person, or investigate into his views. I told her that religion is demonically-inspired and has been since its inception. I don't particularly care who thinks I should be tolerant there. As I view it, better to try and protect what I believe is a seeking soul from a genuine spiritual predator.

That said, I don't tolerate insulting behavior all the time either. There comes a time when a line should be drawn there as well. It was not condoned in scripture, nor tolerated. Rather it was corrected. Granted, I have to control my anger when I do so, but in keeping with the command, I don't let the sun go down on my anger. But I feel I am still in good company even in becoming irritated with people sometimes, as Jesus Himself became angry with others on occasion as well (Mark 3:1-6).

I do agree, however, that we shouldn't be set off by the slightest things. There were many times when the Pharisees tempted the Lord to anger, and He just turned and walked away.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You know since becoming a mod I have come to see that often things are being done that you don’t see , so you think the mods are not doing something when in fact they are, but there are rules to follow and guidelines to take into account……….also it depends on whether posts are reported, but then again all reports are assessed, but you cannot see that all the time…….
Someone’s words may be harsh and not liked, but often as not the person is not breaking the rules as such….
I get frustrated as well as I think many on here are rude, abrupt and insulting, and certainly do not show Christian love to one another, but I have a lot more respect for the mods now that I have seen the other side xxx
Hi @Rita Adding multiculturalism to the mix - which can greatly affect what some may think is suitable or not suitable - and the end result is very complex sometimes.... :)

Reactions: Rita

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The religion of tolerance. The only rules are to tolerate everyone except Christians.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had a new member last week who is/was a Gnostic, and was recommending to a sister she investigate into it and keep an open mind. I had to come down on that. I mean, anyone who knows what the religion is knows it's essentially Christianity transformed into a sorcery-practicing sex religion; Satanism with a "Christian" veneer. His posts left little to doubt that. In one thread he was advocating that Paul's encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus was actually with "Lucifer, the Light-bringer." I think in such instances I am not in disobedience to the Spirit of God to warn the sister NOT to take advice from such a person, or investigate into his views. I told her that religion is demonically-inspired and has been since its inception. I don't particularly care who thinks I should be tolerant there. As I view it, better to try and protect what I believe is a seeking soul from a genuine spiritual predator.
FWIW, you're not anywhere on my bully radar, HIH. :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I so appreciate all the responses to the OP, but I'm afraid many folks missed my point. I'm often not clear enough. My concern is that the devil is recruiting and training many of us to be real persecutors in the future when things really start to heat up right before the 2nd Coming. I know a lot of folks don't subscribe to that doctrine, but I gotta go with what I know.
:)
Ephesians 6:12 Parallel: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

John 16:2 Parallel: They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The religion of tolerance. The only rules are to tolerate everyone except Christians.
God tolerates our sin constantly, night and day. Counterfeit philosophies don't make the genuine any less valid. :)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I so appreciate all the responses to the OP, but I'm afraid many folks missed my point. I'm often not clear enough. My concern is that the devil is recruiting and training many of us to be real persecutors in the future when things really start to heat up right before the 2nd Coming. I know a lot of folks don't subscribe to that doctrine, but I gotta go with what I know.
Ephesians 6:12 Parallel: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

John 16:2 Parallel: They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

A false awakening? When people's eyes are opened to the evils of athiest communism only to leep into the arms of false religion. One not based on the saving grace of Jesus Christ, liberal Christianity as I call it, that tries to be all inclusive. Yea I am concerned that might happen and be the fulfillment what is written in revelation.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think given sufficient opportunity people tend to reveal themselves. I don't know whether some are becoming persecutors, but I've seen a number who don't mind sharing their negative opinions of others, and who seem to have a lot of those.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FWIW, you're not anywhere on my bully radar, HIH. :)

Glad to hear it, LoL : )

I'd distinguish here between persecutors and merely apologists who oppose false theologies. That said, I do think Catholicism could indeed be slowly marching toward the day when they (and eventually most of the mainline Christian denominations with them) again persecute Protestant Christians to their deaths. But I consider that a different matter, and still a long ways off.

In the meantime, the battle has always been over truth verses lies, and can't really be stopped one way or another. It will go on. But Ephesians 6:12 is excellent to remember in this context. I think just as we should have our feet shod with the gospel of peace and always be ready to share it with those who give us the opportunity, so too should we be always ready to discuss doctrine together peaceably, not always expecting that it will become some ugly confrontation. I was discussing the Deity of Christ with Tigger 2 elsewhere recently, and found him to be a very pleasant conversationalist, in spite of the fact that I completely disagree with him. Same with some of the SDAs here like yourself. I fully disagree with doctrines like soul sleep, but it doesn't stop me from debating the issue peaceably as long as someone can discuss it peaceably with me. And even if I confront someone point blank like I had to with the Gnostic, it's not a rejection of the man. It's simply setting the record straight that I think it's a dangerous heresy to subscribe to, not just for others but for him as well.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Glad to hear it, LoL : )

I'd distinguish here between persecutors and merely apologists who oppose false theologies. That said, I do think Catholicism could indeed be slowly marching toward the day when they (and eventually most of the mainline Christian denominations with them) again persecute Protestant Christians to their deaths. But I consider that a different matter, and still a long ways off.

In the meantime, the battle has always been over truth verses lies, and can't really be stopped one way or another. It will go on. But Ephesians 6:12 is excellent to remember in this context. I think just as we should have our feet shod with the gospel of peace and always be ready to share it with those who give us the opportunity, so too should we be always ready to discuss doctrine together peaceably, not always expecting that it will become some ugly confrontation. I was discussing the Deity of Christ with Tigger 2 elsewhere recently, and found him to be a very pleasant conversationalist, in spite of the fact that I completely disagree with him. Same with some of the SDAs here like yourself. I fully disagree with doctrines like soul sleep, but it doesn't stop me from debating the issue peaceably as long as someone can discuss it peaceably with me. And even if I confront someone point blank like I had to with the Gnostic, it's not a rejection of the man. It's simply setting the record straight that I think it's a dangerous heresy to subscribe to, not just for others but for him as well.
I don't know...from that avatar, he looks like he could be a really big bully, Billy! Lol

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree that there is an assault on the truth and a gentle, yet firm stand needs to be taken. We are in an ongoing battle, whether we want to admit it or not.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know...from that avatar, he looks like he could be a really big bully, Billy! Lol

He's simply, shall we say, "on guard." Call it a harmless defense mechanism.

funny-pictures-cat-making-a-mess-with-paper-towels.jpg

Reactions: Nancy and Truman

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that there is an assault on the truth and a gentle, yet firm stand needs to be taken. We are in an ongoing battle, whether we want to admit it or not.
I think it was Alister Begg I was listening to the other day, he said the Christian life is best described as "Warfare".

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think it was Alister Begg I was listening to the other day, he said the Christian life is best described as "Warfare".

Much love!
In the spirit realm. Where our spirit-man dwells.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You know, I really don't like that you complain about people's complaints, and I really think you should stop!

Much love!
We painted our house orange and got criticised. The paint we used was actually called "Orange Critic". I never get tired of telling critics what the paint is called. Shuts them up promptly.

Reactions: marks and Truman