Is belief in the Trinity necessary for salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have the true Christ, you would agree with the Church throughout history and not be labeled a heretic by them and the AOG who threw you out of their Church in the 1900s.
Not necessarily.

Did Paul the apostle have the true Christ?

Yet, he was labeled as a heretic by people who claimed to have faith in the Lord God (Acts 24:14 (kjv)).

People in church history who have labeled similar doctrine to what I believe as heresy were not necessarily true Christians. They were in charge of what was at that time the Catholic Church; and this speaks volumes about whether they were truly born again or not.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were so easy why did the early church call it a mystery? If it were so easy to understand why could not anyone express it in any way they themselves could understand, or teach it to others in any way any one else could understand?
The apostle John I thought was able to define who we need to believe in quite adequately. I think if we followed his lead, we can't go wrong.
KJV 1 John 1
3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
KJV 1 John 2
22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
KJV 1 John 3
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
KJV 1 John 4
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
KJV 1 John 5
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

I see nothing in the above that says we should believe in some formula devised by the church to describe or define the Godhead.
Non Trinity is a different god.

Reactions: justbyfaith

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were so easy why did the early church call it a mystery? If it were so easy to understand why could not anyone express it in any way they themselves could understand, or teach it to others in any way any one else could understand?
I easy term, not definition.

D

Dave L

Not necessarily.

Did Paul the apostle have the true Christ?

Yet, he was labeled as a heretic by people who claimed to have faith in the Lord God (Acts 24:14 (kjv)).

People in church history who have labeled similar doctrine to what I believe as heresy were not necessarily true Christians. They were in charge of what was at that time the Catholic Church; and this speaks volumes about whether they were truly born again or not.
But you do not worship the same Christ as Paul, or the Church which is his body.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you do not worship the same Christ as Paul, or the Church which is his body.
I do indeed worship the Christ that is testified to in the Holy Bible; and therefore the Christ which is worshiped by His true church. Definitely the same Christ as who Paul the apostle worshiped.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people dont want to know the truth because they are so brainwashed by their tradition.

New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 13, p. 1021 -- The first use of the Latin word "trinitas" (trinity) with reference to God, is found in Tertulian's writings (about 213 A.D.) He was the first to use the term "persons" (plural) in a Trinitarian context.

Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 -- The word "Trinity" is not in Scripture. The term "persons" (plural) is not applied in Scripture to the Trinity.

World Book Encyclopedia, 1984 Edition, Vol. T, p. 363 -- Belief in Father, Son and Holy Ghost was first defined by the earliest general council of churches. This was the First Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D.

New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 22 p. 476 -- The Catholic faith is this; We worship one God in Trinity, but there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal -- the Majesty co-eternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took over the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination.

Life Magazine, October 30, 1950, Vol. 29, No. 18, p. 51 -- The Catholics made this statement concerning their doctrine of the Trinity, to defend the dogma of the assumption of Mary, in an article written by Graham Greene: "Our opponents sometimes claim that no belief should be held dogmatically which is not explicitly stated in Scripture ... But the PROTESTANT CHURCHES have themselves accepted such dogmas as THE TRINITY, for which there is NO SUCH PRECISE AUTHORITY In the Gospels."

Jesus is not God.

John 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; 6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Jesus didn't know the divine mystery. If Jesus had been God, John 4:22 would have been a lie, and God can not lie.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The trinity doctrine contradicts those verses. That is why churches that teach the trinity discourage studying the bible, declaring that church tradition is of higher authority than the word of God.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

You can check for yourself: everything God does, He does by speaking it. So verse 1 has no confusion until trinity believers inject it there.

What is a word? We have the spoken word, but that is not God. We have the written word, but that is not God. We have the word made flesh, so by what authority do you take that word out of context and declare that is God when the other two are not?

Verse 3 contains a pronoun, him. A pronoun refers to the last preceding qualified noun, and that is God. The bible uses many names for God, but it is never so sloppy to say one name when it means another. Adonai is my shepherd, not YHVH. YHVH gave the law, not elohim. Elohim is the creator, not Jesus.

Genesis 3:15 King James Version (KJV)
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

"It", get it? The savior didn't even have a name until after "it" was born.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is not God.

He is (John 8:58, John 8:59, John 10:31-33, John 8:24, Exodus 3:14).

Jesus didn't know the divine mystery. If Jesus had been God, John 4:22 would have been a lie, and God can not lie.

Sorry I just don't see it. How would John 4:22 be a lie if Jesus is God?

And Jesus, being God, could not have not known the divine mystery.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The trinity doctrine contradicts those verses.

How so?

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

You can check for yourself: everything God does, He does by speaking it. So verse 1 has no confusion until trinity believers inject it there.

What is a word? We have the spoken word, but that is not God. We have the written word, but that is not God. We have the word made flesh, so by what authority do you take that word out of context and declare that is God when the other two are not?

I think that you have simply glossed over what I emphasize in your words above.
I would also suggest that you read the following thread:

Trinity vs. Tritheism: Understanding the Trinity.

Reactions: Hisman