Is Calvinism a Cult?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Calvinism a cult?

• Total voters

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God is always Just, merciful, jealous for us!
Yes, there are some scriptures that could support the Cal. view, but then there are many more (IMO) that do not support it. I used to walk around in the 90's thinking I was just a vessel created unto dishonor because I did not "feel" anything tangible inside me change. I had read something on Calvinism and that just intensified those thoughts. Over many years, God was always in the forefront of my mind and I had such a hard time trying to wrap my mind around TULIP!!! Although. I do believe in once saved always saved.
Funny thing is that, when I came back to a church and spoke with the Pastor after attending a few services...of which I enjoyed (and still do), he said he was a Calvinist...my heart dropped but, I was not going to let my thoughts about it interfere with my own growth...he does NOT teach on it though..hmmm.
I believe that anybody who diligently seeks His face will be rewarded and-find Him! My pastor does not believe we have free will to "choose this day whom you will serve" He calls that a work of the flesh! I love my pastor,him and I will never agree on some things but, we agree to disagree and he gives a great sermon so, all is good. Thank you for your input Stranger and have a great day!
-nancy

Enjoyed your comments. And you have a good day also.

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think you will EVER hear a Calvinist entertain the notion that THEY just might be one of the unfortunate ones who weren't "chosen?" (It ain't gonna happen.)

If the Calvinist has believed on Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour, then they are chosen. Just like anyone else who believes on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, they are chosen. So why should they think otherwise when it isn't true?

Are you arrogant in believing you are a Christian and are saved? Are you self centered in believing you are a Christian and are saved?

Stranger

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it more than you think. Sword you cannot say you weren't looking for a comparison match and then tell me you don't understand why I am reluctant to share what I am doing.

I don't share what I am doing because I understand the first half of Mat 6. I am not going to share what I give, what I pray about or who I help. I would appreciate the thumbs up from my fellow Christians, but I would rather have God's acknowledgement.

Testimonies? Talking about doctrine? I am not against that and they can be shared.

So... I don't like to see backbiting, harsh conversations, belittling others and so forth. Ive documented what I see in the conversation. He Brother Jason came in like a lion and you treated him as such. Normally I ignore such stuff but in a moment of weakness I commented.

"Ize tired boss! Ize tired of people being ugly ta one anotha!" (From The Green Mile)

So, yea... Never should've gotten involved. I apologize for that. If you two want to lob grenades at each other... Go ahead. I'm out...

OTOH, I don't see the whole Calvinism debate as unworthwhile. I see discussing its truths and it's errors as important.

Very well written. Not one thing I disagree with.

Reactions: FHII

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some Calvinists are cult like, such as Matt Slick, but not all Calvinists are cultish.
Calvinism is a heresy, but Calvinists are not heretics.

There is lots of material on Matt Slick here, but the thread is locked.
MATT SLICK EXPOSED

Last edited by a moderator:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, you must realize the Biblical support it has.
Actually the Calvinistic doctrine of election has zero biblical support. What it says in essence is that God elects some for salvation and others (the majority) for damnation. That is certainly not a Bible doctrine.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I abstain from voting... So much depends on how you define 'cult'

Who are you to pass judgment on someone else's servant? Before his own master he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Calvinistic doctrine of election has zero biblical support. What it says in essence is that God elects some for salvation and others (the majority) for damnation. That is certainly not a Bible doctrine.

That is a simplistic description. And the doctrine of election is certainly a Biblical doctrine.

That the believers are chosen is clear. (Eph. 1:4). So how do you interpret 'chosen'?

Quantrill

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That the believers are chosen is clear. (Eph. 1:4). So how do you interpret 'chosen'?
"Chosen", "elect" or "predestined" to be conformed to the image of His Son. The apostle John says "we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is" (which is perfect, glorious, and glorified).

Christians are "elect according to the foreknowledge of God", not saved according to the decree of God. God knows from the very beginning who will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and who will be saved. For all who are saved, His plan is their ultimate perfection and glorification.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Rom 8:29,30).

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Chosen", "elect" or "predestined" to be conformed to the image of His Son. The apostle John says "we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is" (which is perfect, glorious, and glorified).

Christians are "elect according to the foreknowledge of God", not saved according to the decree of God. God knows from the very beginning who will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and who will be saved. For all who are saved, His plan is their ultimate perfection and glorification.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Rom 8:29,30).

I asked you how you interpret 'chosen' in (Eph. 1:4). You give me other words such as 'predestinate', and 'foreknow'. They too need to be understood. But they are not all the same word.

So again, how do you interpret 'chosen'?

Stranger

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I asked you how you interpret 'chosen' in (Eph. 1:4).
So again, how do you interpret 'chosen'?
"Chosen" is elect, but not chosen for salvation or damnation.

Already addressed what "chosen" means.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Chosen" is elect, but not chosen for salvation or damnation.

Already addressed what "chosen" means.

Well, I already many times have addressed it also. So? What does 'chosen' mean?

Stranger

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Predestination is cultic and heretical, unless it is defined as being due to God's foreknowledge, in who would do what.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like the Unorthodox Doctrine Forum seems like a good place for this discussion. So, I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that Calvinists having the mindset that Calvinism is the gospel, that only Calvinists have the real Jesus, and that only Calvinists are true Christians would constitute a cult-like mindset for those that have it?

For example, here is a list of quotes from Calvinists who seem to me to profess such a cult-like view of their Calvinism:

Maurice Roberts, on the back-cover of The Potter’s Freedom, by James White, wrote, “In a manner reminiscent of Luther demolishing Erasmus, James White grinds the Semi-Pelagianism of Dr. Geisler to fine powder, not in the spirit of triumphalism, but knowing that all Arminianism is as hostile to the true gospel as it is friendly to a reviving Roman Catholicism.”

The description on the back-cover of The Potter’s Freedom says, “This book is written as a reply to Dr. Geisler, but it is much more: it is a defense of the very principles upon which the Protestant Reformation was founded. Indeed, it is a defense of the very gospel itself!”

Arthur Custance said, “It is questionable whether a dogmatic theology which is not Calvinistic is truly Christian.”

He also said, “Calvinism is the Gospel and to teach Calvinism is in fact to preach the Gospel.”

Kenneth Talbot and W. Gary Crampton said, “any compromise of Calvinism is a step towards humanism.”

They also said, “The apostolic doctrine was that of Reformed Theology.”

Loraine Boettner said, “There is no consistent stopping place between Calvinism and atheism.”

and, “The doctrine that men are saved only through the unmerited love and grace of God finds its full and honest expression only in the doctrines of Calvinism.”

William Cunningham said, “Calvinism is just the full exposition of and development of the sum and substance of what is represented in Scripture as done for the salvation of sinners by the three persons of the Godhead.”

David Engelsma said, “Calvinism is the Gospel. Its outstanding doctrines are simply the truths that make up the Gospel.”

Charles Spurgeon has said many funny things about Calvinism, such as, “It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, nothing else.”

and, “There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is called Calvinism.”

and, “The longer I live the clearer does it appear that John Calvin’s system is the nearest to perfection.”

Rienk Kuiper said, “It is my firm conviction that the only theology contained in the Bible is the Reformed theology.”

R. K. McGregor Wright said, “Arminianism thought is best understood historically, as a compromise of the Reformation gospel with the humanistic motif of the autonomy of the human consciousness flowing out of the ancient pagan learning that had just been rediscovered in the Renaissance.”

Alexander Leighton said this about Arminianism, “The last and greatest monster of the man of sin; the elixir of Anti-Christianism.”

William MacLean wrote in his book Arminianism: Another Gospel, “Arminianism is the very essence of Popery.” Not potpourri, but Popery, as in the Pope.

He also wrote that Arminianism “appears as the gospel of Christ, but in reality is ‘another gospel.’”

Duane Spencer said that “Arminianism is but a refinement of Pelegianism.”

Grover Gunn said, “Arminianism teaches salvation mostly of grace but not all of grace.”

Edwin Palmer said, “I believe some Arminians may be born-again Christians.” How gracious of Mr. Palmer.

According to Milburn Cockrell, “The Christ of Arminianism is not the Christ of the New Testament.”

He also claims that “Christ and His apostles” were Calvinists!

Joseph Wilson said that “no one has ever been or ever will be saved in the way taught by Arminianism.”

I'm honestly not trying to insult or offend any Calvinists (at least, not right now). I'm just wondering if other people see this as a cult-like mindset, or if they think it's perfectly orthodox and acceptable to view your own theological brethren as the only true Christians. Thanks. :p

I have never read anything on or about Calvinism, so I will ask one question before I vote!! Is Calvinism a Denomination???
PS Welcome to the Forum!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have never read anything on or about Calvinism, so I will ask one question before I vote!! Is Calvinism a Denomination???
No. Calvinism per se is not a denomination but a false interpretation of the Gospel. The Reformed Churches are the denominations which adhere to this doctrine. So Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Reformed Churches are the denominations.

You will find Reformed Theology summarized in the Westminster Confession of Faith, or the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith (almost identical).

But Calvinism is summed up in the acronym TULIP, and here is what is means:
T = Total Depravity
U = Unconditional Election
L = Limited Atonement
I = Irresistible Grace
P = Perseverance of the Saints

This is like a set of dominoes. If one falls then all of them fall. So if find that Scripture teaches UNLIMITED ATONEMENT (that Christ died for the sins of the whole world, not merely for the *elect*), then TULIP is rendered null and void.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Calvinism per se is not a denomination but a false interpretation of the Gospel. The Reformed Churches are the denominations which adhere to this doctrine. So Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Reformed Churches are the denominations.

You will find Reformed Theology summarized in the Westminster Confession of Faith, or the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith (almost identical).

But Calvinism is summed up in the acronym TULIP, and here is what is means:
T = Total Depravity
U = Unconditional Election
L = Limited Atonement
I = Irresistible Grace
P = Perseverance of the Saints

This is like a set of dominoes. If one falls then all of them fall. So if find that Scripture teaches UNLIMITED ATONEMENT (that Christ died for the sins of the whole world, not merely for the *elect*), then TULIP is rendered null and void.

Sorry to say but all I read and try to understand is the Bible, I seldom read any book's with the exception of book's on Pagan deities, as to try to understand how they influence Christianity today! BUT ! Thank You for the crash course.

D

Dave L

I feel like the Unorthodox Doctrine Forum seems like a good place for this discussion. So, I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that Calvinists having the mindset that Calvinism is the gospel, that only Calvinists have the real Jesus, and that only Calvinists are true Christians would constitute a cult-like mindset for those that have it?

For example, here is a list of quotes from Calvinists who seem to me to profess such a cult-like view of their Calvinism:

Maurice Roberts, on the back-cover of The Potter’s Freedom, by James White, wrote, “In a manner reminiscent of Luther demolishing Erasmus, James White grinds the Semi-Pelagianism of Dr. Geisler to fine powder, not in the spirit of triumphalism, but knowing that all Arminianism is as hostile to the true gospel as it is friendly to a reviving Roman Catholicism.”

The description on the back-cover of The Potter’s Freedom says, “This book is written as a reply to Dr. Geisler, but it is much more: it is a defense of the very principles upon which the Protestant Reformation was founded. Indeed, it is a defense of the very gospel itself!”

Arthur Custance said, “It is questionable whether a dogmatic theology which is not Calvinistic is truly Christian.”

He also said, “Calvinism is the Gospel and to teach Calvinism is in fact to preach the Gospel.”

Kenneth Talbot and W. Gary Crampton said, “any compromise of Calvinism is a step towards humanism.”

They also said, “The apostolic doctrine was that of Reformed Theology.”

Loraine Boettner said, “There is no consistent stopping place between Calvinism and atheism.”

and, “The doctrine that men are saved only through the unmerited love and grace of God finds its full and honest expression only in the doctrines of Calvinism.”

William Cunningham said, “Calvinism is just the full exposition of and development of the sum and substance of what is represented in Scripture as done for the salvation of sinners by the three persons of the Godhead.”

David Engelsma said, “Calvinism is the Gospel. Its outstanding doctrines are simply the truths that make up the Gospel.”

Charles Spurgeon has said many funny things about Calvinism, such as, “It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, nothing else.”

and, “There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is called Calvinism.”

and, “The longer I live the clearer does it appear that John Calvin’s system is the nearest to perfection.”

Rienk Kuiper said, “It is my firm conviction that the only theology contained in the Bible is the Reformed theology.”

R. K. McGregor Wright said, “Arminianism thought is best understood historically, as a compromise of the Reformation gospel with the humanistic motif of the autonomy of the human consciousness flowing out of the ancient pagan learning that had just been rediscovered in the Renaissance.”

Alexander Leighton said this about Arminianism, “The last and greatest monster of the man of sin; the elixir of Anti-Christianism.”

William MacLean wrote in his book Arminianism: Another Gospel, “Arminianism is the very essence of Popery.” Not potpourri, but Popery, as in the Pope.

He also wrote that Arminianism “appears as the gospel of Christ, but in reality is ‘another gospel.’”

Duane Spencer said that “Arminianism is but a refinement of Pelegianism.”

Grover Gunn said, “Arminianism teaches salvation mostly of grace but not all of grace.”

Edwin Palmer said, “I believe some Arminians may be born-again Christians.” How gracious of Mr. Palmer.

According to Milburn Cockrell, “The Christ of Arminianism is not the Christ of the New Testament.”

He also claims that “Christ and His apostles” were Calvinists!

Joseph Wilson said that “no one has ever been or ever will be saved in the way taught by Arminianism.”

I'm honestly not trying to insult or offend any Calvinists (at least, not right now). I'm just wondering if other people see this as a cult-like mindset, or if they think it's perfectly orthodox and acceptable to view your own theological brethren as the only true Christians. Thanks. :p
I think Arminians and Calvinists all end up on the same page. Here's why: Jesus says "whosoever believes has eternal life". And the Arminian says you must choose to believe. But one must believe before he/she chooses to believe, or they would not choose to believe. The Calvinist also who sees the word and sacraments as a means of grace, must already believe before they choose to embrace the means of grace.

The misconception both face is when they turn the gospel into law, and see it as an offer to whomsoever will obey. But the gospel is simply an announcement that whosoever believes has eternal life.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I think Arminians and Calvinists all end up on the same page. Here's why: Jesus says "whosoever believes has eternal life". And the Arminian says you must choose to believe. But one must believe before he/she chooses to believe, or they would not choose to believe. The Calvinist also who sees the word and sacraments as a means of grace, must already believe before they choose to embrace the means of grace.

The misconception both face is when they turn the gospel into law, and see it as an offer to whomsoever will obey. But the gospel is simply an announcement that whosoever believes has eternal life.
Whosoever believes what?
Can I believe and not obey?
Does the word believe imply obedience?

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say but all I read and try to understand is the Bible, I seldom read any book's with the exception of book's on Pagan deities, as to try to understand how they influence Christianity today! BUT ! Thank You for the crash course.
In my book, Calvinists follow a man. John Calvin.

Reactions: Truth
D

Dave L

Whosoever believes what?
Can I believe and not obey?
Does the word believe imply obedience?
The one who believes in the Son has eternal life. The one who rejects the Son will not see life, but God’s wrath remains on him.” (John 3:36)

Here's the catch, if you believe, repent, be baptized and lead a holy life.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I haven't voted yet and don't know how I will. But I want to put forth 2 points:

1. What exactly is a "cult"? According to Merriam Webster:

1. : formal religious veneration : worship
  2. a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
  3. a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious
  4. great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book) criticizing how the media promotes
  5. a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion.
So often we see "cult" as a term associated with evil, brainwashed, and dangerous. Yet the only "possible" negative definition is the notion that it is unorthodox. Frankly, I don't even see that as bad. By some of these definitions Christianity is a cult.

2. I actually have read John Calvin's work. In short... He wasn't a Calvinist himself.

So often his name is accociated with TULIP (not his invention) and predestination. He wrote a mere 3 chapters in one of his books (and he wrote dozens, most of which are pretty long) on the topic. He also often contradicted himself at times (or at least that is my perception).

My point is that those who speak of Calvinism (pro or con) aren't getting the philosophies from him; or if they are, its a process of cherry-picking what he wrote.

I tend to get upset when folks talk about "calvinism" because of that... Yet, I don't argue too long about it. Its like trying to expain what a cult really is. Both are too far gone into the accepted opinions of the masses to change it. But... Like now, I can bring it to light.

For the record... I like his writing style and he has some great points. He was however, a despicable person.
I agree with you on everything. Nice to see this...
He was definitely not a , let's say, nice person.
He did, however, write some good commentary that we could all agree on if we could forget that he believed God chose who would be saved.

Reactions: FHII and Nancy