Is Drinking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I have an opinion about a matter of personal judgment and practice as a Christian, that Scripture does not plainly confirm, and then tell you that it is best for you to do the same, so that we can be loving people, and not doing them harm together...what would you say.
Well, after reading this a couple of times it looks like you're in line with Paul's counsel about disputable matters. And surely you agree the consumption of alcohol, in and of itself, apart from drunkenness, is not one of those matters, because it is not prohibited in scripture. It's misuse is. The exercise of that liberty is what is open for discussion. I'm with Paul and say it is best for us to keep our liberty regarding alcohol a secret. Later, when I have time I will share my experience with this matter of Christian liberty regarding alcohol and the bold assertion of that liberty.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard a preacher say one time that drugs and alcohol is used by people who do not have the Holy Spirit in their life....the euphoria they get is like a replacement for the "high" one experiences when in His presence.
Now I am not saying this is accurate but I can say when I am walking with Him I don't want the other stuff....when I had backslidden in the past I wanted to drink.
In any case, the question is....
WHY are you drinking?
That is not the question: the question is drinking being a sin or not.

And being on topic:

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. (Rom 14)

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days. (Col 2)

These two Scripture alone establish plainly that drinking wine is as eating meat, and neither is sin with God, which no man is to judge another in by making a law against it.

Another matter entirely is the weaker and the stronger continuing in brotherly love: Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Rom 14)

Neither eating nor drinking is sin in itself. That is a settled matter with God.

And so, your question again: Why do I drink?

Why not? I obviously am not you. Before I was saved, I was a drunkard and chain smoker. Now I drink and smoke at will, if I want to, and I know how to not drink and smoke, if I don't want to, or if I choose not to due to present company and circumstance.

'Strong' Christianity is not the weak challenging nor demanding others to be the same as they. Strong Christianity is being able to partake of all things richly to enjoy, and to have power over all things, rather than they having power over us by lust corrupting and destroying all things:

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. (1 Cor 6)

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy. (1 Tim 6)

Now a question for you:

Did you blame the drink or the lust during your return to sin?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a dumb argument because you are essentially saying to exclude all things from this matter of being considerate of other people simply because you say there are so many things to be considerate of! That's not a good reason to discard Paul's Romans 14 counsel.

No that is not what I am saying.
I am saying you should be considerate....within reason. If I know for a fact that someone has an issue I will adjust my behavior.
But no I am not going to accommodate all the issues of the world.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I heard a preacher say one time that drugs and alcohol is used by people who do not have the Holy Spirit in their life....the euphoria they get is like a replacement for the "high" one experiences when in His presence."

And I will show you a preacher who uses human reasoning for ministry of Christ, rather than Scripture only, and is high on his own experience in ministry.

I would sooner hear a Holy Ghost preaching good old fashioned holiness preacher tell me drinking alcohol is of the devil, than the dribble of pompous pulpiteers with pseudo psycho-Christianity, who have no clue what they are talking about.

The former, I can just drink in the good stuff of Scripture during the preaching, while letting the junk fall by the wayside, but the latter makes me want to vomit out the insult to adult intelligence, put out for righteousness of God.

Oh, and by the way. I do go where the holiness preacher is preaching and gladly give in the offerings, being blessed thereby, because he doesn't allow his own holiness standards to control everything he says.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No that is not what I am saying.
I am saying you should be considerate....within reason. If I know for a fact that someone has an issue I will adjust my behavior.
But no I am not going to accommodate all the issues of the world.
Alcohol is a big issue these days. It's well within reason.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol is a big issue these days. It's well within reason.
I agree and if I know someone has an issue I will not drink in front of them.
But I am not going to stop drinking because there are people in the world that have issues.
Like I said that concept is faulty because it can put you in a closet.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I know for a fact that someone has an issue I will adjust my behavior.
I think you'd be surprised where these issues are hiding among people. Substance abuse and sexual issues are very prevalent in society and in the church today. I made the mistake of underestimating, and misjudging, in whom these issues may be lurking. I was in a situation where I should have just kept my big mouth shut and done what Paul said and kept the matter of my Christian liberty to myself!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I am not going to stop drinking because there are people in the world that have issues.
You don't have to stop drinking! Just do it privately. Paul says you are acting in love when you do that. Christian liberty always takes a back seat to love for others.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exercise your freedom in secret so that what you consider good won't be spoken of as evil. That preserves your liberty to drink while keeping others safe from your freedom being misunderstood and potentially causing another person's harm.
Other than the 'in secret' and 'potentially' tags, I would agree.

There is no 'potentially' offending another of weak conscience: the condemnation is of despising the weak, not just happening to be around one that you know not of.

I.e. We would have to be purposely confronting the weak with our liberty in order to be guilty of causing them harm.

The 'in secret' and 'potential' stuff is human thinking, not Scriptural sense. That is as hiding in shame, and worrying all the time about who may or may not potentially be around.

That kind of imprisoned 'liberty' and worrisome fear in public is what Paul said would require leaving the world to accomplish. (1 Cor 5:10)

Or invest in some Qumran type caves in the wilderness.

Adult bottom line: you keep your safety rules, and I keep my liberty in Christ, and neither of us will wound nor judge another.

Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Rom 14)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not the question: the question is drinking being a sin or not.
It isn't a sin until you make it your idol in life....your go to source when things get tough....separating yourself from God....
Again the question is WHY are you drinking.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you'd be surprised where these issues are hiding among people. Substance abuse and sexual issues are very prevalent in society and in the church today. I made the mistake of underestimating, and misjudging, in whom these issues may be lurking. I was in a situation where I should have just kept my big mouth shut and done what Paul said and kept the matter of my Christian liberty to myself!
The whole hiding thing...no...no...no

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fascinating that the drinking Christian is being portrayed as the "stronger in faith'. I think that is hilarious and sad at the same time.
My wife has a glass of red wine nightly. We've seen empirically that this lowers her blood sugar. She is diet controlled diabetic, and this is part of it. I normally don't make a point of sharing this. Neither she nor I have any issues with her doing this. I don't drink. We were both alcoholics in the 80's, and now we are not. My faith is that I do not drink, her faith is that she does. The point isn't about who does and who doesn't, but that we are both trusting in the Lord.

Much love!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My wife has a glass of red wine nightly. We've seen empirically that this lowers her blood sugar. She is diet controlled diabetic, and this is part of it. I normally don't make a point of sharing this. Neither she nor I have any issues with her doing this. I don't drink. We were both alcoholics in the 80's, and now we are not. My faith is that I do not drink, her faith is that she does. The point isn't about who does and who doesn't, but that we are both trusting in the Lord.

Much love!
For reasons I am not willing to divulge, I am in full accordance with you here. My issue is with drinking for pleasure. There are better healthier alternatives.
In the early 70s I drank to excess... Often. Many of my forbears we alcoholics on mother's side. There was suicide... Arrests... mental institutions... And much family angst. Although for many years I was a heavy drinker, I escaped the alcoholism side by the grace of God. Sadly, my sister's youngest daughter died of alcohol poisoning in her 30s.
I believe my conversion in 1976 saved me from a drug auction.
About faith. The idea that was propositioned in an earlier post which said basically...I drink because I have more faith than the Christian who doesn't drink... Is what I was referring to as being hilarious and sad. As if the Christian drinker is somehow spiritually superior to the non drinker.

Reactions: amadeus

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For reasons I am not willing to divulge, I am in full accordance with you here. My issue is with drinking for pleasure. There are better healthier alternatives.
In the early 70s I drank to excess... Often. Many of my forbears we alcoholics on mother's side. There was suicide... Arrests... mental institutions... And much family angst. Although for many years I was a heavy drinker, I escaped the alcoholism side by the grace of God. Sadly, my sister's youngest daughter died of alcohol poisoning in her 30s.
I believe my conversion in 1976 saved me from a drug auction.
About faith. The idea that was propositioned in an earlier post which said basically...I drink because I have more faith than the Christian who doesn't drink... Is what I was referring to as being hilarious and sad. As if the Christian drinker is somehow spiritually superior to the non drinker.

Backlit you and I have conversed before and I have nothing against you. My condolences for the loses in your life. I feel your pain and I can say that because I feel your pain. My mom was a wonderful woman and an intellectual but died of cirrhosis of the liver. My son was killed dealing with drugs.

I actually wrote up a long post but I do not think everyone would appreciate it.
The bottom line...the Bible does not define drinking as a sin.
But drinking can be dangerous...like many things...and if you choose not to drink that is perfectly fine.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No thank you.
Amen brother. Don't let the lawgivers try to push you into doing things in a corner and in secret, as though it were a shame to be free in Christ.

You know, if I knew who this person was, and I knew that person was around me somewhere, I truly would take a good gulp and smile, and say Thank You, Jesus.

What I most reject are those who think themselves great and strong, but being craven and weak, on purpose.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fascinating that the drinking Christian is being portrayed as the "stronger in faith'. I think that is hilarious and sad at the same time.
Since you are the strongest of the strong, I commend you. I only wish I were so strong as thee.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I have a long-time beloved brother in the Lord. We have been through much together by way of false ministry. He does not drink because of the history of destructive alcohol in his family. I do, because I enjoy it. He knows it is a personal choice like any other thing in life.

The only ones that make issue out of it are children that have not grown up and look for cheap ways to show their superiority over others.

Jesus drank wine with sinners and ate food with them, without drunkenness nor gluttony, though He was still accused of it by the fault finders.

Reactions: marks
Status
Not open for further replies.