Is Drinking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in these words have you hidden your definition of sin? Are you presuming that every action or word or deed which would be sin for you would always also be sin for everyone else?

Some people are incapable of thinking their cherished beliefs are somehow not relative to others in sight of God.

It's sort of like a pride of conviction.
Very likely there is something in that!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point being that such challenges to liberty in themselves, masked as simple questions are not honest.

Let me tell you something, the lady is honest. Don't make a "donkey" out of yourself. LOL You know what I mean.

Why a person drinks is a discussion, if they want to discuss it. It is our own business if we drink. No need for an explanation or apology.

But there maybe people out there that have had the "drink" harm or destroy their lives and need to talk about it.

As Christian friends we can discuss it without condemnation or getting an attitude.

If you want to get rude with somebody, I am your huckleberry....I am an OX with thick skin and we can discuss it.

heart2soul is a wonderful person and does not deserve the rudeness.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question for everyone...
If you go out and drink and get drunk then in the way home you wreck the car and involve others in the wreck....some die, others are seriously injured...are you a murderer?...would it be considered 1st Degree?
1st Degree implies that it is premeditated....now I thought about it and it isn't premeditated in that you intended to target the victim but it is in that you knew you were getting drunk and still got behind the wheel knowing the dangers of it.
That is something to ponder.

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me tell you something, the lady is honest. Don't make a "donkey" out of yourself. LOL You know what I mean.

Why a person drinks is a discussion, if they want to discuss it. It is our own business if we drink. No need for an explanation or apology.

But there maybe people out there that have had the "drink" harm or destroy their lives and need to talk about it.

As Christian friends we can discuss it without condemnation or getting an attitude.

If you want to get rude with somebody, I am your huckleberry....I am an OX with thick skin and we can discuss it.

;)

Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you go out and drink and get drunk then in the way home you wreck the car and involve others in the wreck....some die, others are seriously injured...are you a murderer?...would it be considered 1st Degree?
1st Degree implies that it is premeditated....now I thought about it and it isn't premeditated in that you intended to target the victim but it is in that you knew you were getting drunk and still got behind the wheel knowing the dangers of it.

Stupid kills....and you know what they say, there is no cure for that.
Most deadly accidents do not involve alcohol.
Then again if any of us have an accident that harms someone we have to deal with that, whatever the cause.
Driving is serious business and that is something that we need to be reminded of....drinking and distractions are something we need to be careful of.
The person that dies in a car accident does not know what caused it. Was the other person drunk, were they distracted, did they have something else on their mind. Either way they are dead. The point is when you get behind a wheel we need to be ready to drive. Probably one of the most dangerous things you can do is get in a car. Need to be aware of that. Places that serve alcohol usually have parking lots. So it is designed to drink and drive. It is up to us to be responsible.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stupid kills....and you know what they say, there is no cure for that.
Most deadly accidents do not involve alcohol.
Then again if any of us have an accident that harms someone we have to deal with that, whatever the cause.
Driving is serious business and that is something that we need to be reminded of....drinking and distractions are something we need to be careful of.
The person that dies in a car accident does not know what caused it. Was the other person drunk, were they distracted, did they have something else on their mind. Either way they are dead. The point is when you get behind a wheel we need to be ready to drive. Probably one of the most dangerous things you can do is get in a car. Need to be aware of that. Places that serve alcohol usually have parking lots. So it is designed to drink and drive. It is up to us to be responsible.
Exactly, which is why lawmakers have had to make laws and implement harsh punishment for those who break them....
But I was kind of going another direction with my analogy....my point is when we commit to allow things in our lives are we certain that it doesn't harm others....can we partake without harming....see whar I mean?

Reactions: Grailhunter

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But, I thought this thread was about whether drinking alcohol is sin or not. No, wait. It is. For a second there, you seemed to be telling me that this thread is about discussing bad or good experiences with alcohol.

Which frankly, would be no bother, except that they then go on to establish rule of Christ, that all else should obey based upon it, and if not, then those rebellious sinners are just 'carnal' Christians, which really means not Christian at all, which really is an accusation against the brethren, which really is what the devil does best.

That is the kind of attitude we ought not be getting here.

So, you can be an ox all you want, and they can yank your chain all they want.

I don't participate in either.

Let me tell you something.

You did, and my respect for you as a teacher of doctrine just dropped by half.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For drunkards yes. Drinkers no.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking or taking any intoxicant will open us up to sin.
And so it is agreed. Drinking and taking any intoxicant is not a sin in itself.

Food and money are very huge intoxicants. So is sex. Add sports and any other entertaining past time ont he planet. Ever witnessed European soccer fans brawling over their teams? Alcohol was not the culprit, but unbridled lust and carnal passion was, even in a sporting event.

babes don't understand that salvation by grace is to be delivered inwardly from the lust of the world that corrupts all things that are good and clean of themselves sin the world.

They then go on to be false teachers of their own opinions, rather than of scripture, because they are proud babes, who don't want to learn the difference between the two.

Why didn't God condemn the games and tragedies, which were the sports and movies of today?

Maybe because, IN THEMSELVES, hello, they are not sin. But lust entering in defiles all things, which is what Christians are supposed to be delivered from, so that we can partake of all things without lust, and thus not transgress by riotous living.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dirty little secret about 'zero-tolerance' policy makers, where God has made no law, and so there is no transgression, is that they are admitting they have not been delivered from the lust that corrupts everything good in itself.

One weak person's abiding lust does not demand another strong person's loss of liberty.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so it is agreed. Drinking and taking any intoxicant is not a sin in itself.

Food and money are very huge intoxicants. So is sex. Add sports and any other entertaining past time ont he planet. Ever witnessed European soccer fans brawling over their teams? Alcohol was not the culprit, but unbridled lust and carnal passion was, even in a sporting event.

babes don't understand that salvation by grace is to be delivered inwardly from the lust of the world that corrupts all things that are good and clean of themselves sin the world.

They then go on to be false teachers of their own opinions, rather than of scripture, because they are proud babes, who don't want to learn the difference between the two.

Why didn't God condemn the Olympic games and the Greek tragedies as sin? It was all founded on pagan religion too.

Maybe because, IN THEMSELVES, hello, they are not sin. But lust entering in defiles all things, which is what Christians are supposed to be delivered from, so that we can partake without lust and thus not transgress by riotous living.

Good post @robert derrick
Agree with everything you wrote.
The closer we move to God, or... as a wonderful brother on here once said (paraphrased) 'The more we study the scriptures, the more the lures of lust and the things of this world will fade'. And, how true that is. It's a war brother!!!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be sober, as in... un drunk, as in... un tipsy.

The Holy Ghost will not minister through a buzzin brother.
Spoken like a well-trained proselyte.

Since, you have no real regard for sense and doctrine of Scripture, stick to your religion.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would def call it murder BECAUSE they knew better. Negligence seems too light a word for it.
Only by the Hand of God did I not kill someone back in my B.C. days. How selfish.
Not to mention that you would have to live with that on your conscience the rest of your life...most likely in prison!

If one wants to have a drink after work at home or, a beer or two at home while barbequing, and they know they are not driving that night then I see nothing wrong with that.
Good pondering post sister.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir the question wasn't directed to you....it was stated as a general statement that might be of interests to meditate on.
I ask that you would tone it down with your defensive replies that defend yourself but attack the one you are replying to.
You started this thread? You invited members to join the discussion and give their thoughts on it and you attack and insult them when they do?
Not very edifying nor does it allow for others to present all sides of what they have come to believe and why.
A question asked me twice pointedly was not directed at me? it was meditative in nature?

You invited members to join the discussion and give their thoughts on it and you attack and insult them when they do?

The invitation was to prove by Scripture. And the insults came, when personal thoughts were presented as doctrine of Christ.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You are a child. Go somewhere that they want to discuss your feelings on a matter.

As Holmes would say, The facts please, just the facts.

Scripture please, just Scripture.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert if you want to drink, then drink...you know what you can handle and when to stop.
Everyone is unique in how the perceive drinking alcohol....as I said I used to think it was a sin because it caused bad things to happen when people drank (to drunkenness).
It leads to destruction in many lives...Alcohol is addictive and can cause people to lose their jobs, family, friends and life.
A police officer where I live was arrested today for drinking and driving while on duty and hit a car that was stopped at a light in front of him....sad...so sad that his career is in jeopardy, his family's finances will be affected and numerous other consequences related to this....his breathalyzer measured .11%
Is he an alcoholic? I don't know...
I worked a pipeline job and the operator I was assigned to work with drank all day while working...he was an alcoholic....he eventually was fired for damage to vehicles around him and even got arrested for his 7th DUI.
Drinking isn't a sin but it can lead to many consequences if you drink to the point of drunkenness....
It has been determined 2 beers is the limit before you start becoming impaired.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A question asked me twice pointedly was not directed at me? it was meditative in nature?

You invited members to join the discussion and give their thoughts on it and you attack and insult them when they do?

The invitation was to prove by Scripture. And the insults came, when personal thoughts were presented as doctrine of Christ.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You are a child. Go somewhere that they want to discuss your feelings on a matter.

As Holmes would say, The facts please, just the facts.

Scripture please, just Scripture.
I am done.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You totally misunderstood my point...let me share my own experience....
When my husband died I began to drink....and at times I would drink an entire 30 pack of beer to make myself pass out. He died in his sleep and when I woke up i was traumatized by the sight of his body. I couldn't sleep and I grieved so deeply that i turned to alcohol....it made me numb and i would pass out from drinking.
So the reason I drank was to make the pain go away and to be able to sleep.
I didn't drink because I liked it.. I drank to achieve the effects from it.
You self-medicated to numb yourself to the pain. You have had such loss and tragedy sister, you are probably a whole lot stronger than you think!
xo

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You self-medicated to numb yourself to the pain. You have had such loss and tragedy sister, you are probably a whole lot stronger than you think!
xo
Thank you...I don't drink anymore...I stay close to the Lord....He is my "go to" when I am struggling.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.