Is Drinking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in these words have you hidden your definition of sin? Are you presuming that every action or word or deed which would be sin for you would always also be sin for everyone else? Does the knowledge of the individual play no part? Does God's purpose for the "to you offensive occurrence" make no difference? What if God told someone to do something that you would always consider sin for yourself? Have you ever compared what God told Hosea to do with what the Apostle Paul wrote here?

"The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD." Hosea 1:2

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" II Cor 6:14

Did God change? Was God a respecter of persons?
But in these words have you hidden your definition of sin? Are you presuming that every action or word or deed which would be sin for you would always also be sin for everyone else?

Some people are incapable of thinking their cherished beliefs are somehow not relative to others in sight of God.

It's sort of like a pride of conviction.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in these words have you hidden your definition of sin? Are you presuming that every action or word or deed which would be sin for you would always also be sin for everyone else?

Some people are incapable of thinking their cherished beliefs are somehow not relative to others in sight of God.

It's sort of like a pride of conviction.
Who did you have in mind here?

Much love!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Freedom in Christ. I can drink anything through Christ Who strengthens me. Is that how it works?
And eat and have sex and make money and attend functions and etc...all through faith of Jesus within the boundary of His law.

You have the words for it now, though of course in an accusative manner.

And you will probably never understand and accept it, because you will never likely allow yourself to think that your personal convictions don't amount to a hill of beans in sight of God to the rest of His body.

Which is your angst and problem, not mine. I got over myself and my personal righteousness compared to others long ago, and my life in Christ is much the better for it.

If I direct my left index finger not to move, while it is weak and bruised, why should the rest of the fingers be immobilized?

Now, the other fingers aren't to go poking at the bruised one, but they certainly are not required to act weak as it is.

So, when you have a quote from Scripture plainly stating that drinking alcohol is a sin, post it; otherwise, your opinions and convictions and ignorance of liberty in the law is of no account.

Maybe you should start a thread elsewhere about all the personal opinions and convictions that Christians have for themselves. Sort of like, "What are your personal convictions as a Christian?"

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking or taking any intoxicant will open us up to sin.
So will eating and having sex and making money and whatever else you want to plug in...

The love of money is the root of all evil.

In any case, this thread is about whether God says drinking alcohol is a sin or not.

So, if you have Scripture to contribute...

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So will eating and having sex and making money and whatever else you want to plug in...

The love of money is the root of all evil.

In any case, this thread is about whether God says drinking alcohol is a sin or not.

So, if you have Scripture to contribute...
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Booze is excessive...The Spirit is the better choice.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You totally misunderstood my point...let me share my own experience....
When my husband died I began to drink....and at times I would drink an entire 30 pack of beer to make myself pass out. He died in his sleep and when I woke up i was traumatized by the sight of his body. I couldn't sleep and I grieved so deeply that i turned to alcohol....it made me numb and i would pass out from drinking.
So the reason I drank was to make the pain go away and to be able to sleep.
I didn't drink because I liked it.. I drank to achieve the effects from it.
Then you need to ask questions accurately.

"Why do you drink" can mean anything, and the natural response is, why not?

But, do I drink because of my troubles? No way. In fact, if troubles and tribulation are coming my way, then I abstain from anything that would interfere with my handling of it through faith, which could include a severe blanket fasting: no sex, no food, no drink...only water, praying, and walking after the Spirit.

Otherwise, I used to get drunk because I loved it (though not afterward, and especially if losing a fight because of it), now I drink because I love it, without any afterward issue, because I don't get drunk wherein is excess.

Oh, and yes, I have been and can be filled with the Holy Ghost while drinking, many times while seeking Him as such, and other times, when He chooses to do so.

Why? Because that is my life in Christ by His grace, and it includes all manner of partaking of the good things of the earth: food, sex, work, entertainment, fellowship, drink...(Well, ok, never been filled with the Spirit during sex. But we can always hope.)

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance....

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

The old wine is not needed for the true Spirit filled believer.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;...

The Holy Ghost is the replacement for earthly wine.

The earthly wine is the replacement for the Holy Ghost to carnal Christians.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Thank you. Sober and sober-minded and sobriety all intersect with mature and careful consideration, not alcohol free blood system.

(1 Tim 2)
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety (vs 9)

Does this mean sobriety is absence of clothes?

Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. (v 15)

No charity and holiness?

No, of course not, and sobriety is one of the most overlooked characteristics of God for His saints: the ability to think soberly: with moderation. Not to be going to extremes on either the left nor the right. The right balance of all things.

Just thinking of it as 'not drinking' is the carnal mind of a novice, not the wisdom and spiritual understanding (Col 1:9) in a mature walk with God.

This is most lacking when believers try to preach law of Christ: they have no concept of balancing between what God plainly says is sin and transgression, and what they personally think it is. Many don't even understand the concept of quoting the law to prove the law and so porve transgression of the law: for where no law is, there is no transgression. (Rom 4)

And so, once again, any Scripture stating plainly that drinking is a sin and transgression of God righteousness? Or now even linking being sober at all times applies directly to alcohol?

Afterall, what does it mean to drunk on power? on sex? even on false ministry? And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. (Rev 17)

Is Babylon the Great really just a drunkard that wants Christians to drink alcohol, in order to lead them into sin? Which of course in itself means that alcohol is not the sin itself.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is there Scripture saying: Thou shalt not do unhealthy things? Or Thou shalt not drink nor earth that which is unhealthy? Or Unhealthy living is a life of sin?

The operative words in all this is: "In my opinion."

Therefore by that opinion, that one does sin if he partakes, for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Point of all of this is "getting drunk" is sinful.

How do we know this, and not just have an 'opinion' about it?

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Cor 6)

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit. (Eph 5)

P.s. Speeding is not a sin against God, but a violation of man's traffic law. God's law has no 'exemptions', but man's law usually will.

If I determine to speed for my own reasons by faith, then I am not sinning against God, but rather risking traffic ticket of man.
Do as you desire.
Common sense is out of the window in Christian circles, just as common sense has been thrown out by the non christian world.

Some times it is difficult to tell the difference between "Christian" and "Non Christian".

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;...

The Holy Ghost is the replacement for earthly wine.

So you say.

But God says be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit.

And why would Peter need point out they were not drunk, if drinking in itself were a sin? He would just say" No, we are not transgressors, who drink wine."

In any case, you plainly have your own opinion that you make law for all and so judge all by it:

There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? (James 4)

I used to be one of you and a leader among such, as Paul was in the Jews Religion that accused Jesus, but now being freed from such, I can plainly and accurately say, The Lord rebuke thee in thy self-righteous pride, and false accusation against the brethren and sisters in Christ.

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. (Rev 12)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you need to ask questions accurately.

"Why do you drink" can mean anything, and the natural response is, why not?

But, do I drink because of my troubles? No way. In fact, if troubles and tribulation are coming my way, then I abstain from anything that would interfere with my handling of it through faith, which could include a severe blanket fasting: no sex, no food, no drink...only water, praying, and walking after the Spirit.

Otherwise, I used to get drunk because I loved it (though not afterward, and especially if losing a fight because of it), now I drink because I love it, without any afterward issue, because I don't get drunk wherein is excess.

Oh, and yes, I have been and can be filled with the Holy Ghost while drinking, many times while seeking Him as such, and other times, when He chooses to do so.

Why? Because that is my life in Christ by His grace, and it includes all manner of partaking of the good things of the earth: food, sex, work, entertainment, fellowship, drink...(Well, ok, never been filled with the Spirit during sex. But we can always hope.)
Sir the question wasn't directed to you....it was stated as a general statement that might be of interests to meditate on.
I ask that you would tone it down with your defensive replies that defend yourself but attack the one you are replying to.
You started this thread? You invited members to join the discussion and give their thoughts on it and you attack and insult them when they do?
Not very edifying nor does it allow for others to present all sides of what they have come to believe and why.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Sober and sober-minded and sobriety all intersect with mature and careful consideration, not alcohol free blood system.

(1 Tim 2)
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety (vs 9)

Does this mean sobriety is absence of clothes?

Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. (v 15)

No charity and holiness?

No, of course not, and sobriety is one of the most overlooked characteristics of God for His saints: the ability to think soberly: with moderation. Not to be going to extremes on either the left nor the right. The right balance of all things.

Just thinking of it as 'not drinking' is the carnal mind of a novice, not the wisdom and spiritual understanding (Col 1:9) in a mature walk with God.

This is most lacking when believers try to preach law of Christ: they have no concept of balancing between what God plainly says is sin and transgression, and what they personally think it is. Many don't even understand the concept of quoting the law to prove the law and so porve transgression of the law: for where no law is, there is no transgression. (Rom 4)

And so, once again, any Scripture stating plainly that drinking is a sin and transgression of God righteousness? Or now even linking being sober at all times applies directly to alcohol?

Afterall, what does it mean to drunk on power? on sex? even on false ministry? And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. (Rev 17)

Is Babylon the Great really just a drunkard that wants Christians to drink alcohol, in order to lead them into sin? Which of course in itself means that alcohol is not the sin itself.
Be sober, as in... un drunk, as in... un tipsy.

The Holy Ghost will not minister through a buzzin brother.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you say.

But God says be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit.

And why would Peter need point out they were not drunk, if drinking in itself were a sin? He would just say" No, we are not transgressors, who drink wine."

In any case, you plainly have your own opinion that you make law for all and so judge all by it:

There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? (James 4)

I used to be one of you and a leader among such, as Paul was in the Jews Religion that accused Jesus, but now being freed from such, I can plainly and accurately say, The Lord rebuke thee in thy self-righteous pride, and false accusation against the brethren and sisters in Christ.

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. (Rev 12)
I'll drink to that...hiccup!

Status
Not open for further replies.