Is drinking sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For somebody who presents himself as such a sincere Christian here, it's very odd that you would conclude that God/Jesus would EVER ingest alcohol after all the information that's been presented about it in this thread.

Goes to show how many well-meaning Christians are so truly deceived.

@GEN2REV, I do not understand the purpose of all the stuff you have written here, almost none of it having anything whatsoever to do with drinking. It seems that your only purpose is to throw mud in the Face of God.

YOU say drinking is wrong. God says the opposite!

God admonishes us to:
Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to him whose life is bitter.
Let him drink and forget his poverty
And remember his trouble no more. Proverbs 31
"Wine to gladden the heart of man" Psalm 104.

God commands us to take the tithe of the first and second year and spend it on Thanksgiving/Vacation time. They were told "take the money in your hand, and go to the place the LORD your God will choose (probably something like a provincial park). Then you may spend the money on anything you desire: cattle, sheep, wine, strong drink, or anything you wish. You are to feast there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice with your household. Deut 14:24

Sounds like major party time with lots of booze!

Why do you have such hatred for what God has blessed??

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, many are deceived, as satan is very good at what he does, but for Christians that is an impossibility as God will not allow it. He limits satan in what he is allowed to do to His people.
Not all who call themselves Christians are God's People (children).

There are levels of Christians. Not all are guided and protected by God.

-Those who profess faith in Christ, but have none.
-Those who have truly been given the gift of faith, but do nothing about it.
-Those who have faith and actually follow Christ's example in their lives and receive the Holy Spirit which guides and guards them throughout the remainder of their lives.

Professing to be a Christian and getting baptized is the bare minimum a Christian can do; it is only an outward expression of faith. They must then change in their heart and that is totally up to God based on the sincerity He sees in their heart and in their walk.

Contrary to popular teaching, we are not the holiest we will ever be at the moment of "getting saved."

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At least my message is stable and not wavering back and forth.
Sounds like major party time with lots of booze!
Sounds like you're not really here to advocate for sobriety.
“Over indulge” is rather vague unspecific criteria, whereas the Bible specifies. “Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.”

That’s quite a lot of booze!!
We are talking about booze a pretty large dosage is prescribed to enable them to forget and remember their sorrow and trouble no more!
The rich attended bringing lots of booze and food for themselves, but failed to share any of it with the poor who had nothing!!
It would be nice if the elders would bring a bottle or two of fine wine.
Same rule applies today: “Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into your automobile, lest ye die".
Would you like to restate your purpose here?

Are you advocating for drinking "lots of booze" or speaking in alignment with the Bible's Commandment to be sober?

You're not making a respectable Christian case so far.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At least my message is stable and not wavering back and forth.
Sounds like you're not really here to advocate for sobriety.Would you like to restate your purpose here?

Are you advocating for drinking "lots of booze" or speaking in alignment with the Bible's Commandment to be sober?

You're not making a respectable Christian case so far.

I am only advocating what God is advocating! And you don't need an IQ above 75 to clearly understand His position on the gift of booze He has given to the world.

Even now, you are calling God a sinner because He is advocating the use of alcohol for those in emotional stress:

Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to him whose life is bitter.
Let him drink and forget his poverty
And remember his trouble no more. Proverbs 31
"Wine to gladden the heart of man" Psalm 10

You are condemning God for not withdrawing His gift, and not demanding that they remain sober!! You are throwing mud in God's face because He does not meet YOUR standard of holiness!!

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am only advocating what God is advocating! And you don't need an IQ above 75 to clearly understand His position on the gift of booze He has given to the world.
So you're saying that somebody with mental retardation can see clearly that God demands sobriety and that His Word speaks negatively of alcohol and the consumption thereof?
You are condemning God for not withdrawing His gift, and not demanding that they remain sober!! You are throwing mud in God's face because He does not meet YOUR standard of holiness!!
Enough with all the dramatic flare.

You're not God and I didn't mean to get it in your eyes.

Last edited:

Daniel777

May 15, 2022
Central Valley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my life is better without alcohol.

I'm with you, Quiet. I've been sober about 40 years, and would never want to go back to my drinking days. Having said that, I have heard that many Christians can have a glass of wine with a meal, and never touch the stuff for weeks or months. I don't judge them...I can only speak for myself and others who have been impacted by the consequences of drinking. However, I do think that even so-called "moderate drinking" can in some cases open a door for alcoholism and its related issues. I was just in a meeting recently, and a great Christian lady with a powerful ministry shared that she had been sober for many years. But after several stressful months of personal issues, she had a glass of wine. A few days later, another. Not too long afterwards, she caused a drunken disturbance and was arrested. So sad. The rest of us tried to encourage her, and prayed for her, but the damage is done. Hopefully at some point she can return to her ministry. Please, everyone, pray for her!

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm with you, Quiet. I've been sober about 40 years, and would never want to go back to my drinking days. Having said that, I have heard that many Christians can have a glass of wine with a meal, and never touch the stuff for weeks or months. I don't judge them...I can only speak for myself and others who have been impacted by the consequences of drinking. However, I do think that even so-called "moderate drinking" can in some cases open a door for alcoholism and its related issues. I was just in a meeting recently, and a great Christian lady with a powerful ministry shared that she had been sober for many years. But after several stressful months of personal issues, she had a glass of wine. A few days later, another. Not too long afterwards, she caused a drunken disturbance and was arrested. So sad. The rest of us tried to encourage her, and prayed for her, but the damage is done. Hopefully at some point she can return to her ministry. Please, everyone, pray for her!
Sad, praying.

Reactions: Daniel777

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true.

For starters Eve was deceived before the fall of man:

“And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.” (1 Timothy 2:14)

And Christians are warned over and over not to be deceived:

“Take heed that ye be not deceived” (Luke 21:8)

“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived” (1 Corinthians 6:9)

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.” (1 Corinthians 15:33)

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” (Galatians 6:7)

“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” (James 1:22)

You do therefore greatly err in saying it is impossible for a Christian to be deceived.

Actually Mick, I cant believe I said that, I know better, even anointed Christians can fall away from the faith. What I really meant was, that God will protect you from satan's attacks if you resist his temptations. None of us is more powerful than satan, but if you resist him, Jehovah will make it impossible for him to do anything to make you stumble. Perhaps you are familiar with this sir:
(1 Corinthians 10:13) . . .No temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

That is why I said it was impossible for satan to make Christians sin. If you choose the right path, Jehovah will keep him from getting hold of you. Many Christians have chose the path of sin however over taking the way out including myself at times, but what I mean is you don't have to take that path. Hope that makes sense sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all who call themselves Christians are God's People (children).

There are levels of Christians. Not all are guided and protected by God.

-Those who profess faith in Christ, but have none.
-Those who have truly been given the gift of faith, but do nothing about it.
-Those who have faith and actually follow Christ's example in their lives and receive the Holy Spirit which guides and guards them throughout the remainder of their lives.

Professing to be a Christian and getting baptized is the bare minimum a Christian can do; it is only an outward expression of faith. They must then change in their heart and that is totally up to God based on the sincerity He sees in their heart and in their walk.

Contrary to popular teaching, we are not the holiest we will ever be at the moment of "getting saved."

I really shouldn't have stated impossible. I was actually talking about a true Christian, true we are all imperfect and do sin frequently, but it is extremely rare if ever that a true Christian will sin a serious sin as found at 1 Cor 6:9,10 because God makes the way out for them. I have never been in a compromising situation in where I had to sin, and have always seen the way out, most of the time simply by walking away.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you don't need an IQ above 75 to clearly understand His position on the gift of booze He has given to the world.

“…His position on the gift of booze He has given to the world” praise God who has given the gift of the Holy Spirit? Your rejoicing, your peace, your comfort?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's exactly how it happens.

That's a point we haven't even touched on in this thread is the danger of "Christians" especially in dabbling with intoxicating substances.

For all we know, that's exactly how it happened with Noah and many other faithful believers. He had a little wine, knowing it was fermented or not, and before he knew it he was in the bottle.

thomas-lerooy-you-were-on-my-mind-2014-sculpture-2.jpg

It's also been long known by addicts in recovery that the moment we take a drink, our resolve to not overdo it quickly begins to wane. The next sip erodes it dramatically more and by the third drink (toke, snort, whatever), our original strong conviction to maintain control is gone.

"First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes a man."
(Uncertain of Author, but a well known quote among recovering addicts.)

I drank my share, and then some, in my teens and 20's, but today I am blessed with the ability to go long periods of time without drinking through sheer faith and God's Power. It has been well over a year now since I've had a drop, but when I do occasionally have a beer with an old friend, I can maintain my resistance to just a few beers or so the first time. Then I'm much more likely to drink again soon after. And by the 3rd time I have some beers, I can easily drink for 2-3 days straight.(And often do dangerous, scary and embarrassing things when that happens.)

The point of this post is that Christians are more susceptible to attacks from the enemy and when we "give the enemy a foothold" by ingesting alcohol (drugs), we are 100% asking for trouble.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For all we know, that's exactly how it happened with Noah and many other faithful believers. He had a little wine, knowing it was fermented or not, and before he knew it he was in the bottle.

The point of this post is that Christians are more susceptible to attacks from the enemy and when we "give the enemy a foothold" by ingesting alcohol (drugs), we are 100% asking for trouble.

You really don't understand the message here! Noah was not the one who is being criticized here! Noah got up the next morning feeling fine.

It was the one like you, the criticizer who ended up being punished, not just him but all of his descendants in perpetuity. The curse of Noah was placed upon Ham's son Canaan for all generations to come, i.e.:

"Then he said: Cursed be Canaan a servant of servants he shall be to his brethren. And he said: Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem, and may Canaan be his servant. May God enlarge Japeth, and may he dwell in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his servant." (Genesis 9:25-27).

And blessings upon the offspring of Shem and Japheth, who would have the offspring of Ham as servants in perpetuity.

Of Noah's son's, you seem to favour the judgemental Ham approach. :)

Last edited:

Daniel777

May 15, 2022
Central Valley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's exactly how it happens.

That's a point we haven't even touched on in this thread is the danger of "Christians" especially in dabbling with intoxicating substances.

thomas-lerooy-you-were-on-my-mind-2014-sculpture-2.jpg

It's also been long known by addicts in recovery that the moment we take a drink, our resolve to not overdo it quickly begins to wane. The next sip erodes it dramatically more and by the third drink (toke, snort, whatever), our original strong conviction to maintain control is gone.

"First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes a man."
(Uncertain of Author, but a well known quote among recovering addicts.)

I drank my share, and then some, in my teens and 20's, but today I am blessed with the ability to go long periods of time without drinking through sheer faith and God's Power. It has been well over a year now since I've had a drop, but when I do occasionally have a beer with an old friend, I can maintain my resistance to just a few beers or so the first time. Then I'm much more likely to drink again soon after. And by the 3rd time I have some beers, I can easily drink for 2-3 days straight.(And often do dangerous, scary and embarrassing things when that happens.)

Great points, Gen. As AA says, "one drink leads to another." Another issue that should be discussed is the influence of having alcohol in the cabinet, and how our teen children can be tempted by it. Or any other member of the family, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, or friends staying with us. What if they're dealing with alcohol issues, and they're confronted with a big fat temptation right there in the kitchen pantry, and nobody is looking? Not good.

Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!

“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7)
But only for a season- only until a more opportune time.

We must resist the devil over and over again.

He always returns to tempt us again and again - just as he did with Jesus.
Luke 4:13

Put on the whole armor of God.

God bless.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun. Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment. Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

in my opinion i think it's okay to drink wine but you need to stay clear headed don't drink too much

Reactions: Stan B

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in my opinion i think it's okay to drink wine but you need to stay clear headed don't drink too much
But, see, this is misleading to young Christians.

I get that this is a popular stance, and way of speaking about it, but we need to be clear when considering others of the faith.

Exactly how much is too much?

And how does one stay clear-headed while drinking alcohol? Each sip/drink clouds the mind and further impairs the judgment.

Countless drunks throughout history have attempted (ad nauseum) the '1-3 drinks only' plan; the problem is that they make this plan while in one mental state, but once they've had 1-3 drinks, they are now in a totally different mental state. Their judgment is significantly impaired by that point and their "head" is not clear.

If we know that becoming intoxicated is the sin in this discussion, then the question truly becomes "Is it ok to sin?" not "Is it ok to drink?".

And if walking that narrow line between sin and righteousness is the activity, is that what we want to encourage Christians to do? I propose that God wants us to stay as far from sin as we possibly can. That's why He tells us to completely part ways with the unrighteous.
2 Corinthians 6:17
Revelation 18:4

If God encourages righteousness, purity and perfection of heart and will, does it make any sense that He would desire for us to test Him by getting as close as we possibly can to that vapor-thin barrier between righteousness and sin?

Why chance it?

If we love God and believe that sin separates us from Him, what business does a Christian have ever taking a drink of alcohol?

God says "touch no unclean thing." Death is an unclean thing; and alcohol is a liquid of Death.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Exactly how much is too much?
the answer is not exact
every person has his/her own limit on how much alcohol can he/she take

sometimes it only takes half a glass of a light alcohol to kill the reputation of the supposedly good person
If we love God and believe that sin separates us from Him, what business does a Christian have ever taking a drink of alcohol?
both are the answer don't you agree? either you take the alcohol or not is an answer

but the best answer is as you said it christians shouldn't take alcohol but it's not a sin to take it according the word God accepted the vain works of men he said according to the word that we should just enjoy it because there's nothing we can do in the grave