Is It A Sin To Commit Suicide ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
yes it is a sin no matter how bad things are or how ever much pain you are in. However that doesn't mean that it cannot be forgiven. Now most people say that it can't be forgiven because it can't be confessed but remember that God looks into our hearts and he knows why we do things and what motivates us. Also, anyone who would take their own life cannot be of sound mind since self preservation is natural and I don't know if God would send someone to Hell if their reason for suiocide is that they don't have the capacity to make a sound judgement.

Finally, when we stand before the jdugemrnt seat of God, I don't think he concentrates on particular incidents in our lives but rather he looks at the big picture

Saying that I believe that anyone who is able to keep their eyes firmly fixed on the Lord will not succumb to suicide no matter how bd things get.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I was in the first Gulf War and I was standing in the sands of Iraq when we got word the war ended.

During our celebration a humvee pulled up with our company executive office and the chaplain.

He called me over by name and I knew something was wrong.

Turns out that the day the ground war started my brother died back in the states.

Due to how fast our unit was moving, the American Red Cross had trouble catching up with the message.

What was the happiest day in my life turned out to one of the saddest.

In flying back to the states we had a short stop at a military airbase in Spain.

I was able to call home for the first time and found out then that his death was a suicide.

Things went from bad to terrible.

Over the years I struggled with where my brother's soul would go.

He had a number of issues including, later in life, mental incapacity due to lifelong alcoholism.

He was also had severe depression.

He had not given his life over to the Lord (at least before I few out of the United States) so even if his death was an accident, he would not be in heaven.

But I do harbor hope that God took his mental incapacitation into account.

Part of me negates that though knowing that for the decades before, when he had his full faculties, he did not accept Christ.

I assume the question has to do with Christians and suicide.
Because if you don't know Jesus it doesn't matter whether you kill yourself or die in an accident, you have died in your sins.

Scripture promises that God will not give you anything you can't handle, and Jesus promises to be with you through it all.
But I can speak from personal experience how there have been times during my walk with Christ where I didn't know how I was going to make it through.

I know that God is at your side regardless of the trouble. It makes me sad to think that a Christian would be so decimated that to them their relationship with Jesus wasn't enough to carry them through. It just breaks your heart to think about.

Is the choice of suicide due to lack of faith in Christ or your lack of faith in your own abilities to cope?

When you reach the point where suicide is a real focus and consideration instead of just a passing thought, have you then passed over to a different place where you are no longer accountable?

I would like to think so, but I do not believe that is the case.

dougishere

Jan 12, 2012
Illinois
It's a sin, but so is everything else we do when we're alive. We are all sinners, 24/7. Our unrighteousness is sin, even our righteousness is as filthy rags, a sin. But if we have Christ's righteousness covering us by faith, neither death nor life shall separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. You say "ya but you can't repent from suicide," and my response is that Christ's covering of atonement doesn't get "uncovered" just because the sin hasn't been repented of. Repentance is something we do, saving our souls is something Christ does. Christ completes our salvation regardless of what we are able to do for him, like repentance.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All that is not of faith is sin.

It's a sin, but so is everything else we do when we're alive. We are all sinners, 24/7. Our unrighteousness is sin, even our righteousness is as filthy rags, a sin. But if we have Christ's righteousness covering us by faith, neither death nor life shall separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. You say "ya but you can't repent from suicide," and my response is that Christ's covering of atonement doesn't get "uncovered" just because the sin hasn't been repented of. Repentance is something we do, saving our souls is something Christ does. Christ completes our salvation regardless of what we are able to do for him, like repentance.

Condoning sin to appease others in sin is...well...a sin!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Those who belong to Jesus Christ adn are citizens of the Kingdom are no longer considered sinners. We are saints.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the story, Foreigner - it really spoke to me. I am sorry to hear about your brother. Thank you for serving in Iraq. I have a huge respect for anyone who serves in war. My friend is still struggling with the emotional turmoil from his service in the first Iraq war - he was one of the first to enter Baghdad. He lost his faith in the war.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was suicidal back in the early 2000s. And felt that I had nowhere to go. When I had aspergers and depression. But God showed me a different way. For people that care about me. As if you think about it, when you commit suicide. You are leaving them behind to pick up the pieces. They are the ones that are left out. And they are often overlooked over suicide. With their hearts broken and never can ever be replaced. I had a cousin that committed suicide in 2009. Her parents blame themselves and ask what could of they had done or should of? The questions keep coming but no answers hardly.

But everything we do is a sin whether it be a small or a large one. God wants us to remember that our bodies are His temples. And that we aren't mistakes for Him to make us. As He made us in His will and purpose. Remember, we are precious in His sight. And we need to remember that God gave us life. He made us and we should always remember to be grateful for that. It has taken me a long, long time to remember that. No matter how our days can be.

Reactions: Redeemed86

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I was in the first Gulf War and I was standing in the sands of Iraq when we got word the war ended.

During our celebration a humvee pulled up with our company executive office and the chaplain.

He called me over by name and I knew something was wrong.

Turns out that the day the ground war started my brother died back in the states.

Due to how fast our unit was moving, the American Red Cross had trouble catching up with the message.

What was the happiest day in my life turned out to one of the saddest.

In flying back to the states we had a short stop at a military airbase in Spain.

I was able to call home for the first time and found out then that his death was a suicide.

Things went from bad to terrible.

Over the years I struggled with where my brother's soul would go.

He had a number of issues including, later in life, mental incapacity due to lifelong alcoholism.

He was also had severe depression.

He had not given his life over to the Lord (at least before I few out of the United States) so even if his death was an accident, he would not be in heaven.

But I do harbor hope that God took his mental incapacitation into account.

Part of me negates that though knowing that for the decades before, when he had his full faculties, he did not accept Christ.

I assume the question has to do with Christians and suicide.
Because if you don't know Jesus it doesn't matter whether you kill yourself or die in an accident, you have died in your sins.

Scripture promises that God will not give you anything you can't handle, and Jesus promises to be with you through it all.
But I can speak from personal experience how there have been times during my walk with Christ where I didn't know how I was going to make it through.

I know that God is at your side regardless of the trouble. It makes me sad to think that a Christian would be so decimated that to them their relationship with Jesus wasn't enough to carry them through. It just breaks your heart to think about.

Is the choice of suicide due to lack of faith in Christ or your lack of faith in your own abilities to cope?

When you reach the point where suicide is a real focus and consideration instead of just a passing thought, have you then passed over to a different place where you are no longer accountable?

I would like to think so, but I do not believe that is the case.
Good evening Foreigner, first of all, I am sorry for the loss of your Brother. I am also thankful for your service to America. I myself have come dangerously close to committing suicide in the past, but I was afraid that I would go to hell. But now I believe that a person's mental state and poor choices does not necessarily make them a doomed soul, just rather a troubled soul that is now freed...So, to answer my own question...I don't think it is a sin, it's a sickness.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My sister had a dear friend. I will call her Dee. Dee knew the Lord and had a very wonderful faith, and a beautiful witness and a sweet, loving spirit. Dee had suffered abuse and witnessed her siblings also being abused as the youngest in a family that had several children. Her mind was seared by those memories and as an adult, she faced many hardships because of the stronghold of fear, guilt and just plain torment of the memories.

She sought help in both secular and Christian counselling for many years and took medication for a chronic depression that was debilitating at times. One day she couldn't take it any more, wrote a note and laid down on her perfectly made bed in her perfectly clean apartment, took some pills and died.

Dee was suffering a serious illness. That illness drove her to suicide. It was Satan's doing, and dear Dee did not have the spiritual tools---YET---to fight with power and authority against it. If she had developed more in her faith, I believe that she would have learned and grasped hold of the understanding that we are soldiers and we are a mighty army and can defeat the enemy on all sides!

Dee is with her loving Saviour, Jesus, right now. Every one of her sins was forgiven the moment she repented and gave her life to Jesus Christ years before. Every sin---past, present and future was nailed to that cross of Christ, so that when she died by her own hand, which God sees as sin, she would go right into the comforting arms of her Lord, who is her Healer and who knows all about the disease that sent her there.

Is it OK to sin in this way? Never! We cannot take God's grace for granted, as Paul warns. In Dee's case, we must remember it was part of her disease that caused her to do what she did. She may have sinned, but Jesus' promise of eternal life to all that believe on His name is not reversible.

God's grace reaches even as low as the deep depths of debilitating despair.

Romans 8:35-39 (NLT)

[sup]35[/sup] Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? [sup]36[/sup] (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) [sup]37[/sup] No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
[sup]38[/sup] And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. [sup]39[/sup] No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
My sister had a dear friend. I will call her Dee. Dee knew the Lord and had a very wonderful faith, and a beautiful witness and a sweet, loving spirit. Dee had suffered abuse and witnessed her siblings also being abused as the youngest in a family that had several children. Her mind was seared by those memories and as an adult, she faced many hardships because of the stronghold of fear, guilt and just plain torment of the memories.

She sought help in both secular and Christian counselling for many years and took medication for a chronic depression that was debilitating at times. One day she couldn't take it any more, wrote a note and laid down on her perfectly made bed in her perfectly clean apartment, took some pills and died.

Dee was suffering a serious illness. That illness drove her to suicide. It was Satan's doing, and dear Dee did not have the spiritual tools---YET---to fight with power and authority against it. If she had developed more in her faith, I believe that she would have learned and grasped hold of the understanding that we are soldiers and we are a mighty army and can defeat the enemy on all sides!

Dee is with her loving Saviour, Jesus, right now. Every one of her sins was forgiven the moment she repented and gave her life to Jesus Christ years before. Every sin---past, present and future was nailed to that cross of Christ, so that when she died by her own hand, which God sees as sin, she would go right into the comforting arms of her Lord, who is her Healer and who knows all about the disease that sent her there.

Is it OK to sin in this way? Never! We cannot take God's grace for granted, as Paul warns. In Dee's case, we must remember it was part of her disease that caused her to do what she did. She may have sinned, but Jesus' promise of eternal life to all that believe on His name is not reversible.

God's grace reaches even as low as the deep depths of debilitating despair.

Romans 8:35-39 (NLT)

[sup]35[/sup] Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? [sup]36[/sup] (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) [sup]37[/sup] No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
[sup]38[/sup] And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. [sup]39[/sup] No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

c
I am so sorry for your sister's loss and I appreciate your heartfelt and enlightening words. I myself had a friend who knew the Lord and yet commited suicide. We need to pray for those people who are sick in this way and who suffer in silence.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
suicide often includes mental illness. God is merciful.