Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you can take the OT version but I will take the NT way as in Peters dream/vision.
Yes mam.
Jesus confronted by the religious said this,
Matthew 15:
17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and THEY DEFILE A MAN.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Romans 14
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

However in esteeming our brethren better than ourselves so as not to be a stumbling block we must NOT eat what they consider unclean in front of them......... These will answer for their own lack of knowledge, understanding and wisdom before God in accepting what man or woman tells them as opposed to what God says !

Reactions: Pearl

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I mean is that when people accuse me of being a hypocrite when I tell them that homosexuality is an abomination, because they assume I eat pork, which God also calls an abomination, I can truthfully tell them I don't eat pork.
Well as pork is no longer any kind of ceremonial abomination, that is a reason I guess.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny thing, years ago I knew a young lady who took a summer job as a nanny for a Jewish couple in Chicago, they would go down to a basement kitchen, pull the blinds closed, and cook bacon.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said it was an abomination. I figure he knows more about it than I.
Them Jesus who also is god came along and said nothing that goes into us defiles us and then Paul under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit said this:

1 Timothy 4

King James Version

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

different rules for different people in different times.

Reactions: Shittim

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was it ever ceremonial? Do you have some scripture to back that up?
Well as it was not part of the ten which are considered the moral, and it was not a crime punishable by death or imprisonment, eat would not have been civil. that only leaves the ceremonial laws which encompassed much of everyday life. To violate these Mosaic laws would make one unclean until whatever time frame was attached to the violation.

The same as walking on the tomb of teh dead. It was not a crime or part of the ten, so it was a violation of ceremonial laws which rendered one unclean for a time period.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Them Jesus who also is god came along and said nothing that goes into us defiles us and then Paul under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit said this:

1 Timothy 4​

King James Version​

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

different rules for different people in different times.
God said homosexuality and eating pork are abominations. If I criticize the homosexual without abstaining from pork, then I am a hypocrite.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said homosexuality and eating pork are abominations. If I criticize the homosexual without abstaining from pork, then I am a hypocrite.
Do you know why God gave the Israelites their particular diet?

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the reference to eating pork being an abomination? I suggest one not to eat it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The distinction between clean and unclean animals was not particular to Israelites, and existed long before them. :)

God's instructions to Israel came with the Law, at Sinai.

God brought 2 each of the unclean, and 7 each of the clean animals into the ark, demonstrating that clean and unclean animals were designations that predated the Sinai covenant between God and Israel.

God told Noah that he could eat of any of the animals - all are food for you - demonstrating that there was no intrinsic reason that they should not eat any of them.

God allowed Noah, but not the Israelites. Do you know why?

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting… I’ve never heard that position.
Genesis 7:1-3 KJV
1) And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2) Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3) Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 7:1-3 KJV
1) And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2) Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3) Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Much love!
I agree… but the instructions of what is and what is not clean would be the question.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree… but the instructions of what is and what is not clean would be the question.
Or clean/unclean in what sense?

If we are saying, "unclean" means, shouldn't be eaten, well, God gave them to Noah to eat, clean and unclean.

But if we are saying, "unclean" means, not to be offered in sacrifice to God, then it's not about the human diet, it's about the correct worship of God. And if this is the difference, it's not so much a matter of God telling the Israelites, I'm giving you the perfect diet that everyone should be eating, it would be more like, I'm telling you to receive to yourselves for food only the animals suitable for worship, and in this way, you will be like ME, and not like the other nations.

Much love!

Reactions: Truthnightmare

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or clean/unclean in what sense?

If we are saying, "unclean" means, shouldn't be eaten, well, God gave them to Noah to eat, clean and unclean.

But if we are saying, "unclean" means, not to be offered in sacrifice to God, then it's not about the human diet, it's about the correct worship of God. And if this is the difference, it's not so much a matter of God telling the Israelites, I'm giving you the perfect diet that everyone should be eating, it would be more like, I'm telling you to receive to yourselves for food only the animals suitable for worship, and in this way, you will be like ME, and not like the other nations.

Much love!
Indeed… I personally try to avoid eating pork, but I also recognize the difference in laws.

Reactions: marks