Is Jesus a Man That God Selected?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Jesus a Man That God Selected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Because He (God) hath appointed a day,
in the which He will judge the world in righteousness
by that man whom He hath ordained;
whereof He hath given assurance unto all men,
in that He hath raised him from the dead.'

(Act 17:31)
See Acts 17:22-33

Hello @Wrangler,

The answer as to why Paul used such terminology, is found in to whom he is addressing. He is talking to men, religious men, but Idolaters, the city of Athens containing evidence of the many gods worshipped among them. Paul brings them down to earth with reference to the Lord Jesus Christ as being a 'Man': though a Man that God had ordained; Ordained for what? To judge the world in righteousness.

Being both, 'Son of God' and 'Son of Man: Who, but He is so wonderfully equipped to judge righteously? Praise His Name!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Q) Is Jesus a Man That God Selected?
A) No! He is a Man of God's begetting!
I think your response if a bit of a stretch charity. You are trying hard to find a way to say Yashua was not really a man selected by his Father, because you want to see him as (a) deity FIRST. You have introduced a novel context for Paul's deliberate words to his wide audience. And by doing so you have attempted to hide the true nature of the Christ who was also very much the Son of man.

Finally, you deliberately defied scripture in your answer to the question, 'was Jesus a man that God, his Father selected.'

His Father also ordained or anointed this man to be our Saviour!

You cannot pick and choose what parts of scripture you want to say is the word of God based on your taught theories and doctrines, I believe biased towards a trinity.

Reactions: Wrangler

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think your response if a bit of a stretch charity. You are trying hard to find a way to say Yashua was not really a man selected by his Father, because you want to see him as (a) deity FIRST. You have introduced a novel context for Paul's deliberate words to his wide audience. And by doing so you have attempted to hide the true nature of the Christ who was also very much the Son of man.

Finally, you deliberately defied scripture in your answer to the question, 'was Jesus a man that God, his Father selected.'

His Father also ordained or anointed this man to be our Saviour!

You cannot pick and choose what parts of scripture you want to say is the word of God based on your taught theories and doctrines, I believe biased towards a trinity.
Hello @APAK,

With respect, you have misunderstood my post entirely, and I do not recognise my own writing when coming from your understanding of it. I think you will find that I am not guilty of any of the accusations you have made. I have neither, 'stretched' the truth to fit my perspective, or sought to hide the true nature of Christ, in fact I have declared Him to be both 'Son of God' and 'Son of Man'. There is no picking and choosing on my part I can assure you. Please be a little more careful before you throw these accusations around, APAK, for it is a gross misrepresentation.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @APAK,

With respect, you have misunderstood my post entirely, and I do not recognise my own writing when coming from your understanding of it. I think you will find that I am not guilty of any of the accusations you have made. I have neither, 'stretched' the truth to fit my perspective, or sought to hide the true nature of Christ, in fact I have declared Him to be both 'Son of God' and 'Son of Man'. There is no picking and choosing on my part I can assure you. Please be a little more careful before you throw these accusations around, APAK, for it is a gross misrepresentation.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Charity, well these are your words as your answer below, are they not...?

So why did you not answer this question as true? And what do you really mean by your answer? '..a man of God's begetting!" Sounds cryptic to me.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have neither, 'stretched' the truth to fit my perspective, or sought to hide the true nature of Christ, in fact I have declared Him to be both 'Son of God' and 'Son of Man'.

You most certainly have stretch the truth with your proclamation NOT found in the text in question.

It’s fine to talk about OTHER attributes of Jesus in other threads. Whose son he is does not fall under the atttrubute under discussion. The singular question in this thread is, based on the text in the OP, is Jesus a man selected by God?

It is such a simple question but we all know the answer has big ramifications. That is why trinitarians contort themselves with their circuitous replies.

Reactions: Aunty Jane and APAK

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is a terrible translation whereby the verse that says Jesus was ordained, appointed, determined, to fulfill a specific ministry as part of His obedient submission to His Father, is twisted to suggest He was selected as one among many candidates..
And we can only apply ourselves to that one verse? What happened to the "whole counsel of God" in studying scripture?

Reactions: Helen

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see. Even though the text says Jesus is a man that God selected, he is not.

Funny thing, all begotten men can be chosen by their father for a purpose - or not. In other words, just because Jesus is God's begotten, does not change the Q&A at all. (No one is denying that Jesus is God's begotten and it is outside the scope of this thread).

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a terrible translation whereby the verse that says Jesus was ordained, appointed, determined, to fulfill a specific ministry as part of His obedient submission to His Father, is twisted to suggest He was selected as one among many candidates..
And we can only apply ourselves to that one verse? What happened to the "whole counsel of God" in studying scripture?

What is terrible about the translation of Acts 17:31? Where does it remotely imply he was selected amongst many candidates? Are you saying it is twisted because it just does not agree with you, without cause?

I do not see where you are coming from...what is really bothering you? Can you explain it - if you wish B? What then is a better translation?

Some translations:

Acts 17:31

1. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.” (NIV)

2. inasmuch as he hath appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. (ASV)

3. For he has set a Day when he will judge the inhabited world, and do it justly, by means of a man whom he has designated. And he has given public proof of it by resurrecting this man from the dead.” (Complete Jewish Bible - CJB)

4. Because he hath appointed a day wherein he will judge the world in equity, by the man whom he hath appointed; giving faith to all, by raising him up from the dead. (DRB - Catholic)

5. Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. (KJV)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He has fixed a day of accountability, when the whole world will be justly evaluated by a new, higher standard: not by a statue, but by a living man. God selected this man and made Him credible to all by raising Him from the dead.
Acts 17:31 (Voice)

Acts 17:31 KJV
31) Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

upload_2021-11-1_11-56-43.png

I don't know, but you seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on a word I'm not finding in the text.

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
potato/potatoe. False doctrine is still false despite a name change.
False doctrine will always be false doctrine . men will teach as men teach . OPEN BIBLE . OPEN BIBLES and read feverently
and seek GOD diligently . For man and men has failed us and this last age is deceiving worse than has all ages .
OPEN BIBLE . PRAY to GOD and seek Him diligently for many , i say many will seek HIM when once the door is closed
and it will be too late . SEEK NOW while there is still time to do so . For when once the SON of man has risen up
and closed the door , TOO LATE . TOO LATE .

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is Jesus a Man That God Selected? is the question asked in the OP. Jesus was and is God's son who was with him from the beginning of time.
There is one glaring problem with that statement @Pearl.....God is infinite, which means that he had no beginning and has no end of his immortal existence. When it says in John 1:1...."In the beginning was the Word and the word was WITH God", don't we have to ask..."the beginning of what?"
Since God had no beginning, does the Bible say that Jesus had a beginning?

Revelation 3:14...Jesus is called..."the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God". (ASV)
Colossians 1:15 Paul describes Jesus as..."the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation".....an "image" is a reflection of something, not the original. And if Jesus is the "firstborn of ALL creation", then there was a time when he did not exist. He was creation's "beginning".

He is also called an "only-begotten" son, (monogenes) which means that he was begotten before he was sent to earth to become a human. Those who are "begotten" need a "begetter"...someone who caused their existence.

If he was 'selected' then it was because he was the only one who could pay the price for our sin and I would say it was more that he volunteered to come to earth as a baby and die on a cross of execution.
Yes, you are right. If you recall the time when Abraham was asked to offer his precious son as a sacrifice.....we can identify with Abraham and the heart wrenching moment that he realized what it meant to offer his son to God in sacrifice. But Hebrews give us some insight as to his thinking....
Hebrews 11:17-19...
"By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, 18 of whom it was said, “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” 19 He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back."

So Abraham's faith moved him to do God's will, even though he did not know why he was asked to do such a thing.....and Isaac willingly allowed himself to become that sacrifice. But it was a test, and also an illustration of what God himself was required to do. We cannot imagine how hard it was for God to fulfill his law, and provide the ransom price for mankind....to send his son to die at the hands of evil men......but only an equivalent of what Adam lost for his children could pay the price of redemption.
If Jesus was God, then as an immortal, he could not die. Jesus had to be 100% mortal human in order to pay that price. Jesus was resurrected by his God and Father.