Is Leviticus 19:28 still applicable for today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is this applicable for today and our culture? Please discuss.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope....not applicable....we are not under Law but Grace.....it’s no more applicable than Tithing or using an animal sacrifice....Christians are Dead to the Law Of Moses....we have something better now to guide us—- the Holy Spirit ! Why settle for less ?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I didn’t realise that the reason that the people were cutting and marking themselves was to mourn. At the time this command was given to Gods people and they had hope beyond this life, so they should not mourn in this way.
However , despite us being under grace , does it in fact relay that our attitudes to death should be different because of the hope we have in Christ. ……….
Often cutting the skin was also done to impress others, or mark someone as a slave or align to a certain group, like wearing a badge of association. …….…society does that, but what about us !!
Rita

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nope....not applicable....we are not under Law but Grace.....it’s no more applicable than Tithing or using an animal sacrifice....Christians are Dead to the Law Of Moses....we have something better now to guide us—- the Holy Spirit ! Why settle for less ?

How does this fit in with Grace. Is this not also applicable.

Matt 22:34-40: - The Scribes: Which Is the First Commandment of All?
(Mark 12:28-34; Luke 10:25-28)

34 But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
NKJV

If jesus said that all of the Law of the Old Testament is based on just these two "laws" which law then, from the Old Testament, are now not applicable.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

34 But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
NKJV

If jesus said that all of the Law of the Old Testament is based on just these two "laws" which law then, from the Old Testament, are now not applicable.

Every law is good.....the more of them you obey the more God will bless you.....it’s like the instruction manual for a car....the law shows you how to live a life of wisdom that benefits YOU.....yes, the law can bless you, but the Law will not Save you.....it is great, yet it is also “weak” in the sense that it has no Power to Save....that “ Power” is Found by Believing the Gospel......

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t realise that the reason that the people were cutting and marking themselves was to mourn. At the time this command was given to Gods people and they had hope beyond this life, so they should not mourn in this way.
However , despite us being under grace , does it in fact relay that our attitudes to death should be different because of the hope we have in Christ. ……….
Often cutting the skin was also done to impress others, or mark someone as a slave or align to a certain group, like wearing a badge of association. …….…society does that, but what about us !!
Rita
I read somewhere that many ancient people used to cut themselves when their prayers were not answered.....that happens often when you are praying to a false god or gods......God demanded that His “ Chosen People” by differen from the rest of the world.....separate.....in other words, “ Holy” .......to be “ holy” simply means to be “ set apart” .....if the Israelis of Old cut themselves like the Heathen did, it would make God Look like he was not answering prayers....a Living God “ does” answer prayers....

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NKJV

The true love from GOD has been shed upon a true lambs heart .
Love would fullfill the law , NOT TRANSGRESS IT . the righteousness of the law would be fullfilled .
Too many make truth void through grace . They had rather feel safe and secure and allow
certain sins to be accepted , thus making void the law . WHICH paul said
we do not do . James and others wrote and said SIN is the trangression of the law .
We are not to use grace as an excuse to sin . YET when folks make void the righteous truth in that law
they do just that .
I have seen folks do this with homosexuality itself . THEY too say , HEY IT DONT APPLY TO US ANYMORE .
THEY must believe that JESUS somehow came to make it okay to SIN , to trangress . WHEN IN TRUTH
if we read hebrews we would see one of the reasons why GOD made the new covenant .
FOR FINDING fault with THEM , HE says I MAKE a new covenant . GOD made the way in CHRIST
so as we could worship HIM in SPIRIT and IN TRUTH as HE ALWAYS desired .
SIN has no part in worshipping GOD . IT does not please him . HE found fault in the peoples
under the first covenant , THUS HE made the way for us to truly love and serve HIM in the SECOND .
JESUS aint the ministir of sin and trangression and the sooner folks learn that the better .

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say yes and no. I agree that we are not under law but under grace. At the same time, however, this chapter is filled with various rules and regulations that appear to define righteousness, holiness or wholesomeness. I think it would honor God if I would at least try to understand his regulations and his rules before I reject them.

I would never tattoo my body except under certain circumstances. For instance, if I were a soldier, I might have a distinctive mark placed on my body somewhere hidden from view, in order to make it easier to identify my remains. Other than that, I can't see a reason.

Reactions: amadeus

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true love from GOD has been shed upon a true lambs heart .
Love would fullfill the law , NOT TRANSGRESS IT . the righteousness of the law would be fullfilled .
Too many make truth void through grace . They had rather feel safe and secure and allow
certain sins to be accepted , thus making void the law . WHICH paul said
we do not do . James and others wrote and said SIN is the trangression of the law .
We are not to use grace as an excuse to sin . YET when folks make void the righteous truth in that law
they do just that .
I have seen folks do this with homosexuality itself . THEY too say , HEY IT DONT APPLY TO US ANYMORE .
THEY must believe that JESUS somehow came to make it okay to SIN , to trangress . WHEN IN TRUTH
if we read hebrews we would see one of the reasons why GOD made the new covenant .
FOR FINDING fault with THEM , HE says I MAKE a new covenant . GOD made the way in CHRIST
so as we could worship HIM in SPIRIT and IN TRUTH as HE ALWAYS desired .
SIN has no part in worshipping GOD . IT does not please him . HE found fault in the peoples
under the first covenant , THUS HE made the way for us to truly love and serve HIM in the SECOND .
JESUS aint the ministir of sin and trangression and the sooner folks learn that the better .
Have you seen the latest commercials for these anti - Aids drugs that have Loving, smiling homosexuals partying and cavorting about as if it were all a part of a normal life —— just as sweet and innocent as can be , with these guys hugging and actually kissing each other now......every year the commercials get a little bolder.....
I suppose commercials featuring child- molesters cavorting with children will be next.....what’s wrong with it, after all ? It’s just guys that love kids, right?

These commercials make me sick , yet they are are all over the place and nobody seems to care....if perverted men want to have sex together , I’m not going to lose any sleep over it—- people will do what they want to do—- just don’t tell me that it isn’t a Sin, and a very serious one at that.....” Woe to them that call Evil good.....”

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say yes and no. I agree that we are not under law but under grace. At the same time, however, this chapter is filled with various rules and regulations that appear to define righteousness, holiness or wholesomeness. I think it would honor God if I would at least try to understand his regulations and his rules before I reject them.

I would never tattoo my body except under certain circumstances. For instance, if I were a soldier, I might have a distinctive mark placed on my body somewhere hidden from view, in order to make it easier to identify my remains. Other than that, I can't see a reason.
Not even then . The LORD knows the lambs . The LORD can indentify my soul , is all that matters to me .
When once this mortal glove is shed , ME IS GONNA BE HOME with a new body forever with the glorious King who saved me .
Now lift those hands up and let all that draws breath praise the wonderous and glorious Lord .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you seen the latest commercials for these anti - Aids drugs that have Loving, smiling homosexuals partying and cavorting about as if it were all a part of a normal life —— just as sweet and innocent as can be , with these guys hugging and actually kissing each other now......every year the commercials get a little bolder.....
I suppose commercials featuring child- molesters cavorting with children will be next.....what’s wrong with it, after all ? It’s just guys that love kids, right?

These commercials make me sick , yet they are are all over the place and nobody seems to care....if perverted men want to have sex together , I’m not going to lose any sleep over it—- people will do what they want to do—- just don’t tell me that it isn’t a Sin, and a very serious one at that.....” Woe to them that call Evil good.....”
Gospel believer do you also believe there is such thing as those who can lip His name
can even quoate the gospel, Yet they are not HIS , and do not know Him and are not saved .
If not , YOUR LOOKING at one who once was and did just that .
I had heard the gospel even as a four year old wee tot just barely weened of a few years of me own mothers milk .
Yet i did not know Him , did not have true faith in Him . I loved my sin , i comitted me adultery with other mens wives
I did many and much evil . I DID NOT KNOW HIM my dear friend . YET i remember clearly
tellling an atheist that he would go to hell if he did not believe in JESUS CHRIST .
The atheist wasnt the only one headed to hell , had we died that night my friend .
Many moons went by and years later i was truly drawn to the REAL LIFE SAVING AND LIFE CHANGING GRACE OF GOD
Found only in Christ . Gospel believer , we got many amongst us who also do the very same i once did .
AND I am telling us they are lost , they follow another jesus , they love the flesh , not the SON .
For had they loved the SON they would have loved the FATHER , and if we love GOD , WELL WE LOVE HIS WORDS .
Its real simple a walk my friend . When i see those whose love is money
or those who chase after wild women and sleep around , or those who are hollering i am gay and i am fine as is ,
My heart shudders in dire fear , cause I KNOW something they dont . THEY DONT KNOW HIM
they are NOT SAVED , they follow another jesus whose love somehow accepts their sin . PS that aint JESUS .
THEY love the flesh and walk on in pride and rebellion and yet say , HEY GOD IS LOVE
I believe in JESUS so i am saved and i am fine . NO THEY AINT . Cause while we know sin is present
within every one , LAMBS HATE THEIR SIN , LAMBS hate the evil of the flesh . THEY DONT JUSTIFY IT
THEY DONT HONOR IT . THAT is proof they are not HIS . FOR The grace of GOD actually CHANGES the heart .
And while evil is still present in the flesh , ANY LAMB SEES those contrary thoughts as a monster they have no desire
to embrace . Lambs dont walk in darkness my friend . THEY WALK in the LIGHT . and THE LIGHT dont love darkness
IT EXPOSES DARKNESS . I say we better learn the original pattern left to us in that bible . Folks
better make sure WHEN THEY SAY I BELIEVE IN JESUS , I LOVE HIM , ITS THE BIBLICAL JESUS THEY LOVE
and not another jesus that honors their sin . cause the latter one is satan using the name of JESUS
to convince them to follow him , as in satan . WHO WE LOVE is WHOSE we are . Folks better examine daily
to see if they indeed have been walking in the TRUE FAITH . make sure its JESUS WE FOLLOW and not
another jesus or another gospel either .

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lev 19:28- Is this applicable for today and our culture? Please discuss.

Leviticus 19:28 “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.”
Yup- "..your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God. You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." (1 Cor 6:19-20)
So just as we'd never dream of getting a can of spray paint and defacing the walls of a church, likewise we shouldn't want to deface our body with tattoos..:)

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Leviticus 19:28 “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.”
Yup- "..your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God. You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." (1 Cor 6:19-20)
So just as we'd never dream of getting a can of spray paint and defacing the walls of a church, likewise we shouldn't want to deface our body with tattoos..:)
I have a friend in seminary that had the oldest papyrus of his favorite scripture tattooed on his forearm (he can read the koine Greek).
I have an unsaved sister-in-law that had a butterfly tattooed on her ankle to remember her sister that committed suicide.

Are they the same thing?

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and no.

Leviticus 19:28 [NKJV] "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I [am] the LORD."

The LAW is the LAW, so it does not change: (Luke 16:17 "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail."). On the other hand ... (Exodus 19:3-6 And Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and [how] I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth [is] Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These [are] the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.") ... the LAW was not given to us. Furthermore, the purpose of the LAW is: (Romans 3:19-20 "Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.") ... to teach us about SIN.

So what does Leviticus 19:28 have to teach us?
  • We are not to be like the world.
  • We have hope in life and death that they do not.
  • We do not mourn like the world mourns.
These lessons from the LAW are still true, even for gentiles to whom the LAW was not given, and are found in the SPIRIT of: "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. (Lev 19:28)

Yes it is. We know that gangsters and criminals love to cover themselves in tattoos (which were always a pagan practice). So why should Christians look like lowlifes? The Christian's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. However, in the days in which we live people will make up any excuse for doing evil and call it good.

"I am the LORD" is meant to remind people that it is the Lord God Almighty who has commanded His people to be SEPARATE from the world and from its practices.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gospel believer do you also believe there is such thing as those who can lip His name
can even quoate the gospel

Absolutely! “ The Devil can quote Scripture for his purpose!”......You won’t find that in the KJV , but it may as well be in there.....it’s actually a famous quote from Shakespeare...” The Merchant Of Venice”

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that God was talking to the Jews, and we don't obey all the things he told the Jews to do. However, if it was wrong for the Jews to do the things mentioned in Leviticus 19:28, I don't know why it wouldn't be wrong for us, also.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

At the time that this part of the Mosaic Law was given, the Israelites were either among or about to enter pagan lands. In such pagan lands, it was a common practice to brand or tattoo slaves as an identity of ownership. In some lands, the people underwent an idolatrous practice of putting a permanent mark-of some manner-on their foreheads. This was meant to identify and honor their pagan gods. Some even inflicted cuttings on their body as a sign of morning for their dead.

The reason for the Law stated at Leviticus 19:28 was because Israel was a holy people to God Almighty, a special property. (Deuteronomy 14:2) Israel was to remain free from all idolatrous practices. By complying with this law, the Israelites would have stood out as different from other nations. The prohibition would also have impressed upon them a proper respect for the human body as God’s creation, to be used in honoring him.

Regarding the self-inflicting cuts upon the flesh, they were aware of the actual condition of the dead as well as the resurrection hope. Christians are not under the Mosaic Law. (Colossians 2:14) However, individuals Christians would do well to bear this scripture in mind when deciding what to do in this regard. Remember that our bodies are a gift from God.-Romans 12:1, 2.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. (Lev 19:28)

Yes it is. We know that gangsters and criminals love to cover themselves in tattoos (which were always a pagan practice). So why should Christians look like lowlifes? The Christian's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. However, in the days in which we live people will make up any excuse for doing evil and call it good.

"I am the LORD" is meant to remind people that it is the Lord God Almighty who has commanded His people to be SEPARATE from the world and from its practices.
Enoch are you still here on the earth . Well if not you wont be reading this . Where are you my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can even quoate the gospel

Absolutely! “ The Devil can quote Scripture for his purpose!”......You won’t find that in the KJV , but it may as well be in there.....it’s actually a famous quote from Shakespeare...” The Merchant Of Venice”
Have you too left the earth , if so this message is in vain .
If not where on earth have you been . Oh
your right about the devil being able to quaote scrips .
SO attention EVERYONE . DONT THINK the DEVIL cannot say GOD is love and yet preaches another kind of love
that leads folks far from GOD and right TO himself .