Is Lying a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Rahab incident reminds me of this ancient proverb:

quote-in-war-truth-is-the-first-casualty-aeschylus-38-65-89.jpg

Telling the truth would've gotten the spies killed. Probably her and her family too in the ensuing invasion. As it was, she betrayed her countrymen, but saved herself and her family. Helluva choice. She trusted the Israelites and their God and did what she had to do. That's why she's considered a paragon of faith, if not righteousness. But is not faith accounted to us as righteousness?

(And why is it that the first thing the spies did when they got to Jericho was seek out a hooker?)

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She was NOT Israelite.
So the commandments don’t apply to us if they are nailed to the cross.

Colossians 2:1
He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

In relation to our Laws of the land, you still get arrested for making a false report to the police, @Lambano

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the commandments don’t apply to us if they are nailed to the cross.

Colossians 2:1
He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

In relation to our Laws of the land, you still get arrested for making a false report to the police, @Lambano
Again: all the principles applied in the law of Moses are applicable to Christians.

Do you know the difference between principle and law?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@lforrest idk if the shema is part of it. But to Love God first and to love others while it’s a commandment reiterated - people who desire to love God first and love others choose to do so.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again: all the principles applied in the law of Moses are applicable to Christians.

Do you know the difference between principle and law?
I’m telling you, what Paul told the Colossians.

All my calling is to believe on the death, burial, and resurrection. I don’t go by what people think or submit I need to subject myself to.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any statute that reflects the identity of God is universal.

The identity of God does not change due to the simple fact that the law of Moses ceased to be applicable as a legal norm for Christians.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m telling you, what Paul told the Colossians.

All my calling is to believe on the death, burial, and resurrection. I don’t go by what people think or submit I need to subject myself to.
The Christian Scriptures are full of principles that every Christian should follow in their lives. They also clearly say that those who practice certain behaviors will not receive God's approval.

Do you think Christians don't have principles that are inviolable?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God changes all the time in how he dwelt with Israel. Now that Jesus paid the sin of everyone in the world. There is no more sin to be paid for @ElieG12.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ElieG12 I don’t believe I’m apart of Christian culture. There are principles, however eating and abstaining from pork isn’t gonna make me a nicer Christian if I get mad at someone else for having pork and deem them a non Christian for doing so. That seems to me a bit redundant.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God changes all the time in how he dwelt with Israel. Now that Jesus paid the sin of everyone in the world. There is no more sin to be paid for @ElieG12.
That is your own idea of Him.

But He says:

Mal. 3:6 “For I am Jehovah; I do not change. (...)"

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ElieG12 the only part of him that doesn’t change in is his love. He continues to love all people, believer or not. Jesus paid for the sins of the world.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 32:14 And Jehovah repented of the evil which he said he would do unto his people.

@ElieG12, it looks like God changed his mind here.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ElieG12 the only part of him that doesn’t change in is his love. He continues to love all people, believer or not. Jesus paid for the sins of the world.
That's not what He says ... it is what you say.

He says:

Is. 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah,
“Yes, my servant whom I have chosen,
So that you may know and have faith in me
And understand that I am the same One.
Before me no God was formed,
And after me there has been none.

Do you know Who is Jesus' God?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ElieG12, Yes. I do. I believe in the Son of God, who was God with us in the flesh by virtue of the Holy Spirit of God being in his flesh, and having been the very WORD of God. Today he is back on the throne as the Lord God Almighty, and I believe Yahava is the Father who was his Father, who adopts people as his children by faith.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ElieG12, Yes. I do. I believe in the Son of God, who was God with us in the flesh by virtue of the Holy Spirit of God being in his flesh. Today he is back on the throne as the Lord God Almighty, and I believe Yahava is the Father who was his Father, who adopts people as his children by faith.
Thanks for sharing what you believe.

Have a good day. :)

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I share what the Bible says.

1 Cor. 6:9 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it good to practice lies? Or even falsely joke around and it end up hurting someone? No. It’s not, is there times where you may end up using a lie? Probably, and whiles it is not good to make a habit out of, just hold your tongue if you can?

Reactions: marks

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The foundation is in Jesus' teachings in the gospels. Examples...
Interesting.
You and I see this very differently. Which is fine.
Here's my take. (for what it's worth)

In Luke 6 the disciples are accused of breaking Sabbath. Jesus essentially tells the Pharisees that the point of the commandment is rest, not religious observance, and that fixing themselves a snack is lawful as part of resting. As long as the intent of the commandment is upheld, the commandment is upheld... and the letter of the law be damned.
The disciples WERE breaking the Sabbath.
Sabbath was introduced in Exodus chapter 16 with the Manna collection.
Food was to be put aside the day before to observe the Sabbath rest.
Confirmed by the fact that there was no Manna to collect on the seventh day.

Therefore the most BASIC violation of Sabbath rest is collecting food to eat on the Sabbath.
And Jesus implicates himself with his David and his companions example.

In Mark 7, Jesus condemns the practice of donating money/property to the temple as a way of legal avoidance of the commandment to support their aged parents. Again, the intent of the commandment (supporting the aged in retirement) is more important than the letter of the law.
That wasn't a law from God.

In the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-7), Jesus goes through a laundry list of OT Commandments, saying "you've heard it said... but I say to you..." He contradicts the idea of "enforce these against each other" (which is to say, by bringing each other before the judge) and instead internalizes them as "enforce these upon yourself." I might summarize the whole thing as "stop trying to figure out what you can get away with, and instead aim to uphold the intent of the commandments."
The "You have heard it said... but I tell you" statements treat the law as hearsay.
He was replacing the law with his own, not honoring the law.

None of that is an explicit statement of the principle, but when we examine Jesus' argument inductively, that's the logic we see behind them. Paul may state it more clearly...
There it is (below), but not clear at all.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
The NIV says it this way:
But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law
so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

The new way of the Spirit, not in the old way of the law. (the written code)

The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Corinthians 3:6)

Hmmm... maybe not as explicitly stated as I remember. I sort of read between the lines, like... serve in newness of the spirit [of the Law], and not in the oldness of the letter [of the Law]. But Paul spends a good amount of time contrasting Spirit with Law in several letters, and this is what I understand him to mean.
The term "the spirit of the law" is secular, not biblical. IMHO

/