Is Obedience a Condition of Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing and believing on the Son for all Salvation was conditioned on and caused by the Obedience of One Jesus Christ Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Seeing and believing on Jesus is what occurs after Christ makes one righteous by His Obedience.
My friend

You have to chose.

God will not make your decision for you.

He who believes is not condemned, he who does not believe is condemned already.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those who are obeying his commandments are abiding in Him, and He in them. And only those who are born again of the Spirit belong to Christ. So @brightfame52 you can't base your whole eternity on not understanding the rest of the Bible. We are so close to His coming you can't just debate one verse. It is time to become holy for without holiness no man shall see God. Hebrews 12:14. Stop messing around and everyone do what they can to be mindful of becoming perfect.

I had to choose today whether I was going to be hurt and angry with someone I've known all my life who betrayed me this week like I've done all my life in cases like this, or stop and say, No, Jesus is coming I HAVE TO FORGIVE HER and not let her see that she even hurt me. We have to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
you have this backwards. You always put obedience first. It’s not first. It is a result

only those who are abiding are obedient.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Obedience a Condition of Salvation?
An obedient (& surrendered) heart is, but God does not expect us to get it right on the first try.
Sanctification is a process.

Jesus said,
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV​

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you say you have no sin you decieve yourself and there is no truth in you
Don't you read in context? 1 John 1:8 is explained in the next chapter:
SAYS/SAY (John's Key Words)
1 John 2
4 He who SAYS, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
9 He who SAYS he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.

1 John 1
6 If we SAY that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 1 John 2:9
8 If we SAY that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 2:4
10 If we SAY that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 2:4

And EVERYONE in the Old Testament had a sin nature before Christ. That is why since Adam, all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3. You didn't even attempt to prove your false statement with Scripture. Unfortunately for you, I know Scripture.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look to Gods grace. That is what gives us power over sin..

Not trying to not sin and obey in order to be saved. All that does is make you deceive yourself. Because you have to think you are better than you are.. or you to would know you were condemned where you stand
God's grace is the power of God INSIDE us. IF we have been born again of the Spirit. We are in the gospel of grace. Look at Romans 1:16-17, 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” Those who have believed doctrines of demons over the Word of God as in these Scriptures DO NOT have the power of the Holy Spirit abiding in them. They have been brainwashed to always consider themselves sinners. Proverbs 23:7 For as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.

Do not be ignorant of the wiles of the devil and believe the false doctrine that contradicts what Jesus accomplished like 1 John 1:8 out of context. It contradicts why Jesus even came to die for us. 1 John 3:5-9
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Jesus took away the source of my sin, the sin nature. Now I have a human nature with free will, but empowered by the Holy Spirit so supernaturally do not sin because I have the seed of the Father within me. 1 John 3:9 above.

• Love
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That was in response to one of the people on here that says obedience is not a condition of salvation. Just belief in the obedience of Christ. He repeats it so often I doubt he's read the rest of the Bible. So he know's Christ as well as Hitler does.
Obedience comes after the birth....even then we have to understand and learn what it means, through reading the living word of God.

We don’t even know what obedience is, when we are a new babe....we learn ,grow mature in the Spirit,he is the one who indwells us, he’s a living Spirit....therefore we completely rely on him to guide us through his Spirit.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The only obedience necessary to save someone is the obedience of Christ. By His obedience alone many shall be made righteous/saved Rom 5:19

more Calvinistic misrepresentation of The Gospel as Proclaimed by Jesus Christ Himself

It is very clear to ALL, except a few of the so called "Reformed" camp, that, for a sinner to be truly saved, they MUST first "REPENT and BELIEVE", as Jesus says in Mark 1:15. And, to make 100% SURE what Jesus means by REPENT, He Himself clarifies this in Luke 24:47, "and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem"

Which is exactly what Peter told those who heard his Gospel Message in Acts 2, when they asked, "what must we DO? (Acts 2:37)". Notice the word DO. Peter does NOT say, "you DO nothing", but, "And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (v.38)

Even the more BIBLICAL "Reformed" teachers, like Calvin, Hodge, Murray, Pink, are VERY CLEAR, that without REPENTING OF YOUR SINS, you cannot be saved!

REPENTING is NOT a "work" that a sinner "earns", but the OBEDIENCE of what the Bible Commands that all sinners must do!

Neither is REPENTANCE "given" only to the "elect", as some falsely teach, but is the inward convicting of God the Holy Spirit in the heart of the lost, as Jesus says, "And when He (the Holy Spirit) is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on Me" (John 16:8-9). This REPROVE is what those who heard Peter in Acts chapter 2 experienced, "they were pricked in their heart" (2:37)

No REPENTANCE and FAITH = NO salvation!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus took away the source of my sin, the sin nature. Now I have a human nature with free will, but empowered by the Holy Spirit so supernaturally do not sin because I have the seed of the Father within me. 1 John 3:9 above.
You were birthed in the Holy Spirit were you not?

Where does the Spirit of God dwell in you...your spirit...

Explain , he dwells in our spirit.....I’m trying to understand this nature, you are talking about?

Is our nature separate from our spirit?

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"REPENT and BELIEVE
Yes!...I’ve been trying to get that message across on another forum...it’s God who brings us to repentance and belief....I’m not saying he believes for us...but, he definitely brings us to repentance and belief...as it’s his will to do so.

I said God led me to repentance, before I was birthed in the Spirit...I didn’t know before I was birthed, that it was sin,I just knew I had done a lot of wrong in my life and hurt a lot of people..I was very upset,I’m not going into detail as it was a very private time..after that, thats when he birthed me....he was obviously watching me ,leading and drawing me to Jesus, unbeknown to me at the time....I was sorry before I was birthed ,my belief and testimony 100% and it will never change.

2 Corinthians 7:10 Amplified Bible (AMP)
For [godly] sorrow that is in accord with the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but worldly sorrow [the hopeless sorrow of those who do not believe] produces death

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Now I have a human nature with free will, but empowered by the Holy Spirit so supernaturally do not sin because I have the seed of the Father within me. 1 John 3:9 above.
You have a human nature with free will...are you being serious?

We have a new nature..that new nature is in Christ...we are one with him through the Spirit...

1 Corinthians 6:17​

“But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.”

2 Peter 1:3-4​

King James Version​

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you read in context? 1 John 1:8 is explained in the next chapter:
SAYS/SAY (John's Key Words)
1 John 2
4 He who SAYS, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
9 He who SAYS he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.

1 John 1
6 If we SAY that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 1 John 2:9
8 If we SAY that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 2:4
10 If we SAY that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 2:4

And EVERYONE in the Old Testament had a sin nature before Christ. That is why since Adam, all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3. You didn't even attempt to prove your false statement with Scripture. Unfortunately for you, I know Scripture.
So 1 John 2 contradicts 1 John 1?

come on you really do not want me to think you believe that do you?

not only that, does it say they are without sin in chapter 2? of course not.

read again vs 8. of we say we have no sin (are sinless) we decieve ourselves

vs 10 speaks of our past. if we say we have not sinned.. we make him a liar.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's grace is the power of God INSIDE us. IF we have been born again of the Spirit. We are in the gospel of grace. Look at Romans 1:16-17, 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” Those who have believed doctrines of demons over the Word of God as in these Scriptures DO NOT have the power of the Holy Spirit abiding in them. They have been brainwashed to always consider themselves sinners. Proverbs 23:7 For as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.

Do not be ignorant of the wiles of the devil and believe the false doctrine that contradicts what Jesus accomplished like 1 John 1:8 out of context. It contradicts why Jesus even came to die for us. 1 John 3:5-9
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

so you really think you have no sin?

You must be higher than Paul and Peter both then.

both of them continued to sin.and lets not forget abraham and david.

are you greater than them?

God forbid I ever think I have made it and no longer need to run the race before me, because I have lost the need for God and his grace

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
so you really think you have no sin?

You must be higher than Paul and Peter both then.

both of them continued to sin.and lets not forget abraham and david.

are you greater than them?

God forbid I ever think I have made it and no longer need to run the race before me, because I have lost the need for God and his grace
Hey EG....do you believe in the sanctification process?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!...I’ve been trying to get that message across on another forum...it’s God who brings us to repentance and belief....I’m not saying he believes for us...but, he definitely brings us to repentance and belief...as it’s his will to do so.

I said God led me to repentance, before I was birthed in the Spirit...I didn’t know before I was birthed, that it was sin,I just knew I had done a lot of wrong in my life and hurt a lot of people..I was very upset,I’m not going into detail as it was a very private time..after that, thats when he birthed me....he was obviously watching me ,leading and drawing me to Jesus, unbeknown to me at the time....I was sorry before I was birthed ,my belief and testimony 100% and it will never change.

2 Corinthians 7:10 Amplified Bible (AMP)
For [godly] sorrow that is in accord with the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but worldly sorrow [the hopeless sorrow of those who do not believe] produces death
Amen

If we do not repent. we will never come to true saving faith

sadly many claim to have faith, but have no repentance. The claim to trust God. but in their actions and their words you see their faith is still in self..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So 1 John 2 contradicts 1 John 1?

come on you really do not want me to think you believe that do you?

not only that, does it say they are without sin in chapter 2? of course not.

read again vs 8. of we say we have no sin (are sinless) we decieve ourselves

vs 10 speaks of our past. if we say we have not sinned.. we make him a liar.
Brother, I am still trying to understand this sin business....after we become Born from above?
Amen

If we do not repent. we will never come to true saving faith

sadly many claim to have faith, but have no repentance. The claim to trust God. but in their actions and their words you see their faith is still in self..
Amen!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey EG....do you believe in the sanctification process?
Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Being sanctified is a process.. God will continue to sanctify us until we recieve our new bodies..and are glorified

at the same time, I am positionally sanctified or "perfected" forever.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Being sanctified is a process.. God will continue to sanctify us until we recieve our new bodies..and are glorified

at the same time, I am positionally sanctified or "perfected" forever.
Excellent!...Amen!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I am still trying to understand this sin business....after we become Born from above?
I think the issue is people look at sin like the pharisees did.

Thou shalt not....

And they do not see sin as God see sin

Putting your needs above another

so one can look to the written law and decieve themselves into thinking they are sinless.. because they are not looking to the truth.. As Jesus said, the law says thou shalt not ......, But I tell you....

I can look to the letter and say I have never cheated on my spouse. I am a command keeper

yet every pretty lady I see, well my mind goes where it should not

to God that is sin....but I can be decieved and say it is not sin, because I did not do the act

Status
Not open for further replies.