Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?
"The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco."

That's how we know it's not a sin. If the question needs be asked, we know it's not, otherwise we can just quote the Scripture saying so.

When it comes to law, byte which there is transgression, God uses great plainness of speech.

Which of these is sin and which not:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor smokers, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor nor drinkers, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, not gamblers, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

"However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin."

There is no 'however' with God. If He wants to label sin, He does so. He doesn't leave it to speculation and confusion, to determine what sin is and who is a transgressor of His law.

And using the 'spirit' of the law to make law only adds letters to the law to judge and kill faith with.

Law of God does not take a paragraph of explanation to declare it.

Obedience to the common faith (Rom 1:5) pertains to the law of Christ. Personal faith is worked out with God personally:

Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom 14)

"showing that God does not approve of unhealthy habits"

Where is that written? "Thous shalt not do unhealthy things" Or "Thou shalt only do that which is healthy"

ONe man's pleasure is another man's unhealthiness, and one man's healthiness is another man's despair.

That is why God has His law objectively for all, and we don't make law subjectively for others by ourselves.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1)

The only thing the devil ever made on earth was a lie.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (Rom 14:14)

As am I.
The operative words being 'I say'.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One also can take into account different perceptions at different times.

It may be that many Christians today will conclude that it's very sensible to stop smoking, especially since in recent decades there has been publicity about its adverse health effects.

However, some of the taboos around smoking among certain independent churches in North America may relate to fashionable thinking during the so-called Progressive Era (between the American Civil War and World War One), when all sorts of other ideas also were prevalent in the United States; these included trying to stop black people from having children (yes, really!!— this is something which has not been carried forward), hostility to women smoking (it's on record that at the beginning of the 20th century a woman in New York City was even arrested in the street for smoking a cigarette).

Then came World War One and suddenly huge numbers of women were involved in organized groups sending cigarettes to the troops on the Western Front; and by the 1920s the pendulum had swung completely in the other direction. Gone were the wispy, long tresses fashionable 15 - 20 years previously and in came the Brooks bob cuts and cloche hats and huge numbers of women had soon taken up smoking confidently and un-self-consciously, to the extent that many who reached adulthood around the 20s or 30s might not even have been able to conceive of a time when one did not naturally and automatically keep and reach for a pack of cigarettes in one's purse.

Now the pendulum has swung again, so to speak; and indeed it may be very sensible to quit smoking. But revealed Christian doctrine in the Word is not directly related to the latest customs or taboos. (A little like tattoos, really; in the Victorian era it was quite common for women - especially of the upper classes - to visit tattoo artists; then it went out of fashion; now it's come full circle again.)

Reactions: Pearl

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? I am unfamiliar with that. Do you actually know who the first witness of Jehovah was, and in fact still is sir? It is recorded in the Bible.

I am very health conscious. I believe that we are healthier than people of the world, but I could very well be in error on that. We are all subject to sin and death, but I do my utmost to be healthy. Matter of fact as a faith, we are still not meeting physically because we value our health. I do eat badly, but combine the bad with the good. I truly do not like to brag, and I dress very modestly, but I am built quite well, ugly as sin for sure, but have worked out most of my life, although projects have gotten me to forego my workouts for the last 2 months, normally I work out 6 times a week, and bicycle on avg around 25 miles a week.

I am not saying everyone among Jehovah's witnesses are that health conscious, but none of us use illegal drugs, or smoke, likely some of us overeat and drink, but like you we consider that a sin as well.

May I ask why you have no interest in being one of Jehovah's witnesses?

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/founder/

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco."

That's how we know it's not a sin. If the question needs be asked, we know it's not, otherwise we can just quote the Scripture saying so.

When it comes to law, byte which there is transgression, God uses great plainness of speech.

Which of these is sin and which not:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor smokers, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor nor drinkers, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, not gamblers, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

"However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin."

There is no 'however' with God. If He wants to label sin, He does so. He doesn't leave it to speculation and confusion, to determine what sin is and who is a transgressor of His law.

And using the 'spirit' of the law to make law only adds letters to the law to judge and kill faith with.

Law of God does not take a paragraph of explanation to declare it.

Obedience to the common faith (Rom 1:5) pertains to the law of Christ. Personal faith is worked out with God personally:

Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom 14)

"showing that God does not approve of unhealthy habits"

Where is that written? "Thous shalt not do unhealthy things" Or "Thou shalt only do that which is healthy"

ONe man's pleasure is another man's unhealthiness, and one man's healthiness is another man's despair.

That is why God has His law objectively for all, and we don't make law subjectively for others by ourselves.

Some say it is a sin, others do not Bob. Me personally I say it is a sin, a disregard for the sanctity of life, as well as a very unloving thing to do to others. I cannot imagine that Jehovah or Jesus would approve of it, but of course time will reveal whether it is or isn't a sin.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some say it is a sin, others do not Bob. Me personally I say it is a sin, a disregard for the sanctity of life, as well as a very unloving thing to do to others. I cannot imagine that Jehovah or Jesus would approve of it, but of course time will reveal whether it is or isn't a sin.
Some say it is a sin, Scripture does not.

What we imagine about Jesus matters nothing, but only what Scripture says is so.

Time has already told: not written, no sin.

The problem with people trying to teach law and sin and transgression is they don't know what they are talking about, because they end up doing so from their own opinions and personal faith for themselves, rather than sticking to what God actually says, or does not say about it.

Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. (1 Tim 1:7)

I.e. when it comes to ministry, preaching, teaching our personal convictions matter nothing to God, nor should it to other believers, and it certainly doesn't to me, because I have learned better.

Now, if believers are in company with one another, then personal convictions matter. I would not violate any rule of your household, just because I am free to do so in my own, such as smoking. Mutual respect for one another's personal convictions is the Scriptural 'loving thing to do to others'.

It's very simple: when it comes to personal conviction in one's own house, their convictions rule over themselves and any visitors. This is right authority over one's own house and life. But to then try and push those household rules on others as community law for all, is when the door shuts.

Most Christians do not make this simple distinction in ministry and teaching and preaching: they think just because they think it, like it, or are convicted by it, everyone else has to be also. It's called dominating the faith, and judging others by their own conscience. (1 Cor 10:29)

Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. (2 Cor 1:24)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Example Pearl?
You know perfectly well @Robert Gwin, so you really don't need me to tell you so that you can then accuse me of being wrong. I'm sure you're a very nice man but I'm backing off because this is a futile discussion now. You asked the question in your original post but you already thought you knew the answer so I wonder why you asked unless it was to stir things up.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask if Isa 43:10 was written before that sir?

Who was the first witness of Jehovah? Rev 1:5 gives the answer.

The JW organization was started by one man, Charles Russel. So don't try to say JW members are justified just because they pronounce a translated version of one of God's names like 'Jehovah', when His real Name is YHVH, and pronounced as YaHaVeH.

Reactions: Pearl

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?

A friend of mine said smoking won't send you to hell but it sure makes you smell as if you have been there.

Reactions: Robert Gwin

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know perfectly well @Robert Gwin, so you really don't need me to tell you so that you can then accuse me of being wrong. I'm sure you're a very nice man but I'm backing off because this is a futile discussion now. You asked the question in your original post but you already thought you knew the answer so I wonder why you asked unless it was to stir things up.

Did I? Perhaps you might show me where? Accusations are synonymous. It is true I think you are wrong, therefore by the same token you believe I am wrong. Accuse is a much harsher word, but likewise you are accusing me to the same degree. My wishes is to have a scriptural discussion by posting a topic. Normally something as simple as this would not draw out aggression as much as say talking about abortion, but some make it that way. I put the post out, many believe smoking is not a sin, many do. It either is or it isnt. I gave reasoning points on it, as well as others have. Each of us must decide for ourselves what truth is. There are facts about smoking, not just from me, but from authoritative individuals. I promote things more from a religious side. But like I said, you have to make the choice, as you answer for those choices same as I.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The JW organization was started by one man, Charles Russel. So don't try to say JW members are justified just because they pronounce a translated version of one of God's names like 'Jehovah', when His real Name is YHVH, and pronounced as YaHaVeH.

No sir, as the Bible points out Jehovah has had witnesses even before He created humans. True there was a period of apostasy where Christianity seemed to die out, but the Bible assures us that when the last days started His people would be regathered Isa 2:2,3; Micah 4:1-5

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine said smoking won't send you to hell but it sure makes you smell as if you have been there.

Actually Marksman, it has sent a great deal there early according to statistics anyway. Of course one would have to know what hell actually is sir. It is not the torturous eternal volcano of fire that many promote.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Too many people forget about those latter 'sins' in which I would also include pride and intolerance.
@Pearl Like you imply, I really wouldn't compare such a catalogue of sins with the mere act of inhaling.

I think you once mentioned your dear mom with her pack in her apron pocket.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl In North America some of the smaller independent churches are very legalistic. I think that in the UK there is less of a tendency among Christians to make sweeping judgments according to superficial, legalistic ideas.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One also can take into account different perceptions at different times.

It may be that many Christians today will conclude that it's very sensible to stop smoking, especially since in recent decades there has been publicity about its adverse health effects.

However, some of the taboos around smoking among certain independent churches in North America may relate to fashionable thinking during the so-called Progressive Era (between the American Civil War and World War One), when all sorts of other ideas also were prevalent in the United States; these included trying to stop black people from having children (yes, really!!— this is something which has not been carried forward), hostility to women smoking (it's on record that at the beginning of the 20th century a woman in New York City was even arrested in the street for smoking a cigarette).

Then came World War One and suddenly huge numbers of women were involved in organized groups sending cigarettes to the troops on the Western Front; and by the 1920s the pendulum had swung completely in the other direction. Gone were the wispy, long tresses fashionable 15 - 20 years previously and in came the Brooks bob cuts and cloche hats and huge numbers of women had soon taken up smoking confidently and un-self-consciously, to the extent that many who reached adulthood around the 20s or 30s might not even have been able to conceive of a time when one did not naturally and automatically keep and reach for a pack of cigarettes in one's purse.

Now the pendulum has swung again, so to speak; and indeed it may be very sensible to quit smoking. But revealed Christian doctrine in the Word is not directly related to the latest customs or taboos. (A little like tattoos, really; in the Victorian era it was quite common for women - especially of the upper classes - to visit tattoo artists; then it went out of fashion; now it's come full circle again.)

Absolutely not....smoking is not a sin. Of course tobacco was not known until the America's were discovered.
Neither is the concept....there is no discussion of exercise or proper eating to better your health.
And the whole your body is a temple thing does not fly because as Christ It is not what enters the mouth that defiles the person, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles the person.

There is a lot of this. Nearly 2000 years of men making up rules. Why? Some trying to prove they are better than others because of what they do not do. So much so that in a lot of ways Christianity has become a "don't doers" religion, instead of the good you should do.
Various sins within various beliefs. Pay attention to biblical sins.
Tobacco use
Sexual desire
Sex
Tithing
Various types of music
Drinking alcoholic beverages
Drinking coffee…caffeine...soda
Eating pork
Gambling
Cards and dice and board games
Women wearing pants
Women wearing shorts
Women wearing make-up
Women wearing jewelry
Women wearing dresses above the knees
Women working outside the home
Men with long hair
Women with short hair
Tattoos
Dancing
Going to the swimming pool…swimming with mixed sexes.
Physical sports such as boxing and football
Military service
Law enforcement
Self-defense or the defense of others
The use of any other bible other than the King James Version
Visiting or associating with other denominational churches
Not belonging to a denomination
Watching television
The use of vehicles
The general use of any modern devices
The Catholic set of man-made laws could add several dozen to this list of which most are a matter of physical and belief control.
I am sure there are more….

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the laws of clean and unclean animals were ceremonial, as proven by the post flood statement from God to Noah that they could eat literally everything that moves, and by God flat out telling Peter that He has cleansed all the animals and thus told Peter he could now eat formerly unclean animals, and by Paul talking about eating meat, and saying that nothing is unclean of itself - thus smoking cant be lumped in with eating formerly unclean meats, as an unhealthy sin.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All the laws of clean and unclean animals were ceremonial, as proven by the post flood statement from God to Noah that they could eat literally everything that moves, and by God flat out telling Peter that He has cleansed all the animals and thus told Peter he could now eat formerly unclean animals, and by Paul talking about eating meat, and saying that nothing is unclean of itself - thus smoking cant be lumped in with eating formerly unclean meats, as an unhealthy sin.
Interesting perspective...