Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it is not just matter conscience to you, but also of law, as you said before.

I feel that it is a sin, based on principle not on law.

The real point here is your duplicity.

Neither smoking, nor drinking, nor money, nor sex, nor drugs, nor caffeine, nor food, nor anything made in the world by man through the intelligence of Christ is unclean and sinful transgression of the law of Christ.

Lust abusing any such thing makes them sin and unclean.

The only time they are sin themselves for a particular individual, is when the personal conscience is weak towards it, and so the weak individual makes a zero-tolerance policy for himself.

Which is perfectly fine, but then to go on and judge others by their own forbidding fruit, is to become a lawmaker and false judge over others' liberty.

If you're not going to be honest with yourself about what you are doing, then there is no reasonable case to be made.

I.e. I have absolutely no problem judging anyone as a sinner and false witness of Christ by fornication, because I can easily quote several Scriptures plainly saying it is transgression of Christ's law.

You have no Scripture to quote, but only your own weak conscience and mind of false judgment upon others.

I bear witness of Christ according to Scriptures. You bear witness of yourself.

Many of them did however, but out of love for Him and neighbor, have successfully quit.

I don't smoke at this time, but if I did, then I would not do so before someone truly weak of conscience about it.

But since you are a lawmaker, trying to make his weak conscience into some sort of strength of faith, I would gladly light up in front of you. In fact, if I knew I was around such as you, I would light up whether I really wanted to smoke or not, just to put your lawmaking pride in its place by my liberty in the Lord.

Nothing personal. I have just learned the hard way to reject out of hand false lawmakers and judges.

Actually Rob it is a law to Jehovah's people. Although it is based upon principle, the governing body of Jehovah's witnesses has determined that those who choose to smoke cannot be a part of our faith. So one has to decide if they are in fact the faithful slave that Jesus assigned to shepherd his sheep until his return or not. Do you think the Bible identifies the faith beyond reasonable doubt?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Rob it is a law to Jehovah's people. Although it is based upon principle, the governing body of Jehovah's witnesses has determined that those who choose to smoke cannot be a part of our faith. So one has to decide if they are in fact the faithful slave that Jesus assigned to shepherd his sheep until his return or not. Do you think the Bible identifies the faith beyond reasonable doubt?
Seriously. JW law. Right. Got it.

As Lassiter said to the Mormons in 'Riders of the Purple Sage': "I care nothing for JW law."

And so, yes, I certainly would light up in front of JW.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So one has to decide if they are in fact the faithful slave

Jhn 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

I wonder if the reason why smoker's exist is for the purpose of exposing the nature of the heart in those who don't.
iu

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously. JW law. Right. Got it.

As Lassiter said to the Mormons in 'Riders of the Purple Sage': "I care nothing for JW law."

And so, yes, I certainly would light up in front of JW.

Like Bobby Brown said sir, that is your prerogative.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

I wonder if the reason why smoker's exist is for the purpose of exposing the nature of the heart in those who don't.
iu

I don't think so, but it clearly exposes their respect for God's greatest gift, the gift of life.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Reactions: amadeus

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like Bobby Brown said sir, that is your prerogative.
Dittoes.

Live and let live within the law of God, I say.

Now, if any had personal distaste for smoking, even in my own house, then I would be hospital and not smoke while they are my guest.

And if I were invited to a smokers home, and I knew it, then I would decide beforehand not to show distaste, if I accepted.

It's called adult courtesies.

There is no courtesy in making one's own conscience or sect's religious rule into law of God, with which to judge and condemn good believers by.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

iu
There is no courtesy in making one's own conscience or sect's religious rule into law of God, with which to judge and condemn good believers by.

All such join the false accuser of the brethren.

No matter how 'respectfully' they go about it.

Afterall, Satan himself transforms himself to an angel of light, though from Scripture we know he is a snake and a dragon.

One of the worst oppressive tyrannies is when people care more about others, especially their own 'health', than they even need care for themselves.

Scripture calls it being busybodies in other peoples' affairs, and is placed right alongside murderers, thieves, and evildoers. (1 Peter 4:15)

Such fascists of the present sort are properly called Anti-Smoking Nazis.

They are destroyers of personnel liberty of others for the sake of their own most-holy grail.

Once they are allowed to go down that road by others, it never ends. Being given such power over others can become a lifetime's quest.

No matter how chivalrous.

But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

Reactions: Ziggy

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but I believe designating smoking as 'sin' only empowers it.

True. The moment some holier-than-thou lawmaker begins calling sin what is not sin to God, is when people that love liberty begin to purposely defy it, even if they wouldn't have cared to partake of it beforehand.

There was a sign on a major city intersection that read "Absolutely no machete juggling!"

And one businessman turned to the other waiting at the corner and asked him "Why do I suddenly want to juggle machetes?"

Reactions: Ziggy

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So one has to decide if they are in fact the faithful slave...

To Jesus' rule according to Scripture, or men's commandments according to self-righteous pride.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so, but it clearly exposes their respect for God's greatest gift, the gift of life.

Yes, I am always glad to be exposed for my respect for liberty. Without personal liberty, there is no life.

Give me liberty, or give me death.

The downfall of a great nation and people, is when they allow personal liberty to be taken away by self-righteous busybodies posing as 'saviors'.

Especially the 'respectful' ones.

It is a pernicious and devilish corruptive pride in opposition to admonishing and exhorting one another in the rule of Christ according to the Scriptures.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the governing body of Jehovah's witnesses has determined that those who choose to smoke cannot be a part of our faith.

1. Proof that it is not law of Christ; otherwise, everyone would be able to read it for themselves in Scripture.

2. Proof of the source of cultism: Making up personal rules to separate themselves from the body of Christ and to judge members thereof as not being of 'the faith': unsaved, unholy heathen. Friends of the world rather than lovers of God. Rebellious children.

They turn their own faith into that of Jesus. They make their own head over themselves instead of Christ.

That is all plainly obvious and easily discarded as so much rubbish of man. It's just the oh-so 'polite' and 'caring' way in which they go about their self-righteousness that makes it so pernicious.

I'd much rather have some good old Pentecostal 'holiness' type tell me smoking is a sin, and I'm going to hell for it, if I don't repent, then all that polished pseudo-respectful virtue posing:

The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.

And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness.

Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
@Ziggy; the Lord Jesus exactly pinpoints the defilement as coming inwardly from the heart, which consequently needs conversion spiritually, rather than being an external thing.

The reverse of the priorities of the Pharisees, right?

Reactions: Truman and Ziggy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although it is based upon principle, the governing body of Jehovah's witnesses has determined that those who choose to smoke cannot be a part of our faith.
It's pretty much the same in the Seventh-day Adventist church. It's considered to be a violation of the commandment not to kill as well as the concept of destroying the temple of the Holy Spirit. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi! Newbie here. I don't understand what is wrong with JW's saying you can't join the church if you smoke. They are not the only church One can always go somewhere else. Anyway, I think if it bothers you to smoke, then maybe God is trying to tell you something. I am not going to say one way or the other. I am the chief of sinners, and I have no business telling anyone they are sinning when I look back on my life and see all of the evil I have done.
What I wanted to do here is to tell how I was able to stop smoking. I smoked for 40 years plus, and a few years ago, the Holy spirit started bothering me a bit about it. I smoked a lot, and it was next to impossible for me to quit. I know people that said the Lord took their desire away, but mine wasn't going anywhere. I had a friend who had started vaping, and I didn't know what that was. After I found out how it works, I bought an ecigarette (which was tons cheaper than reg cigs) and bought tobacco flavored e juice. I think it was 27% or something. I got used to doing that instead of smoking,(this takes a bit) and within a few days, I got my second wind back. My voice, which was raspy, became so much better that someone who I hadn't seen in awhile, when they heard me, thought I'd had throat surgery. (I stayed at 27% for about 6 months) Then I went down to 18% ejuice, and the Spirit was still bothering me, so I got down all the way to zero % ejuice. It tasted just like a cigarette, but 0 nicotine. After 2 weeks of that , I was able to quit, because the nicotine was out of my system. Even though the Lord hadn't taken the craving away, I believe He helped with the whole implementation of the stop smoking plan. It's been 5 years since I've had a smoke, my lungs are clear, and I'm thankful it's gone. So once again, thank you Lord. ♥
Amen.

And if more Christians gave testimony about God's help in a personal habit as you do, without going on to make a separate religion by law about it, then there would be much more edifying unity in the body of Christ.

Your testimony on smoking is the same as mine on drinking.

I was a drunkard and Jesus delivered me from drunkenness, by power to abstain completely for many years, so that I had no desire for alcohol at all. I was not an 'alcoholic' forced into 'confessing' alcoholism every day to remain sober. In process of time, I began to drink again by desire, with it no longer having the rule over me, but I the rule over it. (1 Cor 6:12)

It's called richly enjoying all things of the earth, partaking thereof freely by the Spirit with faith. (1 Tom 6:17)

Smoking was sin to you, and alcohol was sin to me, because of lust corrupting them to become so.

And this is why Jesus came into the world to die on the cross, that we might be delivered from the lust of the world, that corrupts all things clean of themselves, whether smoking, drinking, eating, sex, dress, etc...

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand what is wrong with JW's saying you can't join the church if you smoke. They are not the only church One can always go somewhere else.

'Their' church, not The church.

It is their church, which they have separated to themselves from the church and body of Jesus Christ. It's called division making, and is condemned as ministerally destructive to the body. (1 Cor 3)

Because they also go on to reject the followers of Jesus as being in 'the faith' of God.

Like Korah of old claiming his own holiness in opposition to Moses, they have separated themselves from the children and sheep of God, that hear Jesus only.

And Moses said unto Korah, Hear, I pray you, ye sons of Levi: Seemeth it but a small thing unto you, that the God of Israel hath separated you from the congregation of Israel...

And so, it is no small thing to make one's own 'church' separate from the rest of the body, by claiming special holiness through rules of their own making, that are not at all written in Scripture of truth.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good if ppl can quit. But I struggle with the whole legalism thing.
No need to struggle brother.

Just continue in the liberty of the faith that pleases the Lord, even if not all men.

It's only Him and His Word we answer to. Not men and their rules.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.