Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?

Love God
Love your neighbour as you love yourself

Smoking isn't loving yourself .

And maybe not your neighbour if you smoke in front of them

Reactions: Robert Gwin

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl The mere act of inhaling in itself would be hard to classify as bad. Spurgeon the preacher smoked; various posters on this site, Godly women, etc., say they do it also; I think @Ziggy, @VictoryinJesus and others...

yeah but I sure wish I could quit. When I was a teen I did it to fit in. At the time I never knew most of those that I was trying to fit in with would be long gone when I entered my fifties. But the habit of cigarettes would stay with me long after that desire to fit in and still today have a strong hold on me. It stinks. Cigarette butts are all over the yard, the ashes are filthy. We bought cushions and rugs for our outside porch and it is all already getting soiled from nicotine and ash dropping. Not to mention our family and visitors walking and sitting in the middle of it, having to breathe it up. It is a constant never-ending picking up butts and puffing away and I’m always asking why? For me it is a bondage for sure. Wake up and do it all over again.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
yeah but I sure wish I could quit. When I was a teen I did it to fit in. At the time I never knew most of those that I was trying to fit in with would be long gone when I entered my fifties. But the habit of cigarettes would stay with me long after that desire to fit in and still today have a strong hold on me. It stinks. Cigarette butts are all over the yard, the ashes are filthy. We bought cushions and rugs for our outside porch and it is all already getting soiled from nicotine and ash dropping. Not to mention our family and visitors walking and sitting in the middle of it, having to breathe it up. It is a constant never-ending picking up butts and puffing away and I’m always asking why? For me it is a bondage for sure.
@VictoryinJesus You could always try vaping, I guess. With vapes you can gradually decrease the amount of nicotine that you put in.

Spurgeon smoked and this didn't stop him being a mighty, faithful servant of God. (I don't get the taboos and moralizing approach to smoking...)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus You could always try vaping, I guess. With vapes you can gradually decrease the amount of nicotine that you put in.

Spurgeon smoked and this didn't stop him being a mighty, faithful servant of God. (I don't get the taboos and moralizing approach to smoking...)

(Imo) I’m not saying God loves me less for smoking. Personally I think it is the hate in my heart He is more concerned with. But still I can’t help seeing it as a bondage of nothing new where everyday it is the same…sometimes at night I’ll convince myself I won’t smoke that first cigarette of the day but I always do. And then another.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
(Imo) I’m not saying God loves me less for smoking. Personally I think it is the hate in my heart He is more concerned with. But still I can’t help seeing it as a bondage of nothing new where everyday it is the same…sometimes at night I’ll convince myself I won’t smoke that first cigarette of the day but I always do. And then another.
@VictoryinJesus My 2c would be not to beat yourself up; and think of how Spurgeon the smoker was such a great servant of the Lord.

Did you ever try vaping?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus My 2c would be not to beat yourself up; and think of how Spurgeon the smoker was such a great servant of the Lord.

Did you ever try vaping?

I tried vaping and couldn’t inhale without pain. I have an inhaler for asthma and for me vaping feels harsher on breathing in. I cough worse with vaping than with cigarettes. All I’m saying is 1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

I’m not sure how cigarettes edify anyone else but soothe my need to have a crutch. I’m not beating myself up. I’m only trying to recognize it for what it is and call it what it is…a waste of time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I tried vaping and couldn’t inhale without pain. I have an inhaler for asthma and for me vaping feels harsher on breathing in. I cough worse with vaping than with cigarettes. All I’m saying is 1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

I’m not sure how cigarettes edify anyone else but soothe my need to have a crutch. I’m not beating myself up. I’m only trying to recognize it for what it is and call it what it is…a waste of time.
@VictoryinJesus Sorry about your pain which you experienced.

Sounds like cigarettes work better for you.

You've probably already considered it, but depending on the tar levels of the ones you smoke - whatever they are -, going for really low tar cigarettes could also help you cut down, I guess...

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say everything that wasn't created by God is sin from the 8th day onwards even things we consider good as they all are a result of sin.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

All things man ever made on the earth was by the lightening of Christ' intelligence, which makes man in His image and different from the beasts of the field.

The devil never made nor created anything other than a lie.

It is not the things made that are sin, but the lust of the world that defiles everything made, whether sex, money, alcohol, tobacco, business, ministry...

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Zero tolerance rules are for the weak of conscience, which is perfectly fine for them, but they are not to then judge the liberty of others by their weak conscience. (1 Cor 10:29)

Those who are strong in the Word and grown up in Christ are able to richly enjoy all things without lust (1 Tim 6:17), knowing that nothing is unclean of itself:

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (Rom 14:14)

So, while I would never blow smoke in my weak brother's face, neither would I allow my weak brother rule over my liberty in the law of Christ.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love God
Love your neighbour as you love yourself

Smoking isn't loving yourself .

And maybe not your neighbour if you smoke in front of them
How about loving our neighbor by living and let live, and not imposing our personal rules on them to live by, such as smoking isn't loving yourself.

The problem is when people set themselves up as lawgivers to judge others by, without any Scripture to quote.

By Scripture, I know that lying, stealing, fornication, adultery, robbery, murder, drunkenness, etc...is not loving God, nor ourselves, nor our neighbors as ourselves.

How? I can quote the scripture, where God says so.

I also know that falsely ministering our own opinions for doctrine of God id defintly not loving God nor our neighbor.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

And the Scripture of thou shalt not do that which is unhealthy, is where?

Scripture is one thing, personal opinions are another.

False ministry blurs the difference between the two.

One man's unhealthy is another man's healthy, but only the Lord defines sin and righteousness.

I.e. uncleanness of sin not to touch is clearly written for all to read and know plainly.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Woops. I'm sorry. I thought the thread was about what God says.

But, if it's just about peoples' feelings about it, then people are free to feel whatever they want about it.

MY feeling is, if I want to, I do. If I don't want to, I don't.

I pretty much feel the same way about everything every made by man by the intelligence of Christ.

Now, I am weak when it comes to hallucinogenic drugs, so as a personal rule I don't do that.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yeah but I sure wish I could quit. When I was a teen I did it to fit in. At the time I never knew most of those that I was trying to fit in with would be long gone when I entered my fifties. But the habit of cigarettes would stay with me long after that desire to fit in and still today have a strong hold on me. It stinks. Cigarette butts are all over the yard, the ashes are filthy. We bought cushions and rugs for our outside porch and it is all already getting soiled from nicotine and ash dropping. Not to mention our family and visitors walking and sitting in the middle of it, having to breathe it up. It is a constant never-ending picking up butts and puffing away and I’m always asking why? For me it is a bondage for sure. Wake up and do it all over again.

You know maam, even though you are in bondage to it, your testimony here today may reach many hearts and serve as a deterrent for someone who is in the position you were at your starting point. Sadly when we were younger, we didn't have the deterrents we have today either. Thanks for your post Vicki.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know maam, even though you are in bondage to it, your testimony here today may reach many hearts and serve as a deterrent for someone who is in the position you were at your starting point. Sadly when we were younger, we didn't have the deterrents we have today either. Thanks for your post Vicki.
If smoking were a transgression of God's love and law, then God would be the 'deterrent', even as fornication.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the Scripture of thou shalt not do that which is unhealthy, is where?

Scripture is one thing, personal opinions are another.

False ministry blurs the difference between the two.

One man's unhealthy is another man's healthy, but only the Lord defines sin and righteousness.

I.e. uncleanness of sin not to touch is clearly written for all to read and know plainly.

Yes sir, very good point. Laws are direct and clear, principles based on Gods laws set guidelines way above the law, but sadly leave openings for abuse such as some of our leaders were doing in Jesus' day.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Woops. I'm sorry. I thought the thread was about what God says.

But, if it's just about peoples' feelings about it, then people are free to feel whatever they want about it.

MY feeling is, if I want to, I do. If I don't want to, I don't.

I pretty much feel the same way about everything every made by man by the intelligence of Christ.

Now, I am weak when it comes to hallucinogenic drugs, so as a personal rule I don't do that.

I feel that it is a sin, based on principle not on law as you stated in your other post to me Rob.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel that it is a sin, based on principle not on law as you stated in your other post to me Rob.
True. Then by your conscience you avoid such things, as other may avoid meat or drink. None the better that do, and none the worse that don't.

It's just a matter of personal conscience between a believer and their Lord.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If smoking were a transgression of God's love and law, then God would be the 'deterrent', even as fornication.

Yes sir, that is why none of His witnesses smoke. Many of them did however, but out of love for Him and neighbor, have successfully quit. Great point Rob!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, that is why none of His witnesses smoke. Many of them did however, but out of love for Him and neighbor, have successfully quit. Great point Rob!
So it is not just matter conscience to you, but also of law, as you said before.

I feel that it is a sin, based on principle not on law.

The real point here is your duplicity.

Neither smoking, nor drinking, nor money, nor sex, nor drugs, nor caffeine, nor food, nor anything made in the world by man through the intelligence of Christ is unclean and sinful transgression of the law of Christ.

Lust abusing any such thing makes them sin and unclean.

The only time they are sin themselves for a particular individual, is when the personal conscience is weak towards it, and so the weak individual makes a zero-tolerance policy for himself.

Which is perfectly fine, but then to go on and judge others by their own forbidding fruit, is to become a lawmaker and false judge over others' liberty.

If you're not going to be honest with yourself about what you are doing, then there is no reasonable case to be made.

I.e. I have absolutely no problem judging anyone as a sinner and false witness of Christ by fornication, because I can easily quote several Scriptures plainly saying it is transgression of Christ's law.

You have no Scripture to quote, but only your own weak conscience and mind of false judgment upon others.

I bear witness of Christ according to Scriptures. You bear witness of yourself.

Many of them did however, but out of love for Him and neighbor, have successfully quit.

I don't smoke at this time, but if I did, then I would not do so before someone truly weak of conscience about it.

But since you are a lawmaker, trying to make his weak conscience into some sort of strength of faith, I would gladly light up in front of you. In fact, if I knew I was around such as you, I would light up whether I really wanted to smoke or not, just to put your lawmaking pride in its place by my liberty in the Lord.

Nothing personal. I have just learned the hard way to reject out of hand false lawmakers and judges.