Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those who choose to be their own god like Adam did, choose for themselves what is good and bad sir. I believe you are familiar with that found at Gen 3:5. Those who have decided to serve Jehovah must obey the rules and regulations set down by Jehovah. Sometimes these are determined through His principles. For instance smoking is not specifically condemned in the Bible, yet we know that it is harmful to our health, therefore we need to consider if Jehovah would consider it acceptable for His people.
@Robert Gwin Actually sir, it looks to me like you had already made up you mind about the answer to the question in your OP, so why ask it?

Reactions: Helen

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what about eating unhealthy foods/sweets etc....

"There are other bad things people do so this one isn't so bad"?

I don't put them in the same category at all, not even close. We have to eat, we dont have to smoke. Sweets in moderation are not unhealthy. Not sure what unhealthy foods you are referring to, but again...moderation is the key.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't put them in the same category at all, not even close. We have to eat, we dont have to smoke. Sweets in moderation are not unhealthy. Not sure what unhealthy foods you are referring to, but again...moderation is the key.

Matthew 15:11-20

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Matthew 15:11-20

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Hi @Christophany ; good and apt passage reminding us that defilement is primarily moral and spiritual and it comes via the sinful, human heart (not via an arbitrary list of legalistic shibboleths).

Reactions: ChristisGod

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do understand that Jesus is #2 correct? Jehovah is not subject to Jesus, Jesus is subject to Him sir.
Did you have any comment to make about my comparison of Philippians to Isaiah?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You thought not robbery means Jesus didn't consider it a sin to be equal to Jehovah, rather in the 1600's people would have understood it to be exactly opposite.
That's not the part I'm talking about. You seem to be avoiding looking at this:

Philippians 2
9) Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Who is this "LORD", which all will confess is Jesus Christ?

What if we look at the source of the quotation?

Isaiah 45:18-24 KJV (God's Name restored)
18) For thus saith YHWH that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am YHWH; and there is none else.
19) I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I YHWH speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.
20) Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.
21) Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I YHWH? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
23) I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
24) Surely, shall one say, in YHWH have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

Who then is this Lord?

Who is our Savior, there is only one!

Acts 4:10-12 KJV
10) Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

There is only One Savior, Jesus Christ, YHWH.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So tobacco is fine with you. Personally, I find it embarrassing to pass by a church on a Sunday morning and see Christians lighting up the moment they get outside. But hey, all things are lawful so long as it's to the glory of God right?
Why do we single out this one act?

What about the Christians who descend on a restaurant after church, one orders a beer, another orders a banana split, and one lights up a cigarette. Which of these three is condemned?

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Sin is what separates us from God. I do not believe that smoking separates people from God and nor does eating sweets. These may be unhealthy habits but not sin.
Matthew 15:11
What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have never smoked so you're wrong - tobacco is not fine with me. But obviously other people are fine with it and who are we to judge? I'm fine with caffeine but lots of people aren't. I'm fine with alcohol in small amounts but again lots of people aren't. I dislike posts that point fingers.
I didn't say you smoked, and my response was based on your quote from Romans 8. There is therefore no condemnation for them who are in Christ Jesus. Now of course one cannot argue with scripture, and I'm not going to try. However, using it in this context to justify others evil habits I believe is out of place. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. The question of the OP ...Is smoking sin...is a difficult question. For those who have been convicted to give up anything by God, and Him offering the power to do so, yet that Christian refuses, to him it is sin. If any Christian still smoking and reading this, and realizing the truth in that the 6th commandment is against self abuse that can and does shorten life, but puts it aside as of no consequence, and reads your quote, oh, great, there's no condemnation so I can continue on smoking and bring shame upon the Lord's name, is such confusion appropriate? I call it compromise. Smoking kills. Both the smoker and those within his immediate presence. Why are we afraid to call a spade a spade? By the way, I started smoking at 13 with the encouragement of my uncle who died in his fifties from lung cancer. I smoked dope as well for many years. I know first hand the damage it causes both to the physical body, and the spiritual man. And it does give God's people a poor reputation and reduces their effectiveness in sharing the gospel. Would you believe a drug addict who offers you a cure for his drug addiction? Why would anyone believe Christians who say Jesus delivers us from our sin, while breathing foul tobacco breath as they speak? Finger pointing? Really? The tobacco industry would love the fact that Christians are loathe to discourage others from smoking on account of finger pointing.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Christianity is NOT following rules and regulations. Christianity is about following a person - Jesus. Rules and regulations are what have been set by man.

Perhaps a review of Mat 7:21-23 and Luke 13:24 is in order maam. You do understand that Jesus gave us an assignment correct? What is the meaning of the parable found at Mat 25:14-30? Please do not let others teach you that all you have to do is believe Pearl.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin Actually sir, it looks to me like you had already made up you mind about the answer to the question in your OP, so why ask it?

Yes maam I did, I was the originator. What I have learned by it however is, that many do not consider it a sin. Keep in mind however that many do not consider homosexuality or abortion a sin either.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1.8 says: 'Unto the Son He saith, Thy Throne, O God, is for ever and ever'. Philippians 2.11 says: 'Jesus Christ is Lord'.

Jesus is Lord for sure. Our version reads:
(Hebrews 1:8) . . .But about the Son, he says: “God is your throne forever and ever, and the scepter of your Kingdom is the scepter of uprightness. . .

Is Jesus God, or is Jehovah his God and throne? Something to consider sir for salvation

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have any comment to make about my comparison of Philippians to Isaiah?

Much love!

No sir! The Bible clearly teaches Jehovah is God and Jesus is His son. If you do not believe the words of Jesus when he said who he was, then why would I expect you to believe me? Mat 16:13-17