Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what relevance that verse has to smoking being sinful.
He's given this to me before. He says his organization has a "faithful slave" who has told them smokers are to be excommunicated.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is hard to quit; it took me going over the benefits of not smoking over and over again before finally stopping.
It took me a year of "cough cough" to get the message. I used the gum, it worked well for me.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He's given this to me before. He says his organization has a "faithful slave" who has told them smokers are to be excommunicated.

Much love!
Oh right, sounds very iffy and not Christian. We have at last got to the bottom of things. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with Jesus.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Much love!
So he belongs to an organisation rather than to the Church of Christ Jesus it seems

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:7
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone . . .

That is very true, have not read Jesus Christ saying this in a long time. God is good.

Reactions: Pearl

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why do we single out this one act?

What about the Christians who descend on a restaurant after church, one orders a beer, another orders a banana split, and one lights up a cigarette. Which of these three is condemned?

Much love!
None of them. I'm not saying that smoking is automatically sinful. Nor even though it may be, does not necessarily bring about condemnation. To him who is convicted to stop by the holy Spirit, and casts such conviction aside deliberately in order to continue in whatever habit he was so informed of, smoking not being alone, then to him it is sin. I personally struggled for a long time to give up tobacco. I was convicted, and I knew in my heart that I needed to stop, for a number of reasons, but couldn't. I came to a point when I realized why. I enjoyed it. So I needed an attitude change, it wasn't about the actual act of smoking, it was about my heart...my character. When I finally came to realize this, and came to God with that issue, then God had something to work with, and my habits then ceased to be a problem.
We are all different. But bad habits and addictions are just that. They are a sign that the individual has yet to fully surrender his life to Christ. And like I said in an earlier post, the one you quoted above, seeing a large number of people smoking outside a church, sends a very accurate signal to those witnessing that Christ is not fully in charge here. What is it about the appearance of evil?
And BTW, if someone lights up while I'm trying to eat a banana split, you can bet there will be a separation between us.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If smoking is a sin , then God didn’t get the memo!
God anointed Charles Haddon Spurgeon to be the wonderful preacher that he was known as- He was called “The Prince of Preachers”
Charles Spurgeon: the avid cigar smoker and theologian.
renderTimingPixel.png

QUOTE.
A woman once asked Spurgeon if smoking was "sinful".
He said, "only if done excessively."
When she inquired as to what excessive would be, he replied "two cigars at once. "

I get a laugh from this.
Christian legalism is running rampant but we have a lot more freedom than people realize.

I would imagine some here would appreciate this post :)

I’ve told before about my dad being an identical twin.
Dad came to faith when I was 7 .
About a decade later he joined a Pentecostal church . And, received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and prayed in tongues for the next 50 years until his death.
My uncle his twin came to faith at that time , when I was about 18.
Then he too wished for the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

my dad went with him to a meeting , and my dad had told his brother that he would not receive the Holy Spirit because he smoked a pipe.
my dad also kept telling God too , that his brother was not fit as he smoked a pipe.

my dad was totally amazed when his brother received a mighty anointing …just as if God was saying to dad .
“I am the Lord , I do what I like , when I like , with whom I like. “

my uncle did much later , stopped smoking after praying about it and asking God.

He never was told by the Lord that smoking was sinful , he just told us that he felt no need to smoke anymore.

God takes care of his own, and He will speak to hearts ….when He chooses.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what relevance that verse has to smoking being sinful.

I understand, perhaps you are familiar with the verses of the faithful and wise servant in Mat 24. God has always given us representation from the time we became His nation. No doubt you recognize Moses as being the Chief shepherd over God's people at that time. What Moses said went Pearl. The Bible gives us the example of others among the flock that chose not to accept what he said, and what happened to them.

We believe that the faithful slave has been assigned to feed Jesus sheep today, since we and most faiths believe we are now in that last day period. We also believe they are the governing body of Christians today assigned by Jesus to shepherd the flock of God. Therefore we consider disobedience to their rules and regs as the same as when we disobeyed Moses. The faithful slave has determined that God's people will be subject to disciplinary action if they choose to smoke. So if they are actually the faithful slave that Jesus assigned, then disobedience to their rules would be the same as disobeying Jesus himself. I hope that helps you to understand what that has to do with smoking being a sin.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I understand, perhaps you are familiar with the verses of the faithful and wise servant in Mat 24. God has always given us representation from the time we became His nation. No doubt you recognize Moses as being the Chief shepherd over God's people at that time. What Moses said went Pearl. The Bible gives us the example of others among the flock that chose not to accept what he said, and what happened to them.

We believe that the faithful slave has been assigned to feed Jesus sheep today, since we and most faiths believe we are now in that last day period. We also believe they are the governing body of Christians today assigned by Jesus to shepherd the flock of God. Therefore we consider disobedience to their rules and regs as the same as when we disobeyed Moses. The faithful slave has determined that God's people will be subject to disciplinary action if they choose to smoke. So if they are actually the faithful slave that Jesus assigned, then disobedience to their rules would be the same as disobeying Jesus himself. I hope that helps you to understand what that has to do with smoking being a sin.
Oh dear. @Robert Gwin Who is the faithful slave? And what organisation do you belong to? I have never heard anything like this preached. I think that pointing fingers at people and judging them sinful is more sinful than smoking. Jesus didn't come to condemn people and he would not ban people from his church because they smoke. He bans nobody.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God had not condemned smoking in His Word, but you do, apparently. So if someone whom God has given rebirth to smokes a cigarette, you will cast them out, but God does not.

That's a problem in my view. You condemn those whom God does not.

Much love!

Yes sir, we do, and of course we are not God. He has delegated the judging to Jesus, and I hope you are right. I too see it as not a serious sin, although it definitely is a disregard for the sanctity of life, showing little respect for that gift that God gives. We believe it is condemned through principle in God's word, not through a written law.

One thing to consider however that would make it a sin is, if our governing body is the faithful slave that Jesus assigned to feed his sheep. If they are the appointed slave, since they have determined that it is a sin, subject to disciplinary action, then disobeying them is the same as disobeying Jesus which is a serious sin sir. Something to consider.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may want to revisit the passages I've posted. This will be what God will require for all men, and I recommend beginning now.

Matthew 16:13-17 KJV
13) When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14) And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15) He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

So what should we understand this to mean?

Many people understand many different things from what Jesus said. What about those to whom He spoke? What did THEY understand Him to mean?

John 10:30-33 KJV
30) I and my Father are one.
31) Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32) Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33) The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

John 10:36-39 KJV
36) Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37) If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38) But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
39) Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

They understood.

You will be accountable to these words.

Much love!

Exactly sir! Jesus is the son of God. His firstborn in fact. Glad we finally agree. Nice that you posted the correction Jesus gave to those who were going to stone him, as many leave that out.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh dear. @Robert Gwin Who is the faithful slave? And what organisation do you belong to? I have never heard anything like this preached. I think that pointing fingers at people and judging them sinful is more sinful than smoking. Jesus didn't come to condemn people and he would not ban people from his church because they smoke. He bans nobody.

Ha! Aren’t you thankful that we sat from the beginning “under the truth “ and not spoon fed some man made “rules and regulations” and error teaching!
Some people prefer to listen to rulers and dictators over them, then they are free from any responsibility to hear from the Holy Spirit for themselves .

God gives us all a choice, “Choose religion or relationship. “

I know whom I have believed.

but…for others ….
sad ain’t it. x

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ha! Aren’t you thankful that we sat from the beginning “under the truth “ and not spoon fed some man made “rules and regulations” and error teaching!
Some people prefer to listen to rulers and dictators over them, then they are free from any responsibility to hear from the Holy Spirit for themselves .

God gives us all a choice, “Choose religion or relationship. “

I know whom I have believed.

but…for others ….
sad ain’t it. x
As you say Helen, I am so grateful to have been taught the truth from the beginning and have got that firm and solid foundation - the Rock which is Jesus on which my faith is built. It amazes me still how much rubbish is taught in the name of Christianity and like you say people lap it up without any input at all from the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: farouk and Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too see it as not a serious sin,
You said, "I too . . ." But you must not mean me. I don't see smoking to be sin unless God desires you personally not smoke.

Let me ask you . . . what does it mean, "not a serious sin"?

To my understanding, all sin is sin, all sin comes from the flesh, and all sin kills if not redeemed.

We believe it is condemned through principle in God's word, not through a written law.

This is, again, a serious problem to me. You single out this one behavior, while not addressing even worse behavior? And to the point to casting them out of your organization.

One thing to consider however that would make it a sin is, if our governing body is the faithful slave that Jesus assigned to feed his sheep. If they are the appointed slave, since they have determined that it is a sin, subject to disciplinary action, then disobeying them is the same as disobeying Jesus which is a serious sin sir. Something to consider.

They fail the test. They are not an appointed slave. They beat the sheep. Not everyone who says "LORD, LORD", but those who do His will. It is not the Lord's will that we should excommunicate our brothers and sisters for one minor behavior, singled out from all the rest. As if this one is so bad! So much more bad! No, I would not listen to this person even though they claim to speak for God.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly sir! Jesus is the son of God. His firstborn in fact. Glad we finally agree. Nice that you posted the correction Jesus gave to those who were going to stone him, as many leave that out.

We agree? Fantastic!

Then you've come to understand, YHWH took on flesh, was born a Man, the Man we know as Jesus.

But I don't think that's what you are saying.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many people understand many different things from what Jesus said. What about those to whom He spoke? What did THEY understand Him to mean?

John 10:30-33 KJV
30) I and my Father are one.
31) Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32) Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33) The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

John 10:36-39 KJV
36) Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37) If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38) But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
39) Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

They understood.

You will be accountable to these words.

They were going to stone Jesus because they knew perfectly well what He was saying, In calling Himself the Son of God He was making Himself equal with God.

And when He said that He was in the Father, and the Father in Him, they understood that too. That's why they were so determined to stone Him.

There was no "correction" given to them, Jesus only reinforced His message to them, which strengthened their desire to kill Him. Because they, the one's who were standing there listening to Jesus, knew what Jesus was saying . . . He is God.

Just as Paul applied Isaiah's prophecy from YHWH, every knee will bow to Jesus, the ONLY Savior.

Much love!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only,

I'm late posting and giving my comments but if what I have to say has already been covered, then this post will have doubly confirm that smoking is a sin!

God said: "Thou shalt mot kill" [murder].

Smoking is self murder! Whether smoking by yourself or with others.

To God Be The Glory

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I stated Pearl, that is a teaching by Jesus. Obviously he stated it for a reason. If you do not know what is meant by it, it is not best to overlook it, rather research what it means.