Is Sunday the "New Covenant Sabbath"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It was called the Sabbath by Southern Baptists for decades. I was there.

Things haven't changed much, evidently:

VIII. The Lord’s Day

The first day of the week is the Lord’s Day. It is a Christian institution for regular observance. It commemorates the resurrection of Christ from the dead and should include exercises of worship and spiritual devotion, both public and private. Activities on the Lord’s Day should be commensurate with the Christian’s conscience under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Exodus 20:8-11; Matthew 12:1-12; 28:1ff.; Mark 2:27-28; 16:1-7; Luke 24:1-3,33-36; John 4:21-24; 20:1,19-28; Acts 20:7; Romans 14:5-10; I Corinthians 16:1-2; Colossians 2:16; 3:16; Revelation 1:10.

It was just ignorance. What can I say! LOL

The Sabbath of the Ten Commandments hasn't changed days. Nothing changes inside a covenant until the covenant, itself, is superseded with a new covenant, no matter how many hundreds of years the first is in place. That is why none of the gifts of the Holy Spirit of the new coenant have ceased either like many liberals try to claim. Oy veh!

Reactions: Phoneman777

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was just ignorance. What can I say! LOL

The Sabbath of the Ten Commandments hasn't changed days. Nothing changes inside a covenant until the covenant, itself, is superseded with a new covenant, no matter how many hundreds of years the first is in place. That is why none of the gifts of the Holy Spirit of the new coenant have ceased either like many liberals try to claim. Oy veh!

All one has to do is read an old book, or watch an old TV show or movie. Everyone thought (and many still do) that the Sabbath is Sunday. Oy Veh notwithstanding, Sis. :)

Countless millions are revering a day every week that was never blessed or sanctified by God. Ignorance doesn't change facts. Facts is facts, as the old saying goes.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All one has to do is read an old book, or watch an old TV show or movie. Everyone thought (and many still do) that the Sabbath is Sunday. Oy Veh notwithstanding, Sis. :)

Countless millions are revering a day every week that was never blessed or sanctified by God. Ignorance doesn't change facts. Facts is facts, as the old saying goes.

You know how the letter of the law kills, but the spirit of the law give life. Keeping a day, such as the Sabbath or Resurrection Day (Sunday) under any reason than your desire is to be with the people of God and praise His Holy name, is keeping the letter of the law. We must keep the spiritual aspect of the Sabbath, which is abiding in Jesus and He in us. In other words, that starts with becoming filled with the Spirit of Christ. And that includes being ready to receive His gifts. It is a great thing to be able to hear God's voice and directions on what to pray for.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know how the letter of the law kills, but the spirit of the law give life.

You know I get this a lot, don't you, Sis?

Just trying to keep it real here. And I think we're fond enough of each other, that it's necessary.

And perhaps, at the risk of oversimplifying things a little, I just don't get it.

When I say "Thou shalt not kill," no one ever comes back with this "letter of the law" objection—NEVER.

I've tested it out.

I've started several threads on other commandments with nary a one "letter of the law kills, but the spirit..."-type objection. Well, actually one appeared (much to the amazement of everyone), but no more than that, honestly.

I mean, can you imagine someone confiding in you that they were planning on robbing a bank and that they knew it was wrong, but they needed oodles of money for some legitimate reason, and then you telling them "Well, the letter of the law kills, but the spirit of the law gives life?" o_O

Keeping a day, such as the Sabbath or Resurrection Day (Sunday) under any reason than your desire is to be with the people of God and praise His Holy name, is keeping the letter of the law.

But I want to be with the people of God and praise His holy name every day. I go to prayer meeting on Wednesday night to be with the people of God and praise His holy name. That's not Sabbath-keeping. And doesn't the fact that God ordered the other 9 commandments qualify as a very good reason to keep them as literally given?

Also, the Sabbath is not just a commandment, it's the only origin of the cycle of weekly time that is known to man. The U.S. Naval Observatory even declines to refute this, and claims that the weekly cycle has, by all appearances, never been interrupted. The first day of the week bears no such distinction.

We must keep the spiritual aspect of the Sabbath, which is abiding in Jesus and He in us. In other words, that starts with becoming filled with the Spirit of Christ.

While I believe the Sabbath cannot be kept properly without the LORD of the Sabbath abiding in the heart, I don't find this concept of separating the spiritual aspect of Sabbath observance from the physical/literal even alluded to anywhere in the Bible—not even in Hebrews 4. I'm pretty sure we've been over this ground a time or two, Sis. ;):cool:
And that includes being ready to receive His gifts. It is a great thing to be able to hear God's voice and directions on what to pray for.

It seems to me that the fruit of the Spirit would be more suited to enable the heart to keep the Sabbath properly than the gifts.

Hearing God's voice audibly would indeed be a great thing.

However, it is one I have never experienced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michiah-Imla