Is Technology Improving Social Life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
I remember the days before internet, mobiles, blackberries, i-pod and Wii.Your mind was freer to think for yourself, or talk to other people.When work finished it was over, now you can't get away from it, people are more stressed.We played real sport and games with real people.There was not widespread obesity and we needed less money.When you talked to people they didn't fiddle with their gadget, you gave the conversation 100%.I guess many young people have never sat down and played a strategy board game or card game or been to a whist drive?Pls share your thoughts and experiences . . .I asked this Q on a board for older people and got this response which I found interesting, sociologically:-My parents generation (no TV) people regularly gathered for card parties, pot lucks at home, no "reason" needed. They actively sought to introduce friends to other friends, to widen their own circle of friends.I don't see either one happening much anymore.The few times I've tired to invite people over not in celebration of a birthday or effort to sell fundraiser goods, people couldn't relate to a party for no reason except to enjoy each other, and most didn't come. I guess I need to come up with some creative "reasons" for gathering! The "successful" parties I've been to have hired entertainment, such as a 4 piece band. My parents parties didn't have hired entertainment! Different generation I guess.The parties I've successfully attracted people to, the different groups stayed with each other as if separate little parties in one house, instead of mixing, even though I introduced people to each other by pointing out common interests.

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
Thanks Whiteknuckle. I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY.I'll add - we also often don't live with/near our Parents who need us, we have lost farming and associated skills (like canning etc), and we have lost other knowledge our elders had we just might need one day soon.Our children have to finish high school and often college too before they can get married - they didn't used to have to do that. And it's my opinion that's why there's so many unwed pregnancies and related sexual problems among them. The Bible says "it's better to marry than burn with lust" but..........they can't!!I could go on and on if I thought on the subject more.Well...that's my 2 cents worth.May God bless, lead, guide, and direct you and everyone else here
smile.gif
Your Brother in Christ,Jim

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
QUOTE (TallMan @ Apr 17 2009, 05:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72697
err . . . wrong thread?
No
smile.gif
.........Sorry Tallman. I thought about that later and wondered if I'd done that.I was just a little rattled because I'd just read some bad news about someone I respect and have learned a LOT from (leaving this forum).While it's my opinion that there is NO ONE who has it ALL right when it comes to Scriptures and beliefs, I think she was VERY close.I'll bet God just has another calling for her though, and she wouldn't have left here without a "push"
smile.gif
Sorry again Tallman. I'm the guy who told ya I was 6'5" (tall) a while back.Bless ya and hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!In Christ,Jim