Is the "eternal fire" of Sodom still burning? - Nope

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Bible is so filled with errors why do you profess to be Christian???
Because I see these human errors as theologically irrelevant.

Ask an inerrantist whether Jesus sent his apostles out with sandals and staff (Mark 6:8-9) or without them (Matthew 10:10), and the answer will come back “The gospels must have been describing two different missions.” Ask where the “must have” comes from, and the answer ultimately comes back, in words or substance, that the consistency of Scripture is a given.

Even for the inerrantist, it is not crucial to know whether the disciples were sent out with or without sandals for a particular mission. They don’t care which instruction was given, any more than they care whether the law requires driving on the left or on the right side of the road. But they care deeply that only one instruction was given, for otherwise their world would be as chaotic as a world in which the law allowed driving on both sides of the road. If the texts of two gospels give two different answers to any question―even to the issue of apostolic footwear―they care deeply that one of them be explained away.

It’s a slippery slope thing with them. It’s a Luke 16:10 thing. Most of us would not be scandalized in the least by one of two gospel authors getting a theologically-irrelevant detail wrong. But the inerrantist demands literal historical truth on every detail, however minor, because for him, there aren’t two gospel authors. There is only one, and He cannot err.

I do not see the point in downplaying the human element like this. I expect theological truth from my Bible, not factual accuracy on minute historical details. And I am not scandalized by inaccuracies as to the latter.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I see these human errors as theologically irrelevant.

Ask an inerrantist whether Jesus sent his apostles out with sandals and staff (Mark 6:8-9) or without them (Matthew 10:10), and the answer will come back “The gospels must have been describing two different missions.” Ask where the “must have” comes from, and the answer ultimately comes back, in words or substance, that the consistency of Scripture is a given.

Even for the inerrantist, it is not crucial to know whether the disciples were sent out with or without sandals for a particular mission. They don’t care which instruction was given, any more than they care whether the law requires driving on the left or on the right side of the road. But they care deeply that only one instruction was given, for otherwise their world would be as chaotic as a world in which the law allowed driving on both sides of the road. If the texts of two gospels give two different answers to any question―even to the issue of apostolic footwear―they care deeply that one of them be explained away.

It’s a slippery slope thing with them. It’s a Luke 16:10 thing. Most of us would not be scandalized in the least by one of two gospel authors getting a theologically-irrelevant detail wrong. But the inerrantist demands literal historical truth on every detail, however minor, because for him, there aren’t two gospel authors. There is only one, and He cannot err.

I do not see the point in downplaying the human element like this. I expect theological truth from my Bible, not factual accuracy on minute historical details. And I am not scandalized by inaccuracies as to the latter.
So you believe in a Book that's filled with errors. Hmm. You need to look in your mirror. It's not the Bible that's wrong.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That saw cuts both ways. Why would you? You didn't refute the contradictions.
I didn't say the Bible is filled with contradictions. YOU did.
What did you say earlier?

Can you answer the @RedFan questions?
Better question: Why are you attacking our Bible and calling yourself Christian? I don't think you have a clue.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mk 16 He that believeth not shall be DAMNED!

And that ain't good!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mk 16 He that believeth not shall be DAMNED!

And that ain't good!
Believeth what?
The statement is not specific. Get it right or you will be toast.
Actually you will be anyway. We all will.

This comes before Mark 16.

Mark 9:49 NIV
Everyone will be salted with fire.

/

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 9:49 NIV
Everyone will be salted with fire.
This indicates that ALL eventually experience the consuming fire of God's presence - but not all can survive that experience. Fire either refines or destroys, depending on what the substance is composed of.

I find it very interesting that the particular blessing in Isaiah 33:14-17 which the righteous are to experience is to "dwell with everlasting burnings". Isaiah asks the question: "Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?"

Isaiah's answer to this question is: "He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil; He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure. Thine eyes shall see the king in his beauty: they shall behold the land that is very far off."

It is only those who are made righteous who are able to dwell directly in the presence of God in heaven, who is called a "consuming fire", with an eternal, constant stream of fire issuing forth from before His throne, as in Daniel 7:10. The souls of the wicked in the judgment are totally destroyed by this stream of fire which represents God's utter holiness. But the righteous with the covering of Christ's holiness imputed to them are able to dwell with God as this Source of "everlasting burnings" , and will be able to delight in that experience for all eternity.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Bible is so filled with errors why do you profess to be Christian???
Christianity isn't just the Bible. There should be a relationship with God, a religious practice, and a fraternity with others who believe.

The Bible remains important as a source of revelation, but it isn't necessary that every bit of it be regarded as words straight from the mouth of God Himself. That clearly isn't the case for every verse, or even for most verses. Where God directly speaks the Bible tells us so. The rest we should regard as the words of faithful but fallible men.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity isn't just the Bible. There should be a relationship with God, a religious practice, and a fraternity with others who believe.

The Bible remains important as a source of revelation, but it isn't necessary that every bit of it be regarded as words straight from the mouth of God Himself. That clearly isn't the case for every verse, or even for most verses. Where God directly speaks the Bible tells us so. The rest we should regard as the words of faithful but fallible men.
IOW, you pick the parts you like.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just a Bible believing Christian. I don't think you have a clue what you are.
No one here is attacking the Bible as uninspired by God, @Jack. We just have a respectful disagreement on whether every sentence is literally true. Some sentences cannot be, because two writers describe the same event differently. Some sentences are metaphors, some are hyperbole.

Do you embrace even the hyperbole as fact? The Bible states that “Asahel was as swift of foot as a wild gazelle” (2 Samuel 2:18). Was he that fast a runner? Do you REALLY say that Usain Bolt would have had no chance against him even with a 10 meter head start?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IOW, you pick the parts you like.
I can't say I've never, but... I actually have rules for interpretation. They are simple:

1) Where the Bible declares, "Thus saith the Lord" (or something similar), we should regard that as God's actual words.

2) Where the author is a recognized prophet, we should give weight to the message there as being directly from God.

3) Where neither of the above apply, we ought not to ascribe it to God as His own words.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- How is it that Sodom was punished with eternal fire?
- What does this tell us about the use of the term "eternal" elsewhere in scripture?

Jude 1:7 NIV
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion.
They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

/
Because it is not the physical cities but the people that are suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Cities (buildings and roads) do not give themselves over to fornication, but the citizens of a city most certainly can and do!

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it is not the physical cities but the people that are suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Many people read this phrase as if it meant "the people that are eternally suffering the vengeance of fire".

The "eternal fire" emerges as a constant stream of fire from God's eternal throne (as in Daniel 7:9-10). The wicked are burned up in the judgment by this eternal fire emerging from before God's throne. The emphasis should be on the Source of the fire being eternal - not that those who are judged by it will suffer eternally.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people read this phrase as if it meant "the people that are eternally suffering the vengeance of fire".

The "eternal fire" emerges as a constant stream of fire from God's eternal throne (as in Daniel 7:9-10). The wicked are burned up in the judgment by this eternal fire emerging from before God's throne. The emphasis should be on the Source of the fire being eternal - not that those who are judged by it will suffer eternally.
In Jude it is the people who are the subject of eternal fire and not the source.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Jude it is the people who are the subject of eternal fire and not the source.
In Jude, it is the fire itself which is eternal - the cities' suffering is not said to be eternal. God's eternal fire in vengeance destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities of the plain. Jude had to be referring to God as the Source of that eternal fire coming in a constant stream from before His throne, since the flames which destroyed all those cities ceased burning after the next day when Abraham viewed that smoking zone from a distance. The eternal fire coming from God's enthroned presence in heaven never ends.

Reactions: St. SteVen