Is there a difference in " FALSE " teaching & error in teaching ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow some here DO NOT UNDERSTAND what I'm asking!

Ok maybe this is input........

"False teaching" is intentional; to deceive others for whatever personal reasoning the deceiver might have....be it arrogance, ego, narcissism, ect. and I do think the deceiver is aware of their deceit.

Still there are others that teach from the word then veer off into " private interpretations" of their leaders and are again falsely teaching....

Then there are those that believe in heresies, errorenous theologies, and lies from the devil disguised as an " angel of light" .

Lastly we have a multitude of preachers & teachers that teach pre-trib, annihilation of the unbelievers, the gospel of Paul juxtaposed to the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, eternal life as a surety rather than the conditional walk with consequences of disobedience warnings, sanctification not being a process of maturity, ect.ect.
This type is far flung under the umbrella of " Christianity" and IMO is " indoctrination".

What say those with understanding?
It seems to me the simple answer is to look through the overall aspect and context of the Bible with the prayer and seeking God to help you in understanding things within it know not everyone will figure out all the answers because that would be impossible.

It is possible to at least know truth I can set a person free that’s what Jesus said.

End it all comes down to context.

Who why what when where and how?

Sometimes we do make mistakes and can be corrected. If we allow it, there are some that do not want any correction, and will stay in their said belief.

As, for example, myself, who believes Jesus Christ already came back, mini, would see that as a falze teaching. And I also see Satan as defeated. But I believe the spirits of the world, like spirit of hatred, in spirit, spirit of lust still exist, whatever spirit.

And we all fight against the darkness of our own soul.

However, that I believe it’s true by faith, the real challenges are, can we reasonably share amongst each other allow differences, and also be guided by the spirit to love despite those differences.

What does god really want from his children?

Is it a heart that loves or is it a heart that condemns and demands its own way rather than seeking for truth, and allowing God to be in his way to win out, lead by the spirit.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand where you are coming from.
I have had to re-learn a lot of what I was taught by studying on my own.

I cannot use the outside sources but have to take what is said literally in plain KJ English then allow the Spirit to lead me through my studies of other scriptures that harmonize the thought of what is being said.

This is probably why I struggle so hard with Revelations bc of the symbolisms & such.....that and my brain is pea sized....lol
The only other sources I use, like 98%, when studying are language helps like interlinears and lexicons and a couple of Greek scholars, particularly Robertson and Vincent. And @Johann.

The Revelation . . . I've come to it the same way, taking things literally unless I have reason from the text not to. There seem to be some fantastical things written, but I'm of the mind to just take it all in, let it color the imagery in your mind in the pictures it paints, it's setting a tone, like pageantry showing the story of God's faithfulness and love.

You can read the entire book in an hour or so. If you can, read it several times in the space of a few weeks, the more the better, maybe a dozen times or more, then go back and revisit those parts that draw your attention. Just a suggestion. I'd always be happy to discuss it with you.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann and Keturah

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you stated ….indoctrination from things we have been taught is sometimes a hurdle that appears to cause trepidation among some. This can cause a believer to read what they believe as opposed to reading what was written ….and believing that.

There are many subjects and accounts that The Word does not declare or that have been stretched, misconstrued, or adlibbed through religion and history that people believe and seek to prove…. but are not biblically recorded. …And still others that are biblically recorded …but are dismissed mostly due to personal religious beliefs.

If people followed just the basic principle of biblical understanding it would help to eliminate 90% of that stuff.

Read what is written – Not what you think or believe is written….don’t read to prove your beliefs.

To whom is it written Jews, Gentiles, or Church of God, are the only three categories addressed in the Bible.

Context – Some verses interpret themselves and can stand alone….others are written within context that must be understood in light of the context.

Contradictions – If what someone believes of scripture, contradicts other scripture relating to the same subject, the problem is not with God, it is in your understanding.

(There are more biblical principles, but those are the foundational.)

We are not encouraged to interpret the Bible ….we are called to “rightly divide the Word of Truth” to see how it fits together ….The Bible will interpret itself. The intrinsic nuance of the Greek word orthotomeō (rightly dividing) says there is one way of dividing the truth, all other ways are wrong. The right way is Gods way.
Good guidelines!

On, "rightly dividing", my understanding of this word is that it means to "make a straight cut", this being written by a tentmaker by trade. He knew the value of cutting correctly. You can cut all the pieces right but one, and your tent will be lopsided.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s also a scripture that talks about study to show thy self approved,

But it doesn’t say approved by men, and what they may say, it’s always about being approved by God.

My best estimation God can lead a person by the spirit, to the truth. Of course, they have to study it out.

In the end, it will always be about faith and love though.

Is that the approval or is there other things one must do

You must choose between yourself and your relationship with God, who is your father, that is all I know

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This of course was written to timothy

I’m glad it doesn’t say to be approved by men

It’s a personal journey between you and God in the end, it all results still having love for God and love for other people

Such a difficult standard, to live by only done by the spirit of Christ

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG said this
"What does god ( GOD ) really want from his children?"

This is what I believe to be the answer...to worship HIM in love, obedience, and honour !

I agree we must love with the feverent love of God to ALL men, but the" household of faith " is to be esteemed more highly amongst believers.
By this shall they know you are my disciples if ye have love one to another.

I DO NOT believe anyone here  hates another even in very heated discussions. That said it is the saddest thing to my heart to see soooo many folks believe ERRONEOUS TEACHINGS, HERESIES, FALSE DOCTRINE & OUT-RIGHT LIES!

Reactions: Johann

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I DO NOT believe anyone here  hates another even in very heated discussions. That said it is the saddest thing to my heart to see soooo many folks believe ERRONEOUS TEACHINGS, HERESIES, FALSE DOCTRINE & OUT-RIGHT LIES!
that stuff gets old though,

Its childish to have heated debates, if you didnt know its just the flesh.

Therefore i get tired of people coming at me for things i say personly and just use the ignore button…

Paul said to put away childish things and to become mature in the faith

From being a child of god to becoming a son or daughter of your Father whom adopts.

Thats in the spirit

Not the flesh.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Good guidelines!

On, "rightly dividing", my understanding of this word is that it means to "make a straight cut", this being written by a tentmaker by trade. He knew the value of cutting correctly. You can cut all the pieces right but one, and your tent will be lopsided.

Much love!
Correct brother-

Rightly dividing (ὀρθοτομοῦντα)
N.T.o. oClass. In lxx, Pro_3:6; Pro_11:5; both times in the sense of directing the way. From ὀρθός straight and τέμνειν to cut.

Hence, to cut straight, as paths; to hold a straight course; generally, to make straight; to handle rightly. Vulg. recte tractare.

The thought is that the minister of the gospel is to present the truth rightly, not abridging it, not handling it as a charlatan (see on 2Co_2:17), not making it a matter of wordy strife (2Ti_2:14), but treating it honestly and fully, in a straightforward manner.

Various homiletic fancies have been founded on the word, as, to divide the word of truth, giving to each hearer what he needs: or, to separate it into its proper parts: or, to separate it from error: or, to cut straight through it, so that its inmost contents may be laid bare.

Others, again, have found in it the figure of dividing the bread, which is the office of the household steward; or of dividing the sacrificial victims; or of cutting a straight furrow with the plough.
Robertson

Timothy is urged in a famous phrase rightly to divide the word of truth. The Greek word translated to divide rightly is interesting. It is orthotomein (G3718), which literally means to cut rightly. It has many pictures in it.

Calvin connected it with a father dividing out the food at a meal and cutting it up so that each member of the family received the right portion.

Beza connected it with the cutting up of sacrificial victims so that each part was correctly apportioned to the altar or to the priest. The Greeks themselves used the word in three different connections.

They used it for driving a straight road across country, for ploughing a straight furrow across a field, and for the work of a mason in cutting and squaring a stone so that it fitted into its correct place in the structure of the building.

So the man who rightly divides the word of truth, drives a straight road through the truth and refuses to be lured down pleasant but irrelevant by-paths; he ploughs a straight furrow across the field of truth; he takes each section of the truth, and fits it into its correct position, as a mason does a stone, allowing no part to usurp an undue place and so knock the whole structure out of balance.
DSB.

ὀρθοτομοῦντα
Transliteration: orthotomounta
Morphology: V-PPA-AMS
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's no.: G3718 (ὀρθοτομέω)
Meaning: To cut straight; to handle correctly, teach rightly.

Johann.

• Love
Reactions: marks and Keturah

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also this isnt a church and no one has dominion or authoirty over the bible.

Let alone authority or dominion over ones own faith towards God.

All you have is human beings conversing beliefs, sometimes they will condemn each other.

Therefore its best to look towards Jesus, his apostles went out giving truth some rejected, some accepted.

Its same today. The way to learn truth is over all these questions.

Who, what, why, when , where, how?

And sometimes one needs to deny themsleves and lowers their guard in allowing others to be right in what they suggest…

Cause in the end God will correct by the spirit of they are a person whom is seeking in faith it will always lead to those two very hard to achieve but by the spirit commands.

To love God first and love others - despite “doctrine, or whatever…”

Like Paul wrote to timothy study to show thy self approved unto God —- it doesnt say men.

Therefore love your enemies, and allow people to have freedom, to choose for themslves.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry just wanted to say one more thing about study to show thy self to proved unto God - not men.

Men or women can gather in cliques,

Like those who may say God enjoys burning people in hell, and only elect people will go to heaven and God doesnt care about the rest.

Good job brother, sister, thats right via use of scripture or whatever.

(Being approved by Men)

That is what im talking about, what is truth though? Does God really enjoy that? Wheree can you find the answer? Is fire purposeful? Does he eliminate them in the afterlife or they burn forever never stopping scrwmaing in pain?

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
" WHATEVER"
Politely put the polite stinger back in place !
I meant no  offense to anyone but I will refrain from ever quoting you again, Matthew!

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sorry just wanted to say one more thing about study to show thy self to proved unto God - not men.

Men or women can gather in cliques,

Like those who may say God enjoys burning people in hell, and only elect people will go to heaven and God doesnt care about the rest.

Good job brother, sister, thats right via use of scripture or whatever.

(Being approved by Men)

That is what im talking about, what is truth though? Does God really enjoy that? Wheree can you find the answer? Is fire purposeful? Does he eliminate them in the afterlife or they burn forever never stopping scrwmaing in pain?
Do you have a problem matthew

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People choose and do as they will, @marks no one can stop them.

Im glad people have freedom to choose.

Who does one serve God, or themselves?

Im guilty of serving myslef but my desire is to serve Him.

And that doesnt mean i need to be liked by others.

Cheers!

Reactions: Ritajanice

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People choose and do as they will, @marks no one can stop them.

Im glad people have freedom to choose.

Who does one serve God, or themselves?

Im guilty of serving myslef but my desire is to serve Him.

And that doesnt mean i need to be liked by others.

Cheers!
Thats why i do like written by Paul,

When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning,

and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known;

and now there doth remain faith, hope, love — these three; and the greatest of these [is] love.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13‬:‭11‬-‭13‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

The aposltes were not liked by everyone and we have to remember that @marks .

And people do condemn out there… i am guilty of it.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You want the truth, you can't handle the truth "ad lib per Jack Nicholson .

Folks be saying all the time " I'm seeking the truth,I just want the truth"..........then when truth is presented to some, they scurry as fast as they can back to the comfort of their own blanket beliefs!

I say give me TRUTH FOR IT IS LIBERTY......
Pour it on / in & all around me.
I may have to bend from my own ideology but I'll NOT break; my root is Jesus the vine & I'm hanging tight !

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and the Apostles were not very kind, caring and loving towards the false teachers . They were actually very judgmental.

Matt 23:1313 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matt 23:15
15 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matt 23:16
16 "Woe to you, blind guides!

Matt 23:23
23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matt 23:25-26
25 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

Matt 23:27-28
27 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Matt 23:33-34
33 "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

John 8:41-45
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Acts 20:28-31
Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

2 Cor 6:14-17
Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,

"I will dwell in them and walk among them;

And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

17 "Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate," says the Lord.

2 Cor 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

1 Tim 1:3-4
As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies.

1 Tim 6:3-5
If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth

2 Peter 2:1
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them — bringing swift destruction on themselves.

1 John 4:1-3
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

2 John 7-11
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. 9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds

Jude 12-13
These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm — shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted — twice dead. 13 They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

Jude 17-19
But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19 These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keturah

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never break root from Jesus and the spiritual principles he instated.

He is someone you need to get into even the kingdom.

Because he is the one who makes you right with God.

Everyone is need of him, and also Paul writes about him saying, to the people at the corinthians church.

1 Corinthians 1:30
God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.

and of Him ye -- ye are in Christ Jesus, who became to us from God wisdom, righteousness also, and sanctification, and redemption,

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But also be encouraged to read the bible for oneself and learn what it says and whom ot addressess.

Im not against the bible, i encourage it to be read and for people seek truth that sets the free.

Jesus and Abraham​

31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

You also have to remember a the same time, the times, and who is being addressed all through the narrative and come to your own conculsions by the time you come to the end of your journey.

I believe all the letters are written before 70Ad, some disagree but a historical narrative is at play and im not so sure its for today consider a one time event of destruction (Gods wrath upon the Nation of Isreal whom killed thr Son of God) of the material nation of Isreal bringing in the heavenly Jerusalem.

Divorcement
Killed - fulfilled in Christ old covenant
Re-Married the Bride of Christ
New covenant

From material nation to now a spiritual people who look forward to heavenly aspects going to the Kingdom of Heaven for faith and having new life in Christ.

Hebrews 12:22: But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow some here DO NOT UNDERSTAND what I'm asking!

Ok maybe this is input........

"False teaching" is intentional; to deceive others for whatever personal reasoning the deceiver might have....be it arrogance, ego, narcissism, ect. and I do think the deceiver is aware of their deceit.

Still there are others that teach from the word then veer off into " private interpretations" of their leaders and are again falsely teaching....

Then there are those that believe in heresies, errorenous theologies, and lies from the devil disguised as an " angel of light" .
Everything up to here I agree with.

I'd add to this the "honest error", where someone loves truth, is seeking truth, and on the way still has some errors made as they read certain passages, not realizing what they need to know to rightly understand it. For instance where a single word can be read two ways, and there are yet unknown parallel passages which answer the yet unasked question.

Lastly we have a multitude of preachers & teachers that teach pre-trib, annihilation of the unbelievers, the gospel of Paul juxtaposed to the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, eternal life as a surety rather than the conditional walk with consequences of disobedience warnings, sanctification not being a process of maturity, ect.ect.
This type is far flung under the umbrella of " Christianity" and IMO is " indoctrination".
On these specific items, I think each should be examined in their own right. Sometimes it has to do with definitions and how we use words and all. Like sanctification.

The Bible speaks in terms that we are sanctified already, that we are being sanctified, that we will be sanctified, that God sanctifies us, that Jesus IS our sanctification. It's not all done for us, either. We play a part:

1 Thessalonians 4:4 KJV
That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

Sanctification and honor seem to go together!

2 Timothy 2:20-21 KJV
20) But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21) If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Sanctification and being able to be used by God also seem to go together!

Daniel 12:2-3 KJV
2) And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
3) And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

God sanctifies us, and we are to walk in it. Which looks like being sanctified over the course of our lives, as we learn/are trained to walk in sanctification.

Not to divert anything, just to give an example, how sometimes the real difference is only in the words we're using.

Much love!

Reactions: Keturah and Johann