Is there a difference in " FALSE " teaching & error in teaching ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is sanctification though?

Is it being right in fleshly ways, or spiritual?

The bible is so vast, to look at @marks along with defintiona as you stated.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also recommed three things to any person would like to study and its having these three items.

Vines dictionary, strongs concordance, and a thompson chain study bible (dont care if it not KJV) just pick one youll use and read.

Always been the adovacte to state

No one is gonna push the work but you yourself - Matthew Gallagher (date said sometime in life)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To me,  false teaching goes against the words of God, written for our growth & perfecting. I am seeing much " error" in teachings that we have learned from many sources as we grow from childhood onwards.
"goes against the words of God" is rather vague and imprecise. So before we look at the various levels of false teachings we need to understand that there are some very specific FUNDAMENTAL Bible doctrines which all genuine Christians must believe. Jude says that we are to "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints". "The faith" is the body of sound Bible doctrines found in Scripture. This body of sound teachings is found in the New Testament, and those are the teachings of Christ and the apostles. The most critical are those which pertain to the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and salvation. Every believer should know what the Bible teaches about these subjects.

So now we come to the various kinds of false teachings:
1. Firstly there are outright attacks on the Bible itself from the higher and lower critics as well as enemies of Christianity.
2. Then we have the apostasy of clergy and theologians, which is basically a denial of the fundamentals and also an attack on the Bible.
3. Then we have the heresies of so-called Christians as well as the established cults.
4. Then we have errors, misinterpretations, and misapplications of Scripture by those who believe they know the Bible but twist and distort Scriptures to suit their fancies. This is frequently in the area of Bible prophecies.

The best way to determine who is involved in false teachings is to firstly ask them who Jesus is. If they deny that Jesus of Nazareth was (and is) fully God and fully sinless Man at one and the same time, they are denying the doctrine of Christ. They are antichrists. If they claim that Michael the archangel is Christ, then that too is a red flag.

The next way to determine who is a heretic is to ask them to tell you exactly on what basis a sinner may enter into Heaven. If they deny that justification is solely by God's grace through faith in Christ and His perfect finished work of redemption PLUS NOTHING, then they do not believe God, and do not believe the Gospel.
If they deny that the saints actually enter Heaven immediately when they die, then that is another red flag.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is sanctification though?

Is it being right in fleshly ways, or spiritual?

The bible is so vast, to look at @marks along with defintiona as you stated.
Sanctification is to be made holy.

The Potter digs clay from the riverbank, and takes it to his workshop. Most of it he will use for plates and cups, jugs and pots. But he carves off a small part and sets it aside for a special project He has in mind, something for his own use, not to be shared with anyone. If God is the Potter, this lump is you, it's me, being reborn, having been made holy, as He has set us aside solely for himself.

We are yet unformed, not really able to fulfill his planned purpose, yet we are still holy. Maybe we've dried out, we are cracked, dusty, and have to be refreshed by laboriously working water into us. But the Master Potter is tireless, unyielding, and slowly we are formed.

As we become more maleable, the work quickens, and we begin to show our intended form. And then we are ready, we are useful, a special tool made for our Master's hand, others now can see our holiness, though the Master continues to form us now in use, embellishing our lives with His maturity.

Be ye holy, for the Lord your God is holy.

But there is only one way we can do that!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Keturah and Johann

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
@MatthewG
-
-
1.) Spiritual, eternal, Sanctification is :

Hebrews 10:14

""""For by one offering (The Cross of Christ) God hath perfected forever = them (The born again) that ARE sanctified. (The born again)."""

Hebrews 10:10

""""by which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ = once and for all"""

Also read :

1 Corinthians 1:30

2.) And what is personal sanctification. (Lifestyle, behavior) ?

1 Thessalonians 4:4

"""""that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,""""""

and

"present your body as a living sacrifice to God, that is your reasonable service"

And how do you do that?
Its not by will power, as that will cause you to commit works of the flesh.
Self control, just like Christianity, is based on the empowering of the Holy Spirit, and Revelation knowledge..

"I can do all things through Christ'....> Not..>"i can do all things by trying harder to be good".

...Its by the renewing of your mind, so that you always see yourself ONLY as = " I have been sanctified"., as a "new Creation in Christ".

Last edited:
Reactions: Johann

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The best way to determine who is involved in false teachings is to firstly ask them who Jesus is. I

The best way to spot someone who is theologically deceived, is to simply find out if they BELIEVE they can "lose their Salvation"

If a "christian" believes they can "lose their Salvation" then they do not TRUST IN CHRIST to Keep them SAVED.

So, who are they trusting in?, then ?

A.) = Their SELF righteousness........they are trusting in themselves, and that is NOT faith in Christ.

So, find that out, and do not listen to them, if they believe they can lose their Salvation.

Do not use their material.
Burn their "commentaries".
Turn off and then DELETE their "videos".

Do not go to their Church.
Do not belong to a Denomination that teaches that Heresy.

Reader, FIND THIS OUT.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

This is a very simple defintion. Be made holy? But in what regard? Is the flesh that becomes holy? Or is it being set aside for the purpose of God to do things by being lead by the spirit? It seems you did not mention anything like that, to help me define the difference.
The Potter digs clay from the riverbank, and takes it to his workshop. Most of it he will use for plates and cups, jugs and pots. But he carves off a small part and sets it aside for a special project He has in mind, something for his own use, not to be shared with anyone. If God is the Potter, this lump is you, it's me, being reborn, having been made holy, as He has set us aside solely for himself.
That is very broad still. What is being set aside exactly for the use of God? Is it evil intentions of the soul (mind/heart/emotions)? Is it the person whom comes to the Master Potter - and allows him to renew the mind, and to become more conformed to the image that he would like to come to? Such as Jesus Christ? But is that in the fleshly way, or is done by the spiritual way? You did not mention.
We are yet unformed, not really able to fulfill his planned purpose, yet we are still holy. Maybe we've dried out, we are cracked, dusty, and have to be refreshed by laboriously working water into us. But the Master Potter is tireless, unyielding, and slowly we are formed.
That is a great thing to notion of God's love, towards broken, and fragmented people in this life.
As we become more maleable, the work quickens, and we begin to show our intended form. And then we are ready, we are useful, a special tool made for our Master's hand, others now can see our holiness, though the Master continues to form us now in use, embellishing our lives with His maturity.
A lot of words but no direction.

Much love!

I wonder how to learn and grow by just these notions that go unanswered?

• This is to help you (not that you need as you are set in Christ as a brother), and others the need to read the Bible, and study it.. it out, and question themselves, while looking at God.

• (John 17:17; Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 1:30; Ephesians 5:26; 2 Timothy 2:21; Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 13:12; 1 Peter 1:2; Exodus 19:22; Lev. 20:26; Numbers 11:18; Joshua 3:5; 1 Samual 16:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; 5:23)

• How can one be like the Father?
  • Luke 6:35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

• It must be by the santification of the Spirit?
  • 1 Peter 1:2 - who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

• But how can you let the spirit work on you?

• Romans 12: 1-3 A Living Sacrifice​

12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Humble Service in the Body of Christ​

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

Best regards, Mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I would also recommed three things to any person would like to study and its having these three items.

Vines dictionary, strongs concordance, and a thompson chain study bible (dont care if it not KJV) just pick one youll use and read.

Always been the adovacte to state

No one is gonna push the work but you yourself - Matthew Gallagher (date said sometime in life)
Glad to see you are using the study tools-advice? Use the online Interlinears
and see how sanctification is used-what is God's part, what is your part=the Middle and Passive Voice-Imperatives-2 Aorist.

Don't be afraid to use secondary resources to help you understand on this topic of sanctification @MatthewG-and there are many online sites that may help you for a deep dive into Scriptures.

Jer 18:1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
Jer 18:2 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
Jer 18:3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.

Jer 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Hebrews 5:13-14

For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Corinthians 2:6
However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

Matthew 5:48
Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Philippians 3:12-15

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Romans 7:22
For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Hebrews 6:2
of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

1 Corinthians 2:13-15
These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.

Proverbs 1:5-7
A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 14:15
The simple believes every word,
But the prudent considers well his steps.

Proverbs 22:3
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself,
But the simple pass on and are punished.

Remember, we are all in various stages of growth-I don't for one minute claim to know it all-hold yourself accountable to two or three brothers or sisters-

Act 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
Act 18:25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
Act 18:26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

We need Aquila's and Priscilla's to help us in the expounding of the Scriptures brother-cutting straight the D'var of YHVH.

Shalom brother
Johann.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cool man, thank you for expressing what you disagree with. Love you, and you have a good day sir.

At least we can all gather around the bonfire, eat some food, and celebrate the resurrection of the Lord jesus Christ, who brings back souls up from the land of the dead, praise be to the Father in heaven.

Reactions: marks and Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Cool man, thank you for expressing what you disagree with. Love you, and you have a good day sir.

At least we can all gather around the bonfire, eat some food, and celebrate the resurrection of the Lord jesus Christ, who brings back souls up from the land of the dead, praise be to the Father in heaven.
No need to call me "sir" brother-we are co-workers in this heavenly race toward the Celestial City-and there are many "wounded" soldiers in this battlefield who are in need of encouragement.
Johann.

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir, please allow me to do what I wanna do, @Johann. I like calling people sir, or maam. Do you like to do that to others when you come across them out in the world?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sir, please allow me to do what I wanna do, @Johann, you have a good day. I like calling people sir, or maam.
Shalom to you and family.
I will not impose any further brother. I was also brought up to call my superiors Sir and Ma'am-the elderly folk are so precious, I simply love them.
Have a blessed day.
Johann.

Reactions: MatthewG

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything up to here I agree with.

I'd add to this the "honest error", where someone loves truth, is seeking truth, and on the way still has some errors made as they read certain passages, not realizing what they need to know to rightly understand it. For instance where a single word can be read two ways, and there are yet unknown parallel passages which answer the yet unasked question.

On these specific items, I think each should be examined in their own right. Sometimes it has to do with definitions and how we use words and all. Like sanctification.

The Bible speaks in terms that we are sanctified already, that we are being sanctified, that we will be sanctified, that God sanctifies us, that Jesus IS our sanctification. It's not all done for us, either. We play a part:

1 Thessalonians 4:4 KJV
That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

Sanctification and honor seem to go together!

2 Timothy 2:20-21 KJV
20) But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21) If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Sanctification and being able to be used by God also seem to go together!

Daniel 12:2-3 KJV
2) And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
3) And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

God sanctifies us, and we are to walk in it. Which looks like being sanctified over the course of our lives, as we learn/are trained to walk in sanctification.

Not to divert anything, just to give an example, how sometimes the real difference is only in the words we're using.

Much love!

Yes,I can agree with what you have said.....

It is so very imperative that we search out for ourselves,examine ourselves, ect. & look to God for revelation & wisdom for it is INDIVIDUAL.

When we stand before Christ it will not be as a family, a church, nor any group thing but "what I have said, done & believed.

We too must be about the Father's business! ❤️

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes,I can agree with what you have said.....

It is so very imperative that we search out for ourselves,examine ourselves, ect. & look to God for revelation & wisdom for it is INDIVIDUAL.

When we stand before Christ it will not be as a family, a church, nor any group thing but "what I have said, done & believed.

We too must be about the Father's business! ❤️
Well said.
Johann.

Reactions: Keturah and marks

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"goes against the words of God" is rather vague and imprecise. So before we look at the various levels of false teachings we need to understand that there are some very specific FUNDAMENTAL Bible doctrines which all genuine Christians must believe. Jude says that we are to "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints". "The faith" is the body of sound Bible doctrines found in Scripture. This body of sound teachings is found in the New Testament, and those are the teachings of Christ and the apostles. The most critical are those which pertain to the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and salvation. Every believer should know what the Bible teaches about these subjects.

So now we come to the various kinds of false teachings:
1. Firstly there are outright attacks on the Bible itself from the higher and lower critics as well as enemies of Christianity.
2. Then we have the apostasy of clergy and theologians, which is basically a denial of the fundamentals and also an attack on the Bible.
3. Then we have the heresies of so-called Christians as well as the established cults.
4. Then we have errors, misinterpretations, and misapplications of Scripture by those who believe they know the Bible but twist and distort Scriptures to suit their fancies. This is frequently in the area of Bible prophecies.

The best way to determine who is involved in false teachings is to firstly ask them who Jesus is. If they deny that Jesus of Nazareth was (and is) fully God and fully sinless Man at one and the same time, they are denying the doctrine of Christ. They are antichrists. If they claim that Michael the archangel is Christ, then that too is a red flag.

The next way to determine who is a heretic is to ask them to tell you exactly on what basis a sinner may enter into Heaven. If they deny that justification is solely by God's grace through faith in Christ and His perfect finished work of redemption PLUS NOTHING, then they do not believe God, and do not believe the Gospel.
If they deny that the saints actually enter Heaven immediately when they die, then that is another red flag.

On the deity of Christ, I agree.

To anyone that denies Jesus is God, as well as the only begotten Son of God tilts my windmills !
He is  NOT Michael, the Archangel, he is  NOT a created being of any type..he is God incarnate.... fully God, fully man; God among us !

The trinity well there I am not so sure is a must, for I myself believe in one God, not three in one. I believe there is God the creator, the Word that created then the Spirit that completed the action....all one God with 3 manifestations of who he is, not three separate personages. I was taught 3 in 1 however. I do not think it is a make or break on that one. As @marks has said there is word value & our understanding or comprehension.

Sound biblical doctrine is ONLY found to be of Christ or God, in his word ! It is NOT obscure but is spiritually discerned.( By the Spirit )

Salvation is the gift of God through his perfect sacrifice of his Son as the ONLY MEANS OF OUR SALVATION. It was accomplished @ Jesus' death, burial & resurrection. A gift that can freely be received or rejected and it is only granted bc of grace ( unmerited mercy) from God & received by faith of us not by anything we can do.
The work is not of ourselves but rather of God that he has appointed unto us ( not as a means to earn or curry favour with God) He is not a respecter of persons.

The foundation must be sound with Christ as the chief cornerstone to be built upon or else it is sinking sand.

This last paragraph is another point that I do not believe deems one a heretic
"If they deny that the saints actually enter Heaven immediately when they die, then that is another red flag".
I myself believe the spirit of man returns to God ( goes above) just as those spirits of animals go below. I'm not set in stone on the soul.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Love it ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: marks and Johann

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best way to spot someone who is theologically deceived, is to simply find out if they BELIEVE they can "lose their Salvation"

If a "christian" believes they can "lose their Salvation" then they do not TRUST IN CHRIST to Keep them SAVED.

So, who are they trusting in?, then ?

A.) = Their SELF righteousness........they are trusting in themselves, and that is NOT faith in Christ.

So, find that out, and do not listen to them, if they believe they can lose their Salvation.

Do not use their material.
Burn their "commentaries".
Turn off and then DELETE their "videos".

Do not go to their Church.
Do not belong to a Denomination that teaches that Heresy.

Reader, FIND THIS OUT.

*****If a "christian" believes they can "lose their Salvation" then they do not TRUST IN CHRIST to Keep them SAVED.****

This is erroneous teaching.....
Be sober, be vigilant for our adversary roams about seeking whom he may devour. A fully submitted life " in Christ" is our only surety.

We have Christ but we also have warnings to keep us alert to not look back, to be steadfast, hold fast our place, ect. this thought of OSAS cause complacency among believers !

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this thought of OSAS cause complacency among believers !
It's actually just the opposite.

1 John 3:1-3 KJV
1) Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

When we KNOW that we will be like Him when we see Him, this hope - expectation based on our believing His promises - will mean that we will purify ourselves.

According to this Scripture, if we have certainty that this will be our future, we purify ourselves.

Much love!