Is there a difference in " FALSE " teaching & error in teaching ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really have no input but was musing over how divided our Christian world is.

One states this is "what it says "while another states but this is "what it means".

I believe when we study we must do so with the Spirit, rightly dividing the word in context.

I do believe we all have some aspects of indoctrination in our thinking upon the word of God. However we should all be given to " swift to hear, slow to speak" in our addressing of others. I fail @ this many times.

To me,  false teaching goes against the words of God, written for our growth & perfecting. I am seeing much " error" in teachings that we have learned from many sources as we grow from childhood onwards.

Does anyone care to share your insights, battles against, or just what you've found to be  true in this questioning......

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will say I personally have weeded out the many cultic posters here, from the Mormons, some staunch Adventist, Jehovah Witnesses, some downright bizarre belief holders ,Catholics & a few others from my personal viewing.

I will add ,I do not believe ALL in these are with the head " hounds of hell", there are some truth seekers among many different denominations ; under that great big umbrella term "Christian".

Please do not be offended if I fail to respond to you bc I DO NOT see your posts.......I'm sure others will afford you the courtesy of a response !

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One states this is "what it says "while another states but this is "what it means".

I believe when we study we must do so with the Spirit, rightly dividing the word in context.

I do believe we all have some aspects of indoctrination in our thinking upon the word of God. However we should all be given to " swift to hear, slow to speak" in our addressing of others. I fail @ this many times.

To me,  false teaching goes against the words of God, written for our growth & perfecting. I am seeing much " error" in teachings that we have learned from many sources as we grow from childhood onwards.

Does anyone care to share your insights, battles against, or just what you've found to be  true in this questioning......

As you stated ….indoctrination from things we have been taught is sometimes a hurdle that appears to cause trepidation among some. This can cause a believer to read what they believe as opposed to reading what was written ….and believing that.

There are many subjects and accounts that The Word does not declare or that have been stretched, misconstrued, or adlibbed through religion and history that people believe and seek to prove…. but are not biblically recorded. …And still others that are biblically recorded …but are dismissed mostly due to personal religious beliefs.

If people followed just the basic principle of biblical understanding it would help to eliminate 90% of that stuff.

Read what is written – Not what you think or believe is written….don’t read to prove your beliefs.

To whom is it written Jews, Gentiles, or Church of God, are the only three categories addressed in the Bible.

Context – Some verses interpret themselves and can stand alone….others are written within context that must be understood in light of the context.

Contradictions – If what someone believes of scripture, contradicts other scripture relating to the same subject, the problem is not with God, it is in your understanding.

(There are more biblical principles, but those are the foundational.)

We are not encouraged to interpret the Bible ….we are called to “rightly divide the Word of Truth” to see how it fits together ….The Bible will interpret itself. The intrinsic nuance of the Greek word orthotomeō (rightly dividing) says there is one way of dividing the truth, all other ways are wrong. The right way is Gods way.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So then what or who are the following... by what or whom are we being led?
The flesh:
Ec 12:12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Or the Spirit?

Joh 14:26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

2co 3:5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2co 3:6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was raised Mormon, and later I do a lot of watching CatholicTV Mass because it's church every day online which is what I need. But the Mormons teach that in order to have eternal life you must keep your Mormon covenants. Which is somewhat legalistic. The Catholics are more centered around repenting of your sins, which I tend to need myself. But I don't pray to Mary either, I find that teaching false. She should be honored as favored of God though.

But what I've found from the bible is that the law condemns us and Christ's atonement is the only thing that can save us. So I tend to ignore legalistic approaches that teach that in order to be saved you must obey the commandments even though the bible supports that to some degree. I don't find that teaching 100% correct. We should obey the commandments, and to love others and God is faulty to us humans as we don't have God's perfect love. We fail the Royal Law and are condemned and in need of God's salvation for us sinners.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Everything you believe, regarding Theology, you've been taught to believe it.

For example, if you "believe" that there is no "pre-trib rapture", or no rapture at all, = then someone taught you that.
You can pretend you were "studying the word" and discovered it, but, you didn't....You heard it, or you read it taught that way, and you believed it.

"Trinity"? you were taught to believe it, or to not believe it.

"Jesus is God". = Taught to believe it or not to believe it.

"i can lose my salvation".... = someone taught you to believe it.

"Hell does not exist".... = someone taught to you believe it.

"water washes away my sin"... = You were taught this.

"Jesus didn't bodily resurrect".... " = Taught.

"water baptism saves you". = Taught.

"endure to the end to be saved". = Taught

"if i confess my sin, i keep myself saved, forgiven, and in fellowship with God' = TAUGHT

I can list 50 more.

Such as : "pre-destined elect" = TAUGHT.

So, how do you know if what you believe is True?

Well, first and foremost, you have to be 'BORN AGAIN" and then study Paul's Epistles, and if you've never done this, then you are in a theological mess.
Thats a fact.

You have to understand what Christ meant, when He said from the Cross..."IT is finished"..
What is that "IT"?

Now some heretics will probably run to post a Thread on that...; and that's fine, as then i can show up and explain it.
So thats a "win".

Listen.....Basically, what you are going to have to do, is listen to someone who really understands what im telling you, vs, pretends to know it.
And how will you know who the pretender is......????
Yes, that is something to realize, huh?
Perhaps you can understand that If im the one that knows all this, and just told you, then ... im the one you might considering hearing.
Makes sense to me.
You ?
Hummmmm.

And you have to go to Hebrews 13:9, and do what that verse tells you to do, and notice what happens to you, when you dont.
The verse tells you why you are in a Cult and why you are deceived and teach your deception....if you are that one.
And of course, if you are in one, you wont know it, as that is how deception works.
But i can tell you this..... if you actually go and read that verse, and you read "establish your heart with GRACE"., and you have no idea what that means, then you are in a mess, spiritually, theologically, and its not going to get better, until you find out what that means and do it, and never stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then what or who are the following... by what or whom are we being led?
The flesh:
Ec 12:12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Or the Spirit?

Joh 14:26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

2co 3:5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2co 3:6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
I'm not understanding your thoughts in your response. I'm sorry.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow some here DO NOT UNDERSTAND what I'm asking!

Ok maybe this is input........

"False teaching" is intentional; to deceive others for whatever personal reasoning the deceiver might have....be it arrogance, ego, narcissism, ect. and I do think the deceiver is aware of their deceit.

Still there are others that teach from the word then veer off into " private interpretations" of their leaders and are again falsely teaching....

Then there are those that believe in heresies, errorenous theologies, and lies from the devil disguised as an " angel of light" .

Lastly we have a multitude of preachers & teachers that teach pre-trib, annihilation of the unbelievers, the gospel of Paul juxtaposed to the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, eternal life as a surety rather than the conditional walk with consequences of disobedience warnings, sanctification not being a process of maturity, ect.ect.
This type is far flung under the umbrella of " Christianity" and IMO is " indoctrination".

What say those with understanding?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Theology is the study of God. So if we are wrong about Gods nature and character it will show up in ones beliefs and how they understand the Bible. So understanding who God is, His nature, character and attributes becomes the starting point for a believer. Then when we look at the life and ministry of Jesus we see how God lived, acted, spoke as God with men our Immanuel- God in the flesh. Christ reveals the very nature, character and attributes of God which were on display for us in the gospels. The word and deeds of Christ were the very words and deeds of God. So my Theology is focused upon the nature and character of Christ. To see and know Him is to see and know God. To see Him as Jesus said is to see the Father for they are One in nature, character, attributes, deeds etc....

When one is so familiar with the truth, the genuine article, the real $100 Bill the counterfeit stands out like a sore thumb. Bankers are trained with sight, touch and feel to distinguish the real money from the counterfeit. Believers can have that same discernment to distinguish between the real Jesus, the real gospel and the counterfeits. It only takes a couple of questions about Jesus and the gospel to flush out the false teachers.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rwb and Keturah

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

"false teaching " is ERROR.

That's pretty obvious.

So, if we take it to the next level, then...........we are dealing with people who are trying to teach theology.

Where did it come from?

A.) You were taught it.

And if its "doctrines of devils' then you will not know what that is... when you hear it or read it..., unless you are this one.

= Paul said.

= "Be a follower of ME, as i follow Christ".

What does that mean?

Its means that Paul was sent by Christ, "in the time of the Gentiles'.... to do something.

He is THIS answer...

Christ said........"i have many things to tell you, to share with you, before i (go back to heaven) but you are not able to discern, hear, understand, any of it".

So, After Jesus was back in GLORY, He did this for us..

"Paul is a chosen vessel unto ME..."

See that?

And that is why Paul wrote most of the NT Epistles and everything we as the "body of Christ" know regarding "Church Doctrine".

Let me show you something else, reader.

PETER, the apostle, had Paul's letters, and said they were SCRIPTURE.

What does that mean?
It means that Peter understood that Paul's Letter, (NT Epistles) were equal to the TORAH.

2000 yrs later, we understand what He meant, as Paul is the NT Teacher that you have to follow.
And follow noone who does not understand and believe what i just told you.

Do not sit there, at the feet of a "original greek" says.... fakir.
Do not sit there and listen to a Devil owned person who says "the bible can't be trusted" (Contradictions).
Do not sit there and give your mind to a person who is always preaching/teaching= "church fathers".
Do not become a CALVINIST.

A.) Go to PAUL.
Paul's Epistles., and a person who is showing you, what im showing you.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ok maybe this is input........

"False teaching" is intentional; to deceive others for whatever personal reasoning the deceiver might have....be it arrogance, ego, narcissism, ect. and I do think the deceiver is aware of their deceit.

Still there are others that teach from the word then veer off into " private interpretations" of their leaders and are again falsely teaching....

Then there are those that believe in heresies, errorenous theologies, and lies from the devil disguised as an " angel of light" .

Lastly we have a multitude of preachers & teachers that teach pre-trib, annihilation of the unbelievers, the gospel of Paul juxtaposed to the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, eternal life as a surety rather than the conditional walk with consequences of disobedience warnings, sanctification not being a process of maturity, ect.ect.
This type is far flung under the umbrella of " Christianity" and IMO is " indoctrination".

What say those with understanding?
Hmmm, perhaps you are over complicating things here. False teachers just teach false doctrine and nothing more whether they intend to or not. They may actually believe their false doctrine.

"Doctrine is “a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true.” Biblical doctrine refers to teachings that align with the revealed Word of God, the Bible. False doctrine is any idea that adds to, takes away from, contradicts, or nullifies the doctrine given in God’s Word. For example, any teaching about Jesus that denies His virgin birth is a false doctrine, because it contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture (Matthew 1:18)." What is false doctrine? | GotQuestions.org

Reactions: Johann and marks

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, perhaps you are over complicating things here. False teachers just teach false doctrine and nothing more whether they intend to or not. They may actually believe their false doctrine.

"Doctrine is “a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true.” Biblical doctrine refers to teachings that align with the revealed Word of God, the Bible. False doctrine is any idea that adds to, takes away from, contradicts, or nullifies the doctrine given in God’s Word. For example, any teaching about Jesus that denies His virgin birth is a false doctrine, because it contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture (Matthew 1:18)." What is false doctrine? | GotQuestions.org

"Perhaps"........lol

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello......

1 JOHN 2:27 KJV
"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

2 THESSALONIANS 2 KJV
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

EPHESIANS CHAPTER 4 KJV
19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

2 John 1 KJV
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Reactions: marks

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, there really is a fine line between being deceived and becoming the deceiver! While its possible for any man to be deceived, once one realizes they have been deceived, but continue in the deception because they learned it from someone they respected or believe the deception because that keeps one from feeling guilt, then they have crossed over to being the deceiver. I know and have felt this truth, because when I first became a Christian, I simply believed what I was taught without question. Then I became convicted of the need to study myself, and when I learned that I had embraced and even shared unbiblical doctrines, my heart was broken being convicted for having so readily believed a lie. I pray I will never again find myself in the position of sharing doctrine I believe is from Scripture only to be shown or discover through my own search that I was wrong. I pray also that if I am shown doctrine that does not align with the way I have come to understand any particular doctrine, that I will humbly seek to discover what is truth and what is error, relying on the Spirit within to guide me unto all truth.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there really is a fine line between being deceived and becoming the deceiver! While its possible for any man to be deceived, once one realizes they have been deceived, but continue in the deception because they learned it from someone they respected or believe the deception because that keeps one from feeling guilt, then they have crossed over to being the deceiver. I know and have felt this truth, because when I first became a Christian, I simply believed what I was taught without question. Then I became convicted of the need to study myself, and when I learned that I had embraced and even shared unbiblical doctrines, my heart was broken being convicted for having so readily believed a lie. I pray I will never again find myself in the position of sharing doctrine I believe is from Scripture only to be shown or discover through my own search that I was wrong. I pray also that if I am shown doctrine that does not align with the way I have come to understand any particular doctrine, that I will humbly seek to discover what is truth and what is error, relying on the Spirit within to guide me unto all truth.
I agree.....I too have passed on incorrect indoctrination that was taught as " doctrine" when in fact IT WAS ONLY THE TEACHING OF THAT DENOMINATION.

I hate being coerced to believe all that is preached is " what thus saith the Lord" ; & passing it on as truth !

Reactions: Mr E and rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.....I too have passed on incorrect indoctrination that was taught as " doctrine" when in fact IT WAS ONLY THE TEACHING OF THAT DENOMINATION.

I hate being coerced to believe all that is preached is " what thus saith the Lord" ; & passing it on as truth !

Yes, which is why I believe we should seek to understand biblical doctrine instead of church doctrine. That doesn't mean I am against every doctrine taught by churches, because not all taught in churches is false.

Reactions: Keturah

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me, two things are most important in learning the Bible. One is to ask God specific questions, "what does this word mean here?", "where is a passage expaining that?", and let Him answer. The other is to slowly read, slowly re-read, over and again, until I stop breezing through it, but have found significance in every single word written, making sure I'm using the actually meaning of that word.

I think there are two things that work against me if I let them. One is to fail to realize that I'm mentally substituting some former teaching for what I'm reading, the other is to not take into account, fully, every single word written.

So, I like to read very slowly, word by word, thinking about each word, learning about each word, and how it is used.

Much love!

Reactions: Keturah

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Do this., reader.

Find out if your Minister, Pope, Bishop, Lady Pastor, ...ect.....believes that they can "lose their salvation"., and do they teach "you can lose your salvation".

Find out if your Denomination teaches that ..."you can lose your Salvation".

Find this out reader....TODAY, not in a year.
If the answer is YES.. .they teach that.........then you've discovered a group, a person, a church, that does not understand the Cross of Jesus Christ.

That is a FACT.

And Reader, if they dont understand "REDEMPTION"... "The Blood Atonement", "The NEW Covenant", as "the finished work of Jesus on the Cross"..... then they will teach....."you can lose your Salvation".

Final Analysis?

You dont want to be taught "the bible" by someone, or a church, or a denomination, that does not understand : The Cross of Christ.

God bless you to see that truth, TODAY = as it can and will eventually free you, and protect you from so much FUTURE deception that is "out there" waiting for you.

Reactions: Rapture Bound

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, two things are most important in learning the Bible. One is to ask God specific questions, "what does this word mean here?", "where is a passage expaining that?", and let Him answer. The other is to slowly read, slowly re-read, over and again, until I stop breezing through it, but have found significance in every single word written, making sure I'm using the actually meaning of that word.

I think there are two things that work against me if I let them. One is to fail to realize that I'm mentally substituting some former teaching for what I'm reading, the other is to not take into account, fully, every single word written.

So, I like to read very slowly, word by word, thinking about each word, learning about each word, and how it is used.

Much love!
I understand where you are coming from.
I have had to re-learn a lot of what I was taught by studying on my own.

I cannot use the outside sources but have to take what is said literally in plain KJ English then allow the Spirit to lead me through my studies of other scriptures that harmonize the thought of what is being said.

This is probably why I struggle so hard with Revelations bc of the symbolisms & such.....that and my brain is pea sized....lol

Reactions: Ezra and marks