Is this out of your reasoning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's no news to people who know me...I believe in direct, up-close and personal
contact with God Himself or the Holy Spirit..not others' opinions, interpretations on paper or
from a pulpit...concepts of millions for centuries.
Be still, prepare yourself and know God...or hear from God directly
in complete sentences, I mean.

i also stay low profile and avoid all that Facebook stuff.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I have compiled 28 pages of questions and comments on this book if anyone is interested. Just ask me for them.
How about taking a couple questions and showing your comments.
Then, post another couple in the same thread later for us who get busy and may not
bother to click onto a link cuz of the 100 things to get done in real life...not meaning
any disrespect to your blog.
I would love that, Willie.:)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about taking a couple questions and showing your comments.
Then, post another couple in the same thread later for us who get busy and may not
bother to click onto a link cuz of the 100 things to get done in real life...not meaning
any disrespect to your blog.
I would love that, Willie.:)
First, its not my blog. I don't have one. And if you don't have time to click a page ( not that I ever suggested that) then you would never have the time to wade through the 39 pages I have..... and it would probably be more like 380 pages if I put my answers to them. So don't sweat it. This is really for people with more time on their hands.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just tried to post Crystal's comments (a VERY small portion of the stuff I gathered) and this forum rejected it as "too many words."

B

Butterfly

I just tried to post Crystal's comments (a VERY small portion of the stuff I gathered) and this forum rejected it as "too many words."
Wow, it must have been long then, I have seen really long posts here. I actually went out and brought a copy of the book as my e reader copy does not line up with the page numbers used as references - also it's not that simple to find pages on the ereader - it was driving me nuts.
With Crystals comments , can you split it up and copy and paste each section seperately ?
Butterfly

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, it must have been long then, I have seen really long posts here. I actually went out and brought a copy of the book as my e reader copy does not line up with the page numbers used as references - also it's not that simple to find pages on the ereader - it was driving me nuts.
With Crystals comments , can you split it up and copy and paste each section seperately ?
Butterfly
You already have both of her comments in the email I sent you. Messing with more on this forum is just too much of a hassle since only a few of us seem to care about this anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those of you with little or no knowledge of the book, here is one passage that demonstrates why I like it so... Jesus and Mack are just lying by the dock, looking up at the stars:

Stillness had fallen like a blanket, and all Mack was really aware of was the sound of water lapping up against the dock. It was he who eventually broke the silence again.

“Jesus?”

“Yes, Mackenzie?”

“I am surprised by one thing about you.”

“Really? What?”

“I guess I expected you to be more,” be careful here, Mack, “uh... well, humanly
striking.”

Jesus chuckled. “Humanly striking? You mean handsome.” Now he was laughing.

“Well, I was trying to avoid that, but yes. Somehow I thought you’d be the ideal man, you know, athletic and overwhelmingly good looking.”

“It’s my nose, isn’t it?”

Mack didn’t know what to say.

Jesus laughed. “I am Jewish, you know. My grandfather on my mother’s side had a big nose; in fact, most of the men on my mom’s side had big noses.”

“I just thought you’d be better looking.”

“By whose standards? Anyway, once you really get to know me, it won’t matter to you.”

The words, though delivered kindly, stung. Stung what, exactly? Mack lay there a few seconds and realized that as much as he thought he knew Jesus, perhaps he didn’t... not really. Maybe what he knew was an icon, an ideal, an image through which he tried to grasp a sense of spirituality, but not a real person. “Why is that?” he finally asked. “You said if I really knew you it wouldn’t matter what you looked like . . .”

“It is quite simple really. Being always transcends appearance—that which only seems to be. Once you begin to know the being behind the very pretty or very ugly face, as determined by your bias, the surface appearances fade away until they simply no longer matter. That is why Elousia is such a wonderful name. God, who is the ground of all being, dwells in, around, and through all things—ultimately emerging as the real—and any appearances that mask that reality will fall away.”

Silence followed as Mack wrestled with what Jesus had said. He gave up after only a minute or two and decided to ask the riskier question.

“You said I don’t really know you. It would be a lot easier if we could always talk like this.”

“Admittedly, Mack, this is special. You were really stuck and we wanted to help you crawl out of your pain. But don’t think that just because I’m not visible, our relationship has to be less real. It will be different, but perhaps even more real.”

“How is that?”

“My purpose from the beginning was to live in you and you in me.”

“Wait, wait. Wait a minute. How can that happen? If you’re still fully human how can you be inside me?”

“Astounding, isn’t it? It’s Papa’s miracle. It is the power of Sarayu, my Spirit, the Spirit of God who restores the union that was lost so long ago. Me? I choose to live moment by moment fully human. I am fully God, but I am human to the core. Like I said, it’s Papa’s miracle.”

Mack was lying in the darkness, listening intently. “Aren’t you talking about a real indwelling, not just some positional, theological thing?”

“Of course,” answered Jesus, his voice strong and sure. “It’s what everything is all about. The human, formed out of the physical material Creation, can once more be fully indwelt by spiritual life, my life. It requires that a very real dynamic and active union exists.”

“That is almost unbelievable!” Mack exclaimed quietly. “I had no idea. I need to think more about this. But, I might have a lot more questions.”

“And we have your lifetime to sort through them,” Jesus chuckled. “But, enough of that for now. Let’s get lost again in the starry night.” In the silence that followed, Mack simply lay still, allowing the immensity of space and scattered light to dwarf him, letting his perceptions be captured by starlight and the thought that everything was about him... about the human race... that all this was all for us. After what seemed like a long time, it was Jesus who broke into the quiet.

“I’ll never get tired of looking at this. The wonder of it all—the wastefulness of Creation, as one of our brothers has called it. So elegant, so full of longing and beauty even now.”
(BTW, that statement about creation is from C. S. Lewis.)

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, its not my blog. I don't have one. And if you don't have time to click a page ( not that I ever suggested that) then you would never have the time to wade through the 39 pages I have..... and it would probably be more like 380 pages if I put my answers to them. So don't sweat it. This is really for people with more time on their hands.
Well, aren't you charming...sorry I showed any interest. c'ya
@Willie T

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
well, i'm more of a book guy, it may have just been the presentation or something.

I read the book through. Half my Christian friends loved it..the other half hated it.
I sent my copy to the thrift shop with other stuff.

It was only when I saw him interviewed on TV that I understood the message he was getting across. ( He only wrote it for this family...to explain to them why he was what he was, and his journey to where he is now..it was friends that read it and told him to share it with others)

I took object to him 'typing' the Holy Spirit...that is what shot the book in the foot for me.
I was never keen on a big fat female God type. But he explained that.

Try googling his testimony of why he wrote the book and the 'types' he has used in it. Then try the book...I had to go out and buy it again. :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW, I have compiled 28 pages of questions and comments on this book if anyone is interested. Just ask me for them.
I have not read The Shack, but conservative Christians believe that there is a great deal of heresy in this book.

Dr. Albert Mohler, President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary says, "This book includes undiluted heresy....Mark Driscoll, Pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle says, "Regarding the Trinity, it's actually heretical."
Despite the Bible's testimony to its own unique qualities, the majority of The Shack's references to Scripture are negative in their tone.
Though the cross is central to the Bible and central to the Christian faith, it appears only sparingly in The Shack. A person who is unfamiliar with the Christian faith will not be able to glean from this book a biblical understanding of what the cross was for and what Jesus' death accomplished. Nor will he understand how God saves us and what He saves us from.

'The Shack,' A Review | Boundless

B

Butterfly

I have not read The Shack, but conservative Christians believe that there is a great deal of heresy in this book.

'The Shack,' A Review | Boundless
And this is why you need to hear his testimony and understand why the book was originally written, only then will you grasp and understand the journey he was relaying within the Shack.
The Shack does mention the cross, quite a bit in fact. I use to follow the crowd and not read or watch things because someone else said it was wrong to, or they did not agree- not anymore. I read the book first time round with an open mind, and God used it to show me something personal. Then I carried on my journey. This time round I heard Pauls testimony and was blown away by it. How God used one act on his part , to relay his story to his own children privately, then expanded the audience in such an amazing way. It was hard to hear that without seeing Gods hand in it all. So that got my attention again, so re read it , and am now re reading it again as a basis of study.
For me it's personal, and if God uses it in my life to draw me nearer to him, then it carries on the testimony of this book.
If people want to damn it, criticise it, then that's fine - but I value it because it is someone else's testimony and part of their journey with God.
Butterfly

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
GOT CHA! Hi Willie. ou know my first contact was not in outer space but was direct contact with YHWH speaking in my ear, you know, in that luscious Green, Tropical Paradise where so many lucky fellows spent their Summer running up and down the beaches chasing the local babes and scouting the beautiful lakes and rivers for exotic fish to catch for their Graduation Celebration during the sixties and early seventies.

I will be frank, YHWH does not waqnt me to have an early escape path, therefore no, He will not do that because as soon as I verified His signature with the Credit Unions I would pass over because of Massive Coronary Arrest!

now that the old loud mouthed clown has spoken, YHWH will do as He does but He will not for me. My head, after that note would be the size of the truck that carries the Watermelons to the Farmer's Market but just as surely as He walked up and supped with Abraham, it is possible.

Reactions: Willie T

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
GOT CHA! Hi Willie. ou know my first contact was not in outer space but was direct contact with YHWH speaking in my ear, you know, in that luscious Green, Tropical Paradise where so many lucky fellows spent their Summer running up and down the beaches chasing the local babes and scouting the beautiful lakes and rivers for exotic fish to catch for their Graduation Celebration during the sixties and early seventies.

I will be frank, YHWH does not waqnt me to have an early escape path, therefore no, He will not do that because as soon as I verified His signature with the Credit Unions I would pass over because of Massive Coronary Arrest!

now that the old loud mouthed clown has spoken, YHWH will do as He does but He will not for me. My head, after that note would be the size of the truck that carries the Watermelons to the Farmer's Market but just as surely as He walked up and supped with Abraham, it is possible.
Thinking!!! YHWH, Yashuah ha'Mashiah and Ruah (God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit's names in the native tongue) will do noth8ing that violates or goes against the Eternal Written Word of our Elohim.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole thing of "The Shack hating" with my new minister has inspired me to copy the book to my hard drive so I can easily search any word or phrase in the whole thing at a moment's notice. And the one thing I have found (besides the fact that most of the detractors have never even read the book) is that every single objection I have read is just a "strawman" that the book never said, erected by haters in order to be able to have "something" to knock down. It is really a little pitiful to watch such desperation.

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It doesn't seem odd to you to make decisions about things you even admit you know nothing about?
When others have reviewed books, articles, etc. and have provided feedback (positive or negative), that can often suffice.