Is water baptism necessary for salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are going to charge me with heresy you need to be more specific than that. Otherwise you are bearing false witness.

Hmm, you speak against God's word which says repent and be baptized. That is enough, goodbye your on ignore and I hope someday you get saved by Christ, I will pray for your Salvation.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmm, you speak against God's word which says repent and be baptized. That is enough, goodbye your on ignore and I hope someday you get saved by Christ, I will pray for your Salvation.

thumbdown[1].gif
A discussion is one thing...but I believe that you will find telling another brother or sister that they are not a true Christian is against the forum rules!!

Reactions: reformed1689

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if it is, it is I doubt mods would do anything they never have before when people did all kinds of lies about me. Why should I care, when I say my piece I get attacked and I am not going to be a doormat to anyone anymore. If people can say I am wrong and don't know Christ than what is good for them is good for me.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Scripture says one must. I know evangelicals hate to really follow real Scripture and would rather do their own thing, but if evangelicals want to be followers of Christ then they must do all in Scripture. So many heresies in evangelicalism

Thinking your Catholic ,so my question when a baby is baptized is that good,will they have to do it again,I ask because a baby don't know what they are being baptized for?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking your Catholic ,so my question when a baby is baptized is that good,will they have to do it again,I ask because a baby don't know what they are being baptized for?

Not Catholic. When a baby is baptized it is good, does not matter if a baby knows. Entire households were baptized in the Bible and the practice of baptizing babies goes back to the beginning. It is a tradition of man that people must understand baptism, it is not a practice or understanding of the historic Church.

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not Catholic. When a baby is baptized it is good, does not matter if a baby knows. Entire households were baptized in the Bible and the practice of baptizing babies goes back to the beginning.

Entire households were baptized when they heard the word preached, believed and were born again. Babies don't have the capacity to understand the gospel. Nowhere in the n.t. is there one baby baptized. This is simply eisegesis on the part of those that think getting wet saves anyone.

It is a tradition of man that people must understand baptism, it is not a practice or understanding of the historic Church.
No, its biblical. When a person is saved, then they are baptized, not before. Thats why its called believers baptism.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Entire households were baptized when they heard the word preached, believed and were born again. Babies don't have the capacity to understand the gospel. Nowhere in the n.t. is there one baby baptized. This is simply eisegesis on the part of those that think getting wet saves anyone.

No, its biblical. When a person is saved, then they are baptized, not before. Thats why its called believers baptism.
Don't forget the reading into the NT that it is a full and equivalent import of the OT and therefore we baptize infants because infants were circumcised. Of course, one then has to wonder why female infants are baptized...

Reactions: Helen

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget the reading into the NT that it is a full and equivalent import of the OT and therefore we baptize infants because infants were circumcised. Of course, one then has to wonder why female infants are baptized...
Exactly. Also Paul says that not all Israel is of Israel or spiritual Israel. They are sons of Abraham by faith, not simply by being jewish, or circumcised. It was faith in the o.t., its faith in the new. God is consistent in His salvation.

Reactions: reformed1689

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
You didn't answer the question. I asked you if Paul and Peter agreed that baptism was necessary for salvation?
My answer was YES.

Again, Peter in Acts 2 preached the necessity of water baptism and from Galatians 1:23 Paul now preaches the faith (same faith Peter preached in Acts 2) that Saul once made havoc. Both men were inspired by the "one Spirit" so they did not contradict each other in the "one faith" they preached.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Yet Paul did not preach Baptism as part of salvation.
Yes he did, again Galatians 1:23 Saul once made havoc of the faith of the church at Jerusalem. The faith of the church at Jerusalem included Acts 2:38 that Paul now preacheth.

Romans 6:3-7
1 Cor 1:13-14
Gal 3:27
Eph 5:26
Col 2:11-14
Tts 3:5
.....are a few verse Paul taught the necessity of baptism.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he did, again Galatians 1:23 Saul once made havoc of the faith of the church at Jerusalem. The faith of the church at Jerusalem included Acts 2:38 that Paul now preacheth.

Romans 6:3-7
1 Cor 1:13-14
Gal 3:27
Eph 5:26
Col 2:11-14
Tts 3:5
.....are a few verse Paul taught the necessity of baptism.
Which one of those verses requires Baptism for Salvation? Even Acts 2:38 doesn't require it for salvation, but that's a whole other issue.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Which one of those verses requires Baptism for Salvation? Even Acts 2:38 doesn't require it for salvation, but that's a whole other issue.

Acts 2:38 has oth repentance AND baptism in the imperative commanding both.

Romans 6 one must first be baptized then one walks in 'newness of life'.

1 Cor 1:12-13 Paul shows for me to be "of Christ" Christ must have been 1) crucified for me and 2) I must be baptized in the name of Christ. Both must be true before on can be of Christ. Hence no one can be "of Paul" or any other man for neither are true of anyone but Christ.

Gal 3:27 baptism is how one gets in Christ and puts on Christ.

Eph 5:26 and Tts 3:5 both require a "laver of water" in order to be cleansed/saved.

Col 2 God does the work of removing the body of sin when one is buried in baptism.