It is no longer I that sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Romans 7:25
So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
But ye are not in the flesh, but In the spirit, of so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you.
Hi brakelite,

I'm wondering, if you are justified, that is, innocent, why do you need forgiveness?

Much love!
Do you not think that 1 John 1:9 applies after conversion as much as at the time of conversion?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Ezra,

I don't know about this free will stuff. Doesn't the Bible say that we are slaves to whom we obey?

Would it be fair to say that in this place God is teaching us that the flesh is a slave to sin, and the new creation spirit child of God is a slave to righteousness?

Much love!
so you dont believe God gave us free will? our old nature is still there ,the flesh can come out at any given moment. . so are you reformed belief ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you dont believe God gave us free will? our old nature is still there ,the flesh can come out at any given moment. . so are you reformed belief ?
No, my doctrine could not be described as "reformed", or Calvinistic.

But just the same, God has free will, and man does not. I can only choose within the confines of the choices offered to me. I can choose to turn left, or turn right, and I can walk either direction, I can walk forward, and backward, but I cannot, no matter how much I choose, I cannot walk down into the ground, or walk up into the sky. I am a slave to gravity, and a slave to particle physics. These limit my choices.

God has no limit on His choices, being the One true Sovereign.

But that's what reason tells me. What the Bible tells me is that we are slaves, either to sin or to righteousness, in the flesh to sin, in the spirit to righteousness.

If it is so that "if we walk in the Spirit, then we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh", then, an active Christian walk is a walk in righteousness, but if we become passive, and allow our body it's default mode, that is to sin. But as soon as we assert our child of God nature, that stops. The body will always serve sin, and the spirit will always serve God.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But ye are not in the flesh, but In the spirit, of so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you.

Do you not think that 1 John 1:9 applies after conversion as much as at the time of conversion?

Will that passage apply to this man?

Romans 4
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Does this man require forgiveness?

Much love!

Mal'ak

Jan 15, 2019
Cedar City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the sin that lives in me.

Romans 7

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

So when Paul writes, It is no more I that do it (evil, that is), but sins that lives in me,

What exactly is he saying here?

Much love!

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Lots of false doctrine appear, because Christians are scared of going to Hell. So they have the doctrine of "God controls my actions like a puppet and causes me to be perfect", which is a lie, since if God causes us to be perfect in all we do then why do you need to seek forgiveness? As John says in the above scripture, we all sin and God tells us we will sin, that is why he sacrificed his only begotten Son and commanded us to repent. But if we do repent, then we will be forgiven. In Romans 7 Paul is letting us know why we still sin even though we are Christians and we do not want too, the answer is very simple, our flesh is evil and moves us to think and do evil things. Our walk as a Christian is the trial of our faith, to resist the urges and lusts of the flesh to walk the righteous path.

Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What the Bible tells me is that we are slaves, either to sin or to righteousness, in the flesh to sin, in the spirit to righteousness.
i agree but to be slaves we have to yield to;
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

you have to look at yield in traffic law when driving it means to give ride away to .if its emergency vehicles we pull over allow them to go ahead , on the natural state we can say give into the flesh /sin . the Holy spirit gives us the power to live a life of holiness . WE have to make the choice yield/present .paul in Romans 12. present your bodies a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God which is our reasonable service . a title to a message i preached while back life has many choices eternity has 2 . we just got back from Branson mo seen the show samson very Bible based. his parents raised him right his strength physical and spiritual was obey the Lord no strong drink no cut the hair. he fooled around with delilah.he told her his secret .he presented her . this free will is not a license to sin . but a obligation to do right. FREE WILL lives we can either be slaves of sin or slaves of righteousness .............. our choice . let me finish with this scripture says
1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you,that {ye sin not.} { And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:} he tells us SIN NOT butttttttttttttttt if WE DO we have a advocate ..i rest my case

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will that passage apply to this man?

Romans 4
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

Much love!
is this a license to sin and still make it to heaven ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So they have the doctrine of "God controls my actions like a puppet and causes me to be perfect",
Hi Mal'ak,

Do you understand that this is not what I'm talking about?

My reason for posting this thread is to highlight the Biblical truth that while as believers we still commit sins, this does not mean that we are unholy or unrighteous. Our behavior may be unrighteous, but this Scripture attributes the source of that behavior not to me, the new creation, the child of God, but to the body of flesh, the corrupt child of Adam.

My point is to highlight that Scripture tells us that before we are reborn, we are the sinner, but after we are reborn, we are a new creature, never sinned, and does not sin, cannot sin. Sin's source is the old man, but we're not him anymore.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is this a license to sin and still make it to heaven ?
What is a "license to sin"?

If someone is born again, that's not what they want. If someone isn't born again, well, they are slaves to sin, and the point is moot.

Much love!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have an answer to my question?

Much love!
lol yuppers
If someone is born again, that's not what they want. If someone isn't born again, well, they are slaves to sin, and the point is moot.
you twisted it around its not what they want .. nobody intends to purposely sin ..but we will your point is not moot. have you ever got angry car cut you off gita bit of road rage? ever got so made you was close to wanting to punch some one. ? have you ever seen another woman and thought for a second .thoughts go crazy? see them are just some everyday examples ..we have to make a choice for example it has been told Billy graham refused to ride in a elevator or car alone with another woman. !! he made the choice --- romans 13
12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. what does that say ? here paul is talking to the roman christians . to be honest your about as close to calvinist doctrine as there is. see that is your choice

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4

Who is this man to whom the Lord will not impute sin?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you twisted it around its not what they want .. nobody intends to purposely sin ..
Then how does this relate to wanting a license to sin, as it were? I get a license to drive because I want to drive. So a license to sin is for those who want to sin, or did you mean something different?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By my observation, a very difficult thing is for the Christian to understand and receive in their heart the reality of what God has done for us. Our sins are gone. Never coming back. And He will never stop loving us, His righteous and holy children. And one day, even this pesky source of the sins in our lives now, the flesh, one day this too will be fixed.

The Scripture declare this, and if we can stay focused on the Scriptures, and accept as truth what they say, our lives will be transformed into what we've always wanted.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you are unrightfully angry, or when you are hating someone, or when you are consumed with envy . . . is this the mind of the flesh that is thinking and feeling these things, or the mind of Christ?

Much love!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how does this relate to wanting a license to sin, as it were? I get a license to drive because I want to drive. So a license to sin is for those who want to sin, or did you mean something different?

Much love!
if you have failed to understand at this point.. you will never understand sorry

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scripture declare this, and if we can stay focused on the Scriptures, and accept as truth what they say, our lives will be transformed into what we've always wanted.
you just used two words IF ACCEPT YOU JUST USED FREE WILL :eek::eek:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4

Who is this man to whom the Lord will not impute sin?
I think the man who repents without guile, thinking to return like a dog to its vomit.

Psalm 32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but a obligation to do right.

Romans 8
9 And ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God doth dwell in you; and if any one hath not the Spirit of Christ -- this one is not His;
10 and if Christ [is] in you, the body, indeed, [is] dead because of sin, and the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness,
11 and if the Spirit of Him who did raise up Jesus out of the dead doth dwell in you, He who did raise up the Christ out of the dead shall quicken also your dying bodies, through His Spirit dwelling in you.
12 So, then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh;
13 for if according to the flesh ye do live, ye are about to die; and if, by the Spirit, the deeds of the body ye put to death, ye shall live;
14 for as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God;

No obligation to the the flesh - why? How?

Because it's not me.

If the Spirit of God lives in you, then you are not in the flesh, but are in the Spirit. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead, but you are alive. How is this? Because I'm not him.

So I don't have to do what he wants. The old man. We are under obligation to live according to the Spirit - again, why?

Because he is over. His day is past. He will be no more. The one who lives forever is me, not him.

Much love!