It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please, please would you stop sniping at each other? It makes for an unpleasant experience in reading this thread.
And when YOU can show me where where I used red herrings or straw men, as you falsely accused me of - you can have a say in our conversation.

So far, you have failed to show me any evidence . . .

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's NOT what I asked you.
I asked you to show me where I used red herrings or straw men.

If you can't do that - then maybe you shouldn't falsely accuse people . . .

Please read #1253.

mjrhealth said:
What and get you pour more petrol on to the stake. no thanks, youve burned enough people. Besides it would be pointless, you have your heart and head set in stone, even to the point it would seem impossible that even God could change you. There are many disapointed religious people who are not with God. Love there religion more than Him as if there religion can save anyone. Beside your are here for no purpose but to disagree with everyone. " I am the way teh truth and the Life says BOL and everyone who disagrees with me is a heretic,,, that includes you God.​

Your response was:

TRANSLATION:
"I incorrectly used the terms "red herring" and "straw man" - and you caught me."​

That was not the topic he raised. You switched topics. Therefore you committed a red herring fallacy, which is a beside-the-point fallacy, a changing-the-topic fallacy, a false emphasis fallacy. It's a fallacy because you used erroneous reasoning. It is not saying anything about you personally, but demonstrating your fallacious reasoning.

A red herring is:

Description: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument.

Logical Form:
Argument A is presented by person 1.
Person 2 introduces argument B.
Argument A is abandoned.​

Yes, you did use a red herring fallacy here and I've read you doing it on other occasions. I'm not going to search for the times I've seen you do it.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And when YOU can show me where where I used red herrings or straw men, as you falsely accused me of - you can have a say in our conversation.

So far, you have failed to show me any evidence . . .

Again you've used a red herring fallacy because you did not deal with the issue I raised of your flaming each other. See #1282 for an explanation of how you use a red herring fallacy. Here you've done it again.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The founders of the Reformation believed that Mary was ever-virgin

Martin Luther:
"It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin....Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact." (Weimer, The Works of Luther, English Transl. by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v.11,pp. 319-320; v. 6 p. 510.)

"Christ...was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him..."brothers" really means "cousins" here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers. (Sermons on John, chapters 1-4, 1537-39.)

"He, Christ, our Savior, was the real and natural fruit of Mary's virginal womb...This was without the cooperation of a man, and she remained a virgin after that." (Ibid.)

John Calvin:
"There have been certain folk who have wished to suggest that from this passage (Matt 1:25) that the Virgin Mary had other children than the Son of God, and that Joseph then dwelt with her later; but what folly this is! For the gospel writer did not wish to record what happened afterwards; he simply wished to make clear Joseph's obedience and to show also that Joseph had been well and truly assured that it was God who had sent His angel to Mary. He had therefore never dwelt with her nor had he shared her company....And besides this Our Lord Jesus Christ is called the first-born. This is not because there was a second or a third, but because the gospel writer is paying regard to the precedence. Scripture speaks thus of naming the first-born whether or not there was any question of the second." (Sermon on Matthew 1:22-25, published 1562.)

Ulrich Zwingli:
"I esteem immensely the Mother of God, the ever chaste, immaculate Virgin Mary....Christ...was born of a most undefiled Virgin." (Stakemeier, E. in De Mariologia et Oecumenismo, Balic, K., ed., Rome, 1962, p. 456.)

"I firmly believe that Mary, according to the words of the gospel as a pure Virgin brought forth for us the Son of God and in childbirth and after childbirth forever remained a pure, intact Virgin." (Zwingli Opera, Corpus Reformatorum, Berlin, 1905, in Evang. Luc., v. 1, p. 424.)

Does that mean that the founders of the Reformation were heretics promoting false doctrines?
Was Protestantism founded by heretics?

Quoting John Calvin to deal with the perpetual virginity of Mary is pointless as there would be other Calvin doctrines with which you would disagree.

Calvin believed in double predestination. i.e. Christians are predestined to salvation and unbelievers are predestined to damnation by God. Do you believe this? Well it is a doctrine Calvin supported.

To demonstrate this, see my article, Did John Calvin believe in double predestination?

Oz

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quoting John Calvin to deal with the perpetual virginity of Mary is pointless as there would be other Calvin doctrines with which you would disagree
I don't have a problem with that. Is it possible to agree with a man (John Calvin) on one issue and disagree on another? I mean, he's not Jesus or one of the Apostles. I actually have read his work as well as many other theologans like Luther and Tertullian and agree with some things and disagree with others.

I do that with members of this board too, and they probably agree with some things I say and also disagree with some things I say. You Oz, for example. I recognize a talent but sometimes I disagree.

So no... I don't see it as pointless for someone to hold to one Calvin point because they reject others. As a matter of fact, I don't agree with Calvin or Luther on the point of Mary... I agree wirh other things they said.

So you want to say its pointless for someone to point to Calvin's teaching on Mary because they reject teachings on double predestination?

And what was the definition of a red herring fallacy? Something about redirecting the arguement (as in... From Calvin's thoughts on Mary being redirected to double predestination) ?

Reactions: Helen

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you understand the word "die" as in "For in Adam all die..."

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the
soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Isaiah 26:14
They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore has thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

To God Be The Glory
J
You should use the "Reply" button down on the right hand corner.
It's the only way people will see your reply to them...

There are three types of death.
Physical death
Spiritual death (before we know Jesus)
Eternal death ...if we die lost, we will be dead forever.
If we die saved, we will live forever.. Live in the sense of having the Holy Spirit.
Dead in the sense of being spiritually dead, as above...

Paul said it is appointed for man to die once and then comes the judgement.
Hebrews 9:27

If our soul lives on forever, doesn't it have to be alive somewhere?
If in heaven with God, or in some other place without God.
No one can really know what hell is like, but Jesus did say that there will be crying and gnashing of teeth.
Luke 13:28
Mathew 8:12 and more...

For In Adam All Die...this meant both spiritually and physically.
They died spiritually because their relationship with God had ended, and physically because they also began to die physically.. as we all do from birth.

Mathew 10:28
This tells me not to fear those that can destroy my body, because I will go on living in the hereafter,
But fear those who destroy the soul because it will live on forever.
I don't understand the word destroy as you do. Who the "those" are, I'm not sure. I would say anyone who could lead us astray, as also it wold be "those" that could kill the body - which is happening at this time in history, and has always happened.

Destroy, Destruction

"Destroy" in the Bible usually refers to violent action causing physical death ( Num 16:33 ; Psalm 2:12 ; Heb. abad [d;b'a]). But less intense meanings may be denoted. Exodus 10:7 describes economic ruin (cf. Matt 9:17, ; Gk. apollumi [ajpovllumi] ). In 1 Samuel 9:3 abad [d;b'a] refers to lost animals (cf. Matt 10:6 ). In the New Testament katargeo [katargevw] can mean "render powerless, ineffective" ( Heb 2:14 ).

Source: biblestudytools.com

I believe that to base such a concept on one word ... destroy ... is not sufficient. There must be other reasons...

[/QUOTE]

How much more sufficient and reasons do yo need when God said:

1 They are dead!
2 They shall not live!
3 They are deceased
4 They shall not rise!
5 All their memory to perish (all gone)!
6 Destroyed them! According to above…..annihilated!

Today, if there will be a nuclear war, a city and its’ population will not only be destroyed but obliterated. Poof.

And, that is the gist of God’s word as He spoke through Isaiah 26:14.

Don’t argue with me. I’m only echoing the words in Isaiah 26:14, and God there was speaking of eternal death as you’ve understood it to mean. However, if you think you know more than God, then take it up with Him.

But acknowledge this, “Let God be true and all men liars!”

To God Be The Glory

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
J
You should use the "Reply" button down on the right hand corner.
It's the only way people will see your reply to them...

There are three types of death.
Physical death
Spiritual death (before we know Jesus)
Eternal death ...if we die lost, we will be dead forever.
If we die saved, we will live forever.. Live in the sense of having the Holy Spirit.
Dead in the sense of being spiritually dead, as above...

Paul said it is appointed for man to die once and then comes the judgement.
Hebrews 9:27

If our soul lives on forever, doesn't it have to be alive somewhere?
If in heaven with God, or in some other place without God.
No one can really know what hell is like, but Jesus did say that there will be crying and gnashing of teeth.
Luke 13:28
Mathew 8:12 and more...

For In Adam All Die...this meant both spiritually and physically.
They died spiritually because their relationship with God had ended, and physically because they also began to die physically.. as we all do from birth.

Mathew 10:28
This tells me not to fear those that can destroy my body, because I will go on living in the hereafter,
But fear those who destroy the soul because it will live on forever.
I don't understand the word destroy as you do. Who the "those" are, I'm not sure. I would say anyone who could lead us astray, as also it wold be "those" that could kill the body - which is happening at this time in history, and has always happened.

Destroy, Destruction

"Destroy" in the Bible usually refers to violent action causing physical death ( Num 16:33 ; Psalm 2:12 ; Heb. abad [d;b'a]). But less intense meanings may be denoted. Exodus 10:7 describes economic ruin (cf. Matt 9:17, ; Gk. apollumi [ajpovllumi] ). In 1 Samuel 9:3 abad [d;b'a] refers to lost animals (cf. Matt 10:6 ). In the New Testament katargeo [katargevw] can mean "render powerless, ineffective" ( Heb 2:14 ).

Source: biblestudytools.com

I believe that to base such a concept on one word ... destroy ... is not sufficient. There must be other reasons...

How much more sufficient and reasons do yo need when God said:

1 They are dead!
2 They shall not live!
3 They are deceased
4 They shall not rise!
5 All their memory to perish (all gone)!
6 Destroyed them! According to above…..annihilated!

Today, if there will be a nuclear war, a city and its’ population will not only be destroyed but obliterated. Poof.

And, that is the gist of God’s word as He spoke through Isaiah 26:14.

Don’t argue with me. I’m only echoing the words in Isaiah 26:14, and God there was speaking of eternal death as you’ve understood it to mean. However, if you think you know more than God, then take it up with Him.

But acknowledge this, “Let God be true and all men liars!”

To God Be The Glory
Whew!
OK.
These days when two don't agree, one is told to take it up with God.
Problem is that YOU are in the minority.
Mostly all (I said mostly) theologians agree that there is a place called hell -- whatever that may be.

If there is a God, there must be a satan.
If there is a heaven, there must be a hell -- someplace where God is NOT present.

You can't really go by the O.T. since they understood death and hell to be different. As you must know, there's more than one word for hell in Hebrew.

It would be interesting to have your take on Luke 16, the Rich Man and Lazarus...

But never mind.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
totally irrelevant.

It's right on target. In #1282, I explained the nature of a red herring fallacy.

In my discussion with you re Calvin's support of the perpetual virginity of Mary and his doctrine of double predestination, would you please direct me to where I stated you committed a red herring when discussing these topics?:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my discussion with you re Calvin's support of the perpetual virginity of Mary and his doctrine of double predestination, would you please direct me to where I stated you committed a red herring when discussing these topics?:
We haven't had a discussion. I pointed out an error in your logic, but we haven't had a discussion.

By the way, isn't all this complaining about red herrings a red herring itself?

Answer: yes, it is.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read #1253.
mjrhealth said:
What and get you pour more petrol on to the stake. no thanks, youve burned enough people. Besides it would be pointless, you have your heart and head set in stone, even to the point it would seem impossible that even God could change you. There are many disapointed religious people who are not with God. Love there religion more than Him as if there religion can save anyone. Beside your are here for no purpose but to disagree with everyone. " I am the way teh truth and the Life says BOL and everyone who disagrees with me is a heretic,,, that includes you God.​

Your response was:

TRANSLATION:
"I incorrectly used the terms "red herring" and "straw man" - and you caught me."​

That was not the topic he raised. You switched topics. Therefore you committed a red herring fallacy, which is a beside-the-point fallacy, a changing-the-topic fallacy, a false emphasis fallacy. It's a fallacy because you used erroneous reasoning. It is not saying anything about you personally, but demonstrating your fallacious reasoning.

A red herring is:

Description: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument.

Logical Form:
Argument A is presented by person 1.
Person 2 introduces argument B.
Argument A is abandoned.​

Yes, you did use a red herring fallacy here and I've read you doing it on other occasions. I'm not going to search for the times I've seen you do it.
Oz
Ummmmm, mjrhealth's post was in response to MY post #1248 asking him to show me where I used red herrings or straw men, Einstein.

Pay attention - or butt out . . .

Reactions: FHII

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again you've used a red herring fallacy because you did not deal with the issue I raised of your flaming each other. See #1282 for an explanation of how you use a red herring fallacy. Here you've done it again.
Nice try.
Next time - make sure you have some evidence before make these kinds of false accusations.

Now - can you debate the topic - or have you run out of things to say?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We haven't had a discussion. I pointed out an error in your logic, but we haven't had a discussion.

By the way, isn't all this complaining about red herrings a red herring itself?

Answer: yes, it is.

Please become informed of the nature of logical fallacies and the damage they do to logical, reasonable and rational discussions in any conversation, including on a Christian Forum.

Pointing out a logical fallacy is not a red herring but an attempt to get the discussion back on track without the use of erroneous reasoning that fouls up conversation.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice try.
Next time - make sure you have some evidence before make these kinds of false accusations.

Now - can you debate the topic - or have you run out of things to say?
images

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting... I back-tracked through this thread back to post #1230. It is a wonderful comedy of errors. I've seen lots of bickering, people not understanding what a primary source and a secondary source is, people making rediculously illogical claims, people thinking posts are directed to them when they aren't and everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy.

But there was not much about doctrines spoken of. Just mostly jabs and red herring talk, which makes the red herring accusations a red herring itself. Pretty amusing!

Also... I didn't read anywhere BoL committing a red herring fallacy dating back to post 1230.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting... I back-tracked through this thread back to post #1230. It is a wonderful comedy of errors. I've seen lots of bickering, people not understanding what a primary source and a secondary source is, people making rediculously illogical claims, people thinking posts are directed to them when they aren't and everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy.

But there was not much about doctrines spoken of. Just mostly jabs and red herring talk, which makes the red herring accusations a red herring itself. Pretty amusing!

Also... I didn't read anywhere BoL committing a red herring fallacy dating back to post 1230.

Your assertions/opinions here prove nothing without specific evidence.

upload_2017-10-28_14-4-14.jpeg

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well then as evidence I present to you posts 1230 through 1294. Its all there: archieved for all to see.

You must think I'm foolish. Your first post between 1230-1294 is at #1285. So are you banking on others like BoL to provide your evidence?

It was you who wrote:

I've seen lots of bickering, people not understanding what a primary source and a secondary source is, people making rediculously (sic) illogical claims, people thinking posts are directed to them when they aren't and everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy.​

You have made these claims, now provide the specific evidence, instead of passing the buck and inviting others and me to check 1230-1294 for that evidence.

Is the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) a primary or secondary source? This seems a reasonable accurate response:

The Catechism is not a primary source. It is rather a secondary source. If you look at the footnotes in the CCC, those are mostly primary sources.

Ratzinger, in Introduction to the Universal Catechism page 25 says specifically that the Catechism is not a super dogma and has no authority above what was previously said in the documents that it cites (source).​

You claim: 'everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy'. That's a humongous hyperbole!

Oz

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You must think I'm foolish. Your first post between 1230-1294 is at #1285. So are you banking on others like BoL to provide your evidence?

It was you who wrote:

I've seen lots of bickering, people not understanding what a primary source and a secondary source is, people making rediculously (sic) illogical claims, people thinking posts are directed to them when they aren't and everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy.​

You have made these claims, now provide the specific evidence, instead of passing the buck and inviting others and me to check 1230-1294 for that evidence.

Is the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) a primary or secondary source? This seems a reasonable accurate response:

The Catechism is not a primary source. It is rather a secondary source. If you look at the footnotes in the CCC, those are mostly primary sources.

Ratzinger, in Introduction to the Universal Catechism page 25 says specifically that the Catechism is not a super dogma and has no authority above what was previously said in the documents that it cites (source).​

You claim: 'everyone is going crazy in accusing everyone else of red herring fallacy'. That's a humongous hyperbole!

Oz
The thread title: It is not in the bible.....sola scripture
has nothing to do with the OP: "
so why is it believed and accepted that Mary had children other than Jesus."
It has been answered with post #4, 6, 8, and 9 on the first page, with some posts weightier than others.
The thread has degenerated into a bar room brawl and should be closed.

All the dictionaries on line give the same or similar definitions for a primary source.
Primary Sources. A primary source provides direct or firsthand evidence about an event, object, person, or work of art. Primary sources include historical and legal documents, eyewitness accounts, results of experiments, statistical data, pieces of creative writing, audio and video recordings, speeches, and art objects ...
The footnotes of the CCC are not add-ons. The CCC is in condensed form of the footnotes. It includes numerous scripture references and a wealth of authentic history of doctrine and practice. It is a primary source.
Yahoo answers is not a reliable source of information on Catholic teaching.

Here is what the then Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope B16) actually said:

This brings us to the question already mentioned before, regarding the authority of the Catechism. In order to find the answer, let us first consider a bit more closely its juridical character. We could express it in this way: analogously to the new Code of Canon Law, the Catechism is de facto a collegial work; canonically, it falls under the special jurisdiction of the Pope, inasmuch as it was authorized for the whole Christian world by the Holy Father in virtue of the supreme teaching authority invested in him. . .

This does not mean that the catechism is a sort of super-dogma, as its opponents would like to insinuate in order to cast suspicion on its as a danger to the liberty of theology. What significance the Catechism really holds for the common exercise of teaching in the Church may be learned by reading the Apostolic Constitution Fidei depositum, with which the Pope promulgated it on October 11, 1992–exactly thirty years after the opening of the Second Vatican Council: "I acknowledge it [the Catechism] as a valid and legitimate tool in the service of ecclesiastical communion, as a sure norm for instruction in the faith."

The individual doctrine which the Catechism presents receive no other weight than that which they already possess. The weight of the Catechism itself lies in the whole. Since it transmits what the Church teaches, whoever rejects it as a whole separates himself beyond question from the faith and teaching of the Church...

Thus the Catechism presents the teaching of the Church without elevating the doctrinal status of those teachings beyond what they otherwise have. Consequently, one must look to other documents and to the tradition of the Church to establish the doctrinal weight of any particular point in the Catechism. Since the Catechism treats many things that not only have not been taught infallibly but which also have been proposed in the most tentative of fashions (esp. in the area of social teaching), there remains due liberty for theologians (and others) when they encounter something that has been proposed only tentatively.

This was what allowed Cardinal Ratzinger to say, in his 2004 memorandum, that "There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia."

This brings us to the question already mentioned before, regarding the authority of the Catechism. In order to find the answer, let us first consider a bit more closely its juridical character. We could express it in this way: analogously to the new Code of Canon Law, the Catechism is de facto a collegial work; canonically, it falls under the special jurisdiction of the Pope, inasmuch as it was authorized for the whole Christian world by the Holy Father in virtue of the supreme teaching authority invested in him. . .

This does not mean that the catechism is a sort of super-dogma, as its opponents would like to insinuate in order to cast suspicion on its as a danger to the liberty of theology. What significance the Catechism really holds for the common exercise of teaching in the Church may be learned by reading the Apostolic Constitution Fidei depositum, with which the Pope promulgated it on October 11, 1992–exactly thirty years after the opening of the Second Vatican Council: "I acknowledge it [the Catechism] as a valid and legitimate tool in the service of ecclesiastical communion, as a sure norm for instruction in the faith."

The individual doctrine which the Catechism presents receive no other weight than that which they already possess. The weight of the Catechism itself lies in the whole. Since it transmits what the Church teaches, whoever rejects it as a whole separates himself beyond question from the faith and teaching of the Church [pp. 25-27. NOTE: The paragraph breaks above are mine. While the catechism may not be a super-dogma, Ratzinger said all this (and more) in a single super-paragraph].​

Thus the Catechism presents the teaching of the Church without elevating the doctrinal status of those teachings beyond what they otherwise have. Consequently, one must look to other documents and to the tradition of the Church to establish the doctrinal weight of any particular point in the Catechism. Since the Catechism treats many things that not only have not been taught infallibly but which also have been proposed in the most tentative of fashions (esp. in the area of social teaching), there remains due liberty for theologians (and others) when they encounter something that has been proposed only tentatively.

This was what allowed Cardinal Ratzinger to say, in his 2004 memorandum, that "There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia." http://jimmyakin.com/2005/02/ratzinger_on_th.html

So somebody takes one line out of context and pastes it into Yahoo answers and they win first place. Typical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FHII