It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BoL,

I did go back and read it.

This is all that I saw to read from my end at #1230:

In other words - you have nothing useful to add to the conversation.
That's what I thought . . .

I'll check to see if there is something I have done at my end that caused mjrhealth's post to be unseen.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention.

Oz
Do you have him on "ignore"?
That might be the issue. Whatever it is, it sounds like a technical problem.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks BoL,

I've just checked and I did have him on ignore. He is now unignored and I see his back quote at #1230. Thanks so much for helping me know what is going on for me.

Oz
Good - then you can see that the "red herring" and "Straw man" comments were directed at him and not you.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is nothing to add, you have no care for teh things of God, all you are interested in, is your religion. It is all the religious do, is promote there religions, you are just another one of the many. 13 years of killing Gods children, it thought would be enough, seems not for you.

Act_9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

What has Acts 9:4 to do with BoL's religion? I also think you are a bit tough on BoL by accusing him of having no care for the things of God. Could he care for the things of God, but not the way you would like him to care?

I can't see you getting an informative response from BoL with this kind of post.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good - then you can see that the "red herring" and "Straw man" comments were directed at him and not you.

Red herring and strawman fallacies are errors in reasoning that you've made. Why don't you learn how you are using them and try to quit using such fallacious reasoning?

It's nigh impossible to have a reasonable conversation when people use logical fallacies.

Oz

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Red herring and strawman fallacies are errors in reasoning that you've made. Why don't you learn how you are using them and try to quit using such fallacious reasoning?

It's nigh impossible to have a reasonable conversation when people use logical fallacies.

Oz
And, as I challenged mjrhealth to explain where I used a red herring OR a straw man - I now ask YOU to do the same.
He failed - will YOU?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's read the context of Mark 4:30-34 (NIV):

30 Again he said, “What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? 31 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth. 32 Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.”

33 With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. 34 He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.​

Jesus was talking about the flow on from the mustard seed parable. Please note ALL of v. 34, 'He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything'. He spoke the mustard seed parable to the disciples but then 'he explained everything' to them and that was not a parable.

Please tell me: Are these words from Jesus a parable?
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Matt 25:31-46 NIV).​

Yes, Jesus spoke some parables, but there is much that he said that was narrative and not parable, like this: “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Matt 25:46 NIV).

Please try making that into a parable.

Oz

Mark 4:30-34 must be read in light of Mark 4:10ff. A parable does not necessarily begin with, “the kingdom of God is like...”

A parable is an earthly story with a spiritual / heavenly meaning. This makes the whole Bible a parable as it is the story book of God to mankind, therefore the Bible must be spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2:14

Now, you asked a question concerning Matthew 25:31-46 if it is a parable. As I’ve already alluded to above, yes, most definitely, it is a parable. However, I will not exegete every verse.

If I have to put a title to Matthew 25:31-46, I will write, “The Judgment of the Gentiles.”

Already in verses 32-34, we can see this as a parable / spiritual meaning, as Jesus is making a distinction between saved and unsaved people, yet He speaks of them as sheep and goats.

Verses 35-45 if isolated, looks like we can go to heaven on our own works.

Verse 41, are those for ever lost and destroyed.

Verse 46, tells us how the unsaved will get their reward of eternal punishment but the righteous unto life everlasting. Note how God’s love and compassion really shows for His creation for there really is no eternal suffering for the unsaved just complete annihilation, for Scripture declares, “The wages of sin is death.

Matthew 25:31-46 is really a beautiful illustration of God’s love for His creation for He does not wish for anyone to perish, but He is a Holy God and must punish the unsaved but He does it with love!

The above is just an outline but I know you get the gist.

To God Be The Glory

[/QUOTE]

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Mark 4:30-34 must be read in light of Mark 4:10ff. A parable does not necessarily begin with, “the kingdom of God is like...”

A parable is an earthly story with a spiritual / heavenly meaning. This makes the whole Bible a parable as it is the story book of God to mankind, therefore the Bible must be spiritually discerned.

Now, you asked a question concerning Matthew 25:31-46 if it is a parable. As I’ve already alluded to above, yes, most definitely, it is a parable. However, I will not exegete every verse.

If I have to put a title to Matthew 25:31-46, I will write, “The Judgment of the Gentiles.”

Already in verses 32-34, we can see this as a parable / spiritual meaning, as Jesus is making a distinction between saved and unsaved people, yet He speaks of them as sheep and goats.

Verse 46, tells us how the unsaved will get their reward of eternal punishment but the righteous unto life everlasting. Note how God’s love and compassion really shows for His creation for there really is no eternal suffering for the unsaved just complete annihilation, for Scripture declares, “The wages of sin is death.

Matthew 25:31-46 is really a beautiful illustration of God’s love for His creation for He does not wish for anyone to perish, but He is a Holy God and must punish the unsaved but He does it with love!

To God Be The Glory

[/QUOTE]

The above is for ozspen.

I'd like to understand how you've come to believe in annihilation (annihialism?)

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The above is for ozspen.

I'd like to understand how you've come to believe in annihilation (annihialism?)[/QUOTE]

How do you understand the word "die" as in "For in Adam all die..."

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the
soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Isaiah 26:14
They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore has thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

To God Be The Glory

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And, as I challenged mjrhealth to explain where I used a red herring OR a straw man - I now ask YOU to do the same.
He failed - will YOU?

I've already explained to you what a red herring is in #1228. I won't repeat it.

In #1266, I provided links to a website that explained red herring and strawman. Please become informed by reading these links and understand how you do it.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Please refer me to Scriptures that agree with your statement: 'This makes the whole Bible a parable'.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The above is for ozspen.

I'd like to understand how you've come to believe in annihilation (annihialism?)

How do you understand the word "die" as in "For in Adam all die..."

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the
soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Isaiah 26:14
They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore has thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

To God Be The Glory[/QUOTE]
J
You should use the "Reply" button down on the right hand corner.
It's the only way people will see your reply to them...

There are three types of death.
Physical death
Spiritual death (before we know Jesus)
Eternal death ...if we die lost, we will be dead forever.
If we die saved, we will live forever.. Live in the sense of having the Holy Spirit.
Dead in the sense of being spiritually dead, as above...

Paul said it is appointed for man to die once and then comes the judgement.
Hebrews 9:27

If our soul lives on forever, doesn't it have to be alive somewhere?
If in heaven with God, or in some other place without God.
No one can really know what hell is like, but Jesus did say that there will be crying and gnashing of teeth.
Luke 13:28
Mathew 8:12 and more...

For In Adam All Die...this meant both spiritually and physically.
They died spiritually because their relationship with God had ended, and physically because they also began to die physically.. as we all do from birth.

Mathew 10:28
This tells me not to fear those that can destroy my body, because I will go on living in the hereafter,
But fear those who destroy the soul because it will live on forever.
I don't understand the word destroy as you do. Who the "those" are, I'm not sure. I would say anyone who could lead us astray, as also it wold be "those" that could kill the body - which is happening at this time in history, and has always happened.

Destroy, Destruction

"Destroy" in the Bible usually refers to violent action causing physical death ( Num 16:33 ; Psalm 2:12 ; Heb. abad [d;b'a]). But less intense meanings may be denoted. Exodus 10:7 describes economic ruin (cf. Matt 9:17, ; Gk. apollumi [ajpovllumi] ). In 1 Samuel 9:3 abad [d;b'a] refers to lost animals (cf. Matt 10:6 ). In the New Testament katargeo [katargevw] can mean "render powerless, ineffective" ( Heb 2:14 ).

Source: biblestudytools.com

I believe that to base such a concept on one word ... destroy ... is not sufficient. There must be other reasons...

Reactions: OzSpen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

To God Be The Glory

I think you confuse analogy with parable. The example of the sheep and the goats is an analogy that Jesus used to teach the differentiation of the fixed destiny of believers (sheep) and the damned (goats).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've already explained to you what a red herring is in #1228. I won't repeat it.

In #1266, I provided links to a website that explained red herring and strawman. Please become informed by reading these links and understand how you do it.
That's NOT what I asked you.
I asked you to show me where I used red herrings or straw men.

If you can't do that - then maybe you shouldn't falsely accuse people . . .

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Tough nut to crack. Yet to see you add anything usefull. and teh catholics dont own it...

mjr,

I ask you also not to flame BoL. This thread has become a quagmire of unpleasant jibes at one another. Please stop it, for the benefit of us all.

images