1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics Forum' started by twinc, Apr 3, 2017.

1. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    @Marymog

Read the verses posted below and then tell me what is wrong with your understanding:

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" II Cor 6:14

"The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD." Hosea 1:2

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." Malachi 3:6

2. Marymog

Marymog Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Amadeus,

I have a novel idea I would love to try with you. Answer my question first and I will answer yours (its' called a conversation):

According to YOUR THEORY once God has said yea to me and nay to you OR nay to me and yea to you on any of those subjects I mentioned we are both right!! How are we both right???

Mary

3. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So long as you call my beliefs a theory, I have no answers for you. You want to belittle what others believe because it does not fit your understanding then so be it. When you change your tune, then I will consider your "novel idea". Would it be OK for me to call what Catholics believe a theory?

bbyrd009 likes this.
  4. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yes, it would be ok to call what Catholics believe a theory.

I didn't think you were serious about having a CONVERSATION.

Once the hard and unanswerable questions are asked of you, you make it sound like it is my fault that you are leaving the conversation. Typical men.

Theory defined: a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based. Your belief and RCC belief fits this

5. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I did answer every question you put to me. I cannot help that you did not understand my answers. For me a theory is something based on scientific evidence, but insufficient to call it a fact. That was what I learned in science courses more than 40 years ago.

While I understand that people may use this other definition which you cited, I was really not understanding your meaning. But given that definition I have no further objections to your usage. To me as I understood it with regard to a person's beliefs about God, it seemed to be derogatory. I see that I was wrong. I apologize.

Marymog likes this.
  6. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The verses I cited in post #1581 were really addressing your question. How could Hosea be right to marry a prostitute when Paul's writing says not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. Both writers are accepted as men of God. Both of them were right, are they not? If not, why not?

7. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    other pertinent reflections will be had considering what is a sin for you might not be a sin for me

8. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hi Amadeus,

To be "unequally yoked with unbelievers" means don't marry (in this case Gomer) someone who doesn't believe in God.

Are you saying that Gomer was an unbeliever? I don't see that anywhere in scripture. Do you?

As you know Gomer left Hosea at God's command and Hosea brought her back. Maybe Hosea’s marriage to Gomer was an image of God’s relationship with Israel since Israel often betrayed its spousal covenant with God by worshipping the false pagan gods. Maybe, just maybe, Gomer's unfaithfulness and Hosea's forgiveness symbolized God's forgiving love for unfaithful Israel?

My two cents worth.....Mary

amadeus and tabletalk like this.
  9. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You did it anyway,word twisting and verbal gymnastics, to make yourself feel better about your theory. On top of that, you didn't answer the question. How sad.

Sin is not relative. God defines sin. Not you, not me nor any man.

Your statement makes ZERO sense.

IHS...Mary

10. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    it appears to me right now that it is Law that defines sin, and we who make the laws, just as "what you bless there will be blessed here, and what you curse there will be cursed here" possibly reflects.

as to the rest, leave it for someone else if it does not resonate with you, nothing wrong with that.
    If you seek a definitive answer to your question--even though you cannot state any absolute truth yourself; how sad--plenty of ppl willing to give you one, i guess

11. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Dear sir,

You make zero sense which makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with you.

I gave you an absolute truth. Since you can't seem to carry on a conversation without bearing false witness I will move on.

Mary

12. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    ah, what was that? missed it, sorry, care to restate it?
    imagine how i feel, lol :) j/k, you make sense from a certain perspective, of course
    hey, and this is me encouraging you to do that, understand, if you think i am bearing any false witness, that you btw have not bothered to establish, right